Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IIHF Annual Congress 2013

Questions Meanwhile in Puerto Rico...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Well said jimmy21.
    Ironically the stated reason for Hong Kong to enter is to give them greater credibility with their national sports authorities ! There are no examples of how shutting down a national team has helped the domestic game develop. Perhaps there will be some good news about a regional event for Europe ( even a Challenge Cup of Asia in 2014 would be nice ) but I have little confidence in the IIHF getting its act together.
    Don't mind us with our 18,000 seat arena that has hosted the NHL and a full time junior rink. Living in obscurity is rewarding for somebody. I just don't know who.I certainly hope the Tourney's in Chile and Argentina that I plan on attending this July representing PR create some sort of solidarity among developing countries in this part of the world so that we can prove to the world we're NOT going away .Stay tuned as this should prove to be one of the oddest legs in the history of sport.

Painter- HockeyPuertoRico.Org
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

Argentina

We in Argentina (the ice hockey federation - FAHH) comply with all those requirements - except the rink. We have an Olympic-sized ice rink but it's semi-artificial and outdoors. But we have several leagues, deeply thorough statistics, men, women, youth... over 400 registered players, over 1.200 ice hockey hours a year on average...

The only problem is, the IIHF member for Argentina is NOT the ice hockey federation, but an in-line club that does not develop the sport... {sigh} So there are hundreds of ice hockey players in Argentina that are completely outside IIHF's scope and are being discriminated and excluded... and prevented from representing their country.

We are pushing for the federation to be recognized. We hope that the new IIHF rules may help us with that; since they have made some modifications to the rule that states that a country may have 2 different members (one for inline, one for ice); so we are trying to resolve our problems once and for all once the Argentinean Ice Hockey Federation (FAHH) acquires IIHF's associate membership and the In-Line club that's currently there can go back to affiliate (in-line) membership.

We really hope we can solve this as soon as possible. If any of you guys know someone in the IIHF that could help us, just let us know. We've already talked with some people (but I don't want to say anything just in case) but are still waiting for a response. Perhaps now that the Worlds and the Congress are over, we will receive an answer... let's cross our fingers!

Meanwhile, we are still working for the development and growth of ice hockey; and the 9th edition of the End of the World Cup is ever closer, less than two months away. Chile has confirmed participation, Brazil is very likely to come too. Painter (as he just told us in the previous comment) is coming to watch the Cup... too bad that Puerto Rico couldn't gather a whole team to come... but well... maybe next time.

I will keep you posted, as always, as soon as I have any promising news about the situation in Argentina... for now, we are still fighting, and still trying to resolve things.

Noe.

What if this is as good as it gets?

http://www.fahh.com.ar - Federación Argentina de Hockey sobre Hielo (Argentinean Ice Hockey Federation)

IHF Member Bulgarian_Hockey_Fan's Avatar
    Too bad for Greece and Ireland. We would watch interesting matches. Hope IIHF to change his mind . Hope to see you soon and Chinese Taipei in men WC . They have many young players . Should already have good men team .

The minimum ice standard is 56x26. Although unlikely to ever affect national team eligibility, NCAA Division III Manhattanville College plays in an arena which measures 63.4x23.5.

Just an interesting note.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member

Greece

I still can't understand the logic of the IIHF. What do they care about exactly? Development of the sport or a few meters? I don't know the details about Ireland, but I do know the development of the sport in Greece. And despite having a smaller rink, the numbers have grown.
    From 2000-2008 there was only 1 team. In 2008 there were 5 Men's teams, today there are 11. In 2008 there were 0 (zero) woman's teams, today there are 3. In 2008 there were 0 (zero) youth teams. Today there are 5 youth teams and 200+ kids registered. From 2000-2008 the National Team was not participating in IIHF events. Today it is. So I ask, what is the logic behind banning the National Team? What will this accomplish? The IIHF really believes that banning the team will make the Greek corrupt politicians invest in an ice rink? Or do they believe that an investor will built a rink without a National Team in WC? In 2004, a wealthy Greek-American invested money in baseball because of the Olympics. Greece was sending a team and Greek-Americas wanted to help. Where is Greek baseball today? Well, one field is a soccer field and the other has shut down. Baseball is basically dead in Greece. Just a few "crazy romantics" continue to play. So again, I can't understand the logic behind their decision. It's like they don't know that in "smaller" hockey countries the National Team, and winning a medal makes governments and investors care. There is no logic whatsoever. If the IIHF really cared, they would help the Greek federation build a rink somehow. With investors, sponsors etc.

So I ask again, do they care about development of the sport or a few meters?

IHF Member Bulgarian_Hockey_Fan's Avatar
    DON'T GIVE UP !
    I see at the moment participants in division III are 5 .
    Maybe IIHF will change mind . . . . .

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Hockey_Fan View Post
    DON'T GIVE UP !
    I see at the moment participants in division III are 5 .
    Maybe IIHF will change mind . . . . .
    We tried to make the IIHF understand that Greece is developing ice hockey, despite the smaller rink, and if our National Team gets banned we will lose momentum. We NEED our National team participating in order to open doors. Unfortunately the IIHF doesn't care. Our efforts now are to open an Olympic size rink. If we are not successful, then Greek Ice Hockey will be dead soon.
    We really tried to keep the sport alive, with many enemies in Greece, with an economic crisis in our country... we really tried hard. People that personally know the players of the Greek National Team know the sacrifice of these players, know what they have gone through to keep it alive. But unfortunately these same players have everyday lives. Lives that have become really difficult in Greece now. Unemployed players trying to make it day by day. Other with huge salary pay cuts and debt up to their necks. It's hard, trust me. Therefore time is counting down on Greek Ice Hockey......

IHF Member
    Thanks for the update Noe.
    Good to hear you are making progress with the problem of IIHF representation.
    Good luck with the End of the World Cup.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe12 View Post
    We in Argentina (the ice hockey federation - FAHH) comply with all those requirements - except the rink. We have an Olympic-sized ice rink but it's semi-artificial and outdoors. But we have several leagues, deeply thorough statistics, men, women, youth... over 400 registered players, over 1.200 ice hockey hours a year on average...

The only problem is, the IIHF member for Argentina is NOT the ice hockey federation, but an in-line club that does not develop the sport... {sigh} So there are hundreds of ice hockey players in Argentina that are completely outside IIHF's scope and are being discriminated and excluded... and prevented from representing their country.

We are pushing for the federation to be recognized. We hope that the new IIHF rules may help us with that; since they have made some modifications to the rule that states that a country may have 2 different members (one for inline, one for ice); so we are trying to resolve our problems once and for all once the Argentinean Ice Hockey Federation (FAHH) acquires IIHF's associate membership and the In-Line club that's currently there can go back to affiliate (in-line) membership.

We really hope we can solve this as soon as possible. If any of you guys know someone in the IIHF that could help us, just let us know. We've already talked with some people (but I don't want to say anything just in case) but are still waiting for a response. Perhaps now that the Worlds and the Congress are over, we will receive an answer... let's cross our fingers!

Meanwhile, we are still working for the development and growth of ice hockey; and the 9th edition of the End of the World Cup is ever closer, less than two months away. Chile has confirmed participation, Brazil is very likely to come too. Painter (as he just told us in the previous comment) is coming to watch the Cup... too bad that Puerto Rico couldn't gather a whole team to come... but well... maybe next time.

I will keep you posted, as always, as soon as I have any promising news about the situation in Argentina... for now, we are still fighting, and still trying to resolve things.

Noe.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
    I still can't understand the logic of the IIHF. What do they care about exactly? Development of the sport or a few meters? I don't know the details about Ireland, but I do know the development of the sport in Greece. And despite having a smaller rink, the numbers have grown.
    From 2000-2008 there was only 1 team. In 2008 there were 5 Men's teams, today there are 11. In 2008 there were 0 (zero) woman's teams, today there are 3. In 2008 there were 0 (zero) youth teams. Today there are 5 youth teams and 200+ kids registered. From 2000-2008 the National Team was not participating in IIHF events. Today it is. So I ask, what is the logic behind banning the National Team? What will this accomplish? The IIHF really believes that banning the team will make the Greek corrupt politicians invest in an ice rink? Or do they believe that an investor will built a rink without a National Team in WC? In 2004, a wealthy Greek-American invested money in baseball because of the Olympics. Greece was sending a team and Greek-Americas wanted to help. Where is Greek baseball today? Well, one field is a soccer field and the other has shut down. Baseball is basically dead in Greece. Just a few "crazy romantics" continue to play. So again, I can't understand the logic behind their decision. It's like they don't know that in "smaller" hockey countries the National Team, and winning a medal makes governments and investors care. There is no logic whatsoever. If the IIHF really cared, they would help the Greek federation build a rink somehow. With investors, sponsors etc.

So I ask again, do they care about development of the sport or a few meters?
    Completely agree, i think its a disgusting decision, best of luck with everything in the future i really hope u guys manage to hang on to something

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
    We NEED our National team participating in order to open doors. Unfortunately the IIHF doesn't care. Our efforts now are to open an Olympic size rink. If we are not successful, then Greek Ice Hockey will be dead soon.
    If the IIHF did a Challenge Cup for non-compliant European nations (as it does for Asian ones), that would keep the national team in competition. Would that be enough or do you need the prestige of playing in the World Championships to sell the sport to the investors?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    If the IIHF did a Challenge Cup for non-compliant European nations (as it does for Asian ones), that would keep the national team in competition. Would that be enough or do you need the prestige of playing in the World Championships to sell the sport to the investors?
    I don't know. Announcing that the National Team will be participating at a World Championship is way better than saying that it will participate at a Challenge Cup. I don't know. All i know is that when in 2004, the National Team was organizing the "Acropolis Cup" in the Czech Republic, noone cared. But it might be better than nothing.

A short video made last year featuring the players and coaches of Greece detailing problems and needs:
    http://vimeo.com/50664370
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

IHF Member
    What if the Challenge Cups allowed for qualification for the World Championships? This is speculating that the IIHF starts a European Challenge Cup and possible even an Americas version as well, but it could satisfy both the IIHF's desire not to give automatic entry to the WHC for nations that don't meet their requirements, but still allow them to compete in international competition with the ability to compete in the WHC for the sake of investment from sponsors and other local interest that will surely disappear without that possibility.

They could simply keep at least two spots in Division III open every year for the winners of these tournaments.

IHF Member
    Seems to confirm that Georgia did apply to compete in the 2014 IHWC. Will the IIHF publish the list of rejected entries with reasons ?

http://hockey.ge/?p=168

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information