17 80.95%
  • RUS vs USA, USA will win

3 14.29%
  • CAN vs NOR, Canada will win

20 95.24%
  • CAN vs NOR, Norway will win

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: IHWC Discussion - Day 5 (AUT vs LAT, SLO vs DEN, RUS vs USA, CAN vs NOR)

Mens IHWC IHWC Discussion - Day 5 (AUT vs LAT, SLO vs DEN, RUS vs USA, CAN vs NOR)

Vote for each of the four results above:

15:15 H Helsinki Austria vs. Latvia
    16:15 S Stockholm Slovenia vs. Denmark
    19:15 H Helsinki Russia vs. United*States
    20:15 S Stockholm Canada vs. Norway

Time zone - CET

Use this thread for the games of Day 5

Post your predictions, comments, post-game reactions etc...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Austria looks surprisingly strong against Latvia, 4-1 so far in the second period.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Austria looks surprisingly strong against Latvia, 4-1 so far in the second period.
    No , Austrian Team won against Latvia 6-3 , SOG 25 -39 because a very bad performance of Latvia Goalie Masalskis , 76% save.

Undeserved win for the Danes. Absolutely nothing was working for them, except for Kim Staal who once again showed why no NHL'er will ever be more valuable for the team than he is.

I almost feel sorry for Slovenia. They play a simple and very effective game, and do it well.

By far our worst game this tournament, lucky to get the 2 points. Praise the lord, Kristan isn't having the tournament of his life.
    It would seem that something is still keeping us in the top group for another season. I wouldn't totally out rule this Slovenian team get more points though.
    However with a decent performance so can we in our remaining games...

Quote Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
    No , Austrian Team won against Latvia 6-3 , SOG 25 -39 because a very bad performance of Latvia Goalie Masalskis , 76% save.
    Masalskis hadn't played since February 17 and went through a surgery one-two weeks before leaving for Helsinki. There is no one to replace him. I think I wasn't the only one that hoped it would be 21-year-old Gudļevskis who would get the start vs. Russia (it would have been his WC debut), not Jučers.

Austrians weren't the first ones that scored a handful of goals from the blue line today, it was also done by both Russia and USA - our defense doesn't block shots, yet often end up blocking the view of Masaļskis.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    Undeserved win for the Danes. Absolutely nothing was working for them, except for Kim Staal who once again showed why no NHL'er will ever be more valuable for the team than he is.

I almost feel sorry for Slovenia. They play a simple and very effective game, and do it well.
    Arhh, it wasn't pretty and those 2 points are much appreciated, but I don't think Denmark simply was handed the game.

Geez, I'm surprised the Austrians thoroughly beat the Latvians
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Geez, I'm surprised the Austrians thoroughly beat the Latvians
    You'd be even more surprised if you saw the game.

Austrian defense was completely shaky, Latvia could more or less do what they wanted in our zone, AUT players often failed to do the very basics and looked completely paralyzed. It was a miracle that LAT didn't score more than 3 goals. In the other end AUT was pretty effective and the Latvia didn't play good defense also. Masalskis looked worse on the goals from the distance than he really was, GX is right, 2 of 3 goals from the point were not visible for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    Arhh, it wasn't pretty and those 2 points are much appreciated, but I don't think Denmark simply was handed the game.
    Maybe I am a bit harsh on them :-)

The game was probably pretty 50/50. Slovenia had some very good chances to close the game, perhaps even more big chances than Denmark.

It was just horrible to watch at times. Failed passes in their own zone, powerplays without even getting into position once during the 2 minuttes, forwards not being able to hold on to the puck after a simple and not even hard pass etc. etc.

If only Denmark would play as well against the teams they are supposed to beat, as they do against the top teams...

IHF Member
    Maybe I am a bit harsh on them :-)
    Well, with the way they sometimes play, it’s hard for us not to be :)

The game was probably pretty 50/50. Slovenia had some very good chances to close the game, perhaps even more big chances than Denmark.

It was just horrible to watch at times. Failed passes in their own zone, powerplays without even getting into position once during the 2 minuttes, forwards not being able to hold on to the puck after a simple and not even hard pass etc. etc.

If only Denmark would play as well against the teams they are supposed to beat, as they do against the top teams...
    Looks to be a work in progress and don’t know if its nerves or what, but today’s performance was sort of a flashback to last year’s game against Italy, with the same mistakes and lack creativity in our game.

The Slovenians had figured us out (like Italy), but to be fair, if you look at the recent results against Slovenia, I think we have only lost one in 5 or 6 games, but in most of them, the score has been pretty close so while we have a winning record, it’s hardly a contents we should feel too sure about.

Plus, they pretty much rely on the same kind of players/gameplan as we do, so it sort of offsets things.

Well, the US only lost to Russia 5-3. It was actually a better game than I expected it to be, as Russia put the game away late in the third.

Best game of this tournament in my oppinion Conesy (of those I've watched). This American team works hard, they will do alright this year I reckon. Semi final maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Best game of this tournament in my oppinion Conesy (of those I've watched). This American team works hard, they will do alright this year I reckon.
    Thanks. Yeah they did work hard, and you could tell that they wanted it.

Tomorrow match will be a match between USA and Raanta, unless the Finnish team as a whole increase what they have been doing so far.

Sole possibility if Leijona wish to win

I was at work and could only follow the USA-Russia game on the live ticker, though I did see the games vs. Austria and Latvia. I must admit, this American team has been a pleasant surprise. Would love to see them upset Finland and keep winning points, and maybe even compete for a medal. Prior to the tournament, I figured they'd fight to avoid relegation at this level. Most of the lineup has less than a full season of pro experience and are fresh out of NCAA D.I.......which is a very strong brand of hockey, but we're talking about putting them against KHL'ers, SM-Liiga players, etc.

Below is a link to the IIHF article on the Russia victory over the USA. The Russians were actually very complimentary of the American team and their effort. The article contains a link to video highlights. Despite giving up 5 goals, the highlights show Ben Bishop having made a number of very impressive saves.

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/...ash=7be4516a96

Surprised to see Norway, which has really emerged as a strong hockey country over the past six, seven years, lose so badly to Canada. Canada was the favorite, no doubt, but I would not have expected that kind of rout.

IHF Member
    This Canadian forward corps is the deepest, most talented group in the tournament...not surprised by any scoreline.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Surprised to see Norway, which has really emerged as a strong hockey country over the past six, seven years, lose so badly to Canada. Canada was the favorite, no doubt, but I would not have expected that kind of rout.
    Would have been worse had Canada not lost its focus for a while after going up 5-0.
    After building the five goal lead Canada seem to down shift a little bit and
    not surprisingly got bit, giving up a goal and generally getting outworked for the
    balance of the period.
    The third period saw Canada regain much of its momentum and won pretty convincingly.
    THe Norwegians started the tournament well but it's a different story playing
    Canada rather than the Danes or Slovenia.

IHF Member
    Not surprizing, actually. Norway played without Tollefsen suspended, and as soon as one of top-4 Norwegian defencemen is missing, the defense looks like mess. Norway used only 5 defencemen in first games - a unique case in th tournament. The first goal is a gift by 3rd line defenceman Solberg, the 2nd one a gift by seventh defenceman Odegaard. Though, I must say other players didn't help them, and best remaining defenceman Holos was awful too.
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

I was at work and could only follow the USA-Russia game on the live ticker, though I did see the games vs. Austria and Latvia. I must admit, this American team has been a pleasant surprise. Would love to see them upset Finland and keep winning points, and maybe even compete for a medal. Prior to the tournament, I figured they'd fight to avoid relegation at this level. Most of the lineup has less than a full season of pro experience and are fresh out of NCAA D.I.......which is a very strong brand of hockey, but we're talking about putting them against KHL'ers, SM-Liiga players, etc.
    I caught a decent amount of the game, and Team USA was really hustling. I'll admit that I was pleasantly surprised that they hung in until very late in the game-it was a fairly even game the whole time, until Russia put them away on the powerplay.

Thread Information