5 31.25%
  • USA vs FIN, Finland will win

11 68.75%
  • NOR vs SWE, Norway will win

1 6.25%
  • NOR vs SWE, Sweden will win

15 93.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: IHWC Discussion - Day 6 (AUT vs GER, SLO vs SUI, USA vs FIN, NOR vs SWE)

Mens IHWC IHWC Discussion - Day 6 (AUT vs GER, SLO vs SUI, USA vs FIN, NOR vs SWE)

Vote for each of the four results above:

15:15 H Helsinki Austria vs. Germany
    16:15 S Stockholm Slovenia vs. Switzerland
    19:15 H Helsinki United*States vs. Finland
    20:15 S Stockholm Norway vs. Sweden

Time zone - CET

Use this thread for the games of Day 6

Post your predictions, comments, post-game reactions etc...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Austria will lose this game and badly.. They won Latvia, but dunno was that a such a great performance what scores tell us. German defence is much better. Something like 4-1 German.

Swiss need to win obviously this game to be top of their group. This first game vs weaker side and it is interesting to see how they will play. Tho I believe Swiss will take an easy win. 5-1 Swiss.

Im not impressed at all how Finland is playing. So lucky that they dont have any losses yet. Antti Raanta, if he is his zone it might be a tight game, but I have to say that Team USA wins more likely today. Ben Bishop, tho... hes been really bad... I hope that Finland shows their ability and upsets USA..

Go Norway! Lars Haugen back in the game after Volden playing vs Canada. Anything to say bout Swedes. Almost as bad as Finland so far. Tight game coming.

I think Austria will upset Germany today. The Swiss, Finns and Swedes will post comfortable wins. USA will have a bad letdown after the emotional game against Russia.

IHF Staff
    Austria will have heavy legs today while the Germans had a day more to rest. Austria needs to play as in the Olympic qualifiers to stand a chance and so far our defensive play especially against Latvia was nowhere near that. AUT was very efficient yesterday in scoring, goalkeeping was good as well but the rest was mediocre at best. Latvia was just too "stupid" to take advantage from their superiority in our zone. The Germans won't be I guess. To me it seems the Austrian players poop their pants as soon as the opponents pressure. they become timid and inconsequent and retreat to just block the space around the goal instead of playing aggressively and challenging the puck carrier. With a lot of good luck this didn't fall back at them against Latvia but you can't count on winning games like this consistently.

Otherwise I see the favorites win, most interesting game will be USA vs. FIN. US was very good against strong Russians, I see them very likely to beat the hosts...

IHF Member
    Marc,

Have u seen Finland in this tournament? Not a single good game so far... It would be a miracle if Finland takes a "comfortable" win.

But we all have our own opinions so.. (:

2-0 final to Germany over the Austrians. Right now, Switzerland is up 7-1 on the Slovenes.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    2-0 final to Germany over the Austrians. Right now, Switzerland is up 7-1 on the Slovenes.
    Was following this game on live ticker and was shocked to see Slovenia up 1-0 at the
    six minute mark and out shooting the Swiss 5-0 to that point.
    Alas, you knew that wasn't going to last long and for the rest of the game
    Switzerland dominated completely, with a 38-9 SOG count the last 54 minutes of the game.
    Martin Gerber played but effectively had the day off.

IHF Staff
    Bitter loss today for Austria. Contrary to what I had expected AUT dominated the game pushing the Germans into their defense and getting plenty powerplay opportunities. They created a plus in chances but failed to convert on even the best ones. The Germans however were efficient, grabbed the lead in the second with Kink manoevering through between the Austrian defenders and beating Starkbaum one on one. In the third period AUT stalled a little bit but still found chances to tie it. None could be used and when the goalie was pulled again Kink was on the way to score but Vanek slashed him and so the Germans were awarded a technical goal for the 2:0 final score.
    Yesterday AUT won completely against the course of the game, today it was the other way round. The best game of team AUT on IHWC since a long time but no points. Now Austria is at the mercy of the upcoming games of Latvia and has to hope that they don't reap more then 3 points in their games against foremost France and Germany. Austria's prospect to get points against Slovakia, Finland and Russia is close to zero, so we will stay with the three we have.

Also, per USA Hockey's Twitter account, John Gibson is starting in net for us

Team USA defeats Finland 4-1, with a hat trick by Craig Smith. John Gibson was strong in net, and the team played spectacular.

Sweden beats Norway 5-1

Gibson is really a great goalie already at the young age of 19. True NHL material. This USA team keeps surprising me, in a good way.

U-S-A!!!!!! U-S-A!!!!!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Gibson is really a great goalie already at the young age of 19. True NHL material. This USA team keeps surprising me, in a good way.

U-S-A!!!!!! U-S-A!!!!!
    He's kinda like Tom Barrasso at a similar age...
    without Barasso's legendary snarkiness, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post

U-S-A!!!!!! U-S-A!!!!!
    I honestly can see Gibson at Sochi-he's really impressed me everytime I see him play. Very composed, calm, and makes amazing saves.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    I honestly can see Gibson at Sochi-he's really impressed me everytime I see him play. Very composed, calm, and makes amazing saves.
    How about Gibson and Craig Anderson?
    Certainly a better looking tandem at this point than say, Miller and Quick.

Thread Information