View Poll Results: Who will win the quarter-final between Switzerland and Czech Republic

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Switzerland (S1) will win

11 50.00%
  • Czech Republic (S4) will win

11 50.00%

Thread: QF: Switzerland (S1) vs Czech Republic (S4)

Mens IHWC QF: Switzerland (S1) vs Czech Republic (S4)

Thursday May 16, 14:45 GMT+2

Quarter-final between Switzerland and Czech Republic, discussion thread.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Switzerland has a lot of confidence and Czech Republic will want to revenge themselves. I think Switzerland will take this.

IHF Member
    Tough call this one.
    The Swiss have been on a roll since the get go but the Czechs have
    a lot of pride and winning history at this event.
    It would not surprise me in the least to see this match ended in OT or even a SO.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Tough call this one.
    The Swiss have been on a roll since the get go but the Czechs have
    a lot of pride and winning history at this event.
    It would not surprise me in the least to see this match ended in OT or even a SO.
    Swiss advance will be unpleasant surprise. I can not imagine it even though I know how good Switzerland is.
    I believe Czech team play, heart and typical luck will work again....
    View from overseas perhaps not so but it is big game for whole country so I hope it will be like RUS - CAN qf in Vancouver...

3 to 2 for the Czechs.

I am pretty surprised of these results for SUI. Strong constant performance over 7 games. This
    year there were clear wins against teams we are supposed to beat (and often do not). That was my
    main wory.
    As we played the better team early we must be carefull not to overestimate these results. My
    concern remains over too many stupid penalties specially against Norway which could cost us
    dearly in QF.

Young guys and rookies had a great start, BERRA and GERBER delivered what was expected of them.
    The routinier like SEGER,GARDNER,VAUCLAIR maybe played their best championship and a special
    congrats to ROMAN JOSI who is the leader in D. What progress he made in a year with SHEA WEBER
    in Nashville is just amazing. His potential is even greater as he only is 22 or 23

Looks like Simpsons made everything right and he slowly gives this team a personality. In view
    of the absentees from NLA (ROMY,WICK,BIKOV,BEZINA) I would say that my expectation are
    overpassed happens what happens.

Now in QF we are the underdog again. CZECH is a powerhouse and a regular medal contender knowing
    how to play these live or die games.

As I am awfull at guessing results I'd say CZECH win after hard thought battle. Of course hope I
    am wrong.

for ZDENEK KUTLAK (leaving AMBRI after six season in NLA, presently playing for Czech Republik)
    its time to stop the Swiss. Interview in German about CZECH and SWISS TEAM.(google trans)

http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...1%29-vs-Czech-
    Republic-%28S4%29&p=245155#post245155

sorry about double post but somebody turned my EDIT POST BUTTON OFF
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 15-05-2013 at 17:09.

I dont know why but Im still waiting for the Swiss to slip up, hopefully they can keep this up but I will go with the Czechs in a "upset."

I feel that the Swiss are in the end a bit unlucky to get the Czech in this game as Czechs are the team that can struggle early on, but bring the top performance when needed. If this Czech team brings their top game and not what they have shown earlier in the tourney then it will be very hard for the Swiss to win this game.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Compared to Sweden or Canada I do prefer the Czech.

Swiss advantage will be the fact that Czechs are favourite in this game. Everything is possible, Czechs are more experienced in this kind of games, but Swiss are playing great at this WC.

Hopp Suisse !

Toughest game of the tournament to pick.......Czechs have a lot of NHL guys now and are playing much better as the tournament moves along, but the Swiss have proven themselves over 7 games. I'm picking the Swiss but I think this is a 50-50 type game....either team can win.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Toughest game of the tournament to pick.......Czechs have a lot of NHL guys now and are playing much better as the tournament moves along, but the Swiss have proven themselves over 7 games. I'm picking the Swiss but I think this is a 50-50 type game....either team can win.
    At least finally the "Flying Swiss Hitmen" are back.

But this time they are not only flying because they get hit by opponents' bigger guys and do not only hit the post or crossbar with their shots...

Finally results in Junior tournaments and playing NHL-stars during lock-outs seems to pay off.

Because now they really fly faster over the ice than any other team I have seen so far at this tourney. And with this speed and eventually also the critical mass, they can send with their hits also opponents' bigger guys flying all over the ice.

And our hopes for always the next generation to finally figure out where the goal stands seems gradually to be fulfilled. However, I am not sure if there was ever a team having been served so many own-goals by opponents. But then Canadians would say that you have to earn even those goals somehow by yourself...
    And that's what this team did.

So now all ingredients for regular QF and occasional SF are there - to use them to the max in an all-or-nothing game is something else and has to be learned just as long and hard as all the other ingredients. Only if luck is once again on their side and the puck is rolling 100% their way, there will a shortcut through the backdoor in this process.
    Otherwise Czechs with their routine and know-how will prevail....

The Czechs will take this one. I'm not saying this because I wish them to win, but because of certain hockey conformities.

It is one thing to pull off an upset on the group stage, when most of the big countries are still warming up, more or less. But it is wholly another thing to beat an elite nation with far more talent - one that knows that they'll have to start playing like they can.

After all, none of the wins they've got from the big ones have been decisive. They've been close, one-goal games - in other words, typical meetings when the supposed favorite has not done all of its homework and other side's done some extra prepping. It's not like they've been beating teams truly going for the gold star.

So... it has been an impressive run for the Swiss. But this will be the final exam. Are they ready to shut down an elite nation bringing its A game? If they can, we'll be likely witnesses to another member entering the club.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post
    So... it has been an impressive run for the Swiss. But this will be the final exam. Are they ready to shut down an elite nation bringing its A game? If they can, we'll be likely witnesses to another member entering the club.
    The answer to that question so far is...yes!
    2-0 Switzerland mid way through the game and the Swiss are doing their thing...
    Montreal Canadien pickup Raphael Diaz assisted on the second Swiss goal.

That was a great match and the Swiss just keep on rolling.

Well... that was quite something.

Welcome to the club. It is safe to say, since now it's evident that this squad can go all the way.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

The worst day in Czech hockey history. I hope Hadamczik get out. Two losts with SWITZERLAND?? and no win against really strong team... Alois Hadamczik is bad coach. Yes, it is typical after loss but last three years - every year teriblle loss with Sweden (2011), Slovakia (2012). Two loss with Switzerland. LOL. Maybe 8th place. The worst in history. No motivation for players.
    Hadamczik, get out. Congrats to Switzerland. But I think that SUI will be on 4th place. No chance against really good teams like USA.

Well... that was quite something.

Welcome to the club. It is safe to say, since now it's evident that this squad can go all the way.

The nonsense I think. The Czechs were weak this year. Sweden and Canada had bad luck against SUI. 4th place for Switzerland without any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by CZMajkl View Post
    The nonsense I think. The Czechs were weak this year. Sweden and Canada had bad luck against SUI. 4th place for Switzerland without any doubt.
    Obvious sour grapes, I think.

It is plausible, albeit a long shot, that a weaker team can pull an upset against a handful of elite nations on the group stage because they may not have been all mentally there - I was leaning towards this explanation as well and am not ashamed to admit it. But pulling the same stunt in a QF is far more difficult, especially when the opponent does not expect an easy game. Or are you saying the Czech players were that unprofessional?

I know I'm not ashamed to admit that I was wrong. Which is something you should do too, once you get over the disappointment. They're the real deal.

IHF Member
    Congratulations to Switzerland on their win today! What a great accomplishment for them and hopefully a sign of things to come. Somebody said above "welcome to be club". I think this will be the appetizer before the meal (Sochi 2014). While I don't expect them to necessarily win a medal in the Olympics next year, I do believe, with all their top players present, it will be a coming out party for them on a huge scale.

On another disappointing note, the attendance in the first two quarterfinal games was abysmal.
    I don't know if it's the price of the tickets or the time the games are played but a combined attendance of 7,743! for two quarterfinal games is embarrassing and pathetic. In comparison, last year, the first two quarterfinals (both with non-host countries playing) had a total attendance of 19,087. And that was with Norway playing in one of the games! How does attendance get reduced by 11,344 people (or 59.43%)?

I love Sweden and Finland, but I hope that they don't host a World Championships again for a long, long time.

IHF Member
    In the just completed Finland-Slovakia QF, just over 9500 people attended. Disgraceful numbers for a Quarterfinal in which the host country was playing. This makes me think it is all on the organizers and not the fans. I'm hearing on other forums that the prices for these games were at the same level as Olympics and World Cup (Soccer) tickets. I cant wait for 2015 when the Czech Republic hosts. They seem to understand how to run a tournament and not lock out the most passionate fans by making tickets unrealistically expensive.

Banned
    When was tha last time when SUI won the medal on WC?

Quote Originally Posted by badoo lover View Post
    When was tha last time when SUI won the medal on WC?
    1953 AFAIK. Last time in semis was 1998 though.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by otgoal21 View Post
    I cant wait for 2015 when the Czech Republic hosts.
    With results like this year and Alois Hadamczik as Head Coach, it won`t be another great atmosphere like in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by otgoal21 View Post
    In the just completed Finland-Slovakia QF, just over 9500 people attended. Disgraceful numbers for a Quarterfinal in which the host country was playing. This makes me think it is all on the organizers and not the fans. I'm hearing on other forums that the prices for these games were at the same level as Olympics and World Cup (Soccer) tickets. I cant wait for 2015 when the Czech Republic hosts. They seem to understand how to run a tournament and not lock out the most passionate fans by making tickets unrealistically expensive.
    There was some real criticism - it could even be called a minor scandal - of the ticket prices last year, and it appeared that the Finnish organizers did learn something from it, most of the games were far more accessible this year, even the Team Finland games when they faced weaker opposition. The most expensive ticket was for FIN-RUS, where they charged 196€ a seat (and still managed to get almost full house).

But it appears they decided to go out with a bang. For the final game in Helsinki, this QF match? 250€(!!) a seat. And yet they managed to get the house almost 3/4 full. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that we Finns really like our hockey.

Seriously though, this makes all the "Europe's last dictature" talk surrounding next year's games seem like peanuts.

Those ticket prices are insane. I could almost eat for an entire month for less than the price of watching 60 mins of hockey.

I really think those prices are a disgrace and a slap in the face of less fortunate fans.

IHF Member
    Wow.
    How about a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T?
    The Swiss are no fluke...they play a fundamentally sound game, get solid goaltending
    and have just enough scoring punch to get it done.
    They are frustrating as hell to play against because they don't give
    their opponents too many openings.
    Speaking of being frustrated as hell...at least your team had been on the podium
    three years running with a gold just a couple of years ago.
    Canada...my team?
    What's that now?....four years in a row eliminated in the quarters?....argh!
    And what really hurts is they had the potential...not realized, of course.

But it appears they decided to go out with a bang. For the final game in Helsinki, this QF match? 250€(!!) a seat. And yet they managed to get the house almost 3/4 full. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that we Finns really like our hockey.
    I just checked the semi-final prices, and the tickets alongside center ice cost SEK2240 (260€). Curves and behind the goals cost SEK1290 (150€). Seats in the upper seating, section C, are SEK530 (60€).

The worst day in Czech hockey history. I hope Hadamczik get out. Two losts with SWITZERLAND?? and no win against really strong team... Alois Hadamczik is bad coach. Yes, it is typical after loss but last three years - every year teriblle loss with Sweden (2011), Slovakia (2012). Two loss with Switzerland. LOL. Maybe 8th place. The worst in history. No motivation for players.
    Hadamczik, get out. Congrats to Switzerland. But I think that SUI will be on 4th place. No chance against really good teams like USA.
    You need to learn to lose with class.

Switzerland this year has defeated everybody they've faced. Not just the Czechs, and not just the Czechs. Suck it up, and show a little respect for a team that's bloody well deserved it.

IHF Member
    Steigs #31 and Heatleysucks #29: thank you..... you wrote, what I was thinking.
    Cheers, Franco

Thread Information