Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kontinental Hockey League 2013/2014 (transfers, news, discussions)

On their Instagram account, Medvescak said they signed Mathieu Carle, he of the Syracuse Crunch
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Mathieu Carle played with Syracuse in the season 11/12 with 76/40 +6. His two last clubs were DINAMO RIGA 35/5 +2 and GENEVA SERVETTE where he finished the season. 19/4 +1.

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-ma...khl,40238.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Mathieu Carle played with Syracuse in the season 11/12 with 76/40 +6. His two last clubs were DINAMO RIGA 35/5 +2 and GENEVA SERVETTE where he finished the season. 19/4 +1.

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-ma...khl,40238.html
    Shoot, this is what I get for not doing my proper research. Anyways, looking up his stats from Europe, he doesn't necessarily seem to be an elite caliber signing.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Ilya Kovalchuk stunned the New Jersey Devils and the NHL by 'retiring' from the NHL. By filing his retirement papers, he has voided the remaining 12 years of his Devils' contract, but also forfeits the remaining $77 million U.S. that New Jersey still owed him.

Kovy made no secret of his desire to return home to Russia. My guess is that he signs with SKA St. Petersburg, and becomes the KHL's biggest star. He'll make huge money there, and be home where he wants to be.

Score one for the KHL vs. the NHL. Kovalchuk is only 30 I think.......this is the first time a true NHL-level superstar in his prime spurned the NHL for the KHL.

Does this open the floodgates for others to follow?

Does the NHL argue that he can't 'retire' only to sign a few days or weeks later in the KHL, and that he owes his services to New Jersey?

Very interesting situation for sure.

Jersey agreed to void the contract. They had the option to hold it, which would have stopped Kovy from signing in KHL or anywhere else according to IIHF rules... but I think the Devils are as happy to be rid of the contract as Kovalchuk is to be back in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Does the NHL argue that he can't 'retire' only to sign a few days or weeks later in the KHL, and that he owes his services to New Jersey?
    My senses and sensibilities say that this hinges entirely on the stance of the Devils. If they and Kovalchuk are in agreement over voiding the contract and there's no bad blood between them, then everything should be fine and dandy, making Kovalchuk a contractless player who is free to sign wherever he wants, at least outside the NHL.

While the NHL can argue that the retirement clause should not be used like this - and it really shouldn't - I'd still say that ultimately the blame still lies in the league for having such a clause in the first place. If they don't want anyone else exploiting it, they should patch it up. Some might say it has been a sensible clause since it's unthinkable for a player to void their contract like this, but said unthinkability stems from the fact that a player good enough for the NHL does not usually wish to switch leagues, especially if they're making seven figures.

So the NHL should just accept this happened this one time and make sure it doesn't happen again. If they start disputing the loophole in their own practices, they're acting like a butthurt kid who's used to having first dibs on the best toys on the sandbox but one morning finds out that there's another big one who won't turn 'em over simply because he says so.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Banned
    I just gotta say wow. I'm amazed. And dazzled. I wonder how many more russians will go to the KHL this season. Fedotenko left if I am right, and some guy who was on the leafs team... another kostitsyn, and who knows, maybe Grabovski is next...

But still, wow, I am shocked.

How does this fit in with the much touted understanding between NHL/KHL to respect each others contracts? Will the NHL continue to respect KHL contracts if Kovalchuk signs with KHL after officially "retiring"?
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

I see no problem. Kovalchuk retired, has no NHL contract anymore, can sign in KHL. No problem. Look, Nichushkin did the same - terminated his contract in KHL to be able to play in NHL.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

After googling a bit, it seems that Nichushkin had an opt-out clause in his contract after 1 year, which he negotiated with the club to extend to the first year as well.

There is a big difference between ending a contract after a re-negotiation and compensation and saying that you will retire.

If Kovalchuk does continue to play, he did not in fact retire.

I can understand his motivation to come home to Russia and play, but why did he sign a 15-year contract? There is a saying "You made your bed, now lie in it".

I believe this will have further impact on the NHL/KHL contract validity discussions.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

No KHL contract has opt-out clause and never had.

Статья 17,
    2. Запрещается наличие условий относительно досрочного расторжения или приостановления Контрактов в связи с отъездом Игроков в Клубы других хоккейных лиг или федераций
    http://www.khl.ru/documents/KHL_lega...14_revised.pdf

google

Prohibits the existence of conditions regarding early termination or suspension of the contract in connection with the departure of Players to Clubs other hockey leagues or federations
    Yes, media claims that KHL contracts have opt-out clauses because everyone is used to it in euro hockey (especially with going to NHL). But it is not true.

Yes, KHL players want to play NHL, so they have to terminate their KHL contract at first. It is possible to 1) mutually agreement, 2) termination by a player

Nichushkin had 2 years of his contract with Dynamo Moscow (after trade), he terminated it to be free for NHL. Belov had one year contract with Omsk, IIRC he mutually terminate KHL contract.

Kovalchuk wanted to play in KHL, had valid NHL contract. He had a few options, NJ could buy the contract out or he could retire. I know, retirement is there for cases if player retires from hockey, not to switch leagues. On the other hand, player can terminate his NHL contract like this, so why not? It is not a problem of Kovy that NHL does not allow player“s or mutually termination (If I know).

So I dont see different, it is not important how the player terminates his contract. Yes, Kovy could break NHL rules, but it is problem of Kovy-NHL, not NHL-KHL. The same almost all players moving from KHL to NHL, who terminate the contract, breaks KHL rules. According to KHL rules, verbal deal is void. KHL contract does not have out clause. So, if there is verbal deal in place at the moment of signing KHL contract (Nichuskin last summer), this deal is void and KHL has all rigth not to register the termination of contract and go to court. That would be a problem for NHL...

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    How does this fit in with the much touted understanding between NHL/KHL to respect each others contracts? Will the NHL continue to respect KHL contracts if Kovalchuk signs with KHL after officially "retiring"?
    As stated already, there should be no issue whatsoever if it was a mutual agreement between Kovalchuk and the Devils to void the contract. An employer and employee are allowed to cut the attachment between them in that manner in every other profession, why should hockey be an exception?

Of course, if Kovalchuk decided to exploit the retirement clause in one-sided manner and the Devils wish to dispute it if he signs with a KHL club, things get interesting. But as of now there is no other word than the assumption that it has, in fact, been mutual. Kovy had an albatross of a contract, apparently some back problems and his heart was simply not in it anymore. One can easily see why Lamoriello would agree to just offer him a cigar and say, "do svidaniya, comrade".
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Kovalchuk wanted to stay in Russia and play for SKA after the NHL lockout ended, but he couldn't - had he done so, and had the KHL allowed him to do so, in open violation of his existing contract with New Jersey - there would have been open warfare between the KHL and the NHL as a result, which the KHL really wants to avoid.

However, by retiring from the NHL - i.e., filing his retirement papers with the NHL and the NHLPA, it is arguable that he found or manufactured a loophole in the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement.

The NHL and/or the Devils could easily argue, of course, that 'retiring,' followed by signing with another club in another league a few days or a few weeks later, is not 'retiring' at all, but is rather what is called an 'anticipatory breach' of the contract he had/has with New Jersey - basically a pre-planned, attempted circumvention.

Again, it seems that the NHL and New Jersey don't wish to argue that right now.

Would the NHL (and the Caps &/or Penguins) step in if OV and/or Malkin and/or Bobrovsky tried the same thing?

I'm betting they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Would the NHL (and the Caps &/or Penguins) step in if OV and/or Malkin and/or Bobrovsky tried the same thing?

I'm betting they would.
    Yeah, like I said. If they wish to take the gracious way out, they grit their teeth this time and let it slide, but make sure to patch the exploit before anybody else tries to pull the same.

IHF Member
    In a lot of ways this transaction is like the amnesty buyouts the owners exercised. The voided contract returns money to the team and reduces the salary cap hit, only this time the action was initiated by the player not the team.

Here is a CBC article on the situation http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-fallout.html?

@rsport_en 1m

BREAKING: Ilya #Kovalchuk has signed a four-year deal with #SKA in the KHL.

"SKA has signed four-year deal with Ilya Kovalchuk, former New Jersey Devils attacker and two-time World Champion with Team Russia. "

http://en.khl.ru/news/2013/7/15/25186.html[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by vorky; 15-07-2013 at 12:39.

Banned
    Does anybody knows what are the taxes on contracts in NHL and in KHL.
    I supposed that in NHL is minimum 30-40% of contracts and what is in the KHL. Probably 0%
    That is maybe the reason why the big Russian guys come home...

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by badoo lover View Post
    Does anybody knows what are the taxes on contracts in NHL and in KHL.
    I supposed that in NHL is minimum 30-40% of contracts and what is in the KHL. Probably 0%
    That is maybe the reason why the big Russian guys come home...
    13%.

Quote Originally Posted by FanSKA View Post
    13%.
    13% that in cases of players like Kovalchuk get's covered by the team anyway? Or will he actually pay his bit?
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Nice to see Eric Belanger join Avto too! All the NHL fans will say instantly 'he's 35 too old/past it' ect but I think its good for Avto!

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    13% that in cases of players like Kovalchuk get's covered by the team anyway? Or will he actually pay his bit?
    He pays his money.

The people in Russia pay the income tax - 13%. It doesn't depend on the salary. If a person lives in Russia less than 180 days in the year, he pays 30% the income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by FanSKA View Post
    He pays his money.

The people in Russia pay the income tax - 13%. It doesn't depend on the salary. If a person lives in Russia less than 180 days in the year, he pays 30% the income tax.
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Lev sign Zherdev wow. Is this first time that Russian star player has signed for non Russian khl club, I think. They have great team on paper, one to follow this year

Quote Originally Posted by HATE View Post
    Lev sign Zherdev wow. Is this first time that Russian star player has signed for non Russian khl club, I think. They have great team on paper, one to follow this year
    Umm, Dadonov was quite surprising signing in Donetsk. Maybe Spiridonov to some extent.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member

Friendly Match

Medveščak - Torpedo 3:1 (0:0, 1:0, 2:1)

Does anybody have roster of Medvescak for that game?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Does anybody have roster of Medvescak for that game?
    http://doc.r-hockey.ru/protocols/201...724/256451.pdf

So, Antropov returns to Barys, great signing for them. We need lockout more often :D

IHF Prospect
    Vladimir Antipov will be the new captain of Severstal Cherepovets.

http://slovakkhl.sk/3563-antipov-pov...o-kapitan.html

So, what's up with Jakub Klepis? Where is he heading, any news?

Banned
    I read something from a Croatian website that the KHL has attracted Pepsi as a sponsor.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppa View Post
    I read something from a Croatian website that the KHL has attracted Pepsi as a sponsor.
    Yes, there is also an article on the official english website: http://en.khl.ru/news/2013/08/30/25218.html

IHF Member
    Finally! The new season begins today with the Opening Cup between Dynamo (Moscow) and Traktor.

It will be shown on LAOLA TV and possible elsewhere too:
    http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/live/dyna...sk/131139.html
    (19:30 Moscow time, which I think is 17:30 CET).

For those who can't watch on LAOLA - http://cdn.livetvstatic.ru/webplayer...63&ci=167&si=2

IHF Member
    Information about salary budgets of KHL clubs in latvian Lats (1 LVL=2 usd roughly)

Place Club Salary budget LVL
    1. SKA 20 339 018
    2. Ak Bars 17 362 996
    3. Metallurg Mg 16 543 920
    4. Salavat Yulaev 16 020 386
    5. CSKA 15 446 592
    6. Traktor 14 059 024
    7. Dinamo M 13 848 934
    8. Avangard 13 792 303
    9. Lev 11 865 672
    10. Lokomotiv 11 462 072
    11. Donbass 11 452 279
    12. Atlant 9 809 680
    13. Barys 8 998 458
    14. Neftekhimik 7 356 993
    15. Severstal 7 129 440
    16. Sibir 6 506 112
    17. Vityaz 6 273 557
    18. Amur 5 893 228
    19. Automobilist 5 629 408
    20. Torpedo 5 628 324
    21. Yugra 5 565 120
    22. Spartak 5 191 040
    23. Dinamo Mn 4 687 104
    24. Admiral 4 601 991
    25. Dinamo R 4 279 579
    26. Metallurg Nk 3 105 882
    27. Slovan 2 976 264
    28. Medvescak 2 892 710

Information taken from http://sportacentrs.com/hokejs/khl/0..._dinamo_ceturt

Quote Originally Posted by JankS View Post
    Information about salary budgets of KHL clubs in latvian Lats (1 LVL=2 usd roughly)

Place Club Salary budget LVL
    1. SKA 20 339 018
    2. Ak Bars 17 362 996
    3. Metallurg Mg 16 543 920
    4. Salavat Yulaev 16 020 386
    5. CSKA 15 446 592
    6. Traktor 14 059 024
    7. Dinamo M 13 848 934
    8. Avangard 13 792 303
    9. Lev 11 865 672
    10. Lokomotiv 11 462 072
    11. Donbass 11 452 279
    12. Atlant 9 809 680
    13. Barys 8 998 458
    14. Neftekhimik 7 356 993
    15. Severstal 7 129 440
    16. Sibir 6 506 112
    17. Vityaz 6 273 557
    18. Amur 5 893 228
    19. Automobilist 5 629 408
    20. Torpedo 5 628 324
    21. Yugra 5 565 120
    22. Spartak 5 191 040
    23. Dinamo Mn 4 687 104
    24. Admiral 4 601 991
    25. Dinamo R 4 279 579
    26. Metallurg Nk 3 105 882
    27. Slovan 2 976 264
    28. Medvescak 2 892 710

Information taken from http://sportacentrs.com/hokejs/khl/0..._dinamo_ceturt
    Thanks JankS! I love financials. Shame to see Riga so low.. as always. I thought i'd see Spartak at the bottom :D

So Atlant are going to change their logo every season then? Good job they keep coming up with nice ones!

I can't wait to finish work - sleep - wake up and see Medvescak for the first time!

Dinamo Riga owners buy the Arena Riga where the teams home games are held. Probably a good move from the clubs perspective, but let's see what it means.
    http://www.apollo.lv/zinas/rigas-din...nu-riga/598976
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    Admiral have won their first game, against Amur, 4-3 SO.

IHF Member
    And in a few minutes Medveščak Zagreb will have their first KHL victory, a decisive one at that, and the enthusiastic crowd is icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubanpuckstopper View Post
    And in a few minutes Medveščak Zagreb will have their first KHL victory, a decisive one at that, and the enthusiastic crowd is icing on the cake.
    It is nice to see how good AHL team makes comedy with the Russians and the KHL!
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

Quote Originally Posted by fikret View Post
    Saying ahl team it's pretty daft. They have top players fro ahl or that were recently in nhl, and it's just 1 game, but I knew these type of comments from ignorant people will appear :D

Quote Originally Posted by fikret View Post
    Should be deleted. Mixing Hockey/sport and politics on here shouldn't happen.

Who cares what level the team is they just hammered CSKA on their opening KHL game! Plus if you check they actually have more NHL experience then CSKA do

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HATE View Post
    Saying ahl team it's pretty daft. They have top players fro ahl or that were recently in nhl, and it's just 1 game, but I knew these type of comments from ignorant people will appear :D
    I think that calling them AHL is absolutely fine and proper. THey are AHL caliber players for the most part, in my opinion. I mean, cheechoo for example could not get a contract with an NHL team, they just don't want thim... it was either AHL or KHL for him and many others.

IHF Member
    Congratulations to Medveščak, really impressive start. But it' s only one game - it's not wise to make any conclusions yet. But it will be suprise if they will end higher than CSKA at the end of season.

Medvescak is not bad but the KHL is very strong for this team. The level of skating is too powerful and there is the same problem as in the EBEL, Medvescak players are slower on the ice :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnxUeglcE0
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

Three KHL coaches have already been sacked in the first few weeks of the season (Avangard, Lokomotiv, and Atlant):

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=df306dc3ec

Nice to see Barys tearing up the league in the early going.

Also nice to see Spartak coming back from the dead to at least be competitive.

Surprised to see the Radulov-led revamped CSKA struggling so much.

doey anyone know about the exact rink size in Zagreb ?

How much smaller is it compared to the other KHL rinks in Russia and the other KHL countries?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information