Thread: Latvia - News and Discussions 2013/2014

Latvia Latvia - News and Discussions 2013/2014

Wow, call me surprised to see the LHF so early in the off-season is already getting ready for new season. Can you believe it? Ok, but serious news, we start with the LAČ can be seeing an increase of number of clubs up to nine (9), including...

* SMScredit.lv
    * Dinamo/Juniors (formally HK Juniors)
    * Liepājas Metalurgs
    * HK Zemgale/JLSS
    * HK Ozolnieki/MONARCH
    * HS Rīga/Prizma
    * SK Rīga 97
    * HK Tukums
    * Unknown club from Daugavpils

For those who dont know, this is not the usual SK Liepājas Metalurgs II from previous years, the club has dropped out of the BOL but it most certainly will not be as strong. No mention of Elektrėnų Energija who have been trying to get out of the NLRL so lets see if this develops anymore. For a club who was swept by forfeits in the Bronze series, Ozolnieki seems just fine.....something didnt add up LHF.

Current Champions SMScredit.lv will not take part in the Continental Cup, instead Dinamo/Juniors (HK Juniors) will do it. Something tells me the LHF had something to do with this and not just simply SMScredit declining.

I love to see "pro" clubs being established in new towns, so I am rather excited about Tukums. (Well, Tukums has had teams in the past, but still) The rebirth of Zemgale, imo, has been very successful.

And theoretically we might end up seeing less 16-year-old's at the league - only one Prizma team. We'll see, how young the rosters of Tukums and Daugavpils will be. I guess the average age for both of them could still be under 20.

Well Ventspils hall is under reconstruction now so I wonder how that partnership will work out with Tukums. Maybe they just want their guys to play somewhere while there is no ice there? Anyone have more info on this? Do they plan to play in Vantspils down the line as well?
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Nothing really has happened or decided, but first signs are optimistic.

Some information has come out about Daugavpils club, they are still without a name and a logo but working on a logo and the name is likely to be "Lokomotiv." The core of the club will be made up of former players and current youth players so GX guess of them being around 20 seems true. Jurijs Agureikins will be head coach, assistants will be Martjušovs and Čerņigovs, confirmed players Deniss Kurelass, Andrejs Kondrovskis-Kudrjavskis, Ivans Kokins, and Aleksandrs Dobrovoļskis.

HK Kurbads from Riga will enter for the first time in next Latvian Virsliga.
    "HK Kurbads is in the Latvian hockey business from more than 16 years. Now is the right time to take this step for the club and become one of the Latvian championship participants. Teams will be composed of several well-known and experienced hockey players, but the place will definitely be given to new players. Our goal in the first season will win the championship" said Manager Edgars Svencis

Team will be coached by former Juniors Riga coach Aigars Razgals

Six teams confirmed their partecipation at the next Latvian League: HK Kurbads, Dinamo/Juniores (new name of HK Juniores) HK JLSS Zemgale, HS Riga/Prizma, HK Daugavpils and Ozolnieki/Monarch. HK Tukums' partecipation is still in doubt.
    Last champion SMS Credit isn't in the starting grid after having waived the participation at next Continental Cup. Also Riga '97 and Liepaja Metalurgs won't play in next edition beginning next September 7

Thread Information