Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fresh New Start

A Fresh New Start

With the ignominious departure of Wllie Fay I think it is only right that we draw a line under those bad old days and open a new thread that will hopefully see us move forward to a brighter future for the sport we all love. Just like the switch from B.C to A.D. but without the religious overtones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mick; 12-06-2013 at 17:59.

If they had a triple thumbs up-Puerto Rico would give it to you. We are doing the same, burying the dead, and proudly going to Argentina and Chile to show allegiance and demonstrate that logic,dedication and perseverance wins every time.
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

Brutal y buena suerte 'Chacho

IHF Prospect
    Is the league back for you guys?
    I understand there was trouble with the rink in Dundalk.
    I've wanted to come over and play in the Irish league for a long time

Hi Rades,

No games or leagues as of yet because there's no ice rink yet. What Mick means by a fresh new start, is a complete overhaul within the Irish Ice Hockey Association which will hopefully mean that in the future, there will be games and leagues.

I concur with Mick and positivity is the order of the day now. There are elections for executive positions within the organisation at the AGM next week and a further election for the President later in September some time.

Madeleine

Correct and right Madeleine and I do hope that clubs are working to get teams together as I think the news about the Citywest rink is very plausible. Clubs need to hit the ground running so that League Fixtures can be played as soon as the doors open. They also should be aware that the infrastructure will be a lot better as LUAS trams run quite near to Saggart where the hotel is.

Congrats to all of Irish hockey on the upcoming elections that will result in new leadership.

Has the IIHA website or the FB page been updated? Who actually controls them now?

Hi Mark, the elections have taken place already as covered on another thread. The Facebook page continues as before. At the moment it is basically a shrine to Willie Fay but hopefuly it will in time reflect the new status quo. There is a new website, Kevin Kelly controlled the last one and he is no longer involved. The address is http://www.irishicehockeyassociation.ie/
    If i can assist with any specifics just let me know.

I took a spin up to CityWest Hotel in Saggart today. This is the location of the proposed semi-rigid structure to house the new ice rink that was revealed at the 2011 AGM just over a month ago.
    Sadly there is no sign of any work going on that might eventually lead to its construction and staff at the hotel, which I believe to be the biggest in Europe, were unaware of any new additions to their facilities.
    Willie Fay had a history of breaking news at AGM's which failed to materialize, I specifically remember him announcing after a staged phone call that the Dundalk Ice Dome would soon be operational once again within months and yet we still await that piece of good news. Thankfully I have more faith in Aaron Guli and the new crew and trust he will keep us posted once any development occurs.

IHF Member
    Ireland is set to participate in two weeks to the european qualification tournament for next year's IIHF inline WC Division I. Any more info?

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=cd7dc539bb

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I took a spin up to CityWest Hotel in Saggart today. This is the location of the proposed semi-rigid structure to house the new ice rink that was revealed at the 2011 AGM just over a month ago.
    Sadly there is no sign of any work going on that might eventually lead to its construction and staff at the hotel, which I believe to be the biggest in Europe, were unaware of any new additions to their facilities.Willie Fay had a history of breaking news at AGM's which failed to materialize, I specifically remember him announcing after a staged phone call that the Dundalk Ice Dome would soon be operational once again within months and yet we still await that piece of good news. Thankfully I have more faith in Aaron Guli and the new crew and trust he will keep us posted once any development occurs.
    What??? So there's not going to be a rink after all? I should have known. The usual Bullshit. I'd rather people would just say it out straight rather than giving everyone false hope. Every year there's a bit of a buzz about some business man/entrpreneur willing to have a go at providing a rink, only for them to inevitably fall flat on their faces before the first hurdle.

The solution was there - the Paddy Power option may have worked. Too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    What??? So there's not going to be a rink after all? I should have known. The usual Bullshit. I'd rather people would just say it out straight rather than giving everyone false hope. Every year there's a bit of a buzz about some business man/entrpreneur willing to have a go at providing a rink, only for them to inevitably fall flat on their faces before the first hurdle.

The solution was there - the Paddy Power option may have worked. Too late now.
    Hi Madeline and everyone,

I think you are jumping the gun here. I spoke to the businnesman involved in this project yesterday and he indicated no concerns and that all is well. I think the fact that staff at Citywest are unaware of this project is nothing unusual. They work there and its the owners/management who make these deals. We were told November for opening and it is only July. I'd advise maybe giving them a bit more time to prove that they are in fact going to build this rink. Later and close to the time if the situation remains unchanged then I would agree with what you said. I just think these posts are a bit premature at this time.

By the way; there was NO Paddy Power Ice Rink solution that I am aware of, only trying to get an Irish team into the Olympics which was unrealistic considering the IIHF requirements and state of hockey in Ireland.

Regards

Will

Hi Madeleine, whoa, I only said no sign of it yet and the staff I spoke to had not heard of a future development.
    Apologies if you read between the lines and and thought I was saying there was something amiss. It was meant as a progress report rather than a post mortem. Completion date is not scheduled till maybe a month before Christmas so plenty of time yet. TBH I am so glad to see the back of Willie that I am happy to give this new crew the benefit of the doubt.
    So how are you keeping and how are things in Silicone Valley ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    Ireland is set to participate in two weeks to the european qualification tournament for next year's IIHF inline WC Division I. Any more info?

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=cd7dc539bb

Thanks for the info Ciremya, news to me and welcome at that !!

IHF Prospect
    It's been organised through Inline Hockey Ireland, not the IIHA- that's perhaps why people like you Mick are unaware of it. I believe they were heading off today- best of luck to them! I know it was a bit of a last minute deal as the IHI is also planning to send teams (men and women) to the FIRS championships in France next summer. As far as I'm aware that's what the main goal originally was.

Thanks Wisco and yes all the best to them. Nothing on the IIHA website/ Facebook page at all about it that I saw but they are really slow and haven't updated since the new board took over.

Bit of a strange one,this being an IIHF event while IHI are affiliated to FIRS. Anyway once again bon voyage and every success to them.

IHF Member
    Ireland 14 -Macedonia 0

Thats a paddlin!

Any guys that used to play ice on that team?

I checked that up and we were beaten 13-0 by Latvia earlier today and they go through to the IIHF Worlds proper (This was a pre-qualifier I think). Latvia beat FYR Macedonia 35 - 1 in their other game.

I checked that up and we were beaten 13-0 by Latvia earlier today.
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    Thats a paddlin!
    Sometimes it's better to just nod...

This is from the IIHA Facebook page. I think it's the first update since the AGM

Irish Ice Hockey Association
    August 13
    Team Ireland have just finished playing in the qualification tournament for the IIHF World Inline Championships, unfortunately they came second (only the top team gets through). With a win against Macedonia and a loss to Latvia. We are all proud of all their efforts and also very excited at the start of something huge as we have just begun a new stage in Irish Inline Hockey.
    If you think that you have something to contribute towards our National Training Program, both on the court or off, we welcome all that you have to offer.
    The trials and trainings will continue over the regular season with the first being in September (date to be confirmed). If you have skills that will help us off the court please send us an email or a message here on facebook.
    Once again Congratulations to the entire Team Ireland squad and a massive thank you to Vytataus and Sonya for all the hard work keeping it all together in Passau.
    Yours,
    Victor O'Brien
    Chairperson,
    Inline Hockey Ireland.

Sounds like simply re-posting IHI's note, and not one of their own.. The quiet is discomforting.

I think there might be a problem, and in all honesty I am not looking for one, but I think there is something in the IIHF bylaws prohibiting FIRS registered players from competing in IIHF competitions. I hope I'm wrong and I still hoped they'd win.Perhaps they double registered.

IHF Member
    Post it up if this is the case...

Not sure what you mean post it up, but I have no axe to grind and am not looking to get anyone into trouble.

No such bylaw, Mick. The only stipulation is that the player must be registered with the IIHF-affiliated federation (in this case the IIHA). So any FIRS-registered player would also have to be an inline member of the IIHA to be eligible for the IIHF tournament.

IHF Member
    Just wondering what the case was Mick- a lot of those players were IHI guys, I'd say they just registered with whoever they had to to go on the trip....

Yes, hopefully !
    Something at the back of my mind about it Steigs that can't put my finger on. Maybe it was something I heard at Congress. There was some form of dispute at that time about who governed inline but it did not really have any major importance to us as we had a rink then and ice was four or five times more popular.

IHF Member
    Yes, hopefully !
    Something at the back of my mind about it Steigs that can't put my finger on. Maybe it was something I heard at Congress. There was some form of dispute at that time about who governed inline but it did not really have any major importance to us as we had a rink then and ice was four or five times more popular.
    That dispute is still going on to some extent. (Not that it really ever came to a head as far as I know) Both IHI and IIHA are claiming to be the governing body of inline here. Though from what I read IIHA only recently changed their charter to state this?

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    That dispute is still going on to some extent. (Not that it really ever came to a head as far as I know) Both IHI and IIHA are claiming to be the governing body of inline here. Though from what I read IIHA only recently changed their charter to state this?
    Yes but at the higher international level this is also a point of dispute. And I think earlier IIHA charters (to use your word) also made this claim.

here's the thing, Mick (and PMC): there are two international federations that claim to control inline hockey: the IIHF (which is mainly an ice hockey federation that also has some inline activity) and the FIRS (which is an international federation that controls all inline/roller sports and not just hockey).
    From what I've gathered, each international federation recognizes a different Irish national federation for inline hockey: the IIHA for the IIHF, and IHI for the FIRS.

So Ireland can actually have in this case two national governing bodies, one for each world body. Players can be a member of one or the other, or both, and represent Ireland through whichever NGB they are a member of, at the championship of the world body that their NGB(s) is a member of.
    And as far as I know, the IIHA makes no claim to be Ireland's representative to the FIRS, and likewise IHI makes no claim to be the nation's representative to the IIHF.

...at least, that's how I understand it. Hope this makes sense.

IHF Member
    Cool stuff Steigs, cleared it up for me! Cheers

[QUOTE=Steigs;247773]here's the thing, Mick (and PMC): there are two international federations that claim to control inline hockey: the IIHF (which is mainly an ice hockey federation that also has some inline activity) and the FIRS (which is an international federation that controls all inline/roller sports and not just hockey).
    From what I've gathered, each international federation recognizes a different Irish national federation for inline hockey: the IIHA for the IIHF, and IHI for the FIRS.

So Ireland can actually have in this case two national governing bodies, one for each world body. Players can be a member of one or the other, or both, and represent Ireland through whichever NGB they are a member of, at the championship of the world body that their NGB(s) is a member of.
    And as far as I know, the IIHA makes no claim to be Ireland's representative to the FIRS, and likewise IHI makes no claim to be the nation's representative to the IIHF.

...at least, that's how I understand it. Hope this makes sense
    Yes Steigs that is correct however the point I was making was that it seemed to be an IHI/FIRS affiliated group playing in am IIHF organised competition. As I said I just hope they were all double registered I am sure they were as at other competitions where I was GM for Team Ireland proof of registration had to be shown.
    Last edited by Mick; 20-08-2013 at 12:52.

As I said I just hope they were all double registered I am sure they were as at other competitions where I was GM for Team Ireland proof of registrayion had to be shown.
    I'd be absolutely astounded if proof of registration wasn't required prior to the tournament's start. As you say, it's SOP for IIHF tournaments.

According to reports there have been several sightings of the Faylure around the place and is not in Canada at all. He was even spotted with the new IIHA President. I hope Aaron does not intend to get mixed up with bad company.
    Does this mean the outgoing cockup king chickened out of attending the last AGM for fear of the reception he would get.

It is my honest opinion that at this time Aaron Guli needs to get the pin up pictures off the website, show he is his own man and make his own decisions in order to be elected in his own right at the next General Election.

Sorry Aaron, we need to see some action from you very soon!

The college today finally agreed to take over the whole of the JJB Complex including the Ice Dome http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/08/27/d...f-jjb-complex/
    Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champions 2011

Interesting news. Hopefully they'll keep the rink and put it back into operation. Return of the DKIT Ravens?

here's hoping that they will Marc but at the minute all they are focused on is the gym to get it up and running in time so that its available to students when we start back on the 16th
    Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champions 2011

According to reports there have been several sightings of the Faylure around the place and is not in Canada at all. He was even spotted with the new IIHA President. I hope Aaron does not intend to get mixed up with bad company.
    Does this mean the outgoing cockup king chickened out of attending the last AGM for fear of the reception he would get.

It is my honest opinion that at this time Aaron Guli needs to get the pin up pictures off the website, show he is his own man and make his own decisions in order to be elected in his own right at the next General Election.

Sorry Aaron, we need to see some action from you very soon!
    Reports from whom? usually its common practice on forums to name sources or say nothing until the source is willing to go public this prevents libellous statements being made either intentional or unintentional. It's easy to say someone told me"....................." thus taking little responsibility for the statement your are making while spreading information that you cannot claim as 100% accurate. I am not having a go Mick but as this board is the only form of free expression Irish Ice hockey fans have to communite and share ideas it's important that we maintain some sort of etiquette from which we can build our numbers we do not need a facebook style gossip page thats for sure.

I have had replies from Will since he left and to the best of my knowlodge he has not been back over but I maybe wrong, would you like me to sent an email request for an update on his movements for some accurate forum information?

Good news on the JJB complex thats for sure. If the Dome does re- open here's hoping there are new faces in the management of it. Planet Ice were interested in the past. I am sure the college has looked into getting professionals involved.

I am sure the IIHA will be all over this if there is any possibility of getting it open and a league operating out of it. Although we can only expect the information when there is something fully formed of interest to report. fingers crossed.

Done Kev. See PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMc View Post
    Reports from whom? usually its common practice on forums to name sources or say nothing until the source is willing to go public this prevents libellous statements being made either intentional or unintentional. It's easy to say someone told me"....................." thus taking little responsibility for the statement your are making while spreading information that you cannot claim as 100% accurate. I am not having a go Mick but as this board is the only form of free expression Irish Ice hockey fans have to communite and share ideas it's important that we maintain some sort of etiquette from which we can build our numbers we do not need a facebook style gossip page thats for sure.

I have had replies from Will since he left and to the best of my knowlodge he has not been back over but I maybe wrong, would you like me to sent an email request for an update on his movements for some accurate forum information?

Good news on the JJB complex thats for sure. If the Dome does re- open here's hoping there are new faces in the management of it. Planet Ice were interested in the past. I am sure the college has looked into getting professionals involved.

I am sure the IIHA will be all over this if there is any possibility of getting it open and a league operating out of it. Although we can only expect the information when there is something fully formed of interest to report. fingers crossed.
    Hi Kevin, I trust you got my reply by PM regarding the whereabouts of Willy Fay. As if to re-enforce this point, according to Facebook it appears the ex-president of the IIHA turned up at a police station in his home town making accusations that he and his Family were in danger, and in fear of their lives. This phobia or irrational fear was based on innocent comments on Facebook, comments I have seen and which display little or no malice but which seem to be calculated to jeopardise this Facebook posters job, livelihood or prospects.
    Gone are the doubts about Willy's whereabouts now Kevin, evil still is in our midst, and we can only assume that some major event is about to take place that will explain the smokescreen of his alleged departure to Canada and his lies to you and others.
    Despite my previous and long running commentaries on Willy Fay's misadventures I am not however the one against whom the complaints were made, and I deem this to be further proof that it is very hard to combat the truth when it is on one's side as it is in all that I have written.

Also B/T/W it is a sad reflection of the current predicament the post Willy Fay IIHA finds itself in, that only 15 dejected people turned up at the most recent AGM. A ghost of it's former glory, when compared to the 3 to 4 hundred excited attendees that were common place in days gone by prior to The Faylure's involvement.

Also B/T/W it is a sad reflection of the current predicament the post Willy Fay IIHA finds itself in, that only 15 dejected people turned up at the most recent AGM. A ghost of it's former glory, when compared to the 3 to 4 hundred excited attendees that were common place in days gone by prior to The Faylure's involvement.
    What? 15 people? That's because there is no ice rink to keep up the momentum between the clubs. Well, if no-one turns up to vote and perhaps exercise some change then nothing will move forward. Who is the new president of the IIHA Mick?
    'There is no authority but yourself' Crass

Hi Mick, I got the PM, thanks. I have since spoke to Will to see what was happening. As he was here on a personal matter he was not under obligation to tell anyone that he was coming back or for how long. I am convinced this was not an attempt to sobatage the new IIHA or wrestle control away from anyone. Why PM it though, Will posted it on his own facebook therefore it is a reliable source for other people to form an opinion if he was having an impact on the IIHA. Surely it's better that we keep facts in the open, other wise we create the type of clique that harms the sport and it's reputation even futher.

Aanyway, at what point do we stop worrying what other people are doing? I reckon everyone is so worried what william Fay is doing beacuse there is no league or anything up and running. The sooner the Ice dome situation is settled the better. then we will see who is ready for the fresh start and who is grinding on personal issues.

So 15 people showed up? That is low, could be the fact that the Northern Players are tied up with the SNL/IHUK/IHNI or whoever handles registrations these days, that they are not eligable for IIHA AGM. Maybe the years of mud slinging has finally final stuck and people will want to see results in some form before they invest any more time and money in something that appears to be some peoples play thing or even worse, a weapon to inflict on a vendatta. Maybe it was the lack of info that is getting out, no offical IIHA site is a disaster. I was only aware of it from Will Fay at that point it was too sort notice to get it off work, also I am not sure the situation of my registration so I will have to clear that up asap.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMc View Post
    Hi Mick, I got the PM, thanks. I have since spoke to Will to see what was happening. As he was here on a personal matter he was not under obligation to tell anyone that he was coming back or for how long. I am convinced this was not an attempt to sobatage the new IIHA or wrestle control away from anyone. Why PM it though, Will posted it on his own facebook therefore it is a reliable source for other people to form an opinion if he was having an impact on the IIHA. Surely it's better that we keep facts in the open, other wise we create the type of clique that harms the sport and it's reputation even futher.

Aanyway, at what point do we stop worrying what other people are doing? I reckon everyone is so worried what william Fay is doing beacuse there is no league or anything up and running. The sooner the Ice dome situation is settled the better. then we will see who is ready for the fresh start and who is grinding on personal issues.

So 15 people showed up? That is low, could be the fact that the Northern Players are tied up with the SNL/IHUK/IHNI or whoever handles registrations these days, that they are not eligable for IIHA AGM. Maybe the years of mud slinging has finally final stuck and people will want to see results in some form before they invest any more time and money in something that appears to be some peoples play thing or even worse, a weapon to inflict on a vendatta. Maybe it was the lack of info that is getting out, no offical IIHA site is a disaster. I was only aware of it from Will Fay at that point it was too sort notice to get it off work, also I am not sure the situation of my registration so I will have to clear that up asap.
    Kevin, I'm not one to intrude on anyone's privacy and I would not put it past Willy to try to sue me. Thats why the PM.
    I stated he was here, once again you had your doubts, but it was/is still true. Did Willy volunteer to anyone that he was still here?
    A good reporter will always protect his sources and it is more important that I am accurate so that I can tell folks what is going on.

Perhaps it's the Northern thing I doubt it, but perhaps it is disgust at all the skulduggery that has gone on.

And to answer Madeleine's question Aaron is still IIHA President and I can't wait until he ups his game and gets us all talking about something positive that we can all get behind. I really want to support the new admin. but need to see some results.

Sadly there is no sign of any work going on that might eventually lead to its construction and staff at the hotel, which I believe to be the biggest in Europe, were unaware of any new additions to their facilities.
    Willie Fay had a history of breaking news at AGM's which failed to materialize, I specifically remember him announcing after a staged phone call that the Dundalk Ice Dome would soon be operational once again within months and yet we still await that piece of good news. Thankfully I have more faith in Aaron Guli and the new crew and trust he will keep us posted once any development occurs.
    This proposed rink was due to be open for the Christmas period beginning sometime in November. I am starting to have serious concerns now as there is no development taking place that I can see. I really was swept up in the enthusiasm surrounding the whole project and hope it is not just another Ice Mirage.

From post # 45 just above....
    Kevin, I'm not one to intrude on anyone's privacy and I would not put it past Willy to try to sue me. That's why the PM.

It now appears that your "correspondent " was in fact thinking along the same principle at the very time I was writing that !
    Despite never having the fortitude to debate anything written about him over the last few years as soon as he steps away from the Association and from the supposed comfort of Canada where none of this could do him harm and while "sleeping dogs" were allowed rest peacefully (as evidenced by the thread welcoming a fresh new start) he suddenly feels the need to accuse four people of acting in a threatening manner. and have a solicitor write to us to warn us off.
    Have you read any threats to his family or his person on this forum Kevin. I haven't !! Critique Yes, Plastique No !!!

Kevin, the solicitor working for this injunction junkie says he was pestered by your phone buddy in person for two weeks solid, to send off those threatening letters, so he was here just as I said.
    The family have never moved, the house has not been sold and you have been taken in by a sharp operator.
    Sorry Kevin, you believe who you want to believe, I have never misled you or anyone on this Forum - and I have never known anyone else who tried to get someone sacked and his livelihood put at risk , or others banned from hockey, or the all too many things your phone buddy was knee deep in. If you doubt me please ignore me in future, as I have no further time for an apologist for someone who has behaved in the manner he has, in recent weeks.
    Last edited by Mick; 24-10-2013 at 03:59.

Mick I am not trying to get involved in the personal situation between you and William Fay. I only comment when comments included the IIHA or the sport here. When you responded to post#39 with a PM instead of on the thread I was pointing out in post #44 that the PM made the situation seem a lot more sinister than reality (or my opinion of how things went). I would like to keep all posts factual and public as the conversation has been thus far. You also said a good report would always protect his source, but was the source not Willy Fays own facebook page? Therefore the information was already in the public domain and matters not if anyone or everyone knows where you got it? Anyway I have no personal issue with you or Willy Fay but will query the information I am given. It just so happens that I discuss hockey on here with you (to the benefit or not of the whole audience, I apologise if it make you feel that its unfair scrutiny ) while Willy fay is not a member of this forum here he is happy to respond to all queries from IIHA members via email, and he has done so, at length thus far. If you would like to discuss things in PM more often that’s fine too as long as it keeps the integrity of the thread from which the issue came. It must be said that I have seen evidence that while Willy Fay was president of the IIHA he did work to resolve the North of Ireland situation including the player eligibility and try to get a resolution to the on-going facilities crisis which also included canvasing every relevant sporting body and organisation on the Island of Ireland to try get IIHF recognition for the facility options in the North. Which leads me to the next, significantly more important matter…..

Willy Fay has been in Ireland and to the best of knowledge will be continuing with this move to Canada once his business here is concluded. And it may be of interest that it is taking longer than expected because following the purchase of the ice dome of DKIT he was asked to contact planet ice and assist with the on going negotiations between the two parties to tender a bid to operate the facility. So he is continuing to work with all parties at the request of those involved to ensure this gets resolved. We do have a real shot at this and everyone should be optimistic.

I just want to finish up by saying that there are personal issues between people which continue to rumble in the back ground but now is the time for cool heads and for everyone on here to get back involved with the association to get their opinions heard and debated in an appropriate and fair manor so together we can truly have that fresh start.
    Last edited by KevinMc; 07-11-2013 at 18:14.

There are no issues between Willy and myself however I believe he was morally ill equipped to operate in the position he wormed his way into.
    If you believe he is delaying his move to Canada to facilitate the reopening of the Dome you are entitled to your opinion, however delusional that might be.
    The battle for the North had been fought and won by a previous administration, and advice and information about how that was achieved was available and spurned. Instead Fay cosyed up to the person seeking to wreck the unity of the Association .
    I repeat Kevin I have never misled this Forum or it's readers, I have no axe to grind and could finally relax when the threat posed to the sport here is recognized and neutralized.

The battle for the North had been fought and won by a previous administration, and advice and information about how that was achieved was available and spurned.
    The battle was fought and won, by the previous administration? How is that then?

Instead Fay cosyed up to the person seeking to wreck the unity of the Association .
    Who would this be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information