Thread: 2013 Australian Junior Ice Hockey League

IHF Member

2013 Australian Junior Ice Hockey League

Some updates for the upcoming season:

• The league has expanded to six teams with the inclusion of two Western Australia teams which will be owned by the states governing body, Western Australian Ice Hockey Association. No names yet.
    • The two Victorian teams have been renamed. Melbourne Blackhawks become the Melbourne Whalers and Melbourne Red Wings become the Melbourne Red Wings. Reason being that the NHL won't the league to have the current NHL team names and colours. No logos yet :(
    • I believe the two New South Wales teams will also be renamed but nothing has been announced.

IHF Member
    Woops sorry, the Melbourne Red Wings become the Melbourne Glaciers. Sorry (no edit function to fix this).

IHF Member
    A good article by Andrew Macdougall from On the Fly Hockey: http://ontheflyhockey.com/new-look-f...and-the-ajihl/

IHF Member
    So the Perth teams were announced and the new names for the two Sydney teams were announced. So in summary the list of teams for the 2013-14 AJIHL season are:
    • Melbourne Glaciers (formally the Melbourne Red Wings)
    • Melbourne Whalers (formally the Melbourne Blackhawks)
    • Perth Pelican
    • Perth Pointers
    • Sydney Sabres (formally the Sydney Lightning)
    • Sydney Wolf Pack (formally the Sydney Maple Leafs)

The Sydney and Melbourne clubs have launched their own Facebook pages, containing their new logo designs. Nothing that I know of from the Perth clubs.

Are the Melbourne and Sydney teams only from within those cities, or are they more "regional" squads with players from other hockey centers?

IHF Member
    Im not 100% sure but I believe the players would come from around the Melbourne and Sydney areas/suburbs, much like the national league. The Sydney teams may include some players from Newcastle but that is really only other signicant hockey centre.

IHF Member
    The two facebook pages for the Perth clubs

However there doesnt seem to be an online database for this season yet, Ice Hockey Australia (IHA) used Pointsteak for the 2012 season. I have asked the IHA about this but have been ignored :(. My understanding was that the IHA created the junior league to meet the IIHF condition of entry to the junior world championships, however are they not failing on another IIHF condition that a federation is required to maintain an online database of its leagues?

You are correct that the IIHF regulations require not only that a league be played, but that the results, rosters and stats for all games/teams be listed online. Have you brought that point up in your communications to IHA? I'd be interested to get that news as well...

I don't know why they bothered to change their names......teams all over the world, including North American youth teams, use them.

IHF Member
    According to one of the teams, I think one of the Sydney teams, the league wanted a rebrand and contrary to original reports, they had permission from the NHL to use the teams names and logos.
    In regards to the online database I contacted the IHA again and made mention of the IIHF regulations but have heard nothing back. It just all seems so disorganised this year.

At least it's a step in the right direction... HOpefully an online stats system is to follow.

Thread Information