Thread: U18 national team to play in I.liga 13/14

U18 national team to play in I.liga 13/14

It has been talked about for a while now but it is officialy confirmed per SZLH's website. The U18 team will take part in all 44 rounds of the regular season of Slovakia's 2nd highest men's league I.liga. They will be playing their home games in Trnava (where a I. liga team already exists). After the regular season they will rejoin their home teams for U18/U20 play-offs before heading off to the U18 World Championship.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

The U18 team is off to a surprising start in I.liga. In their first 7 games they have 3 wins, 1 overtime loss and 3 losses so far. They have not lost in regulation for the last three games.

Of course the real tests for this team are the international games, but it's nice to see them doing so well and it will be interesting to see what kind of impact it will have on their international play (if there is any ofc).

The team finished the 1.liga season with 9 wins, 2 over time wins, 30 loses and 3 OT losses in 44 games. They finished 11 out of 12 teams beating out Považská Bystrica and having the same amount of points (34) as Topoľčany who are ranked 11th.

Maybe the most interesting statistic could be that 6 of the teams' wins came with underage goalie Matej Tomek (1997) in net, who has also recorded a 2,39 GAA and a great 93.65% save percentage.

It will be interesting to see how the team will perform at the World Championship, but I worry a bit that their 1.liga season ended a it early and that whatever was achieved while the players played together will be overwritten by their U18/U20 leagues experiences. Hopefully I am wrong about this.

It seems that the team should play in junior Extraliga next season.

Thread Information