Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Further wins for TPE and KUW one of whom will almost certainly win the championship.
    I guess you meant UAE.

A final, a bronze medal game and a relegation round game, that's how you could present round 4. Mind you THA can still go down and MGL win it all. However with 41 goals scored in 3 games, best PP and PK efficiency, hard to imagine TPE losing to UAE. Like HKG, THA has been so far a disappointement so beating MGL can maybe save them from missing on a medal a second year in a row. As for HKG, hopefully they will avoid a relegation in CCoA the year they come back in WC.

IHF Member
    Oops, yes thanks, I meant UAE.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    I guess you meant UAE.

A final, a bronze medal game and a relegation round game, that's how you could present round 4. Mind you THA can still go down and MGL win it all. However with 41 goals scored in 3 games, best PP and PK efficiency, hard to imagine TPE losing to UAE. Like HKG, THA has been so far a disappointement so beating MGL can maybe save them from missing on a medal a second year in a row. As for HKG, hopefully they will avoid a relegation in CCoA the year they come back in WC.

IHF Member
    TPE win their 2nd CCoA in a raw, the 4th in total, following their 5-2 win over UAE, outshooting their opponents 53-18. Congratulations to them. HKG save their skin with a 6-0 win against KUW. KUW is not yet relegated because THA lost 2-8 to MGL. The two will face each other on saturday and if KUW win in regulation time, THA is the one to go down. The tournament's final game will decide who get silver between UAE and MGL.

Standings after round 4
    1. TPE, 12 pts
    2. MGL, 9 pts
    3. UAE, 8 pts
    4. HKG, 4 pts
    5. THA, 3 pts
    6. KUW, 0 pt

Round 5 on Saturday (local time, GMT+4)
    TPE vs HKG, 1pm
    KUW vs THA, 4:30pm
    UAE vs MGL, 8pm

IHF Member
    Yes congratulations to TPE, a fourth CCoA win and they've never been such convincing winners before. Time to step up to the challenge of the WCs.
    HKG and THA brought in several new younger players and were weaker as a result, hopefully they will benefit in future years.
    Very impressed with the way the CCoA has developed over the years. Just wish something similar could happen in Europe and Latin America.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    TPE win their 2nd CCoA in a raw, the 4th in total, following their 5-2 win over UAE, outshooting their opponents 53-18. Congratulations to them. HKG save their skin with a 6-0 win against KUW. KUW is not yet relegated because THA lost 2-8 to MGL. The two will face each other on saturday and if KUW win in regulation time, THA is the one to go down. The tournament's final game will decide who get silver between UAE and MGL.

Standings after round 4
    1. TPE, 12 pts
    2. MGL, 9 pts
    3. UAE, 8 pts
    4. HKG, 4 pts
    5. THA, 3 pts
    6. KUW, 0 pt

Round 5 on Saturday (local time, GMT+4)
    TPE vs HKG, 1pm
    KUW vs THA, 4:30pm
    UAE vs MGL, 8pm
    Last edited by GeoffH; 21-03-2014 at 01:43.

While Thailand and Hong Kong have surprised by weaker (younger) rosters, Mongolia has done everything I'd expected of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Unfortunately Bayarsaikhan (who scored Mongolia's historic first goal at the World seniors) won't be there with him, but Mishigsuren has become one of Mongolia's top scoring threats in the past few years and he looks to be on the roster. Depending on goaltending, Mongolia could well be a contender for the top spot this year. Should be interesting to watch.
    Ok, so they won't be winning gold, but they have a shot at silver medal with any kind of win on the final day. And with their definite lack of participation at the Worlds (no appropriate arena), they're definitely wanting to show their strength and prove that they could well belong there alongside Georgia, Hong Kong and UAE.
    I think a Mongolian final-day win is not impossible. While comparing games against common opponents is not always an accurate predictor, Mongolia seemed to fare better in terms of keeping the shots-against down, while generally racking up better shots-for numbers. If that trend holds true, I'll expect Mongolia to win on the shot count, and with the offensive ability they seem to have, the UAE could have some trouble keeping up.

IHF Member
    Here are my crazy thoughts

I just realised that, unlike the Europeans, top Asian teams do not play international games outside WC (and OGQ and AWG when they are on). Why not organizing an IIHF Asian Championship?

Considering the Asia League, it wouldn’t be much of a problem to find a weekend to bring CHN, JPN and KOR NTs together. If you were to include as well CCoA reigning champion, you get a 4-team round robin tournament played over 3 days like the EIHC and EHT.

AUS and NZL could maybe even be included. There would be two 3-team groups followed immediately by the final, the BMG and the 5th/6th game. This would be played over 4 days.

And in the case PRK would somehow get involved, you could have a single-game knockout round with 6 teams. The winners would joined the host team for a 4-team medal round-robin while the losers would play a 3-team consolation round. Include a rest day and it would take 5 days to wrap this up.

In the case of a 5-team tournament, a single round-robin would take 6 days if you don't want some teams playing 4 days in a row.

If it was organized during the December international break, it wouldn’t clash with OGQ when they are on. And of course it wouldn’t be played during AWG seasons.

I don’t know if it would be possible to make this happen and if their is a will among the aforementioned countries for such an event. I’m just spitting out what crossed my mind.

IHF Member
    Tournament's over. TPE concluded with a 5th win over HKG 7-1. KUW got their expected relegation following a 10-2 loss to THA. And finally UAE win silver thanks to 3-1 win over MGL.

Final standings
    1. TPE, 15 pts
    2. UAE, 11 pts
    3. MGL, 9 pts
    4. THA, 6 pts
    5. HKG, 4 pts
    6. KUW, 0 pt

Directorate's awards
    Best goaltender: Khaled Al Suwaidi (UAE)
    Best Defenseman: Shen Yen-Lin (TPE)
    Best forward: Weng To (TPE)
    Scoring leader: Lu Lifeng (TPE), 22 pts (11g, 11a)

Video about the UAE team part way through the tournament:
    http://www.thenational.ae/sport/vide...ge-cup-of-asia

Recap on IIHF.com:
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=d2201bb28c
    During the Challenge Cup a special meeting with all the IIHF Gulf Countries was held with IIHF Vice President Thomas J. Wu and Harry Springfeld.

“There is a lot of potential in the Gulf region and we will do our best to work with all Gulf Countries together and to find out synergies for further development,” said Wu. “Everybody wants to develop which is very positive. At the same time we need also a new and creative way of thinking to accommodate the demand and further development initiatives in the Gulf Region as well as in whole Asia.”

“There is development noticeable and we see more and more competitive games as well as improvement on player development which is positive," said IIHF Asian Project Manager Harald Springfeld.

"However the Challenge Cup of Asia tournaments are only the showcase for our hockey on an international platform, while behind the scenes we’re working with each association individually and according the IIHF Asian Office National Association Assistance Program on their domestic development areas such as coaching and officiating, to create a sustainable future for hockey in Asia.”
    Last edited by Jazz; 25-03-2014 at 20:40.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

IHF Member
    The 2014 U20 CCoA will take place on 4-8 August in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. The Akuly Sakhalin (Sakhalin Sharks) who will join the MHL next season will be representing Russia. Reigning champion Japan, South Korea and Kazakhstan are the other participating teams.

http://mhl.khl.ru/en/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=339371

IHF Member
    This U20 competition is a strange event which doesn't fit with the overall objectives of the CCoA. Hope it is not taking funding away from the less developed hockey nations. Would rather see the IIHF putting their efforts into Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    This U20 competition is a strange event which doesn't fit with the overall objectives of the CCoA. Hope it is not taking funding away from the less developed hockey nations. Would rather see the IIHF putting their efforts into Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines.

Geoff
    I think it fits in with the Asian Strategic Planning Group's Asia 2020 project - the Japanese, Koreans and now Kazakhs being members of the ASPG. The 'lesser' Asian countries that compete in the men's section and women's Division I tend to have few senior players suggesting that players between 18 and 20 would likely earn a spot in the senior squad as well, possibly even the 16-20 year olds.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Logo and full schedule have been released. It will be a single round robin tournament played over 4 days.

4th August: MHL Red Stars vs JPN
    5th August: KAZ vs KOR
    6th August: JPN vs KAZ; MHL Red Stars vs KOR
    7th August: JPN vs KOR; MHL Red Stars vs KAZ

http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELE...SECTION_ID=163

IHF Member
    Just found out there was a live broadcast for the opening game.
    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=339855

3rd period just started. Red Stars lead 4-3.

Here is the IIHF stats page.
    http://www.iihf.com/channels1415/u20ccoa/statistics/

IHF Member
    The first IIHF event of the 2014-2015 season is underway. On a global basis hockey is very much a year-round sport.

Geoff

IHF Member
    MHL Red Stars won 8-3.

In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, the Red Stars are just the new Sakhalinskie Akuly club in Red Star uniforms.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Funny, I did watch the Japanese penalty shot and I thought the goalie stopped it

http://stats.iihf.com/asia/20/IHM020901_74_3_0.pdf

IHF Member
    Live broadcast for KAZ vs KOR. Same link as yesterday so I guess all games will be streamed
    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=339855

IHF Member
    Kazakhstan won their game 4-2.

IHF Prospect
    Hi,
    does anyone know where to contact if the game statistics on IIHF website is wrong?
    Whoever recorded the scores made a mistake on player's name for Asia Challenge Cup '14-
    I am trying the email contacts listed on their website, but I would really like them to read and change it before the tournament ends.

IHF Member
    Wednesday's results
    JPN vs KAZ 2-4
    MHL vs KOR 12-0

Thursday's results
    JPN vs KOR 8-2
    MHL vs KAZ 3-1

Final standings
    1. MHL Red Stars, 9 pts
    2. Kazakhstan, 6 pts
    3. Japan, 3 pts
    4. South Korea, 0 pt

IHF Member
    Sakhalin authorities proposed to organize the tournament again in 2015 and 2016 with the possibility of expanding the format.
    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELE...SECTION_ID=163

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information