Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IIHF events - new and emerging National Teams

And maybe Scotland if it get independance after the referendum!

IHF Member
    Yes, I'm sure Scotland would join the IIHF and enter the World Championships. They would start from a much stronger position than any other 'new' national team in terms of playing strength and their domestic program.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Barbemaigre View Post
    And maybe Scotland if it get independance after the referendum!

IHF Member
    With Congress meeting later this month we will find out who has entered the next WC and if there are any new IIHF members.

Hopefully one or two new members, maybe Tunisia and Turkmenistan.

Don't expect any new entries for the Senior WC but hopefully all 47 from this year will be back.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Hopefully one or two new members, maybe Tunisia and Turkmenistan.
    I'd guess Karim would know more about Tunisia's status but have they been affiliated with their NOC? I know that's what is holding Algeria back.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    I'd guess Karim would know more about Tunisia's status but have they been affiliated with their NOC? I know that's what is holding Algeria back.
    Had a look at the Tunisia NOC website and there is no mention of Ice Hockey, so it looks as though they haven't cleared that hurdle yet. Think has has held back The Philippines a swell.

Geoff

No tunisia wont be applying for membership this year but i believe morocco will be pushing for an african tournament backed by the IIHF at the congress

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    No tunisia wont be applying for membership this year but i believe morocco will be pushing for an african tournament backed by the IIHF at the congress
    For the IIHF to support it, wouldn't all competitors have to be IIHF members?

I dont think theyre expecting it to be made an official IIHF tournament, more just support the development of a regional competition to gain some interest and attention in the sport in the respective countries.

Its like a vicious circle for us, without playing we cant show theres a market for the sport and we get no support from government or sponsors, but without government and sponsors we cant play. If the IIHF are truly about making the sport global they should give us small countries a little kickstart. In all this time since the project started the NHLPA and french federation have offered more assistance than the IIHF, the IIHF seem uninterested. Id love to hear ireland and greeces experiences in dealing with the IIHF because mine have been quite negative so far.

IIHF supported the Pan-American tournament with Colombia last year.

IHF Member
    I dont think theyre expecting it to be made an official IIHF tournament, more just support the development of a regional competition to gain some interest and attention in the sport in the respective countries.

Its like a vicious circle for us, without playing we cant show theres a market for the sport and we get no support from government or sponsors, but without government and sponsors we cant play. If the IIHF are truly about making the sport global they should give us small countries a little kickstart. In all this time since the project started the NHLPA and french federation have offered more assistance than the IIHF, the IIHF seem uninterested. Id love to hear ireland and greeces experiences in dealing with the IIHF because mine have been quite negative so far.
    I don't like the IIHF stance but they have been very clear and very consistent over the past few years that they will only support the formation of national teams where there is hockey played within the country. What you have done with ethnic Algerians based outside the country is not seen as positive by the IIHF. I think in part they are still smarting from the problems they had with Armenia.
    Don't ask me what they thought they were doing letting Jamaica become IIHF members !! Maybe they thought Usain Bolt would put on skates.

Hope you manage to play in the proposed African ( North African ? ) event.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Friends, what year Chile became a member of the IIHF: in September 22, 1999, or in 2000 (website IIHF) ???
    And w
    hen did Estonia became a member of the IIHF: February 17, 1935 (the official website of the IIHF and Wikipedia), or in 1937, as stated in some other sources, including in this forum.

IHF Member
    Decided at Annual IIHF Congress

Same 47 teams in WC as this year. Division 3 to be in Istanbul, with 7 teams again.

Turkmenistan is new IIHF member and will hopefully enter the CCoA ( details in September ).

Geoff

IHF Member
    Glad to see that all teams returned, though too bad they couldn't find one more to possibly create a Division III Qualification tournament.

And glad to see Turkmenistan join the IIHF. President Gurbanguly Berdymuhammedov (a totalitarian dictator) has (somewhat bizarrely, though in Turkmenistan there is no other way) actively supported the development of hockey in the country, so hopefully the formation of a Turkmen national team comes along rather quickly.

IHF Member
    Any news from Congress about the african tournament ?

Geoff

IHF Member
    The IIHF events for the 2014-15 season are now announced and the participants known. 58 out of 73 members will be competing ( OMA are the latest new member ).
    The WC has an increase to 47 teams with BIH added. The CCoA has 12 teams with MAS, QAT and OMA added but HKG not entering.

That makes a total of 58 teams in IIHF events, with UAE competing in both.

Of the 15 not competing ;

2 ( Chile and Namibia ) are affiliate members for inline only. Either could upgrade to include 'ice' but neither seems moving quickly in that direction.

3 ( Armenia, Greece and Ireland ) have competed in IIHF events recently but don't seem likely to re-enter soon.

5 ( Argentina, Brazil, Liechtenstein, Morocco and FYR Macedonia ) have formed national teams but are unlikely to play in existing IIHF events. Further regional events would possibly help them to play.

Jamaica has ambitious plans but has no chance of entering official events until they have a domestic program.

4 ( Andorra, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Portugal ) have no national team program.

There are many countries who have the potential to join the IIHF and then enter IIHF events as Qatar, Kyrgyzstan and Oman have done recently. These include Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Philippines, Indonesia, Nepal, Colombia, Tunisia and Algeria.

Thanks to everyone who adds to my knowledge by participating in this thread.

Geoff
    There are 57 IIHF members scheduled to compete in IIHF events in 2015-2016 the same number as played in 2014-2015.

Qatar who pulled out of the CCoA last year are down to compete again. Oman who played last season have pulled out for next season.

Turkmenistan are new IIHF members and Indonesia are likely to join in 2016.

Argentina and Brazil, who are members, played in the non-IIHF Panamerican Cup last year and will hopefully do so again.

Bahrain who are not IIHF members apparently plan to play in the Gulf CC Championships, along with members Oman.

No news of the non-playing IIHF members getting into formal international competition.

Any advice on news I've missed, will be much appreciated.

Regards

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 16-10-2015 at 01:28.

IHF Member
    My assessment of the 17 IIHF members not playing in IIHF events in 2015/2016 ;

FYR Macedonia - forming a national team and reported to want to play in IHWC in 2017.

Oman - played in the 2015 CCoA but withdrew from the 2016 event. Playing in the Gulf Championships.

Brazil and Argentina - played in the 2015 Pan American ( non IIHF ) event. Hopefully will do so again in 2016 if it takes place.

Morocco - have a domestic program and want to develop competition with North African neighbours. Hopefully will be helped by Tunisia , Algeria and Egypt joining the IIHF eventually.

Armenia, Greece, Ireland and Liechtenstein - all have had national teams in the past but unlikely to do so again for the foreseeable future.

Jamaica - a lot of PR and ambition but nothing domestically.

Turkmenistan - recently joined the IIHF, possible CCoA entrant in 2017. 2017 Asian Winter Games might also be an opportunity.

Andorra, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Portugal - unlikely to form a national team.

Chile and Namibia - IIHF members for Inline only. Both rumoured to be interested in Ice Hockey also but nothing happened to date.

In addition Indonesia have been granted conditional IIHF membership with a view to becoming members in 2016 and playing in the SE Asia Games in 2017.

Any further information appreciated.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 18-10-2015 at 14:25.

IHF Member
    Looks as though Tunisia has the national recognition they need to pursue IIHF membership.

https://www.facebook.com/hockeytunis...type=3&fref=nf.

Geoff

IHF Member
    There were unexpected late withdrawals from the CCoA , by Kuwait and the IHWC, by UAE. Otherwise a fairly stable season. Qatar played their first IIHF event, the CCoA, and will hopefully continue.

A lot to look out for in the next few months ;

IIHF Congress next month - new members ( Indonesia, Philippines and Nepal ?)
    - IHWC entries - UAE , Macedonia ?
    AWG 2017 entries, apparently Iran have entered !
    CCoA entries, usually announced in August - Kuwait and Oman return ?
    SE Asia Games entries
    Mexico's Panamerican event participants
    Morocco's All Africa event participants

Geoff

My assessment of the 17 IIHF members not playing in IIHF events in 2015/2016 ;

FYR Macedonia - forming a national team and reported to want to play in IHWC in 2017.

Oman - played in the 2015 CCoA but withdrew from the 2016 event. Playing in the Gulf Championships.

Brazil and Argentina - played in the 2015 Pan American ( non IIHF ) event. Hopefully will do so again in 2016 if it takes place.

Morocco - have a domestic program and want to develop competition with North African neighbours. Hopefully will be helped by Tunisia , Algeria and Egypt joining the IIHF eventually.

Armenia, Greece, Ireland and Liechtenstein - all have had national teams in the past but unlikely to do so again for the foreseeable future.

Jamaica - a lot of PR and ambition but nothing domestically.

Turkmenistan - recently joined the IIHF, possible CCoA entrant in 2017. 2017 Asian Winter Games might also be an opportunity.

Andorra, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Portugal - unlikely to form a national team.

Chile and Namibia - IIHF members for Inline only. Both rumoured to be interested in Ice Hockey also but nothing happened to date.

In addition Indonesia have been granted conditional IIHF membership with a view to becoming members in 2016 and playing in the SE Asia Games in 2017.

Any further information appreciated.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 25-04-2016 at 13:10.

IHF Member

new members

Looks as though Tunisia has the national recognition they need to pursue IIHF membership.

https://www.facebook.com/hockeytunis...type=3&fref=nf.

Geoff
    Three applications for membership will be considered, including Nepal, Indonesia and the Philippines. Currently, there are 74 member federations.

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    Three applications for membership will be considered, including Nepal, Indonesia and the Philippines. Currently, there are 74 member federations.

Greetings,
    Rowan
    Thanks for that news, they are the three that had been expected. Are you at the Congress ?

Geoff

IHF Member

new members

Thanks for that news, they are the three that had been expected. Are you at the Congress ?

Geoff
    No I know someone at there.
    The congress decided.

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    No I know someone at there.
    The congress decided.

Greetings,
    Rowan
    Good, any news on WC entries ? Hope we might see a new team or two.

Geoff

Good, any news on WC entries ? Hope we might see a new team or two.

Geoff
    Not sure on men's but Chinese Taipei will be in the women's side since they bid to host the Division II Group B Qualification.

IHF Member
    Not sure on men's but Chinese Taipei will be in the women's side since they bid to host the Division II Group B Qualification.
    Thanks for that information. I'd be surprised and delighted if the Men entered. They've had the chance to do so for many years and decided not to. Next year they have the option of the AWG and/or the CCoA, which have normally been a higher priority for them than the IHWC.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Thanks for that information. I'd be surprised and delighted if the Men entered. They've had the chance to do so for many years and decided not to. Next year they have the option of the AWG and/or the CCoA, which have normally been a higher priority for them than the IHWC.

Geoff
    Well delighted it is !!

Chinese Taipei has entered the IHWC just when I'd given up hope. They'll host UAE, who dropped out this year, in a qualification clash to decide who plays in DIII in 2018. No Macedonia which is disappointing to me.

Geoff

IHF Member

new mebers

Well delighted it is !!

Chinese Taipei has entered the IHWC just when I'd given up hope. They'll host UAE, who dropped out this year, in a qualification clash to decide who plays in DIII in 2018. No Macedonia which is disappointing to me.

Geoff
    Nepal,Indonesia and Philippines are now member of the IIHF.

Qatar are now a full member of the IIHF.

Greetings,
    Rowan

Well delighted it is !!

Geoff
    Does anybody know if it will be a 3-game series (ala the post-Olympic Women's Qualification Series) or a single game (ala the Olympic qualifier between Bulgaria and Georgia)? It would be rather silly to have the Emerati fly out to play a single match.

IHF Member
    Does anybody know if it will be a 3-game series (ala the post-Olympic Women's Qualification Series) or a single game (ala the Olympic qualifier between Bulgaria and Georgia)? It would be rather silly to have the Emerati fly out to play a single match.
    Well it would be a long way for a single match, especially as they are going to get thumped !! I hope having a qualifier will encourage a few more teams to enter in 2018. It will also make DIII more meaningful as the bottom team gets relegated.

Geoff

IHF Member
    I see Chinese Taipei will also play in the U20s, hosting a DIII qualifier against South Africa.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Philippines putting a team together with plans to play in the CCoA , the AWG and the SE Asia Games.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamPilipin...ockey/?fref=nf

IHF Member

CCoA , the AWG and the SE Asia Games.

Philippines putting a team together with plans to play in the CCoA , the AWG and the SE Asia Games.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamPilipin...ockey/?fref=nf
    The same for Indonesia!

Rowan

IHF Member
    The same for Indonesia!

Rowan
    I'm still looking for a full list of the 20 teams who've entered the AWG and some information about the structure of the tournament. Anyone seen anything ?

Geoff

IHF Member
    Now they've joined the IIHF I'm expecting Indonesia and Philippines to make their full international tournament debuts in 2017. I'd like them to enter the CCoA but I suspect the AWG and the SE Asia Games might be more attractive to them.

In the meantime they continue to feature in the SE Asia local events such as Malaysia, just finished and HK. next week ;

http://mihf.stats.pointstreak.com/pl...seasonid=16302

http://www.hkahc.com/new_tournament/...r_schedule.htm

Philippines v Oman sounds an unlikely Ice Hockey fixture, but it's happening next week ( are you reading this Roonba ? )

Geoff

IHF Member
    An interesting newspaper article reproduced in NToIH indicates that, during 2017, Malaysia intend competing in the AWG, the CCoA ( in Thailand ) and the SE Asia Games. An ambitious plan, hope they do well.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 16-09-2016 at 21:27.

IHF Member
    http://www.hkahc.com/new_tournament/...r_schedule.htm

Philippines v Oman sounds an unlikely Ice Hockey fixture, but it's happening next week ( are you reading this Roonba ? )

Geoff[/QUOTE]

Results in from first session in HK ;

Philippines took the game against Oman 9-0 and also beat Taiwan Academy 2-1.

Geoff

IHF Member
    I see that Singapore are reporting their participation at the 2017 CCoA, in Thailand from March 25th to 30th. That means they have not been relegated to the lower division indicating to me that at least one of the top 4 teams from 2016 has not entered. They plan to play in the AWG and the SEAG as well.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 17-09-2016 at 01:18.

I see that Singapore are reporting their participation at the 2017 CCoA, in Thailand from March 25th to 30th. That means they have not been relegated to the lower division indicating to me that at least one of the top 4 teams from 2016 has not entered. They plan to play in the AWG and the SEAG as well.

Geoff
    The top division used to be six teams, could they be returning to that format? If somebody did drop out, I could see that being Taipei since they've committed themselves to the World Championships.

Last year they tried to return to the 6 team format, and intended to promote Kuwait and Singapore, and relagate Macau. Kuwait later dropped out, returning again to a 5 team tournament.

Could also be the more negative scenarios, maybe both divisions are played in the same location as there is no host for Division I? Or maybe with the AWG and SEAG in the same year, there are not enough entrants in the CCoA for two divisions.
    Last edited by fan75; 18-09-2016 at 17:29.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
    Last year they tried to return to the 6 team format, and intended to promote Kuwait and Singapore, and relagate Macau. Kuwait later dropped out, returning again to a 5 team tournament.

Could also be the more negative scenarios, maybe both divisions are played in the same location as there is no host for Division I? Or maybe with the AWG and SEAG in the same year, there are not enough entrants in the CCoA for two divisions.
    Yes we don't have enough solid information to know the format and participants of CCoA 2017. Playing a single competition or both divisions in Bangkok is one possible scenario. My guess is that there have been complications as the details would normally have been published by now.

Geoff

IHF Member
    [QUOTE=GeoffH;285110]http://www.hkahc.com/new_tournament/...r_schedule.htm

Full results now in at end of the three day event.

Final standings ;

1st Mitsubishi (Japan )
    2nd Philippines
    3rd HK AHC the hosts
    4th Chinese Taipei Academy
    5th HAMA club ( Japan )
    6th Macau
    7th UB Capitals ( Mongolia )
    8th UAE Theebs
    9th Oman

Philippines just failed to retain their title , losing the final in overtime.

The event had an impressive line up of clubs from all around Asia.

Geoff

IHF Member
    With details now published for the forthcoming Challenge Cup of Asia we know which teams are entered for IIHF events this year.

There are 48 teams in the IHWC and 13 in the CCoA. Just the UAE are entered in both so there are a record 60, out of 77, IIHF members entered.

Looking at the remaining 17, I would classify them as follows ;

Affiliate members , just playing inline - 2 countries

Chile and Namibia. Both could develop an ice hockey team and perhaps Chile will soon play in Mexico's Panamerican event.

Formerly played in IIHF events - 3 countries

Armenia, Greece and Ireland have all found it difficult to maintain a national team since being excluded from The IHWC.

Planning / hoping to create a national team - 5 countries

FYR Macedonia, Morocco, Jamaica, Nepal and Portugal.

Playing in a non IIHF event - 3 countries

Indonesia, Argentina and Brazil.

Little or no sign of forming a national team - 4 countries

Andorra, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Liechtenstein.

Additionally 3 countries who are not members of the IIHF are playing in international competitions.

Iran, Colombia and Bahrain.

Regards

Geoff

IHF Member
    Update ....Just read that Bahrain have withdrawn from the AWG.

Update ....Just read that Bahrain have withdrawn from the AWG.
    After all the excitement in the last day or so, that's a buzzkill. They really need to get a proper federation put together and attempt to join the IIHF. With the AWGs often in East Asia, justifiably so, they could do with the frequently Gulf hosted CCoA's.

IHF Member
    You're right, a long run in the CCoA would be much better for them than the irregular thrashings in the AWG.

Geoff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information