Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 117

Thread: IIHF events - new and emerging National Teams

  1. #1
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957

    IIHF events - new and emerging National Teams

    With entries for the 6 divisions of the IHWC and the 2 divisions of the CCoA announced, we know that 54 of the 72 members of the IIHF will be competing in senior team events this season.

    There will be 46 teams in the IHWC and 10 in the CCoA ( UAE and Hong Kong will compete in both ).

    Of the remaining 18 ;

    2 ( Chile and Namibia ) are IIHF members for Inline only.

    5 ( Armenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Greece, Ireland and Malaysia ) have recently competed in IIHF events.

    6 ( Argentina, Brazil, FYR Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Morocco and Qatar ) have shown some interest in competing at national team level.

    and

    5 ( Azerbaijan, Andorra, Jamaica, Moldova and Portugal) are unlikely to compete as a national team for the foreseeable future.

    There is also potential for new members to quickly come through to competing in IIHF events, as Kyrgyzstan has done.

    Cheers

    Geoff

  2. #2
    IHF Member pedalinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    171
    most surprising to me is Moldova that have 2 indoor rinks and a team in Russian league !! Azerbaijan- building lots of infrastructure and other arenas i think, lots of money, sport interested president. but nothing for hockey :-(, Andorra -very nice indoor rink but maybe to small population?..... and where is Turkmenistan, they have a new crazy built ice hockey arena, and even more interested hockey president!!! :-)

  3. #3
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    As you say, I think Andorra is too small.

    Moldova is a divided country with strong foreign military presence. I understand Ice Hockey is played in the part which isn't governed by Moldova.

    Azerbaijan seems to have plenty of money to spend on sport, so hopefully there will be a place for Ice Hockey soon.

    Turkmenistan will perhaps be one of the next IIHF membership applicants and follow Kyrgyzstan into IIHF competition.

    Would be good to see an expansion in active national teams.

    Geoff

    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinka View Post
    most surprising to me is Moldova that have 2 indoor rinks and a team in Russian league !! Azerbaijan- building lots of infrastructure and other arenas i think, lots of money, sport interested president. but nothing for hockey :-(, Andorra -very nice indoor rink but maybe to small population?..... and where is Turkmenistan, they have a new crazy built ice hockey arena, and even more interested hockey president!!! :-)

  4. #4
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Regarding the five teams that have recently participated:

    Armenia has been suspended indefinitely by IIHF for repeated widespread use of ineligible players.
    Bosnia & Herzegovina is a small, still-developing program that realistically cannot afford to travel outside of BIH for international competition at this time.
    Greece was forced out of competition by more stringent IIHF enforcement of minimum requirements on the basis of a lack of permanent, approved ice rink. (I stand to be corrected on this).
    Ireland was likewise forced out by enforcement of minimum requirements due to lack of a rink, and lack of a league competition.
    Malaysia have taken a hiatus from CCoA but have plans to return.

  5. #5
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Thanks Steigs, good summary.

    Sounds as though Malaysia will be fine and back in competition soon.

    Does anyone know if there is any domestic hockey in Armenia ? I guess they have had to accept that using US based players, they are never going to meet IIHF qualification rules but could they make a comeback with a domestic based team ?

    As has been discussed on several threads previously, something like the CCoA in Europe would help the struggling teams to get competition. With Greece, Ireland, Bosnia & Herzegovina, FYR Macedonia, Liechtenstein plus Georgia and maybe Luxembourg there should be more than enough teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Regarding the five teams that have recently participated:

    Armenia has been suspended indefinitely by IIHF for repeated widespread use of ineligible players.
    Bosnia & Herzegovina is a small, still-developing program that realistically cannot afford to travel outside of BIH for international competition at this time.
    Greece was forced out of competition by more stringent IIHF enforcement of minimum requirements on the basis of a lack of permanent, approved ice rink. (I stand to be corrected on this).
    Ireland was likewise forced out by enforcement of minimum requirements due to lack of a rink, and lack of a league competition.
    Malaysia have taken a hiatus from CCoA but have plans to return.
    Geoff

  6. #6
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Moldova... are unlikely to compete as a national team for the foreseeable future.
    ...
    Moldova is a divided country with strong foreign military presence. I understand Ice Hockey is played in the part which isn't governed by Moldova.
    Platina-Chisinau doesn't even have a single Moldovan player and, despite their name, play in Tiraspol which as you say is in Transnistria.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  7. #7
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Having spoken with some Luxembourg players, they would definitely welcome a CCoE and would quite possibly choose that competition over the Worlds if it came to that. However, until that comes into play, their national team will continue at the Worlds as the only avenue for international competition.
    A CCoE would be a great program for a few nations. It would allow, as you said, small nations like Bosnia & Herzegovina, FYR Macedonia, Liechtenstein and Andorra a chance to play some international games, would probably be a good avenue for Ireland and Greece to get back into international competition, and give Luxembourg an avenue of competition that would be easier for players to get to. It would also give a chance, as you said, for Georgia a better avenue of competition at this point in time, and possibly allow for Northern African nations such as Morocco to give their home-developed players a chance to compete as well. And lastly, it might be something for Israel to compete with their locally-developed players, as the strength of their team at the Worlds depends in very large part on which foreign-born and -trained dual-nats are able to compete.

    Armenia do have a domestic program. Their domestic players had, on top of the national competition, also entered a representative team in the Georgian league a couple years back. The individual Georgian clubs were stronger though, even then. Armenia can meet IIHF qualification rules with domestic players, but the actual level of play is so low that.... well, look back at their first years of competition, they were losing DIII games by 20+, 30+ goals... (48-0 to Mexico for example). Their dual-nat "Armenicans" helped balance the scores a bit in 2006, but then they went way overboard with that program and got busted in 2008, then again in 2010, leading to the current indefinite ban.

  8. #8
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Makes so much sense it will never happen !!

    I've contacted Martin Merk at the IIHF and it seems there is nothing happening there on this topic.

    Would need the national associations to raise the proposal for a new event at Congress.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Having spoken with some Luxembourg players, they would definitely welcome a CCoE and would quite possibly choose that competition over the Worlds if it came to that. However, until that comes into play, their national team will continue at the Worlds as the only avenue for international competition.
    A CCoE would be a great program for a few nations. It would allow, as you said, small nations like Bosnia & Herzegovina, FYR Macedonia, Liechtenstein and Andorra a chance to play some international games, would probably be a good avenue for Ireland and Greece to get back into international competition, and give Luxembourg an avenue of competition that would be easier for players to get to. It would also give a chance, as you said, for Georgia a better avenue of competition at this point in time, and possibly allow for Northern African nations such as Morocco to give their home-developed players a chance to compete as well. And lastly, it might be something for Israel to compete with their locally-developed players, as the strength of their team at the Worlds depends in very large part on which foreign-born and -trained dual-nats are able to compete.

    Armenia do have a domestic program. Their domestic players had, on top of the national competition, also entered a representative team in the Georgian league a couple years back. The individual Georgian clubs were stronger though, even then. Armenia can meet IIHF qualification rules with domestic players, but the actual level of play is so low that.... well, look back at their first years of competition, they were losing DIII games by 20+, 30+ goals... (48-0 to Mexico for example). Their dual-nat "Armenicans" helped balance the scores a bit in 2006, but then they went way overboard with that program and got busted in 2008, then again in 2010, leading to the current indefinite ban.

  9. #9
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    As well as IIHF members playing in IIHF events there have been a few 'National teams' from non-members that have played in non-IIHF events. There could be some more if the event proposed to take place in Mexico, next year, happens.

    So far I have ;

    Bahrain in the Asian Winter Games and the Gulf Championships.

    Oman ( twice ) and Saudi Arabia ( once ) in the Gulf Championships.

    Algeria in the Arab Cup.

    Hopefully there are some potential new IIHF members amongst them.

  10. #10
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    As well as those mentioned above I note that Colombia and Venezuela play Inline in the FIRS world championship, perhaps they might join the IIHF and play in its version of the Inline championship. An eventual move to ice hockey is probably a long way off.

    Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 15-12-2013 at 02:21.

  11. #11
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    329
    Iran also played in the 2011 FIRS World Championship. Not sure if they are still playing though, FIRS's record keeping isnt the best.

  12. #12
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    Iran also played in the 2011 FIRS World Championship. Not sure if they are still playing though, FIRS's record keeping isnt the best.
    Didn't play this year but then again, it was in Anaheim, so...
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  13. #13
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Good article on the IIHF website today, about progress in Chile and Argentina ;

    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=209d6c92d1

    Geoff

  14. #14
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Some news about Morocco and Moldova on Eurohockey and Nat Teams of IH.

    http://www.eurohockey.com/article/29...n-morocco.html

    Tried to translate from the Moldovan website and it makes some sort of sense but we need to be sceptical when politicians talk about big plans !!

    http://www.nihf.md/en/moldovahockeyn...wwithpresident

    Home News News Steinberg: "Lone objective is the construction of a Palace in Chișinău in winter sports," Steinberg: "Lone objective is the construction of a Palace in Chișinău of winter sports"Tuesday, 05 November 2013 15: 21There are no translations available.Interview with the President of the National ice hockey team of the Republic of Moldova, Mr. Iurie SteinbergQuestion: the Platinum team Classification in Chișinău International Hockey League (youth) has revealed a number of problems. At their approach, though, please do, first and foremost, a small balance on the activity carried out already for the second year in a position of președintte of Russia.Answer:-I wish to stress, firstly, that we have inherited a Federation înglodată in debt and to place its activities in the natural aptitude was required to do together with a group of sponsors, friends of Chess enthusiasts, the idea really, like me, this kind of spectacular sports, male, approximately 4.5 million lei. It was A collective effort that was successful and now we have not only an ice rink, Ice Bravo in Chișinău, which unfortunately does not correspond to the world standards, but already two. This year it was redesigned and came into service with the support of the Federation and the arena, which satisfy the minimum standards of international matches. For this purpose have been spent about 100,000 dollars. In Chișinău will begin in the near future the construction of a Palace of the winter sports ...Q: Let Me interrupt you, because, agree, sounds nice: "Winter Sports Palace" ... That's when for years just discusses the erection of a multi-purpose National Stadium ...Please provide details, samples, to bring arguments that speaks at. ..A:-the Mayor gave us already the ground for the future. It is an area of approximately 3 hectares, located in Ciocana, Chisinau at the outlet on the way to the town Vadul lui Voda. The land to be put out to tender and mandatory condition that will be put before prospective investors is to be built here as a winter sports Palace with a modern infrastructure, which is in asonanță with all the requirements of the time. It is already approved and developed the project of the future Palace. I have not invented the bicycle. I've "borrowed" from some friends in another country, and I've just subjected to changes. The next arena will include two land for ice hockey. One with a capacity of 5,500 seats and another with tribune for about 1,500 spectators. They shall be constructed so as to be easily transformed into concert halls and other festivities, activities. For example, this can be carried out and minifiotbal matches, basketball, handball, volleyball, tennis, table tennis, etc.Arena on the whole to be, also, a multi-faceted cross-functional flowchart. She will give you the opportunity to be practiced here in the modern conditions of different sports: figure skating disicipline, boxing, wrestling and Greco-Roman, martial, weightlifting, fitness, kickboxing, rhythmic gymnastics and rhythmic ...Here will be given in service and a pool of 50 meters in length and 8 tracks, according to internționali all parameters of the European Championships. In short, we have big plans, great in the context of the youth population, the demands of integration into the european value, the international circuit. I hope we succeed, to digitize this fact. Soon will be announced the contest for the right to build the Palace.Q: Let's get back to reality, that Platinum Chișinău plays its home matches in Tiraspol, that it is completed in the theme, with streini players, that once had a relatively good start point to snapped ...A: after the 2011 Platinum became the champion of Romania at the Under-18 age and appeared on some organizational issues I decided to evolve into a more competitive tournament, the International Hockey League (youth). Last season was a failure. This year is better, but is unable to meet expectations so far. For us it is important, however, to keep the Platinum brand at all costs. Prepare using coaches Moss Cerguță and Mihail Garev 40 local youngsters in the visakhapatnam district Botanica. Some of their students have already gotten to play in stronger leagues. Thomas Maștaler, for example, in Canada. Dan Caraseni-Donbass Donetsk, Artiom Popcov-Salavat Iulaev (Bașkorstan), etc. Over several days will kick off the first edition of the national championship of the Veterans announced the participation of four teams.Q: I agree, though, that it is not normal to children like her, studi

  15. #15
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    Iran also played in the 2011 FIRS World Championship. Not sure if they are still playing though, FIRS's record keeping isnt the best.
    unfortunately these guys have LOTS of trouble travelling abroad. I've played them a few times and they always have a struggle getting visas. This year en route to a tournament in Hong Kong, almost all the team was stopped at the airport and not allowed out of Iran.

  16. #16
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    It's been a good period for progress for the new national teams. The 'panamerican festival' took place in Mexico with teams from Brazil, Argentina and Colombia competing. The Desert Cup in Qatar had 'national teams' from Qatar, Oman and Bahrain. Bosnia and Herzegovina played two exhibition matches against Turkey in Sarajevo.
    The two divisions of the CCoA were played successfully with all ten teams which entered taking part.
    Now the 6 divisions of the IIHF WC will be played during April and May and then the Congress will take place which will decide on any new members and the competition structure for 2015.

    My thoughts on what news we might get from Congress and what we might see in 2015 ;

    Entries for WC

    No places free in the current structure. A three team DIIIQ could be formed if the 6th team from DIII and two new entrants were put together ( leaving just 5 in DIII ). Potential entrants I see are Chinese Taipei ( but they seem happy to just do U18 ) and Bosnia and Herzegovina, although I read that they are going to concentrate on U18 and U20.
    Mongolia are apparently getting an indoor rink and could return ( maybe 2015 too early ) but there seems no progress with domestic hockey in Ireland and Greece.
    Provided nobody drops out I expect the same 46 teams as in 2014. I'd like to see 49 with TPE, BIH and MGL as additions.

    Challenge Cup of Asia

    Hopefully Malaysia will return in 2015 which would leave Qatar as the only Asian IIHF member not playing in IIHF events. If Qatar entered, as hopefully they will, there would be 12 teams, with two full divisions of 6 teams. I continue to be impressed with how successful this event has been. With potential for other new Asian IIHF members, a third divison might be needed in a few years time.

    New regional events

    I still hope that, following the success of the CCoA, that similar events will be put together for Europe and Latin American. The IIHF would certainly support this if the National Federations put forward proposals.

    Other IIHF members not playing in IIHF events and not mentioned above ;

    Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Jamaica, Liechtenstein, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Morocco and Portugal.

    Interesting that no less than 7 of these 9 are in Europe with Morocco nearby as well.


    New IIHF Members

    There are many potential new IIHF members where there is hockey being played. There can also be surprises such as Jamaica was in the past.

    My current list of potential new applicants ;
    Philippines, Indonesia, Turkmenistan, Oman , Bahrain, Tunisia, Algeria and Colombia

    Regards ( and ever hopeful ) Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 29-03-2014 at 15:19.

  17. #17
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    299
    Just out of curiosity. How a country like Andorra can fill up the minimum requirements to participate in WC? They have only 17 registered senior players. Can participation in spanish hockey (or french if southwestern teams were a bit more cooperative between themselves) be enough?

    Also I didn't find out anything on Luxembourg's Alter Domus Cup this season. Could they lose their WC status next season?

  18. #18
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Andorra aren't ever likely to meet the entry standards for the WC.

    I don't like to see teams exit the WC but if Luxembourg did they might become the National Federation that proposes a Challenge Cup of Europe. So ultimately it could be a good thing. Comment has been made on these forums , before, that a challenge cup might suit Luxembourg better than the WC.

    Geoff

  19. #19
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Seems Chinese Taipei will apply for the 2015 WC ;
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...9acbe80fc5fe3f

    Good news

    Geoff

  20. #20
    IHF Member fan75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    My current list of potential new applicants ;
    Philippines, Indonesia, Turkmenistan, Oman , Bahrain, Tunisia, Algeria and Colombia
    Why not Uzbekistan?

  21. #21
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Didn't think they were very far forward with developing hockey but wouldn't rule them out.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
    Why not Uzbekistan?

  22. #22
    IHF Staff Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manaus, Brazil
    Posts
    14,069
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post

    My current list of potential new applicants ;
    Philippines, Indonesia, Turkmenistan, Oman , Bahrain, Tunisia, Algeria and Colombia
    I think only Turkmenistan could have realistic chances (or interest) to join IIHF: they have money, a political interest (by President), arenas and a league where they can attract russian players. Colombia, Indonesia and Philippines don't have rinks or leagues, same for Tunisia and Algeria (both are maybe future candidates). Oman and Bahrain have hockey due to expats interest and commitment

  23. #23
    IHF Staff Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manaus, Brazil
    Posts
    14,069
    Other IIHF members not playing in IIHF events and not mentioned above ;

    Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Jamaica, Liechtenstein, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Morocco and Portugal.
    You can add Chile and Namibia to this list
    I really don't understand why IIHF allows members without ANY kind of activities to stay in hockey community: Chile,
    Namibia, Jamaica and Portugal have nothing to do with an ice hockey federation

  24. #24
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    I excluded Chile and Namibia because they are only affiliate members as a result of playing Inline. I don't expect either to 'upgrade' to include Ice Hockey any time soon.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    You can add Chile and Namibia to this list
    I really don't understand why IIHF allows members without ANY kind of activities to stay in hockey community: Chile,
    Namibia, Jamaica and Portugal have nothing to do with an ice hockey federation

  25. #25
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    I really don't understand why IIHF allows members without ANY kind of activities to stay in hockey community:
    Especially given that in the past Kuwait had been expelled from the IIHF for that very reason.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  26. #26
    IHF Member Hockey_Algeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    653
    Morocco are active, they have a junior league going and have done the past couple of years.

    I'd expect Tunisia to apply in 2015.

  27. #27
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Thanks, hopefully you'll have some good news for us about Algeria before too long.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    Morocco are active, they have a junior league going and have done the past couple of years.

    I'd expect Tunisia to apply in 2015.

  28. #28
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    As reported on other threads, following the IIHF congress, there will be seven teams in DIII of the WC next year with the addition of Bosnia and Herzegovina. No Chinese Taipei however.

    Oman are the 73rd IIHF member and could be another entrant for the CCoA, details of which usually are determined much later in the year.

    Geoff

  29. #29
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Still don't understand why Taiwan doesn't send a team to the IIHF D.3 event. They would be competitive based on their Challenge Cup results.

  30. #30
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Still don't understand why Taiwan doesn't send a team to the IIHF D.3 event. They would be competitive based on their Challenge Cup results.
    Cost of competing would likely be higher as Division III is often hosted in Europe (namely Luxembourg) or South Africa than playing, successfully, in Asia.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  31. #31
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    But they continue to play in the U18s.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Cost of competing would likely be higher as Division III is often hosted in Europe (namely Luxembourg) or South Africa than playing, successfully, in Asia.

  32. #32
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    299
    A Pan-American meeting is scheduled for 8th June in Pardubice, Czech Republic following the 2014 IIHF Inline Worlds. It will be about how ice hockey development can be better supported in South America through the inline program. Seven latin american countries will be represented: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico as well as non-IIHF countries Colombia, Uruguay and Venezuela.

    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...2d860442d3f3bc

  33. #33
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Great news. If only there was a similar meeting for the non-WC playing european countries.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    A Pan-American meeting is scheduled for 8th June in Pardubice, Czech Republic following the 2014 IIHF Inline Worlds. It will be about how ice hockey development can be better supported in South America through the inline program. Seven latin american countries will be represented: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico as well as non-IIHF countries Colombia, Uruguay and Venezuela.

    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...2d860442d3f3bc

  34. #34
    IHF Member Hockey_Algeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Great news. If only there was a similar meeting for the non-WC playing european countries.

    Geoff
    And North Africa.

    Algeria, tunisia and egypt working on things with very little support.

  35. #35
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Yes, didn't realise that Egypt were trying to get started as well. I suppose, with geographical proximity, you could do something jointly with some of the Europeans. Pity the IIHF won't be more proactive.

    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    And North Africa.

    Algeria, tunisia and egypt working on things with very little support.
    Last edited by GeoffH; 05-06-2014 at 16:22.

  36. #36
    IHF Member Hockey_Algeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Yes, didn't realise that Egypt were trying to get started as well. I suppose, with geographical proximity, you could do something jointly with some of the Europeans. Pity the IIHF won't be more proactive.

    Geoff
    Some people would actually consider egypt more advanced than algeria and tunisia, they have a group of egyptian natives playing in a small rink regularly, they just dont have the organisation that we have.

  37. #37
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    Found this article on the status of Jamaican hockey: http://colorofhockey.com/2014/08/05/...s-hockey-team/. They want to qualify for the 2018 Olympics, which is admirable yet pretty off base. Also, one quote that stood out to me was "We’d be relying on some former NHLers. Guys like (Montreal Canadiens defenseman) P.K. Subban (dad Karl Subban is from Jamaica and mom, Maria, hails from Montserrat) and the like wouldn’t be available to us because they’ve played for Canada, but players of that background. Then a collection of high-end juniors/college players who could fill the rest of the roster." Granted that inherently, Jamaica hockey isn't very well known, but wouldn't there need to be a league set up lest they run the risk of an Armenian-type situation?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

  38. #38
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Don't think they've made any progress domestically since they became IIHF members. They don't seem to have realised that the IIHF has stricter eligibility rules than other sports. Amazed this doesn't get made clear as part of the IIHF membership application process.
    They seemed to have been 'encouraged' by the 'Cool Runnings' story in Bobsleigh, when the Jamaican participants came from Canada !!!

    Geoff

    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Found this article on the status of Jamaican hockey: http://colorofhockey.com/2014/08/05/...s-hockey-team/. They want to qualify for the 2018 Olympics, which is admirable yet pretty off base. Also, one quote that stood out to me was "We’d be relying on some former NHLers. Guys like (Montreal Canadiens defenseman) P.K. Subban (dad Karl Subban is from Jamaica and mom, Maria, hails from Montserrat) and the like wouldn’t be available to us because they’ve played for Canada, but players of that background. Then a collection of high-end juniors/college players who could fill the rest of the roster." Granted that inherently, Jamaica hockey isn't very well known, but wouldn't there need to be a league set up lest they run the risk of an Armenian-type situation?

  39. #39
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    They seemed to have been 'encouraged' by the 'Cool Runnings' story in Bobsleigh, when the Jamaican participants came from Canada !!!

    Geoff
    Their coach was an American but I'm pretty sure the athletes were true Jamaicans. Around 2002 they did their winter training in Wyoming, I believe. Lascelles Brown eventually emigrated and was a brakeman for both Canada and Monaco though.

    As Conesy mentioned, they don't seem to have any ice hockey domestically and we've never heard any stories about inline hockey. Perhaps a stepping stone would be ball hockey but they aren't members of the ISBHF. If they had a rink, they could get a league going. OK, they wouldn't attract any NHL veterans to come down and few if any juniors from up north but having a (team in a) league is step one in naturalizing players.
    Last edited by Trim; 07-08-2014 at 08:30.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  40. #40
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Hmmmm.....
    Why hold a tryout in Etobicoke? Why not hold it in Kingston, Jamaica? You know, if you're going to try out for the national team, and are a dual-citizen, you'll have to play in that national league, which would of course have to be IN THAT COUNTRY.
    a team from a warm-weather country without an indoor ice rink and has potential players spread around the globe?
    (oh wait.... that's why).

    This all sounds really good from a PR standpoint, but it seems to me that if you've filled out the paperwork for IIHF membership, you probably do know the rules. In this case, ignoring them to make headlines maybe makes sense. It's just not realistic, and I'm sure the people in charge in Jamaica aren't so ridiculously insane that they don't realize it.

  41. #41
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    This all sounds really good from a PR standpoint, but it seems to me that if you've filled out the paperwork for IIHF membership, you probably do know the rules. In this case, ignoring them to make headlines maybe makes sense. It's just not realistic, and I'm sure the people in charge in Jamaica aren't so ridiculously insane that they don't realize it.
    Like you said, it's a fantastic PR booster (if not an outlandish claim). Let's be honest, how many people have heard of Jamaican hockey before this?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

  42. #42
    IHF Member Hockey_Algeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    653
    oh believe me we get asked about playing in the olympics all the time, we cant exactly say straight up "its never gonna happen", we give the usual BS hoping for more government support and sponsorships.

  43. #43
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    oh believe me we get asked about playing in the olympics all the time, we cant exactly say straight up "its never gonna happen", we give the usual BS hoping for more government support and sponsorships.
    "We'll make the Olympics but it will require more sponsorship, more facilities, more exposure, more subsidies, and a little bit of time. With all of that support, we'll get to the Olympics."
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  44. #44
    IHF Member Hockey_Algeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    653
    exactly ;)

    but shhh dont tell anyone lol

  45. #45
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    NToIH http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey.com/ has a report from the Jamaica 'tryouts' in Toronto. Seems as though they have now read the IIHF eligibility rules and realise they have a mountain to climb if they are going to compete in IIHF events. Maybe they could play Armenia in the meantime !!

    Geoff

  46. #46
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    hahahaha niiiiice call Geoff!

  47. #47
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    The IIHF events for the 2014-15 season are now announced and the participants known. 58 out of 73 members will be competing ( OMA are the latest new member ).
    The WC has an increase to 47 teams with BIH added. The CCoA has 12 teams with MAS, QAT and OMA added but HKG not entering.

    That makes a total of 58 teams in IIHF events, with UAE competing in both.

    Of the 15 not competing ;

    2 ( Chile and Namibia ) are affiliate members for inline only. Either could upgrade to include 'ice' but neither seems moving quickly in that direction.

    3 ( Armenia, Greece and Ireland ) have competed in IIHF events recently but don't seem likely to re-enter soon.

    5 ( Argentina, Brazil, Liechtenstein, Morocco and FYR Macedonia ) have formed national teams but are unlikely to play in existing IIHF events. Further regional events would possibly help them to play.

    Jamaica has ambitious plans but has no chance of entering official events until they have a domestic program.

    4 ( Andorra, Azerbaijan, Moldova and Portugal ) have no national team program.

    There are many countries who have the potential to join the IIHF and then enter IIHF events as Qatar, Kyrgyzstan and Oman have done recently. These include Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Philippines, Indonesia, Nepal, Colombia, Tunisia and Algeria.

    Thanks to everyone who adds to my knowledge by participating in this thread.

    Geoff



    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    With entries for the 6 divisions of the IHWC and the 2 divisions of the CCoA announced, we know that 54 of the 72 members of the IIHF will be competing in senior team events this season.

    There will be 46 teams in the IHWC and 10 in the CCoA ( UAE and Hong Kong will compete in both ).

    Of the remaining 18 ;

    2 ( Chile and Namibia ) are IIHF members for Inline only.

    5 ( Armenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Greece, Ireland and Malaysia ) have recently competed in IIHF events.

    6 ( Argentina, Brazil, FYR Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Morocco and Qatar ) have shown some interest in competing at national team level.

    and

    5 ( Azerbaijan, Andorra, Jamaica, Moldova and Portugal) are unlikely to compete as a national team for the foreseeable future.

    There is also potential for new members to quickly come through to competing in IIHF events, as Kyrgyzstan has done.

    Cheers

    Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 04-04-2015 at 02:18. Reason: See post below

  48. #48
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tartu, Estonia
    Posts
    228
    You could add Uzbekistan also to the list of new potential countries.

  49. #49
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Thanks, have you read reports of them preparing to form a team or apply to the IIHF ?

    Geoff

    Quote Originally Posted by maits View Post
    You could add Uzbekistan also to the list of new potential countries.

  50. #50
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    957
    Did some searching for Uzbekistan and found this which I'd missed or forgotten.

    http://eurohockey.com/article/2968-e...ournament.html

    Seems the Uzbek team beat the Kyrgyzstan club champions so they clearly have some capability.

    Geoff


    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Thanks, have you read reports of them preparing to form a team or apply to the IIHF ?

    Geoff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •