Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Champions Hockey League 2014

CHL
    The board also announced that the total prize money will be €1.5 million in the first year including €875,000 that will go to teams as participation fees. The C.H.L. winner will be able to earn up to €160,000.

Nadezhda Cup KHL

winner earns 12 million rubles= €243,000.Clubs get participation fees as well.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

Great logo. Clean sober and I am happy it does not imitate some vintage American one.

Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Dislike the logo.
    Vorky why do you not start a CHL bashing thread. All your post are contra CHL. This is CHL thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Great logo. Clean sober and I am happy it does not imitate some vintage American one.
    Yesssss. This is one great thing about it. Not just a NHL rip off logo!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Got to say that I don't like the logo. I'm all for clean and sober, but this is just dull.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Got to say that I don't like the logo. I'm all for clean and sober, but this is just dull.

Graham.
    This.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

In addition to the 4 founding teams GENEVE SERVETTE and KLOTEN FLYERS will be playing CHL as they get qualification for playoff semi final. So the SWISS will have six teams.

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-le...chl,45401.html

In addition to the 4 founding teams GENEVE SERVETTE and KLOTEN FLYERS will be playing CHL as they get qualification for playoff semi final. So the SWISS will have six teams.

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-le...chl,45401.html
    Might finally be able to see Swiss teams on TV! and not just HC Davos, although I do long the Spengler Cup obviously!

IHF Member
    Belfast Giants intend to enter this competition following the elite league board meeting and will find out next month if they are successful. They get in as Elite league seems to consider regular season winners as overall champions despite having play offs after. Nottingham Panthers at the moment are going to be entered in the continental cup as they are challenge cup winners but Belfast will take their place if their champions league application fails.

Quote Originally Posted by grazza View Post
    Belfast Giants intend to enter this competition following the elite league board meeting and will find out next month if they are successful. They get in as Elite league seems to consider regular season winners as overall champions despite having play offs after. Nottingham Panthers at the moment are going to be entered in the continental cup as they are challenge cup winners but Belfast will take their place if their champions league application fails.
    This could have added some point to actually winning the playoffs too, what a shame that is. What round would the UK teams be entered into to, does it say?

Most of the 40 spots are now taken:

EBEL:
    A. Red Bull Salzburg
    A. Vienna Capitals
    B. Bolzano-Bozen Foxes
    B. EC VSV

Extraliga:
    A. Bílí Tygři Liberec
    A. Pardubice
    A. Sparta Praha
    A. Vítkovice Steel
    B. Oceláři Třinec
    B. PSG Zlín or HC Kometa Brno

Liiga:
    A. HIFK
    A. JYP
    A. KalPa
    A. Kärpät
    A. Tappara
    A. TPS
    B. Lukko
    B. SaiPa

DEL:
    A. Adler Mannheim
    A. Eisbären Berlin
    A. ERC Ingolstadt
    A. Krefeld Pinguine
    B. Hamburg Freezers
    B. Kölner Haie or Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg

NLA:
    A. SC Bern
    A. HC Fribourg-Gottéron
    A. ZSC Lions
    A. EV Zug
    B. Kloten Flyers
    B. Genève-Servette

SHL:
    A. Frölunda
    A. Färjestad
    A. HV71
    A. Linköping
    A. Luleå
    A. Djurgården (if they are promoted to SHL)
    B. Skellefteå
    B. Växjö

That would leave two or three spots (depending on Djurgården) to C licensed teams, who would be among the champions of these leagues:
    • Slovak Extraliga
    • Ligue Magnus, France
    • Metal Ligaen, Denmark
    • GET-ligaen, Norway
    • Elite Ice Hockey League, UK

There are too many teams with automatic spots in Champions Hockey League. Linköping and HV71 finished 9th and 10th in Sweden this year. Champions?? Please.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    There are too many teams with automatic spots in Champions Hockey League. Linköping and HV71 finished 9th and 10th in Sweden this year. Champions?? Please.
    I remember when the UEFA Champions League started to allow also the runner-ups from the big leagues participate, that many people were confused that it is called "Champions" league. I wonder what they would think about the CHL lineups.

IHF Member
    40 teams seems like a lot. There will be many teams of which almost noone outside their country has ever heard of. This will clearly decrease the prestige of the competition. Maybe the last CHL attempt with 12 top teams and the nice branding was more promising?

On the other hand, if many teams in the top countries are involved, the CHL will likely get more media coverage, as almost all hockey fans are then somehow "involved" (via "their" team).

IHF Member
    According to SVT Sport, champions from Norway and Slovakia will get the 2 wildcards. This choice is based on a leagues' ranking established by the CHL board, France and Denmark were the following ones. This seems to me the two most logical choices.

http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/kla...ampions-league

In Norway, Stavanger Oilers leads 3-2 against Vålerenga IF while in Slovakia there is 1-1 between HC Košice and HK Nitra.

http://www.championat.com/hockey/art...mite-fkhr.html

— Что должно произойти, чтобы КХЛ согласилась участвовать в возрождённой Лиге чемпионов?
    — Мы сделали предложение, хотя нам по большому счёту развивать конкурирующий проект нет смысла. Но всё же мы смотрим на вещи более широко, чем та же НХЛ, и считаем, что международные матчи способствуют развитию хоккея.
    Мы выдвинули простую идею, что КХЛ должна быть представлена там клубами по нашему выбору, включая wild card для «Йокерита» в первом сезоне. Но к этому отнеслись как-то ревниво, заявив, что ни «Йокерит», ни «Лев» не имеют права там играть, и вообще ни один иностранный клуб, кроме «Слована», от КХЛ в Лиге чемпионов не должен быть представлен. Такой подход мне был странен. Впрочем, насколько знаю, после первого сезона желание вернуться к этому разговору у её организаторов очень сильно окрепнет.

What should happen KHL to join Champions Hockey League/CHL?
    We proposed something. Even though there is no reason we as KHL to promote counter hockey project. Our point of view is different from NHL, lets say, we want to grow the game internationally. We think that international club games grows the hockey. We wanted to choose KHL clubs which should represent us in CHL. Jokerit should get wild card in innaugural season. CHL replied jealousy, they said that Jokerit, Lev have no right to play CHL, no non-russian KHL club, except Slovan, has right to play CHL.
    Here we are....
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

Pretty logic there are enough Finish teams represented, same for Czech. If LEV wins Gagarin they would have a right as Champion of KHL. Same would apply for JOKERIT.
    Russian can play the role of International hockey promoter. Nobody believes them. They have only one interest money. point.

If they bring several Russian teams I would start to believe them. Not before.

http://www.championat.com/hockey/art...mite-fkhr.html

нам по большому счёту развивать конкурирующий проект
    Here we are....
    If KHL sees the CHL as a competing project, I'm not surprised that the they couldn't reach a deal.

Pretty logic there are enough Finish teams represented, same for Czech. If LEV wins Gagarin they would have a right as Champion of KHL. Same would apply for JOKERIT.
    Russian can play the role of International hockey promoter. Nobody believes them. They have only one interest money. point.

If they bring several Russian teams I would start to believe them. Not before.
    Wait, what!? What money are you talking about? The hundreds of millions that they are washing down the drain? Please explain your logic.

Well I don't think KHL thinks about Jokerit or Lev as teams so much from Finland or Czech Republic. They want to have their right in the selection of the teams based on their own criteria and that suits their own need. They would need to popularize the Jokerit project in Finland (and to lesser extent Lev in CZE) and I assume they could see this as a great opportunity to do so. Let them participate not only in the "Russian" league but also battle it out against the rest of the Europe. The same wild cards are given for teams from other leagues that aren't champions yet have enough financial backing that they can participate, so why have double standards for KHL? These teams are a part of a league and they should have the right to represent the league not the country they come from. On the other hand they are not allowing not only Jokerit and Lev but any non-Russian team except for Slovan which means the teams from Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan and Croatia can't participate either. I assume it's only natural that they want to have the say in who goes and who doesn't. Granted it might be with mutual consent, but CHL is saying categorical no to them.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    Wait, what!? What money are you talking about? The hundreds of millions that they are washing down the drain? Please explain your logic.
    My thoughts also! Teams like SKA Petersburg with $20/30m rosters and they still charge $2 for a ticket. Defiantly not a league interested in making money, not yet anyway!

Well I don't think KHL thinks about Jokerit or Lev as teams so much from Finland or Czech Republic. They want to have their right in the selection of the teams based on their own criteria and that suits their own need. They would need to popularize the Jokerit project in Finland (and to lesser extent Lev in CZE) and I assume they could see this as a great opportunity to do so. Let them participate not only in the "Russian" league but also battle it out against the rest of the Europe. The same wild cards are given for teams from other leagues that aren't champions yet have enough financial backing that they can participate, so why have double standards for KHL? These teams are a part of a league and they should have the right to represent the league not the country they come from. On the other hand they are not allowing not only Jokerit and Lev but any non-Russian team except for Slovan which means the teams from Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan and Croatia can't participate either. I assume it's only natural that they want to have the say in who goes and who doesn't. Granted it might be with mutual consent, but CHL is saying categorical no to them.
    Nobody invest for nothing specially not the Russians they have a long term plan and you know it perfectly. The millions you say they wash down the drain are all investment in the future. Repeat. Russian have only one interest MONEY!!!!

Who has wild cards? Champion of Norway and Slovak.
    The other teams are co-founders. They put their money into the project. KHL did not.

It does not matter what KHL thinks of how to use JOKERIT OR LEV in that matter. CHL decides.
    Bring Russian teams or the Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    My thoughts also! Teams like SKA Petersburg with $20/30m rosters and they still charge $2 for a ticket. Defiantly not a league interested in making money, not yet anyway!
    Are you seriously saying this? KHL the new welfare and social aid program league.

Nobody invest for nothing specially not the Russians they have a long term plan and you know it perfectly. The millions you say they wash down the drain are all investment in the future. Repeat. Russian have only one interest MONEY!!!!

Who has wild cards? Champion of Norway and Slovak.
    The other teams are co-founders. They put their money into the project. KHL did not.

It does not matter what KHL thinks of how to use JOKERIT OR LEV in that matter. CHL decides.
    Bring Russian teams or the Champions.
    How? HOW ARE THEY GOING TO GET THE MONEY!? Please explain because I really don't understand your logic. How are they going to get the money back in the future? I would understand if you would talk about some political influence on some level here and there but money? What I know is that Russians aren't hesitant on spending large sums of money on things that other country people would never understand. And they are not shy about washing down the drain large (and I mean really huge) sums of money for things they just simply enjoy.

Well champions of Norway and Slovakia wouldn't really be wild cards, they would be actual champions. In this case I mean team that you say are the co-founders. That might be fair enough - you pay, you play. But I'm sure the deal involved some financial support from KHL side as well. And there is the problem right there. The CHL wasn't made together with other leagues but rather just clubs on their own. If the CHL wanted to deal with KHL directly (I can't imagine KHL allowing the clubs to participate without their consent) then the KHL should have the right to decide who represents them. I just can't imagine KHL allowing other body telling them who they can and can't send so of course there was no deal. And why doesn't it matters how KHL want's to use Jokerit or Lev? It surely matters to them and it's a very valid point on which not to agree with the CHL terms.

Besides, why would CHL allow only Russian teams? I'm pretty sure that Dinamos, Barys and Medvescak would be more than competitive in that environment.

Are you seriously saying this? KHL the new welfare and social aid program league.
    I understand the long term goals of the league, I don't disagree with you on that. But right now and for the forseeable furute, unless the KHL wants to be 'just another Euro league' it has to 'waste' a lot of money keeping the league and the teams funded. Imagine if the teams had to live off their own sponsorship/ticket income from next season - the league would be bankrupt come the first paychecks :D

How? HOW ARE THEY GOING TO GET THE MONEY!? Please explain because I really don't understand your logic. How are they going to get the money back in the future?

Well champions of Norway and Slovakia wouldn't really be wild cards, they would be actual champions.

And there is the problem right there. The CHL wasn't made together with other leagues but rather just clubs on their own.

Look it is easy to understand my logic. KHL is on short terms not interested in making profit.
    But I tell you that they have long terms goals and that in relation with these the loss now is
    for profit in the future. It is very easy to grasp. YOU INVEST KNOWING THAT YOU ARE NOW NOT
    REAPING FRUITS BUT YOU ALSO KNOW THAT ON LONG TERMS YOU WILL REAP MUCH BIGGER ONES.

You write like you are so sure that RUSSIA is so full of money that nothing can happen. What
    about a raw material crisis? What about a world crisis. Tell you what. The Crimea crisis is a
    serious handicap for KHL in Switzerland. I can not speak for other countries. Has to do with never trust the Russians.

CHL has three components. CLUBS,IIHF,LEAGUES not only clubs.

Norway and Slovak ARE wild cards.

How Russians use their money I have first hand knowledge as I deal with Russian tourists everyday
    in my job. many of them are just show off empty bags and spend big time basically on whatever
    expensive offer Ibiza has to give. The more flashy and expensive the better.

Couldn't the KHL and CHL work out some form of process, if this ever even happened for them to accept each others participation. So something like:

KHL Winner + (if KHL winner is not a Russian team) Highest placed Russian team from standings ?

And obviously if a Russian team won just send them and whoever else, as I'm sure they'd be more then 1 KHL slot considering half of the Swedish league is present :P

But saying all of this I have no issue at all with the CHL and KHL being separate and not together. CHL I'm looking forward to as it will be a new experience and hopefully bring back champions league hockey on a sustainable model.

Hockeysverige.se/Robert Pettersson writes today that an additional four wild cards have been provided to CHL, bringing to total number of teams to 44.

The wild cards go to the champions in France, Great Britain and Denmark + the regular season winner in Norway. This means that Briançon, Nottingham, Sønderjyske and Vålerenga are added to the tournament.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Good news, I would have expected the UK place to go to the regular season winners, Belfast, though.

Geoff
    Hockeysverige.se/Robert Pettersson writes today that an additional four wild cards have been provided to CHL, bringing to total number of teams to 44.

The wild cards go to the champions in France, Great Britain and Denmark + the regular season winner in Norway. This means that Briançon, Nottingham, Sønderjyske and Vålerenga are added to the tournament.

IHF Member

Complete idiots. This is a fucking shame how CHL selects the participating teams.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Good news, I would have expected the UK place to go to the regular season winners, Belfast, though.

Geoff
    The BBC (I know, not the greatest source) wrote that Belfast was "unable to compete" and they make zero mention of why they couldnt play. Im going to assume somebody told them not to so Nottingham could represent the league.

Edit: EIHL says its because of all the CHL club and venue requirements.
    Last edited by Starkovs; 02-05-2014 at 17:32.

IHF Member
    Ummm .. we were told previously that Belfast had applied for a wild card ....

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    The BBC (I know, not the greatest source) wrote that Belfast was "unable to compete" and they make zero mention of why they couldnt play. Im going to assume somebody told them not to so Nottingham could represent the league.

Edit: EIHL says its because of all the CHL club and venue requirements.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Ummm .. we were told previously that Belfast had applied for a wild card ....
    Don't know about that but we were told that EIHL was one of the possible leagues to receive a wild card. It's been said online though that Belfast lost the arena dates when the champions league gave the wildcards to norway and slovakia. Once the CHL wanted to expand to 44 teams, those arena dates were gone because Belfast thought they weren't playing in the competition

IHF Member
    Thanks, that makes it clear.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by britlight View Post
    Don't know about that but we were told that EIHL was one of the possible leagues to receive a wild card. It's been said online though that Belfast lost the arena dates when the champions league gave the wildcards to norway and slovakia. Once the CHL wanted to expand to 44 teams, those arena dates were gone because Belfast thought they weren't playing in the competition

Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    Complete idiots. This is a fucking shame how CHL selects the participating teams.
    Care to expand on that comment?

With the expansion, the champions of the all leagues that applied have all been granted spots. In the case of Belfast, the fact that they lost their arena dates made them unable to compete, so the "other" champion in the UK takes the spot. I see nothing wrong there.

The only question I have is why semi-finalist teams from the "founding leagues" were given spots when they finished 3rd/4th in those championships in some cases, over actual champions from other nations. Then again, those are the leagues that put up the money, time and effort to set up the European Trophy and now the Champions League in the first place, so for the first few years if they want to get a little extra bonus out of it I can agree with that. By year 3, 4 at the latest I expect a little more regularity though.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Care to expand on that comment?

With the expansion, the champions of the all leagues that applied have all been granted spots. In the case of Belfast, the fact that they lost their arena dates made them unable to compete, so the "other" champion in the UK takes the spot. I see nothing wrong there.

The only question I have is why semi-finalist teams from the "founding leagues" were given spots when they finished 3rd/4th in those championships in some cases, over actual champions from other nations. Then again, those are the leagues that put up the money, time and effort to set up the European Trophy and now the Champions League in the first place, so for the first few years if they want to get a little extra bonus out of it I can agree with that. By year 3, 4 at the latest I expect a little more regularity though.
    I was thinking about that it is not transparent at all which countries come into consideration and which are not, and why. Have a look at the conti cup results recently...

IHF Member
    "CHL replied jealousy, they said that Jokerit, Lev have no right to play CHL, no non-russian KHL club, except Slovan, has right to play CHL."

What a pity and idiotic aproach from CHL this is? KHL has nine countries represented and every country should have a right to get a spot in CHL if it's really champions league!

Quote Originally Posted by JankS View Post
    "CHL replied jealousy, they said that Jokerit, Lev have no right to play CHL, no non-russian KHL club, except Slovan, has right to play CHL."

What a pity and idiotic aproach from CHL this is? KHL has nine countries represented and every country should have a right to get a spot in CHL if it's really champions league!
    What's with the 'only Slovan' deal anyway? Why can only they join from the KHL?

It was a closed negotiation between CHL and KHL, so we probably never will find out exactly what the issues were.

But I suppose one reason could be that CHL already had lots of Finnish and Czech teams, while Slovan could have been the only representative from Slovakia.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bordshockeypampen View Post
    It was a closed negotiation between CHL and KHL, so we probably never will find out exactly what the issues were.

But I suppose one reason could be that CHL already had lots of Finnish and Czech teams, while Slovan could have been the only representative from Slovakia.
    Most likely this is not the case as Košice also may participate from Slovakia while Dinamo Riga, Medveščak, Donbass, Barys, Dinamo Minsk could come as only representatives from their countries.

IHF Member
    Slovan was one of the teams that founded the European Trophy. I guess that gives them a special status among the CHL founding teams, which are largely the same teams that founded the ET.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    Slovan was one of the teams that founded the European Trophy. I guess that gives them a special status among the CHL founding teams, which are largely the same teams that founded the ET.
    I normally don't talk to myself, but here I have to ask: what about Jokerit then? They were also a founding member of the ET.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    I normally don't talk to myself, but here I have to ask: what about Jokerit then? They were also a founding member of the ET.
    Yes, but that was different ownership and before they abandoned Liiga in favor of the KHL which essentially cut all their ties to the CHL brass.

I don't think the CHL has anything against teams like Minsk, Riga, Barys, etc they probably just don't see them as very attractive compared to the more prestigious Russian teams. I think they probably just didn't want the KHL to send all the non-Russian teams in an effort to paint it as a tournament that is "beneath" Russian interest, though Slovan obviously still has good connections with the ET/CHL people.

Quote Originally Posted by -Helix- View Post
    Yes, but that was different ownership and before they abandoned Liiga in favor of the KHL which essentially cut all their ties to the CHL brass.

I don't think the CHL has anything against teams like Minsk, Riga, Barys, etc they probably just don't see them as very attractive compared to the more prestigious Russian teams. I think they probably just didn't want the KHL to send all the non-Russian teams in an effort to paint it as a tournament that is "beneath" Russian interest, though Slovan obviously still has good connections with the ET/CHL people.
    this

http://www.championshockeyleague.net/

re designed website and news on the upcoming draw for season one.

I like the whole idea and the design but the banner with all the teams looks abit silly having so many of them!

Ready for the draw. Ranking of clubs and baskets.

Basket 1:
    1. Skellefteå AIK, 2. Kärpät Oulu, 3. PSG Zlin, 4. ZSC Lions Zurich, 5. ERC Ingolstadt, 6. Südtirol Bolzano, 7. Sparta Prague, 8. Hamburg Freezers, 9. Red Bull Salzburg, 10. Frölunda Gothenburg, 11. Tappara Tampere

Basket 2:
    12. Ocelari Trinec, 13. Fribourg-Gottéron, 14. Krefeld Pinguine, 15. Färjestad Karlstad, 16. Kloten Flyers, 17. Köln Haie, 18. Växjö Lakers, 19. Lukko Rauma, 20. Villach SV, 21. Linköping HC, 22. SaiPa Lappeenranta

Basket 3:
    23. Geneva Servette, 24. Vienna Capitals, 25. Adler Mannheim, 26. JYP Jyväskylä, 27. Luleå Hockey, 28. HC Pardubice, 29. Vitkovice Ostrava, 30. Eisbären Berlin, 31. IFK Helsingfors, 32. Bili Tygri Liberec, 33. SC Bern

Basket 4:
    34. HV 71 Jönköping, 35. EV Zug, 36. TPS Turku, 37. KalPa Kuopio, 38. Djurgården Stockholm, 39. Stavanger Oilers, 40. HC Kosice, 41. Briancon Diables Rouge, 42. Sonderjyske Vojens, 43. Vålerenga Oslo, 44. Nottingham Panthers

http://www.swisshockeynews.ch/index....-team-rankings

The ZSC Lions Zurich enter the competition as reigning European club champion after winning the “old” Champions Hockey League in 2009 when they beat the KHL's Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the home-and-away final.

ZSC, Farjestad, Frolunda & Geneve-Servette look to have easier groups in that they are in the only groups which each have two teams from "minor" leagues.

I see they are doing a 'fan survey' clickable from the homepage. All about whether you'd pay for a live steam service, how much you'd pay and things like that! Fill it out! Get them to offer a live service :D

Also the groups look alright. Looks like I have some trips to Nottingham to make.

Champions Hockey League 2014/2015

Results of today's draw:

Champions Hockey League 2014/2015

Group A
    Karpat Oulu (FIN)
    Kolner Haie (GER)
    Bili Tygri Liberec (CZE)
    HC Kosice (SVK)

Group B
    ZSC Lions Zurich (SUI)
    Farjestad Karlstad (SWE)