Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: European University Hockey League

  1. #1
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    4,990

    European University Hockey League

    Since this October an interesting project of an international European University hockey competition is in action. The whole thing is run by group of people from Slovakia and Czech Republic, the ultimate goal is to create a European version of North American College resp. University hockey (i.e. self governed by the EUHA and thus organisatorically independent from the natnl' federations) which shall also work as an alternative way for players to break the pro ranks (not via the junior teams of the clubs but via university teams).

    http://www.euhl.eu/

    So far the league consists only of teams from CZE and SVK which already have quite well established University championships. Essentially as I see it in the current season the EUHL is run parallel to these academic championships. There are six teams involved so far (University of Zlin (CZE), Charles University Prague (CZE), University Trencin (SVK), University of Economics Bratislava (SVK), Technical University Bratislava (SVK) and Pan-European University Bratislava (SVK)). The players of these teams are full time students ((age limit 27) with a typical background of playing in the 2nd and 3rd tiers of hockey in their countries. The plan is to have student athletes that exclusively play for their schools but as of now I think that for most of the players club hockey in the realm of the national federations and the EUHL go parallel.
    In the future the EUHL wants to expand integrating more teams from different countries all over Europe. Given that in Europe there is no (American style) University sports tradition and/or hockey is a fringe sport this is a very ambitious goal and I am sceptical that it can be reached anytime soon. My club for instance (the semi-official hockey club if the Vienna Universities) was approached by the EUHL as well to join in already for this season but the organizers didn't seem to understand how big this step for us would be (in all aspects) given the circumstances in Austria resp. Vienna and their way of (non) communication left no choice for us than to stay out. I don't want to be hard on the people that run this project and I think it is very interesting and worthwhile but I'm not sure that what they want is really possible even in Czech Republic and Slovakia (or other strong hockey countries) let alone in countries like Austria, Germany, Hungary etc. which they want to expand to as well. It certainly takes a different approach in project management I think and there's mountians of problems to overcome (esp. funding). But it is certainly worth a try. That the organizers are serious and put a lot of effort into it is certain and they also do have good connections (i.e. to various CZE and SVK NHL players (Lubomir Sekeras for instance is directly involved). A part of the plans is also to have a link with North American college hockey, afaIk an EUHL all star selection is supposed to take on North American university teams on a regular basis in the future. The first step in this direction has already been taken as an EUHL selects team just now played a team from the ACHA DII.

    http://www.slovenskozijehokejom.sk/2...-vyber-euhl-2/

  2. #2
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Granted that there might not be a tradition of university sports in Europe, if the various schools promote this strongly enough it might just be enough to get some curious students out to a few games. Proper promotion can create the feeling of school solidarity and start to grow a new tradition. Imagine if it was hockey (rather than football) that started a wave of fierce school pride through representative sports, that would be a huge story!

  3. #3
    IHF Member Garethw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Granted that there might not be a tradition of university sports in Europe, if the various schools promote this strongly enough it might just be enough to get some curious students out to a few games. Proper promotion can create the feeling of school solidarity and start to grow a new tradition. Imagine if it was hockey (rather than football) that started a wave of fierce school pride through representative sports, that would be a huge story!
    Let's hope so! I think the league is a great idea also. I check up on it the best I can. Not having any other language options on the website doesn't help though! But in time I'm sure it will get better. They seem to have a game v ACHA D2 Selects coming up and, like you said with the NHL connections, their board members states Montreal Canadiens coach Clement Jodoin.
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

  4. #4
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    273
    Charles University Prague won the EUHL's first season after beating Pan-European University Bratislava 2-0 in the best-of-three final.

    http://www.euhl.eu/uk-praha-prvym-vi...historii-euhl/

  5. #5
    IHF Member vorky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,785
    Russia is creating new league for students/university league.

    Ministry of Sport, MHL, FHR, Russian students sport federation will create this Russian Student Hockey League.
    Last edited by vorky; 30-10-2014 at 21:42.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

  6. #6
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    4,990
    Probably a good idea to copy this into the thread I have created some time ago about the mainly Czech-Slovak based European University Hockey League...if I can find it ;-) EUHL as it seems will have a team in Austria this season as well (UHT Graz Dukes).

  7. #7
    IHF Member vorky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Probably a good idea to copy this into the thread I have created some time ago about the mainly Czech-Slovak based European University Hockey League...if I can find it ;-) EUHL as it seems will have a team in Austria this season as well (UHT Graz Dukes).
    Does this league have a website?

    this one? http://www.euhl.eu/
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

  8. #8
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Does this league have a website?

    this one? http://www.euhl.eu/
    Yes that's it. Quite ambitious project, the organizers really want to establish something like the Euro equivalent to NA college hockey, i.e. an alternative path to a career in competitive hockey apart from the traditional European club hockey system. In CZE and SVK there's already a good tradition of university hockey I'd say and it seems that in some schools there is good support to the respective hockey teams. My club (inofficial Vienna Universities Hockey team) played Uni Zlin 3 years ago, was amazing how the school backed their team. Nothing like that possible in AUT...don't know how Graz will be able to handle all this.

  9. #9
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Very interested to see how both this and the Russian project develop!

  10. #10
    IHF Member vorky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Russia is creating new league for students/university league.

    Ministry of Sport, MHL, FHR, Russian students sport federation will create this Russian Student Hockey League.
    more details

    - new league will unify 8 current regional student hockey leagues from Russia (center, Moscow, StPete, Sibir, Ural, Omsk, Nizhny Novgorod, Tatarstan)
    - 23 cities should join the league and 80-100 teams
    - Yuri Yevgenevich Lyapkin should be a president of league (Does anybody know him?)


    source, source

    website?
    It says that innaugural season is 2014/15, I though that innaugural season will be 15/16....

    logo?

    Agreement among league and FHR
    Last edited by vorky; 31-10-2014 at 16:59.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

  11. #11
    IHF Member Garethw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    more details

    - new league will unify 8 current regional student hockey leagues from Russia (center, Moscow, StPete, Sibir, Ural, Omsk, Nizhny Novgorod, Tatarstan)
    - 23 cities should join the league and 80-100 teams
    - Yuri Yevgenevich Lyapkin should be a president of league (Does anybody know him?)


    source, source

    website?
    It says that innaugural season is 2014/15, I though that innaugural season will be 15/16....

    logo?

    Agreement among league and FHR
    Maybe we could have some EUHL V Russian Students kind of final.
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

  12. #12
    IHF Member vorky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,785
    News on russian students/university league
    - league was officialy created today at the meeting in Ministry of Sport
    - league will start next season (the league I mentioned earlier #10 is another league and will be part of this new league)
    - all legal issues should be done until February next year
    - tournament for student clubs joining league will take place in May in Sochi

    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=351196
    http://www.khl.ru/news/2014/11/19/230610.html
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

  13. #13
    IHF Member vorky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,785
    Today was a meeting in Kazan, Tatarstan about new uni league. No details, only info that there is 61 student clubs in Tatarstan and this region is leader in student hockey in Russia

    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=352115
    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=352381
    Last edited by vorky; 22-11-2014 at 10:36.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

  14. #14
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,763
    UK Praha beat UMB Banska Bystrica 1:0 in the 2nd final match to win their 2nd EUHL title:

    http://www.euhl.eu/uk-praha-obhajila...-presny-zasah/

    List of best players/all stars team/coach/manager:

    http://www.euhl.eu/euhl-na-prelome-s...zne-nove-timy/

    The article also mentions that there might be some new teams for next season of the league, namely CVUT Praha and Masaryk University in Brno from the Czech republic, but they also mention interest from Poland (Podhale- Nowy Targ).
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  15. #15
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    UK Praha beat UMB Banska Bystrica 1:0 in the 2nd final match to win their 2nd EUHL title:

    http://www.euhl.eu/uk-praha-obhajila...-presny-zasah/

    List of best players/all stars team/coach/manager:

    http://www.euhl.eu/euhl-na-prelome-s...zne-nove-timy/

    The article also mentions that there might be some new teams for next season of the league, namely CVUT Praha and Masaryk University in Brno from the Czech republic, but they also mention interest from Poland (Podhale- Nowy Targ).
    And with the Dukes Graz there's also an Austrian team in the league since last season. In Vienna there's efforts towards an EUHL team as well (I'm involved in one initiative, the Vienna Capitals have plans as well as it seems) but the obstacles here are colossal.

  16. #16
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    And with the Dukes Graz there's also an Austrian team in the league since last season. In Vienna there's efforts towards an EUHL team as well (I'm involved in one initiative, the Vienna Capitals have plans as well as it seems) but the obstacles here are colossal.
    It would be cool if it works out with a Vienna team :)

    So far it seems that the project could have some future, but we'll see.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  17. #17
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,763
    So it's 10 teams from 4 different countries for this season of EUHL

    SLOVAKIA
    Gladiators Trencin
    UMB Hockey
    Diplomats Pressburg
    HL Slavia STU
    Paneuropa Kings

    CZECH REPUBLIC
    UK Praha
    Akademici Plzen
    Technika Praha

    AUSTRIA
    UHT Dukes Graz

    POLAND
    PPWSZ Podhale Nowy Targ

    Also some news in regards to the coverage of the league

    For the approaching season the EUHA plans to level up the media presence to take the next step towards the international stage. In cooperation with the well-known partner “hockeydata”, its Canadian subsidiary “Vektorious” and the Slovakian marketing agency “RADDA” a concept for new media coverage will be projected and implemented. Main part of this new concept is the webcast of the EUHL games by the company “Vektorious”, responsible for the broadcasting, and hockeydata, responsible for statistics and live graphics. The two companies gained experience in this area by working for prestigious customers such as the Austrian Red Bull Media House/Servus TV or the Canadian Women’s Hockey League. A first test run for the webcast will be held in the mid of November.

    This new media format enables new possibilities in sponsoring and public relations since highlights of the games will be available on the website as well as on the social media channels. Also the just mentioned website shines in a new splendour due to a relaunch by hockeydata. In addition to the new style and the highlight videos of the games, the news section will be held in English to shape the presentation of the league even more international.

    http://www.euhl.eu/next-level-media-coverage/
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  18. #18
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,763
    The 5th season of the EUHL started this year with a record high of 13 teams from 4 countries.

    CZECH REPUBLIC
    Academic Pilse
    Cavaliers Brno
    Engineers Prague
    Masaryk University
    UK Praha
    University Shields Olomouc

    HUNGARY
    HK Budapest

    POLAND
    Academy 1928 KTH Krynica

    SLOVAKIA
    Diplomats Pressburg
    Gladiators Trencin
    Paneuropa Kings
    UMB Banska Bystrica
    UNIPO Warriors Presov

    Here are some highlights from a game between Banska Bystrica and Budapest

    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  19. #19
    IHF Member Garethw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,125
    Great to see an Hungarian team. Its good to see Hungary try to push and progress their hockey culture.

    I also love the school theme'd names like Engineers, Diplomats, Acedemic!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

  20. #20
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Great to see an Hungarian team. Its good to see Hungary try to push and progress their hockey culture.

    I also love the school theme'd names like Engineers, Diplomats, Acedemic!
    Yeah, it's really great to see this project growing.

    Too bad that there no longer is a team from Austria although as the name suggest they would like to expand even beyond Central Europe.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •