Thread: 2014 swiss olympic team

Switzerland 2014 swiss olympic team

Netminders: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)

Defensemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC
    Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia
    Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)

Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers),
    Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein
    (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss
    (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick
    (ZSC Lions)

SIDELIST
    Netminders: Benjamin Conz (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions), Leonardo Genoni (HC Davos),
    Martin Gerber (Kloten Flyers), Robert Mayer (Hamilton Bulldogs)

Defensemen: Goran Bezina (Genève-Servette HC), Eric Blum (Kloten Flyers), Felicien Du Bois (Kloten
    Flyers), Patrick Geering (ZSC Lions), Robin Grossmann (HC Davos), Tim Ramholt (EV Zug), Luca Sbisa (Anaheim Ducks), Patrick von Gunten (Kloten Flyers).

Forwards: Patrik Bärtschi (ZSC Lions), Sven Bärtschi (Calgary Flames), Dario Bürgler (HC Davos), Andrei
    Bykov (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Peter Guggisberg (HC Davos), Michael Liniger (Kloten Flyers), Thibaut
    Monnet (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Inti Pestoni (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Benjamin Plüss (HC Fribourg-Gottéron),
    Thomas Rüfenacht (HC Lugano), Juraj Simek (Genève-Servette HC), Julien Sprunger (HC Fribourg-Gottéron),
    Victor Stancescu (Kloten Flyers), Julian Walker (HC Lugano).

My one personal change/wish

BEZINA FOR WEBER. GENEVA Captain is bigger,tougher, both have good shots from blue line but BEZINA is
    much better puck mover. Both can be liabilities in defense as they prone to turn-overs. But seriously, BEZINA is captain and team leader with lots of big ice International experience.WEBER has some minute lately with CANUCKS thjere is no comparison.

Tough for SVEN BÁRTSCHI but the guy has not yet developed to be a lock in this roster. His supposed
    attitude problem with CALGARY must have cost him the place. SIMPSON prefered CUNTI,SURI more international experience and well integrated.
    SBISA is injuried and has played too little this season. Not ready.
    Also tough for MARTIN GERBER, Simpsons prefered STEPHAN who did not play a minute last WC and GERBER was no 1.

SEGER IS captain instead of MARK STREIT. Logic choice as he was captain of successful team of last WC.

PHILIPPE FURRER,SCB, the D man is uncertain for Sotchi. He only played 16 games so far in the league and
    just when he came back from injury, his neck paines + headaches started again.
    He is is off to States for treatment.

SIMPSON admitted in an interview that some of his players were selected under speculation.(in relation with injury).
    because of the 1 month anticipated list.

FELICIEN DU BOIS another D man (of the side list) is out for 4 monthes.

Replacement for FURRER: BEZINA,GROSSMANN,BLUM,GEERING,SBISA ?

Clear to me: GORAN BEZINA. We need his size and physical game in our too small defense.

but SBISA just back from long time injury will start in AHL for two games. Can he jump into the Olympic train with strong come back for DUCKS?

I think Sbisa should be able to come back in time, and strong enough to fill in. Even with the injury I was surprised not to see him on the preliminary roster... I know Switzerland has some other good players (Bezina for one), but we're talking about a guy who's used to playing against some of the elite talent the Swiss will be facing at the Olympics, it's not a bad thing to have.

For sure he could be hot, but he is not as good ON BIG ICE as BEZINA. Size and physical game wise they
    are very similar. BEZINA has a better shot and could be used on PP he also is a better puck mover.
    BEZINA is hot tempered and costs lots of bench minutes but he, like SBISA, are not
    scared of fighting/imposing respect if it needs.
    The best option imo would be: BEZINA for FURRER and SBISA for BLINDENBACHER provided SBISA shows
    progress in his come back. Because lockout season was really under average for him and this season he
    has 9 games only.

Further option in GROSSMANN and BLUM, both silver medalists, but I doubt it. because they are relatively small and we
    need physical size in our small defense. STREIT 1.83, DIAZ 1.81, WEBER 1.81, SEGER 1.81, BLINDENBACHER
    1.80,VAUCLAIR 1,84,JOSI,1,87.

I know size in itself does not mean much, specially on big ice and GROSSMANN is probably almost as physical as BEZINA.

Not easy now for SIMPSON. I trust him.

SIMON MOSER and his coach at MILWAUKEE on SOTCHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfoN74JU5I

The following reserve players could jump in for an injured one and will be part of Sotchi trip up to 10th February. That is the day when 8 NHL/AHL players are added and the guys probably will have to give them their Olympic badges.
    Nonetheless these players will have the honor to parade in the Opening ceremony on Friday, 7th.
    Small consolation for them.

GK: Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions) and Martin Gerber (Kloten). Defenses: Goran Bezina (Genève-Servette),
    Eric Blum (Kloten), Patrick Geering (ZSC Lions), Robin Grossmann (Davos) et Patrick von Gunten (Kloten)
    and one forward: Julian Walker (Lugano).

Programme:

Kloten camp from 3rd to 5th February,
    Flight to Sotchi on the 6th.
    From 7th to 11th practice on Olympic ice with 2 games RUSSIA, the 9th and NORWAY, 1OTH.

Adjustment of roster can be made to 11th February.

HILLER’S mask

Nice symbolic HELVETIA goddess in mat tone background and typical Swiss shield on other side

BERRA’S mask

Also symbolic WILHELM TELL and city of Zürich profiled on the other side.

I like Hiller's mat tone background but both are nice. Hope they bring them the necessary good luck

Going through the mask producer webpage I saw that they do not mind using their pictures but would like to be cited together.
    That's why I put their page here:

http://www.airxess.ch/gallery2/mask-designs2-e.php

These guys are really amazing and start to get famous abroad thanks to Hiller.
    Last edited by Ibizajp; 31-01-2014 at 01:01. Reason: copyrights

PHILIPPE FURRER is definitely out. After coming back from the US were he went for healing he could notice
    progress in visual perception but yet insufficient. Games are an utopia as he does not even forsee
    going back to practice in the near future.

BEZINA and SBISA are the two most often read names.

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-ph...-jo,44111.html

GORAN BEZINA renounces OLYMPIC GAMES and did not enter camp in KLOTEN today.
    Reasons have probably to do with SIMPSON wanting to replace FURRER in the last moment(because of IOC rules) and the one week delay too long for BEZINA??
    TIM RAMHOLT(EVZ) replaces him in the camp. BENJAMIN PLÚSS,(FRIBOURG) also called by NT coach.

Test game against NORWAY forseen on the 10th has been canceled after agreement with them and replaced
    by practice with NHLer arriving same day.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibizajp View Post
    hiller’s mask

nice symbolic helvetia goddess in mat tone background and typical swiss shield on other side

berra’s mask

also symbolic wilhelm tell and city of zürich profiled on the other side.

I like hiller's mat tone background but both are nice. Hope they bring them the necessary good luck

going through the mask producer webpage i saw that they do not mind using their pictures but would like to be cited together.
    That's why i put their page here:

http://www.airxess.ch/gallery2/mask-designs2-e.php

these guys are really amazing and start to get famous abroad thanks to hiller.
    fan-tas-tic!!!!
    Cheers, Franco

LUCA SBISA definitely not in SIMPSON'S plan anymore according to Swiss press.
    BLUM,KLOTEN, GEERING,ZSC, VON GUNTEN,KLOTEN, GROSSMAN,DAVOS, are left.

YANNICK WEBER got the green light from CANUCKS medical staff after his light injury.

So, decision fell today. PATRICK VON GUNTEN, KLOTEN, will replace FURRER.
    Silver medaillist, Olympia experience, also played with FRÓLUNDA. solid season so far. The ex EHCBIEL
    junior is a fast two way defense with good scoring.
    Very hard to tell two silver medaillist(BLUM,GROSSMAN)to go home.

Thread Information