View Poll Results: Which nation will win the Men's Gold Medal?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russia

4 13.33%
  • Finland

2 6.67%
  • Czech Republic

1 3.33%
  • Sweden

5 16.67%
  • Canada

6 20.00%
  • Slovakia

0 0%
  • USA

7 23.33%
  • Norway

0 0%
  • Switzerland

1 3.33%
  • Latvia

1 3.33%
  • Austria

0 0%
  • Slovenia

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Olympic ice hockey tournament discussion

Slovakia has always has trouble with centers but here we have hit an absolute low, with Handzuš who is currently probably slower than most Slovak Extraliga players being our No. 1 C, out of the other two centers, Marcinko got injured and Kopecký who isn't a natural center but was playing that position as well out. It's hard for our wingers to achieve anything offensively without creative centers. Still, doesn't excuse the poor effort and goaltending/deffense. Baranka has looked better than Chára/Sekera today and I'm not saying he was great. Marián Hossa has seen before unseen levels of invisibility in this tournament so far. But what's the most inexcusable is the lack of team spirit. You don't need the quality players to achieve that, every team can have it.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

What a great hockey game between Russia and USA today. If that's a preview of the elimination games, we are in for some fantastic games. Gutsy win by the Americans. Huge confidence boost for them. And Oshies performance in the shoutout was as clutch as it gets. Russians should not be discouraged. We've seen plenty of examples of teams losing in the preliminary round and it's almost like they get their loss out of the way and use it to motivate for better performance when it counts (see Canada 2010). Still, USA look like definite gold medal threat. They have tons of speed and grit - good combination

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    Loss to Slovenia and -8 in 2 games? Oh wow. What's wrong with them? Didn't expect that. Kudos to Slovenia though and I am really excited about results like these. Now if Austria would pull a surprise that would be awesome. Would love to see more surprises and closer scores as that would show that the gap of nations is getting smaller and more teams can be competitive even at this level.
    As Anze Kopitar dryly observed after the game "maybe they will stop confusing us with the Slovaks"

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    What a great hockey game between Russia and USA today. If that's a preview of the elimination games, we are in for some fantastic games. Gutsy win by the Americans. Huge confidence boost for them. And Oshies performance in the shoutout was as clutch as it gets. Russians should not be discouraged. We've seen plenty of examples of teams losing in the preliminary round and it's almost like they get their loss out of the way and use it to motivate for better performance when it counts (see Canada 2010). Still, USA look like definite gold medal threat. They have tons of speed and grit - good combination
    I thought Russia got screwed on that disallowed goal...honestly, that rule should be changed.
    That call may yet impact on the rest of Russia's tournament.
    That being said, how about that TJ Oshie in the shootout?
    Four for six...unbelievable how he does it with that super slo mo technique.
    With all due respect to Pavel Datsuk I couldn't believe the Russian coaches didn't go exclusively
    with Kovalchuk after round 3 because he obviously gave Quick a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    As Anze Kopitar dryly observed after the game "maybe they will stop confusing us with the Slovaks"
    Haha. It will likely actually only lead to even more confusion tbh.

IHF Member
    Sweden is getting hit hard with injuries.
    First it was Henrik Sedin missing from the outset and now Zetterberg is lost.
    Barely survived the Switzerland game with Alfredsson's goal late.
    The Swiss are going to be a tough out again.

I thought Russia got screwed on that disallowed goal...honestly, that rule should be changed.
    Agreed. Given that the net was knocked off by Quick, that it was only marginally off and that the goal wasn't helped into the net as a result of it, I think it was a terrible decision by the video replay.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Slovakia has always has trouble with centers but here we have hit an absolute low, with Handzuš who is currently probably slower than most Slovak Extraliga players being our No. 1 C, out of the other two centers, Marcinko got injured and Kopecký who isn't a natural center but was playing that position as well out. It's hard for our wingers to achieve anything offensively without creative centers. Still, doesn't excuse the poor effort and goaltending/deffense. Baranka has looked better than Chára/Sekera today and I'm not saying he was great. Marián Hossa has seen before unseen levels of invisibility in this tournament so far. But what's the most inexcusable is the lack of team spirit. You don't need the quality players to achieve that, every team can have it.
    To add insult to injury in Slovakia's rout by the Americans, Paul Statsny, son of Slovak hockey legend Peter and a dead ringer for his father, scored two goals with one of them chasing Halak from the net.
    It doesn't get easier for Slovakia with a pissed off Russian team and a home town crowd up next.

To add insult to injury in Slovakia's rout by the Americans, Paul Statsny, son of Slovak hockey legend Peter and a dead ringer for his father, scored two goals with one of them chasing Halak from the net.
    It doesn't get easier for Slovakia with a pissed off Russian team and a home town crowd up next.
    I doubt that anyone cared about the fact it was Stastny who scored those goals, in fact I doubt too many people even noticed.

There's just something rotten in the Slovak team (asides fom the things that are rotten in Slovak hockey/sport/society as a whole). I don't think the media helped too much with all the drama about not nomination of Šatan and the whole Šatan vs. Chára feud. (Slovak hockey is too small for feuds like that. We only ever have a chance if everyone unites together). But still one would expect our top players to be able to deal with such crap.

Also the post-game reaction was kinda ridiculous. Chára as the captain didn't even speak to Slovak press, my favourite was Sekera's comment "after the first 4-5 top teams, the other teams are at about the same level/getting more even" or something like that (I mean I know that hockey is getting more even between those teams and no disrespect to Slovakia but most teams ranked in the 5-10 range would consider it rather embarassing to lose to Slovenia IMO). Only Halák said that he assumes responsibility for the result of the game (even though he is hardly the only one to blame). I'm kinda getting tired of the apologetic responses from Slovak sportsmen. They should all take lessons from Anastasiya Kuzmina in this (she said "I'm sorry" to the fans after finishing 6th with a good effort in a race after previously winning the gold medal).

As for the Russia game, it doesn't really matter, I just hope they don't embarass themselves even more than they have so far. But in the bigger picture it's the game after that which matters.

Swiss f....JAGER'S birthday. That was an ugly great battle again. This funny English guy on BBC said that the Swiss are binary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Swiss f....JAGER'S birthday. That was an ugly great battle again. This funny English guy on BBC said that the Swiss are binary.
    Brent Pope isn't funny. He's an idiot.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

IHF Staff
    Haha, well said!
    Couldn't see the game unfortunately but Schwiiz continues to impress, no doubt.

well I do not know if he is an idiot but his commenting is done for non hockey public for sure

I agree with others here that the 3rd Russian goal should have counted and that rule should be changed.
    At worst, give Quick a penalty for Delay of Game

But it was a great game, and generated a lot of buzz worldwide on twitter. I took some screen shots of what was trending in different countries and will upload them here later.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    But it was a great game, and generated a lot of buzz worldwide on twitter. I took some screen shots of what was trending in different countries and will upload them here later.
    Yeah, I saw a ton of posts about the game on Twitter get upwards of thousands of retweets. Just goes to show how large the buzz was.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

well I do not know if he is an idiot but his commenting is done for non hockey public for sure
    He's a BBC commentator, so he's pitching to a British audience. As with all BBC commentators, he's assuming that the public don't understand the sport because none of the winter sports have a strong presence in this country.

And he's an idiot... :)

Graham.
    ---

IHF Member
    I must say the US victory feels very hollow given the disallowed goal. I can only imagine how annoyed Russian hockey fans must be. At least it happened in a preliminary game rather than an elimination game.

Sweden is getting hit hard with injuries.
    First it was Henrik Sedin missing from the outset and now Zetterberg is lost.
    Barely survived the Switzerland game with Alfredsson's goal late.
    The Swiss are going to be a tough out again.
    Tougher than last Olympics. They have a World medal under their belts now, and once (not if, but when) they get their own scoring machine rolling, look out! Frankly, that potential that they haven't even tapped yet scares me as much as the Swedish or Russian teams (though not as much as the Americans)

Olympics Huge presence on Twitter.

Back to the USA vs Russia game, about 20 minutes after it was over, I checked what was trending in different regions in Twitter and took some screenshots. See attached files.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more. This shows what was trending Worldwide 20 minutes after the game's completion.

My point for attaching this is that the Olympics puts the game on a worldwide stage that nothing else (World or Canada Cup) ever will.
    Note: #Оши is (Oshie in Russian)

Found one more posted to Twitter from the UK during the game: (Given the time this would have been approx during OT)

IHF Staff
    Ok, it wasn't pretty but it was enough. Very good goaltending by Matthias Lange and our NHLers provided the scoring, needed. Given AUT also had three shots to the post the three goals scored are not even an outlier of luck. Unfortunately Thomas Vanek is not helping the team really, very little defensive responsibility by him. On defense it was the same old story too many lapses, it is astounding how often they gave away the puck after gaining control shortly before. Way to go ;-)

Congrats to Austria, really impressed by Grabner tournament so far. Agree with Rex, Austria is'nt receiving the contribute hoped by Vanek http://eurohockey.com/article/3195-a...st-norway.html

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Congrats to Austria, really impressed by Grabner tournament so far. Agree with Rex, Austria is'nt receiving the contribute hoped by Vanek http://eurohockey.com/article/3195-a...st-norway.html
    Well done, have a good time in Sochi!

After the loss to Canada Austrian TV's hockey expert, the former NT player Peter Znenahlik had written a column for "Kleine Zeitung" newspaper lamenting that the team is further away from being competitive than 15-20 years ago and that AUT has to be seen as a third class hockey country. Just after the game now Michael Grabner tweeted: "proud of our third class team" :D

While Znenahlik is right in many things he critizises he's overly negative in general, well done by Grabner to make him aware of that.

Before the USA-SLO and RUS-SVK today games and assuming favourites will win ( USA and RUS), the so called Qualification Playoff should be this:

Russia - Slovakia
    Switzerland - Norway
    Slovenia - Austria
    Czech Rep. - Latvia

With Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland already in quarter finals

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Before the USA-SLO and RUS-SVK today games and assuming favourites will win ( USA and RUS), the so called Qualification Playoff should be this:

Russia - Slovakia
    Switzerland - Norway
    Slovenia - Austria
    Czech Rep. - Latvia

With Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland already in quarter finals
    Wouldn't Russia be the best second place with 7 points in group tournament if they win Slovakia? Given that the Finland and Canada game ends without going to overtime. That way Russia would have 7 points while Fin or Can (depends on who loses) would have 6 points.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

There's that Helsinki 2012 spirit from our boys at last.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Ok, it wasn't pretty but it was enough. Very good goaltending by Matthias Lange and our NHLers provided the scoring, needed. Given AUT also had three shots to the post the three goals scored are not even an outlier of luck. Unfortunately Thomas Vanek is not helping the team really, very little defensive responsibility by him. On defense it was the same old story too many lapses, it is astounding how often they gave away the puck after gaining control shortly before. Way to go ;-)
    Would it be better to say that Michael Grabner has become the go-to NHL'er for Austria now? He's done fairly well for them, as demonstrated by this offensive output

Some thoughts:

The Americans, Swiss, Swedes and Finns have looked really good, though I was surprised to see Sweden struggle with Latvia and the Finns give up 4 to Austria. Switzerland with three straight 1-0 games is bizarre but interesting.

Russia, Slovakia, Norway and to a lesser degree the Czechs have disappointed so far. Zuccarello has been invisible for Norway compared to his brilliant 2010 Olympics that launched his NHL career. Pavelec has underwhelmed for the Czechs, though old men Jagr and Nedved still look good. Especially surprised to see Nedved still able to compete.

Austria should have played Lange from the beginning.....Vanek's observation has been accurate so far. Meanwhile, nice win today against the Norwegians.

Latvia - they play hard, every game, every shift. And they have skill, and goaltending. But has anyone ever seen a team that has worse luck every single event year after year after year? It's unbelievable, really.

Slovenia has been the biggest surprise for me. They have been in every game in the Group of Death, though they looked tired against the USA today. They gave Russia a scare on its own ice over the first half of that game, and beating Slovakia....wow. Besides Kopitar - Kristan, Razangar, the Rodman brothers, Murzak, Ticar, Jeglic (sp?).....these guys can play against NHL'ers. Very cool from such a small country.

Finally, there's Canada. I don't know what to say about them. On paper, the best team in the world. And they've won their games. But somehow they haven't impressed me. I expected them to destroy everyone. In the knockout games, I would go with Luongo over Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Some thoughts:

The Americans, Swiss, Swedes and Finns have looked really good, though I was surprised to see Sweden struggle with Latvia and the Finns give up 4 to Austria. Switzerland with three straight 1-0 games is bizarre but interesting.

Russia, Slovakia, Norway and to a lesser degree the Czechs have disappointed so far. Zuccarello has been invisible for Norway compared to his brilliant 2010 Olympics that launched his NHL career. Pavelec has underwhelmed for the Czechs, though old men Jagr and Nedved still look good. Especially surprised to see Nedved still able to compete.

Austria should have played Lange from the beginning.....Vanek's observation has been accurate so far. Meanwhile, nice win today against the Norwegians.

Latvia - they play hard, every game, every shift. And they have skill, and goaltending. But has anyone ever seen a team that has worse luck every single event year after year after year? It's unbelievable, really.
    I don't think it's bad luck on Latvia's part, more like the lack of game breaking players. Girgensons will probably get there for them eventually, but not just yet.

Looking at Slovakia, I'd go with Laco in goal the rest of the way over NHL vets Halak & Budaj.

Looking at Slovakia, I'd go with Laco in goal the rest of the way over NHL vets Halak & Budaj.
    Yeah, this is likely to happen, I think. It's impossible to tell how much of a part he was of Slovakia's improved effot today, but he is in better form than the other two goalies and he has worked for Slovakia in the past.

Our captain needs to step up his game against Czechs if we want to succeed. So does Hossa offensively although he at least is a beast deffensively.

They play Russia again the QF qualification, right?

If eliminating Russia from the Olympic tourney on Russian ice isn't enough of a motivation, I don't know what is.

Incidentally, although I was obviously thrilled about the USA beating Russia, I hate the two IIHF rules that led to the American win.

First, the fact that the post was a tiny bit dislodged in no way changed whether the puck would have entered the net, or entered at the same angle or under the same circumstances. I understand that the IIHF's rule mandates a 'no goal' result, but I understand Russian indignation over it. The NHL finally has it right over the IIHF - the NHL's Rule 63.6 that covers this scenario makes a lot more sense and would have provided Russia with a goal, and likely a win as a result.

Second, I hate shootouts in hockey. Period. But if you insist on having them, allowing a team to use the same guy over and over again is absurd. Shootouts already eliminate the concept of 'team,' 'defense,' and 'defenseman,' but using the same guy over and over again even further dilutes the concept of a 'team sport.' At the very least, a team should be required to use every non-goalie on the bench before going back to a player who has already had the chance to shoot.

They play Russia again the QF qualification, right?

If eliminating Russia from the Olympic tourney on Russian ice isn't enough of a motivation, I don't know what is.
    Nope, actually Slovakia plays the Czechs (as they finish 10th in the prelminary table thanks to today's one point aheead of Latvia and Norway). Which is probably more interesting than the Russians again (doubt they could keep up with them in asecond game in the tourney).

Russia will most likely play Norway, I think.

IHF Member
    Can never understand Slovakia...Latvia has impressed making every game close ...I expected Slovenia to be destroyed and they have been competitive. Probably be best for Canada if they lose today...they could use another game.

Second, I hate shootouts in hockey. Period. But if you insist on having them, allowing a team to use the same guy over and over again is absurd. Shootouts already eliminate the concept of 'team,' 'defense,' and 'defenseman,' but using the same guy over and over again even further dilutes the concept of a 'team sport.' At the very least, a team should be required to use every non-goalie on the bench before going back to a player who has already had the chance to shoot.
    No thanks, I would much rather see the best shooters go at it. If people hate ties so much and you want to add a gimmick, give me the best at that gimmick and let them go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Can never understand Slovakia...Latvia has impressed making every game close ...I expected Slovenia to be destroyed and they have been competitive. Probably be best for Canada if they lose today...they could use another game.
    Welcome to my (and every Slovak fans') world.

With Canada's OT win over Finland, here's what the bracket looks like going forward:
    http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/ey...hockey-bracket

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, probably the funniest moment of the tourney so far courtesy of Slovakia's Ján Laco:
    http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net...gif?1392557601

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, probably the funniest moment of the tourney so far courtesy of Slovakia's Ján Laco:
    I laughed so hard when I saw that, throwing hip-checks better than most players.

IHF Staff
    Ouch, great bum check.

Ok we are set for the "real" tournament to start with the qualification and QF games. As far as Canada is concerned, I think they have played well overall. Stingiest defence in the tourney so far allowing only 2 goals in 3 games. The offence is competitive with 11 goals with only USA and Finland having scored more. My worry is the offence from the forwards. 6 of the 11 goals have come from 2 defencemen and only 3 forwards have scored any goals (Carter, Getzlaf, Benn).

Slovak keeper one is so funny...

I could not resist to post these one too:

IHF Member
    Ironically the US would have arguably had a better draw if they had lost to the Russians in regulation as they would have faced off against depleted Finnish and Swedish teams to get to the gold medal game. Now they could face the Czechs and Canada to get there.

IHF Member
    Incidentally, although I was obviously thrilled about the USA beating Russia, I hate the two IIHF rules that led to the American win.

First, the fact that the post was a tiny bit dislodged in no way changed whether the puck would have entered the net, or entered at the same angle or under the same circumstances. I understand that the IIHF's rule mandates a 'no goal' result, but I understand Russian indignation over it. The NHL finally has it right over the IIHF - the NHL's Rule 63.6 that covers this scenario makes a lot more sense and would have provided Russia with a goal, and likely a win as a result.

The disallowed Russian goal cost the Russians a chance to earn maximum points in that game.
    Yeah, it seems ridiculous having the same guy shoot over and over again.
    Canada beat the US in a world junior semi a few years back with Jonathan Toews shooting....and scoring again and again.
    Also, the IIHF shoot out was a five shooter format when it was first used now it is only three which I don't agree with.

IHF Member
    Plenty of concern in Canada about lack of scoring, although Finland is very stingy and Rask is tough. Pure scorer Stamkos is missed of course.

Latvia - Swiss rematch should be interesting along with unpredictable SVK vs. CZE. And Slovenia has a reasonable chance to make the Quarters...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Plenty of concern in Canada about lack of scoring, although Finland is very stingy and Rask is tough. Pure scorer Stamkos is missed of course.

Latvia - Swiss rematch should be interesting along with unpredictable SVK vs. CZE. And Slovenia has a reasonable chance to make the Quarters...
    I actually think that this draw is going to be pretty solid. Given what we've seen, it should be competitive with chances for upsets.

IHF Staff
    Big game SLO-AUT coming up. Ironically the two division I teams that surprisingly made the Olympics and surprisingly didn't finished last in their groups play-off for a spot in the quaterfinals - somewhere neither team has been before. The players know each other very well as most of them play or have played in the joint EBEL. I think it will be a matter of the nerves, the teams are pretty much on a level. I expect Slovenia to control the puck and attack more with AUT relying on counter attacks - foremost vie Michael Grabner who's hot and in contention of the tournament top scorer title (at least controlled for #games played ;-). It will be important how fit Anze Kopitar is with the flue bug he got.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information