Thread: Nicklas Bäckström, 2 Latvians fail drug tests

Olympics Nicklas Bäckström, 2 Latvians fail drug tests

Aftonbladet reports that the reason Bäckström did not play today was that he tested positive in a doping test before the game. Apparently it is an asthma-medicine that he has used for 7 years that contains an ephedrine-like substance.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Aftonbladet reports that the reason Bäckström did not play today was that he tested positive in a doping test before the game. Apparently it is an asthma-medicine that he has used for 7 years that contains an ephedrine-like substance.
    WADA and the IOC need to talk to a real-world doctor and revise their banned substance list. Not because it might give a ever so slight advantage, but because regular OTC or required medical drugs cause athletes to be disqualified and banned. The list is a bit excessive when that happens, I think.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    That's a shame.
    Stupid rules regarding performing enhancing substances, which this clearly is not.
    The man has to breathe you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    WADA and the IOC need to talk to a real-world doctor and revise their banned substance list. Not because it might give a ever so slight advantage, but because regular OTC or required medical drugs cause athletes to be disqualified and banned. The list is a bit excessive when that happens, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    That's a shame.
    Stupid rules regarding performing enhancing substances, which this clearly is not.
    The man has to breathe you know?
    Something is fishy here.
    Backstrom provided his Urine sample on Wednesday, after the SWE-SLO QF game. He had already alerted doping officials of the medication he was taking. The normal turnaround test for this is about 28 hours, meaning they should have known there was an issue on Friday. The Swedish team were not informed of this until 2 hours before today's Gold Medal game.
    The Swedish Hockey Federation, the IIHF and the NHLPA are not happy about the way the IOC has handled this. There is a suspicion that they purposely waited to get maximum media exposure for this ban.
    NHLPA: ‘Definitely a problem’ with IOC’s testing process: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...sting-process/
    Backstrom victim of testing debacle: http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2...klas-backstrom
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Backstrom got screwed by the IOC.....sad. At least the NHL did the right thing and has said there will be no effect on him in terms of his NHL eligibility.
    The IOC desperately needs to review its draconian substance abuse policy.
    Backstrom did nothing wrong, was honest and forthcoming about his medical condition
    and yet because of some arcane rule, he is denied his opportunity to participate in what for
    him would have been a long cherished dream...to play in a gold medal game.
    If he played I don't believe it would have altered the outcome but that's beside the point.
    It was a devastating personal loss for him and for what?
    The over the counter meds he was taking for his asthma are absolutely NOT performance enhancing
    yet the IOC in its hidebound stubbornness insists it is.
    Shame on them for ruining an innocent athlete's Olympic experience.

Swedish hockey officials are claiming an IOC conspiracy over the Nicklas Bäckström suspension.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...192042689.html

Team Sweden GM Tommy Boustedt was quoted with the following:
    “This is one of the toughest days for Swedish hockey, all because of IOC,” he said. “They have destroyed this big hockey day for Swedish fans.”

“The timing is awful. My suspicion is that this is political,” said Boustedt. “If we got the decision two days ago, I don’t think so many people would be sitting here right now to discuss this. So I think they waited to make the real good impact with you journalists.”

“I think they had the results earlier. If they hold onto the results a couple of days, the closer to the game you get you get more people to be interested in this,” Boustedt said. “They need examples to show the whole sport world that we don’t accept doping. But this is not doping . This is something else. But they need something to scare cheaters with. Nicklas is not one of them.”
    The NHL released a statement about this as well, from deputy commissioner Bill Daly:
    “We understand that Nicklas Backstrom tested positive for a substance banned ‘in competition’ by the International Olympic Committee. It is our further understanding that the positive test was the result of a common allergy medication taken by the player knowingly, with the approval of the team doctor and without the intention of gaining an illegal or improper performance-enhancing benefit. In addition, the specific substance that resulted in the positive test is not currently on the League’s Prohibited Substances List.

The positive drug test was for psuedoephedrine, a stimulant. To say that it is not performance enhancing is not true. After all, it is the same drug that has been mentioned as being abused by a significant percentage of NHL players as a "pep-up". If it isn't performance enhancing, why is 20% of the NHL reported to take Sudafed on a daily basis?

As for the timing, these aren't inconsistent with how long it has taken other positive results to come out. Duerr was tested on Feb 16th and informed on the 23rd. Marina Lisogor was tested on the 18th, the day before Backstrom, and was told of her positive test earlier the same day that Backstrom got his news. There is nothing unusual about how long it took to get the result back.

The fact that is available over the counter is irrelevant. These drugs aren't banned (or controlled in the case of pseudoephedrine) because they are restricted in society. They are banned because of the effect that they have. After all, the ease with which I can buy alcohol isn't a valid defence for me being arrested for drunk driving.

All over the counter medication has a list of ingredients. All athletes have access to a list of banned and controlled substances. And, as Bob McKenzie tweeted, "seriously, who doesn't know over-the-counter cold/allergy remedies r banned substances?" Failure to take ownership of your responsibilities starts and ends with the individual.

Frankly, the response to this just goes to show how far behind the anti-doping movement this sport is.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Well, as long as I remember Ľubomír Višňovský was tested positive for the same substance in Vancouver (said he had taken it in cold medication about which the Slovak team doctor told him that it was okay to take) and Višňovský escaped from it just with a warning (IOC cited the fact that he had played on the international level numerous time before and there was nothing wrong). I think there was some further disciplinary action against th team doctor, I think.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Well, as long as I remember Ľubomír Višňovský was tested positive for the same substance in Vancouver (said he had taken it in cold medication about which the Slovak team doctor told him that it was okay to take) and Višňovský escaped from it just with a warning (IOC cited the fact that he had played on the international level numerous time before and there was nothing wrong). I think there was some further disciplinary action against th team doctor, I think.
    When Visnovsky got caught, pseudoephedrine had only been banned for 6 weeks. A decision was taken to be lenient as a result. That should have acted as a warning to the players to be careful. Four years later, you can hardly blame the IOC for being unhappy that it clearly hasn't.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Possible 2nd doping violation on the Latvian team:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle17164169/

Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by bekayne View Post
    Possible 2nd doping violation on the Latvian team:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle17164169/
    The linked article suggests it was Bowling Green State University defenceman Ralfs Freibergs. Latvia's 8th place finish could be revoked.

Under International Olympic Committee rules, teams aren’t punished unless more than one player commits an anti-doping rule violation. That’s why Nicklas Backstrom’s disqualification for use of allergy medication hasn’t affected Sweden’s silver medal even though he was not allowed to participate in Sunday’s gold-medal final.

The IOC is still investigating the second Latvian case and the offending player’s name has yet to be officially released, although reports out of Latvia are that it was Bowling Green State University defenceman Ralfs Freibergs. The entire team may be subject to “target testing” if it’s determined multiple athletes failed tests, and the IOC can subsequently withhold funding from the Latvian Olympic Committee. Latvia would become the first Olympic hockey team to have two players test positive for banned substances in a single Games.

Thread Information