View Poll Results: Who will win the 2014 IHWC?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweden

    3 8.11%
  • Finland

    4 10.81%
  • Russia

    17 45.95%
  • USA

    0 0%
  • Czech Republic

    2 5.41%
  • Canada

    3 8.11%
  • Slovakia

    0 0%
  • Switzerland

    4 10.81%
  • Norway

    0 0%
  • Germany

    0 0%
  • Denmark

    0 0%
  • Latvia

    2 5.41%
  • France

    1 2.70%
  • Belarus

    0 0%
  • Italy

    0 0%
  • Kazakhstan

    1 2.70%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 251 to 300 of 415

Thread: 2014 IIHF World Championships

  1. #251
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dijon, France
    Posts
    97
    France is doing a very good WC. Actually after 40 minutes, the French team is leading 3-2 over Norway. Three goals in 51 seconds...
    Good game like against Sweden lost 2-1.

  2. #252
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    425
    The French are having a really good tournament - and they have already played CAN & SWE. Goals for is 2nd in the group, ahead of everybody except Canada. This isn't a defence only winning strategy.

  3. #253
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    What a win by France! What a tournament by France! Beating Canada, Slovakia, Norway.......man, that loss to Italy must be gnawing at them right now. I hope they find a way to make the quarterfinals anyway.

    Russia looks great. Motivated after the Olympic debacle in Sochi on home ice. For Russia, Belarus is almost like a second home ice. In addition, they are finally getting great goaltending (& from both of their goalies).

    Latvia looks to have finally found a legitimate replacement for Masalskis in goal. Only a matter of time before the kid cracks an NHL roster and stays there......really good goalie.

  4. #254
    IHF Member Cabal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    upper Bavaria/Franconia
    Posts
    428
    Plz stop nominating Rob Zepp for the national team, and also suspend Constantin Braun... I don´t know what these two guys are doing here...

    Terrible game after a tremendous start for the german team today against belarus. We don´t deserve to be here, 5-2 loss after a 2-0 lead in this very important game is a shame even with that young team.
    germany once again proved, that they have fallen behined denmark, norway, belarus, latvia, france and so on. We´re like austria atm, to good for Division 1 A, but not good enough for Top Division. It´s a shame in my opinon for german ice hockey, what is going on now for a few years.
    Last edited by Cabal; 17-05-2014 at 20:08.

  5. #255
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Nykøbing
    Posts
    190
    Historic win for Denmark over the Czech - so close last year where we lost in shootout.
    4-3 in shootout, Mikkel Bødker only scorer.
    What a world championship so far - everyone is beating everyone. Very unclear (except Sweden, Canada and Russia) who will advance to the quarterfinals.

  6. #256
    IHF Member CZMajkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech_Republic
    Posts
    109
    Epic fail of once proud hockey nation...

  7. #257
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449
    Up to the minute Standings now that everyone has played 5 games:

    RTeamGPWOTWOTLLGF:GAPTS
    Group A        
    1SWEDEN5410014:614
    2CANADA5401022:913
    3FRANCE5120215:137
    4CZECH REPUBLIC5112114:147
    5NORWAY5201214:157
    6DENMARK5110312:175
    7SLOVAKIA5101312:174
    8ITALY510044:163
    Group B        
    1RUSSIA5500026:615
    2BELARUS5300214:149
    3LATVIA5300217:189
    4FINLAND5210213:98
    5USA5210219:188
    6GERMANY511039:155
    7SWITZERLAND5101310:174
    8KAZAKHSTAN5002311:222

    Things are still wide open for the 5 remaining QF spots as Russia, Sweden and Canada are essentially in.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

    International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

  8. #258
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Slovakia will probably be terribly sorry about those last 2 minutes against the Czechs on the first day of the tournament. I want to say that they don't belong to QF because they were terrible or something, but to be quiet honest the only terrible game they really had was the one against France on Monday. Ahh, well, what can you do...
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  9. #259
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    So there goes the Kazakhs, straight back down, Italians very likely to join them on Monday. Would need the French to take everything from the Danish, then somehow get all three points from the Swedes and finally hope the Slovaks take everything from the Danes.

  10. #260
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    So there goes the Kazakhs, straight back down, Italians very likely to join them on Monday. Would need the French to take everything from the Danish, then somehow get all three points from the Swedes and finally hope the Slovaks take everything from the Danes.
    Nothing against the Italians but I think the Swedes would have to literally not show up for that game for that to happen. And even that might not be enough as either French or Slovaks are likely to lose at least some points to the Danes. And honestly I don't think that there's a team who deserves to play in Division IA over the Italians next year in this group.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  11. #261
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449
    I'd rather the Italians (I mean "South Tyroleans") relegate only because having them up in the elite level does practically nothing to further the sport in their country (eg hardly no media exposure of the event on a national level etc.).
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

    International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

  12. #262
    IHF Member Garethw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I'd rather the Italians (I mean "South Tyroleans")
    I'm sorry but this really frustrates me! Who cares if hockey is only popular in that specific part of Italy, they are still Italians for the time being!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

  13. #263
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    I'm sorry but this really frustrates me! Who cares if hockey is only popular in that specific part of Italy, they are still Italians for the time being!
    One could argue the same for America (there are pockets of activity everywhere but its not a top-four* in the US which get all of the media attention).

    * Before somebody says it is, you can't argue that the NHL gets the same level of media vibe as NapCAR. And USA Hockey is ignored barring the Olympics - which even then its considered by most as the "Olympic" (read: USOC) team.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  14. #264
    IHF Member CZMajkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech_Republic
    Posts
    109
    Finland in difficult situation now...

  15. #265
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    I'm actually surprised the US beat Finland. Hey, I'll take it.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

  16. #266
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,144
    That didn't look good for Ovechkin. Germans give the Russians a good fight but lack that extra portion creativity and precision to get on the scoreboard so far.

  17. #267
    IHF Member Ibizajp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ibiza Spain
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I'd rather the Italians (I mean "South Tyroleans") relegate only because having them up in the elite level does practically nothing to further the sport in their country (eg hardly no media exposure of the event on a national level etc.).
    South Tyrol is Italy. There is no arguying about this here.
    Do you think playing in Division 1 is going to help them have more exposure.
    Would you exclude the COYOTES from NHL because they have no exposure in the rest of US.
    If Italy goes to 1/4 or win against CANADA they most probably will hit National exposure.

    If you want to argue in this line you could say the same of the FRANCE

  18. #268
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    South Tyrol is Italy. There is no arguying about this here.
    Do you think playing in Division 1 is going to help them have more exposure.
    Would you exclude the COYOTES from NHL because they have no exposure in the rest of US.
    If Italy goes to 1/4 or win against CANADA they most probably will hit National exposure.

    If you want to argue in this line you could say the same of the FRANCE
    Hmm, I wouldn't say that the Southern Tyrol IS Italy, that would be grossly presumptuous ;-)
    It's a (pretty small) part of Italy though.

    Italy is caught in about the same trap as Austria, Slovenia and Kazakhstan obviously. Too strong not to gain promotion from division 1 but too weak and unfortunate to stay up. All these teams should have a tournament of their own :D

  19. #269
    IHF Member Ibizajp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ibiza Spain
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't say that the Southern Tyrol IS Italy, that would be grossly presumptuous ;-)
    It's a (pretty small) part of Italy though.

    Italy is caught in about the same trap as Austria, Slovenia and Kazakhstan obviously. Too strong not to gain promotion from division 1 but too weak and unfortunate to stay up. All these teams should have a tournament of their own :D
    yes I should have said IS PART of Italy. Does not change the sense of what I wanted to say though.

  20. #270
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    That didn't look good for Ovechkin. Germans give the Russians a good fight but lack that extra portion creativity and precision to get on the scoreboard so far.
    I read a report on OV's leg injury...sounds like it was a knee and it sounds quite serious.
    Now apparently he was hip checked by the German player but there was no penalty on the play.
    Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought the hip check was outlawed by the IIHF and therefore the German should have been penalized.

    Had the Russians not already clinched top spot in their group coming into this game?
    If so, maybe they should have sat out some of their top guns to avoid the possibility of injury.

  21. #271
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,144
    Watched the game and I'm not aware of hip checks having been prohibited. The check seemed clean to me, Ovi skated over the blue line and in the moment he passed the puck the German guy got low and Ovechkin fell over him. Principal points of contact were the Germans hip and Ovi's upper front leg as I remember, I didn't see any direct contact to the knee. But by the way he had to be assisted off the ice it was obvious something serious had happened.

  22. #272
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    I saw the replay of it and it didn't look like a penalty. He posted a picture saying he was okay, however.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

  23. #273
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Power rankings (18.May)

    1. Russia: Sochi Bear gently stokes Znarok’s moustache
    2. Canada: Ellis has left the building
    3. Sweden: On the bright side, Chris Kunitz didn’t score
    4. United States: Popeye Jones holds the Mavs’ single-game rebounding record
    5. Belarus: We don’t need no stinkin’ Corsi
    6. France: All games should be decided by a skills competition
    7. Latvia: We shot down the eagle, but the bear bit us
    8. Czech Rep.: Sobotka never sleeps
    9. Norway: Clearly, Montreal is more fun than Minsk
    10. Slovakia: Even Buffon couldn’t have stopped us
    11. Denmark: Despite our liberal nudity laws, Jagr couldn’t undress Nielsen
    12. Finland: Can we use Moomins?
    13. Switzerland: Six goals! But this is very wasteful….
    14. Germany: If you never stop working hard, you too can lose four straight
    15. Italy: Thank you for calling the Roman Empire. We are now closed.
    16. Kazakhstan: Hey, we once beat Thailand 52-1

  24. #274
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    The check looked clean to me.
    Kink set up the check long before contact actually happened, leaned down in such a way that had Ovechkin not tried to avoid the check, contact would have been hip-on-hip. Actually, that was about as textbook an example of how to deliver a hip check as you can find.
    However, Ovechkin saw the check coming and at the last minute jumped up and sideways, and instead of taking the check on his hip, took the impact on his leg, which spun him sideways awkwardly. The resulting injury, you can argue, actually happened in part BECAUSE Ovechkin tried to avoid the check.

    As far as hip checking being illegal, I don't believe this to be the case.

    In the rulebook, Rule 524: Clipping, states:
    A player who delivers a check in a clipping manner or lowers his own body position
    to deliver a check on or below an opponents knees,
    In this case the key element for a clipping penalty to be called is that contact happens at or below the knees.

    Rule 539: Tripping, states:
    A player who shall place his stick, leg, foot, arm, hand or elbow in such a manner that it shall
    cause his opponent to trip or fall shall be assessed
    You'll see that in the detailed description here, the hip is not mentioned, thus indicating that a proper hip check is not considered a tripping penalty.

  25. #275
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Really sorry to see OV get hurt like that. You never want to see a guy get hurt, especially not one of the greats, and especially not someone who so obviously loves to play the game like OV does. With that said, it was a perfectly clean and legal hip check.

    As for the US, I'm stunned that they beat Finland in regulation, and I'm stunned that 40-year old Tim Thomas outdueled Pekka Rinne. The US came into the game with the worst goaltending statistics in the entire 16-team tournament, and Pekka Rinne is a bonafide NHL superstar goaltender.

  26. #276
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,119
    South Tyrol is Italy, at least according to the results of WW1, but Canada is not. German speaking Italian team does not bother me, but the English speaking one, does. I'm glad Italy is going to be relegated and hope it'll stay in Division I for foreseable future.

  27. #277
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    I'm sorry but this really frustrates me! Who cares if hockey is only popular in that specific part of Italy, they are still Italians for the time being!
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't say that the Southern Tyrol IS Italy, that would be grossly presumptuous ;-)
    It's a (pretty small) part of Italy though.

    Italy is caught in about the same trap as Austria, Slovenia and Kazakhstan obviously. Too strong not to gain promotion from division 1 but too weak and unfortunate to stay up. All these teams should have a tournament of their own :D
    Guys, allow me to clarify.
    My issues with Italy are multifaceted. Some of the following has been posted by the few Italian posters we have had here in the past who have shared their frustrations
    • Those in charge of hockey in the country are more worried about keeping their jobs and holding onto power than to actually try to promote hockey in the country
    • The general level of teams - in terms of merchandising, professionalism, comunication, structure - is very amateurish, mainly because teams are generally from small towns near the Alps (Only exception is Milan, with very professional management and structure.)
    • (Before Bolzano's move to the EBEL and Milan's flirtation with the KHL) the federation has preferred to encourage local derbies such as Renon-Bolzano or Renon-Val Pusteria (relatively very small towns) where arenas are sold out with about 1000 people
      • They encourage this over trying to develop hockey in cities like Rome (where there is a good ice rink complex that is now abandoned), Bologna (amateur team only) or Turin. The Olympic games did not promote any hockey culture in Turin. (ie, during Olympic Gold medal final, some fans who could not get tickets were trying to watch the game in local bars, but had to go from place to place since some soccer match was playing....)
      • these small towns with the current teams also don't want to grow the league into the bigger cities because they fear that they will eventually lose their teams as more bigger cities take up the sport. Also, the fans of these small towns also prefer to play vs other small towns in the area. A game vs a big city such as Milan would probably draw less fans than vs a rival town nearby.
    • The federations continual habit of relying on North Americans (Canadians mostly) for the national team than using home grown talent from the limited areas the game is played. I would be more proud of Italy being wherever their home talent places them in the world order (lower Div 1/upper Div 2 most likely)
    • I have no issue with the fact that those from Tyrol are mostly German speaking as opposed to Italian, but that only an extremely small geographical portion of the country cares about the sport. I would call it "Team Calabria" if hockey was only played there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    South Tyrol is Italy. There is no arguying about this here.
    Do you think playing in Division 1 is going to help them have more exposure.
    Would you exclude the COYOTES from NHL because they have no exposure in the rest of US.
    If Italy goes to 1/4 or win against CANADA they most probably will hit National exposure.

    If you want to argue in this line you could say the same of the FRANCE
    Ibizajp, from my understanding, a QF berth, or even a win against Canada would not hit any sort of national exposure in Italy. Outside of Milano and S. Tyrol, I've been told nobody would notice.
    That is not the case with France where the opening victory over Canada made headlines.

    Hockey is a sport fighting for relevancy in many countries, and I would rather that a nation where any national team success would be ignored by the home population not take part in this yearly elite level world championships and celebration of the sport we here all love.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    South Tyrol is Italy, at least according to the results of WW1, but Canada is not. German speaking Italian team does not bother me, but the English speaking one, does. I'm glad Italy is going to be relegated and hope it'll stay in Division I for foreseable future.
    I agree with Drax in hoping that Italy will stay in Div 1 for the foreseeable future.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

    International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

  28. #278
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Jazz if you want to judge whether a team belongs into this level of play by the incompetence of that countries' hockey federation or hockey clubs, there are more teams that ought not to be here in such a case.

    Now Drax's point, I actually agree with, especially when it comes to players such as Brian Ihnacak.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  29. #279
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    As for the US, I'm stunned that they beat Finland in regulation, and I'm stunned that 40-year old Tim Thomas outdueled Pekka Rinne. The US came into the game with the worst goaltending statistics in the entire 16-team tournament, and Pekka Rinne is a bonafide NHL superstar goaltender.
    The Americans played well defensively and that in turn helped Thomas who I thought had his best performance so far.
    The US coaching staff have stubbornly stuck with Thomas despite some poor outings.
    Maybe they know something we don't.

  30. #280
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Well, congrats to the French for the big win today and to advancing to the quarterfinals. It had to work out eventually after the last two years. :)
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  31. #281
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Absolutely fantastic match from France, that top line is amazing and a quarter-final spot.

    So Group A is set, Canada, Sweden, Czech Republic and France move on, just need to decide who plays where. Over in B Group, the Swiss are gone leaving just Belarus, Latvia and Finland. An over-time win tonight for Latvia is good enough to get them in.

  32. #282
    IHF Member WHawks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Århus, Denmark
    Posts
    1,431
    Pathetic effort in the third in a totally even game till then.
    Time to rethink the way we want to play, this new passing game introduced with new head coach Janne Karlsson has now failed us in the Olympics qual (partially introduced by Per Bäckman at this point) and in the WC. It's pretty obvious we still do not have the players to play this way. Keep it simple like Norway and France is the way forward for a team our level.
    On top of that France and to some extended Norway have made their first line really shine in several games, we never managed to get Bødker, Hansen or Jensen to have any real impact in each game. The lack of a natural 1. center will be what's remembered as the main problem.
    Some highlights for Denmark this tournament has to be Emil Kristensen playing his first WC, solid in every game with very few mistakes made. Forward Jesper Jensen also had a bit of a breakthrough tournament scoring 3 goals so far, and centering our overall probably most successful line.

    And yeah I know there's one more game, but hard to look forward to that after this result.

  33. #283
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Pathetic effort in the third in a totally even game till then.
    Time to rethink the way we want to play, this new passing game introduced with new head coach Janne Karlsson has now failed us in the Olympics qual (partially introduced by Per Bäckman at this point) and in the WC. It's pretty obvious we still do not have the players to play this way. Keep it simple like Norway and France is the way forward for a team our level.
    On top of that France and to some extended Norway have made their first line really shine in several games, we never managed to get Bødker, Hansen or Jensen to have any real impact in each game. The lack of a natural 1. center will be what's remembered as the main problem.
    Some highlights for Denmark this tournament has to be Emil Kristensen playing his first WC, solid in every game with very few mistakes made. Forward Jesper Jensen also had a bit of a breakthrough tournament scoring 3 goals so far, and centering our overall probably most successful line.

    And yeah I know there's one more game, but hard to look forward to that after this result.
    Now, that is a sentiment that we both share :D
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  34. #284
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    And yeah I know there's one more game, but hard to look forward to that after this result.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Now, that is a sentiment that we both share :D
    Could always spice things up....come on Italy! I really want to see it happen but then Id probably feel bad if Denmark ended up getting relegated because of it. haha

  35. #285
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Nykøbing
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Pathetic effort in the third in a totally even game till then.
    Time to rethink the way we want to play, this new passing game introduced with new head coach Janne Karlsson has now failed us in the Olympics qual (partially introduced by Per Bäckman at this point) and in the WC. It's pretty obvious we still do not have the players to play this way. Keep it simple like Norway and France is the way forward for a team our level.
    On top of that France and to some extended Norway have made their first line really shine in several games, we never managed to get Bødker, Hansen or Jensen to have any real impact in each game. The lack of a natural 1. center will be what's remembered as the main problem.
    Some highlights for Denmark this tournament has to be Emil Kristensen playing his first WC, solid in every game with very few mistakes made. Forward Jesper Jensen also had a bit of a breakthrough tournament scoring 3 goals so far, and centering our overall probably most successful line.

    And yeah I know there's one more game, but hard to look forward to that after this result.
    Yeah it's an overambitious playing style based on the material we have available.
    It's interesting that with more and less the same players we had excellent defense last year, while this year it's close to a disaster.
    I go for a system based on solid packed defense with fast counterattack. Thats something we really have players for (for instance Bødker & Hansen). We probably can't be a physical team like Norway but we can stay way more tight than we have done this WC.
    Also psychology: We basically got rattled by the Norwegians in a game we could have won if the players had not lost their heads. Against France they totally crumbled after the 3-2 goal. The team has to be more prepared for these occurrences.

  36. #286
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Yeah, I noticed that Denmark has been attempting a similar playing style as Sweden. But the result is kinda different when your players aren't as great at puck control as most Swedes usually are.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  37. #287
    IHF Member Ibizajp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ibiza Spain
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Guys, allow me to clarify.
    My issues with Italy are multifaceted. Some of the following has been posted by the few Italian posters we have had here in the past who have shared their frustrations
    • Those in charge of hockey in the country are more worried about keeping their jobs and holding onto power than to actually try to promote hockey in the country
    • The general level of teams - in terms of merchandising, professionalism, comunication, structure - is very amateurish, mainly because teams are generally from small towns near the Alps (Only exception is Milan, with very professional management and structure.)
    • (Before Bolzano's move to the EBEL and Milan's flirtation with the KHL) the federation has preferred to encourage local derbies such as Renon-Bolzano or Renon-Val Pusteria (relatively very small towns) where arenas are sold out with about 1000 people
      • They encourage this over trying to develop hockey in cities like Rome (where there is a good ice rink complex that is now abandoned), Bologna (amateur team only) or Turin. The Olympic games did not promote any hockey culture in Turin. (ie, during Olympic Gold medal final, some fans who could not get tickets were trying to watch the game in local bars, but had to go from place to place since some soccer match was playing....)
      • these small towns with the current teams also don't want to grow the league into the bigger cities because they fear that they will eventually lose their teams as more bigger cities take up the sport. Also, the fans of these small towns also prefer to play vs other small towns in the area. A game vs a big city such as Milan would probably draw less fans than vs a rival town nearby.
    • The federations continual habit of relying on North Americans (Canadians mostly) for the national team than using home grown talent from the limited areas the game is played. I would be more proud of Italy being wherever their home talent places them in the world order (lower Div 1/upper Div 2 most likely)
    • I have no issue with the fact that those from Tyrol are mostly German speaking as opposed to Italian, but that only an extremely small geographical portion of the country cares about the sport. I would call it "Team Calabria" if hockey was only played there.



    Ibizajp, from my understanding, a QF berth, or even a win against Canada would not hit any sort of national exposure in Italy. Outside of Milano and S. Tyrol, I've been told nobody would notice.
    That is not the case with France where the opening victory over Canada made headlines.

    Hockey is a sport fighting for relevancy in many countries, and I would rather that a nation where any national team success would be ignored by the home population not take part in this yearly elite level world championships and celebration of the sport we here all love.

    I agree with Drax in hoping that Italy will stay in Div 1 for the foreseeable future.
    Reading all this you basically do not want Italy to stay in Div. 1 because of:

    -amateurish league structure
    -hockey in small town??
    -corrupt functionaries
    -North American players with Italian origin(or not)

    First three point are not specific to Italy.

    I agree with your point about North Americans: I dont like them to use North American, nor do I
    like it for other countries. I do not even like it at club level(IN EUROPE) when like in EBEL
    or DEL or MEDVESCAK, proportion are disproportionate.

    still the Italian have also home grown players who deserve to showcase themselves.

    And frankly who cares if hockey is only, for now, locally popular in a country. Italian hockey
    exists naturally in the Italian Alps more than in Texas,Arizona,California,Florida.

    There is no evidence that a success of the NT would not make national news.
    Comparing with Ski with basically the same geographical location, you cannot deny Italian
    SKIER have success and national press talks about it regularly. What the Italian are missing to
    make the breakthrough is success to boost national pride in hockey.
    Who wants to talk about perpetual losers. That is exactly what is happening now in France.
    Nobody would talk about it except specialized forums if the French finish last or stay in div. 1.

    All this to say that your reasons for denying Italy a sometimes place in Elite are not
    convincing me. But I do respect your opinion o.c.

    I would like to read what Italians think about all this. Anyone in this forum?

  38. #288
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Really sorry to see OV get hurt like that. You never want to see a guy get hurt, especially not one of the greats, and especially not someone who so obviously loves to play the game like OV does. With that said, it was a perfectly clean and legal hip check.
    Well, apparently the IIHF didn't think it was clean.
    Kink was given a one game suspension.
    It was ruled clipping, albeit accidental.

    From the IIHF site:


    http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/en/news/kink-suspended/

  39. #289
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    59
    Id like to say few things so listen.

    First of all how can they rank Italy higher then Kazakstan just by points or what? Kazakstan offers nations a match, Italy doesnt. They are quit terrible actually, no offence....

    Kazakstan belongs in Top Division as they proven to be a tough opponent which Italy isnt. Id rather see Kazakstan and Austria always but its funny for many years now Italy and Kazakstan down and up and same goes for Austria and SLovenia, been like this for 4-5 years now? Japan had their chance but screwed it up big time.

    Also fun to see that Latvia and Belarus now can play Finland out of a quarterfinal, id see Belarus win against Latvia now currently leading 2-0* and that Latvia beats Switzerland tomorrow.

    Also as im Swedish it good that we lost to Canada because if Latvia doesnt win it means Finland finish 4th and plays Canada haha:D


    Also im very very disappointed of the game that Denmark played today, losing 6-2 to France thats pathetic, like wtf, u have 5 nhl players, more experience but that play in third period, jesus. But congrats to France on the other hand they play so well.. Why lose to Italy and no penalty-shoot against Sweden in the last second..


    Sweden have 2-1* against Italy right now, i will apply for another citizenship if we lose 1 point to Italy!

  40. #290
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyyboi View Post
    Also im very very disappointed of the game that Denmark played today, losing 6-2 to France thats pathetic, like wtf, u have 5 nhl players, more experience but that play in third period, jesus. But congrats to France on the other hand they play so well.. Why lose to Italy and no penalty-shoot against Sweden in the last second..
    Despite Ekholm's hooking, Fleury did get a shot before losing balance so it meant a delayed 2 minutes minor. Roussel followed up but Nilsson did a great save. Then you have the buzzer and it's game over. The referee made the right call, that's all.

    It didn't stop the French from getting a QF spot which is an incredible performance. Congrats to them, they deserve it. On top of that, it's kind of weird to see two french guys in the Top 5 scoring table after six games.

  41. #291
    IHF Member fikret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    beograd
    Posts
    522
    Latvia is robbed! Shame on referee!
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

  42. #292
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    279
    Disgusting unprofessional refereeing. Poor Latvia!

  43. #293
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Went from a very happy day to really, really, really pissed off.....need a drink.

  44. #294
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Went from a very happy day to sad to really, really, really pissed off.....need a drink.
    Gentlemen...the game was not available in Canada so I have no idea what went on.
    But it seems like something outrageous happened concerning the officiating...could someone please explain.

  45. #295
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Haven't seen it either, but from what I heard a regular Latvian game-tying goal wasn't recognized due to goalie interference which didn't happen or something like that.

    The refereeing in this tourney has left a lot to be desired.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  46. #296
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ogre, Latvia
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Went from a very happy day to really, really, really pissed off.....need a drink.
    referee ... ruined game

  47. #297
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,144
    Borderline call to rule that was goaltender interference, I'd rather say it wasn't. Latvian player was hardly in the crease and didn't make contact with the goalie, don't think he impeded him just a good and very close in screen...should have counted.

  48. #298
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Gentlemen...the game was not available in Canada so I have no idea what went on.
    But it seems like something outrageous happened concerning the officiating...could someone please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Haven't seen it either, but from what I heard a regular Latvian game-tying goal wasn't recognized due to goalie interference which didn't happen or something like that.

    The refereeing in this tourney has left a lot to be desired.
    Here, video is best, judge for yourself and tell me...(skip to about 1.20 mark, replay is at 2.04, best view from overhead starts at 2.14)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyjS0GCGo4

  49. #299
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Borderline call to rule that was goaltender interference, I'd rather say it wasn't. Latvian player was hardly in the crease and didn't make contact with the goalie, don't think he impeded him just a good and very close in screen...should have counted.
    A 'home town' call, maybe?

  50. #300
    IHF Member Ibizajp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ibiza Spain
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Went from a very happy day to really, really, really pissed off.....need a drink.
    Know what you mean had the same feeling after USA game for Swiss. Had a few drinks....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •