Thread: IIHF Annual Congress, 2014

IHF Member

IIHF Annual Congress, 2014

from IIHF website ( http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/en/new...nges-proposed/ )

Rule changes proposed
    Congress to determine new Rule Book
    Published 22.05.2014 21:53 GMT+3 | Author Martin Merk
    Rule changes proposed

At the 2014 IIHF Annual Congress in Minsk that starts on Friday, IIHF members will discuss about changes for the IIHF Rule Book 2014-2018.

The IIHF Rule Book is revised every four years and for the 2014 IIHF Annual Congress 86 proposals for 57 rules came together from five committees and several IIHF member national associations.

Some major proposals that will be individually discussed and voted on include:

• to standardize the dimensions of the ice surface
    • to move the goal line closer to the end of the rink (from 4 to 3.3 metres)
    • to move the blue line in order to standardize and also increase the offensive zones
    • to remove the “cheater piece” of goalkeepers’ catching gloves
    • to double the penalty for goalkeeper interference to 2+2 minutes
    • to penalize any deliberate grabbing, twisting or holding of an opponent’s head with a major penalty
    • to forbid bass drums at ice rinks in addition to air horns and whistles already mentioned in the current rule book.
    • that goalkeepers cannot freeze the puck if the shot originates from outside the blue line

There will also be controversial major rule proposals for discussions such as proposals to reinstate the red-line offside or to introduce touch icing.

Several rule changes determined as minor and housekeeping will be voted en bloc including the definition of an ice surface as surface made of frozen water, that players taller than two metres can request exceptions for a longer shaft of the stick, to allow and include one-piece catching gloves, a new rule for slew-footing to distinguish from the tripping rule and a new rule for broken sticks that allows to get new sticks to be handed only at the player bench except for goalkeepers, who can receive a new goalkeeper stick from a teammate.
    Continue reading

The 2014 IIHF Annual Congress will also debate about changes in the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws and regulations. New versions of these and the Rule Book will be produced this upcoming summer. Congress will also allocate the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship with Denmark and Latvia as applicants (see separate story) and the tournaments for the upcoming season.

So Denmark or Latvia? Maybe we should start a poll, even if it is a bit late...

I really wonder who suggested to ban the drums and what are the reasons? Really this is the most important problem for somebody in international icehockey?

So Denmakr it is. Congrats and hope it will have some effect on the popularity of hockey in the country.

As for the drums thing, it's a strange point, I think an important ones for some fans. However as far as I remember drums were already banned for example at the Worlds in Slovakia in 2011 and it didn't seem to hurt the atmosphere that much.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member
    2015 in Donetsk... What kind of damn retard voted for this??? What country will it by by then? Russia? Independent Donetsk Republic? What could possibly be wrong with Cracovia? Idiots.

In case nobody noticed, Division III will be a 7 team affair, Bosnia & Herzegovina joining the fray.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Then, as it seems appropriate, I'd like to congratualte IIHF for their infinete wisdom for deciding against the participating countries' will and awarding the 2015 DIV1A WC to Donetsk. Yes the place where 9 people were killed just yesterday in civil war.

I hope I'm being PC now.

Quote Originally Posted by veghist View Post
    Oh, I've been a naughty boy... I stand scolded.
    Then, as it seems appropriate, I'd like to congratualte IIHF for their infinete wisdom for deciding against the participating countries' will and awarding the 2015 DIV1A WC to Donetsk. Yes the place where 9 people were killed just yesterday in civil war.

I hope I'm being PC now.
    Haha, nothing happened to you at all my friend, I just moved your post over here. :D

IHF Member
    Well done BIH, good luck to them. Shame there's no team from TPE though. Who's hosting ?

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    In case nobody noticed, Division III will be a 7 team affair, Bosnia & Herzegovina joining the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Well done BIH, good luck to them. Shame there's no team from TPE though. Who's hosting ?

Geoff
    Turkey, in İzmir.

I hope I'm being PC now.
    Absolutely incredible. The only reason to accept Donetsk's bid was if no one else wanted it. But, considering Krakow also bid, Donetsk's should have been immediately dismissed. Does anyone really have any confidence that either the tournament will go ahead or, if it does, that a Ukrainian national team can play there without incident?

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member
    Good to see a full Division III tournament again. Glad that Hong Kong is coming back, and that Georgia is staying for a third year in a row (despite the obvious skill discrepancy). Also good to have Bosnia and Herzegovina back again; hopefully they stick around this time.

IHF Member
    Furthermore, Oman joins the IIHF as the "73rd" member. I use quotes there because after much effort to update the relevant Wikipedia pages, I find the IIHF still lists Armenia as a member for this purpose, even though they have been suspended since 2010.

Well done Anad and Oman

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Absolutely incredible. The only reason to accept Donetsk's bid was if no one else wanted it. But, considering Krakow also bid, Donetsk's should have been immediately dismissed. Does anyone really have any confidence that either the tournament will go ahead or, if it does, that a Ukrainian national team can play there without incident?

Graham.
    And the funniest thing is that the participating countries voted 8:4 in favour of Krakkow, while the IIHF delegates voted 10:3 in favour of Donetsk....
    Donetsk have no airline connection, only 8 hotels for accomodation, and for example the Hungarian Ministry of Exterior has on his homepage that the Donetsk area is a civil war area and everyone is to go ther on his own risk as foreigners are not saf there....
    The Polish wanted to open a brand new venue with 15000 seats for the occasion in a beautiful city. 3-5000 Hungarians alone were expected. Donetsk arena is for 4000 people unless I'm mistaken, and no facilities for foreign supporters...

Donetsk have ... only 8 hotels for accomodation, ... and no facilities for foreign supporters...
    With a tone of sarcasm he says, but its great for spectators. With only eight hotels, the fans will more likely be rubbing shoulders with players or officials with their choice of hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser_matias View Post
    Furthermore, Oman joins the IIHF as the "73rd" member. I use quotes there because after much effort to update the relevant Wikipedia pages, I find the IIHF still lists Armenia as a member for this purpose, even though they have been suspended since 2010.
    Armenia was suspended from competition, they are still members. I haven't heard of them having their membership revoked, anyway.

Congratulations are in order for Georgia as well in having their membership upgraded to Full, from Associate!

And of course to Oman for joining the club!

As for the Krakow/Donetsk thing........ I'll keep my political observations out of this, and just say that we might have heard this story before... *sigh*

IHF Member
    When is the 12 800-seat Kalmius Arena in Donetsk supposed to open?

IHF Member
    (google translated from the article of hokej.net)

"President of the IIHF: Decision was simple
    World hockey community believes that the situation in Ukraine is stable . The decision to grant the organization of the World Championship Division IA Donieckowi was so simple - says the president of the International Ice Hockey Federation ( IIHF ) , René Fasel .

IIHF congress in Minsk decided yesterday that next year's World Championship Division I Group A will take place in Donetsk, and not in Cracow. In that decision did not prevent voters unstable political situation in the east of Ukraine. IIHF president René Fasel explained that the authorities of the world of hockey were the Ukrainians believe that the tournament , which will be played on 18-24 April next year will be safe for the participants and spectators .

- We had two great candidates and thank you also for the excellent presentation of the World Cup Organising Committee in Krakow. When it comes to the organization of international events , the IIHF has a great experience with both the Hockey Federation of Ukraine, as well as the authorities of Donbass Donetsk - said Fasel . - Ukrainians always fulfill their all their obligations and now we also have a guarantee of security for the teams , all the guests and activists , because the grant of the World Championship Division IA in 2015 Donieckowi was a simple decision for us .

If , as in the past on the allocation of World Cup organization decided only voices delegations of countries whose representation in the tournament experience , this year the championship taken place in Kraków. But the vote also attended by members of the board IIHF World Championships, with the Fasel at the helm. The unwritten rule is that the Swiss support is crucial for the other members of the board . This time Fasel supported the candidacy of Ukrainian .

At the congress in Minsk , President of the Ukrainian Federation , Anatoly Brezwin assured the delegates voted that the situation in Ukraine will stabilize after planned for tomorrow early presidential elections. Ukrainians presenting his candidacy pointed out that it is an opportunity for bringing people together through hockey and the fact that they already have experience in organizing similar events . Ukraine will organize a World Cup on the back of the global elite for the third time in five years . In Donetsk held the final tournament of the Continental Cup and the level of organization of the local games in KHL Ukrainian Donbass also used in Minsk as an argument for his candidacy .

- Our decision is an expression of complete faith in the hockey community that the situation in Ukraine will stabilize in the near future . For me Donetsk is an example of how to promote hockey in both amateur and professional , as well as collaborate with fans and the media - says René Fasel .

Ukrainian TV journalist XSPORT , Yuri Kyryczenko , who was at the Congress claims that voters delegates more on the political situation in Ukraine worried about the unstable situation in the Polish Ice Hockey Association . - Poland has the reputation of a country that is able to organize the IIHF tournament , but that does not mean the desire of the great credit of trust dishes next to the authorities of the Polish trade . And the IIHF would not be too happy with the change in leadership of the national federation , which just got the second most important event of the organization of the championship - Kyryczenko writes on his blog.

Even the coach of Ukraine and Donbass Donetsk , Andrei Nazarov acknowledges, however , that it is difficult today to predict whether a year in April in Donetsk will be quieter than today. - The decision of the international federation is of course a big step in the development of Ukrainian hockey and in a sense its recognition in the international arena . And if the situation stabilizes year ? I can not answer that question . I think there is enough people in the world who can . Let's hope that all problems will be solved - said Russian coach."

To be honest, I'm not sure that the world hockey community has such beliefs what Fasel claims.

IHF Member
    "Gunfire, Blasts As Donetsk Airport Becomes Scene Of Heavy Fighting"

http://www.rferl.org/media/photogallery/25398902.html

"Ukrainian Forces Launch Operation To Retake Donetsk Airport "

http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraini.../25398977.html

New president shows some prospect of things maybe calming down, normalizing relations with Russia. With any luck, that would result in Donetsk becoming a safe location before the tournament is set to take place.
    Though I'm sure someone at the IIHF, behind the scenes, will be looking at emergency alternatives.. at least, I want to think positively so I'll just believe that for now.

Mind numbingly stupid. Arrogantly stupid. That tournament should have been awarded to Krakow in a split second.

IHF Member
    Donetsk Arena today

IHF Member
    It would be ironic, even kinda funny if it was not so damn sad...

It's sadly ridiculous that country, where in fact is (or will be very soon) a civil war will organize a World Championship. In fact, there is one year left and in next April there can be no sign of war but on the other hand there could be no Donbass Arena, war on a streets and even no more Ukraine in Donetsk area.
    Bo gdyby, ach gdyby wszystko na tym świecie dało się rostrzygać na lodowiskach, w trzech tercjach, kijem i krążkiem, to nie tylko wszak kanadyjskim zawodowcom z NHL, nie tylko wiarołomnym antysocjalistycznym Czechom, ale całemu światu, ba, nawet duszmanom z Pandższiru, Heratu i Kandaharu spuściłaby tęgi a druzgocący wpierdol hokejowa reprezentacja ZSRR, a w jej składzie Ragulin, Fetisow, Kasatonow oraz, bladź, Kapustin, Golikow i Malcew.

Andrzej Sapkowski, "Żmija"

IHF Member
    I guess Fasel and co are starting to lose the grip. First they reduce the time required for naturalisation then they give a world championship to the country in major political turmoil...

To turn ourselves away from the Ukrainian crisis, and to avoid any political ramifications of it, let's talk about the new rules, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Merk
    Major proposals that were accepted for the IIHF Rule Book 2014-2018 include:
    •Moving the blue lines to 22.86 metres (old: 21.33) from the end of the rink to increase each offensive zone by one and half a metres and standardize the length of the offensive zone at all IIHF Championships.

•The dimension of the rink is adjusted to 26-30 on 60 metres (old: 29-30 on 60-61 metres) with other dimensions in IIHF competition needing IIHF approval.

•Hybrid icing will be introduced beginning in the upcoming season in all IIHF Championships and qualifications.

•Spin-o-rama or lacrosse type of moves in penalty shots where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal will be prohibited.

•The membership has agreed that goalkeeper equipment should be reduced and that the “cheater piece” on the goalkeepers’ catch glove is the first piece to be removed as a recommendation. This will be tabled for discussions with manufacturers. As such, it will not yet be included as a rule in the IIHF Rule Book 2014-2018. The purpose is to give the IIHF and manufacturers the opportunity to discuss this initiative along with other measures to reduce the size of goalkeeper equipment.
    I'm fine with the idea of changing the blue lines although it makes it easier to play a trap in the neutral zone. I would have preferred moving the nets back slightly which the Swedish federation suggested. However, this in conjunction with the rink size rule makes sense. The typically Canadian hosted tournaments played on the smaller 26x60 ice already. Although the IIHF made their IIHF-NHL ice rink comparison rules for 2010, it seems rather pointless to bother changing it now for standardization globally. I get it though.

I don't care for hybrid icing however. What isn't mentioned is if it allows contact. Even if it does and somebody gets taken out off guard and gets seriously injured, then what? Let's not forget the reason we had no touch icing to begin with was Ludek Cajka's unfortunate demise. Again, I get the other side of the table that wants the "race to the puck" and that no touch icing allows a player to take a bad line to ensure the infraction is called.

For the penalty shot issue, that was a goalie request! Isn't the entire point of the penalty shot to punish a team committing a penalty. As the shooter, isn't the whole point to score - even if you have to get creative? I don't see what's so unfair about spin-o-ramas considering how flexible and well trained the modern (elite) goaltenders are. Picking the puck off the ice, OK, I can see that being a tad unfair.

Fortunately, the idea of re-introducing the two-line offside pass was rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    For the penalty shot issue, that was a goalie request! Isn't the entire point of the penalty shot to punish a team committing a penalty. As the shooter, isn't the whole point to score - even if you have to get creative? I don't see what's so unfair about spin-o-ramas considering how flexible and well trained the modern (elite) goaltenders are. Picking the puck off the ice, OK, I can see that being a tad unfair.
    To me its the easy way out to fixing the rule because either they dont have video for all levels and just want to blanket the rule or that refs are never brave enough to call it off so take it out of their hands, maybe both reasons. I dont have a problem if the player actually does a full 360, but its the plays where the player stops and then swings it around to the other side. Its those that never get called, the players forward progress is stopped, the puck is no longer in motion and the puck has to move away from the goal to be scored. Its the 180 goals that I have a major problem with and needed to be fixed.

In the end I guess I dont really have a problem with them doing this but wouldnt mind if they re-think the wording or way its called.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    To me its the easy way out to fixing the rule because either they dont have video for all levels and just want to blanket the rule or that refs are never brave enough to call it off so take it out of their hands, maybe both reasons. I dont have a problem if the player actually does a full 360, but its the plays where the player stops and then swings it around to the other side. Its those that never get called, the players forward progress is stopped, the puck is no longer in motion and the puck has to move away from the goal to be scored. Its the 180 goals that I have a major problem with and needed to be fixed.
    That's my understanding, too. The puck must always be projected in a forward motion in a penalty shot and a lot, but not all, of these spin-o-ramas are actually illegal. I think this is just a rule to make it easier for the referee to decide that a penalty shot is illegal.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

Looking at it today, seems like the political crisis is going to drag sport into it...
    If what I read is correct, and the attack on the arena was retaliation for the hockey club's owner siding with anti-independence forces, then this would make a World Championship a big target. And that's not what you want to be doing. Period.
    It's one thing to hope for things to calm down.
    But when a day later we see a (allegedly) targeted attack on the hub of hockey in the city that's going to host a major hockey tournament in 11 months, you should start rethinking your decision if you're the IIHF. As in, right now. As in, maybe listen to what the participants wanted to do and go to Poland.

The other federations should simply refuse to send their teams to Donetsk. Period. End of story. What would the IIHF be able to do about it, demote all of them? The message would be sent loud and clear.

Our decision is an expression of complete faith in the hockey community that the situation in Ukraine will stabilize in the near future . For me Donetsk is an example of how to promote hockey in both amateur and professional , as well as collaborate with fans and the media - says René Fasel .

I am pretty sure that some Federations expected wild card: Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, possible Israel :)
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The other federations should simply refuse to send their teams to Donetsk. Period. End of story. What would the IIHF be able to do about it, demote all of them? The message would be sent loud and clear.
    How can they? They must have voted for this. Division 1A hosts are only voted for by the participating nations. Therefore, at least three countries must have decided that they wanted to go to Donetsk rather than Krakow.

People are criticising the IIHF over this, and I certainly think that they should have overruled the decision, but it was not the IIHF's decision per se. The question that should be asked is why more than 50% of the Div 1A teams decided that Donetsk was acceptable.

Graham.
    ---

You're forgetting that there is little less than one year till the start of the tournament. ANYTHING can happen till then, things can settle down and all the war activity can end. I believe that IIHF will wait some time to see will everything settle down.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

IHF Member
    How can they? They must have voted for this. Division 1A hosts are only voted for by the participating nations. Therefore, at least three countries must have decided that they wanted to go to Donetsk rather than Krakow.

People are criticising the IIHF over this, and I certainly think that they should have overruled the decision, but it was not the IIHF's decision per se. The question that should be asked is why more than 50% of the Div 1A teams decided that Donetsk was acceptable.

Graham.
    As mentionned by veghist in post #13, Only two countries (Ukraine and Kazakhstan) voted for Donetsk while the four other countries prefered Krakow. But the 13 IIHF council members also have the right to vote over that matter and they supported Donetsk 10 to 3 giving a total of 14 to 11 in favor of that city.

http://www.icehockey.hu/hirek/hir/ke..._rendezhetuenk

Veghist wrote this earlier:

And the funniest thing is that the participating countries voted 8:4 in favour of Krakkow, while the IIHF delegates voted 10:3 in favour of Donetsk....
    I don't know how the vote is done?
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Veghist wrote this earlier:

I don't know how the vote is done?
    Paricipating countries have 2 votes apiece, 13 IIHF delegates have one each, to the total of 25 votes.

One thing for sure there must have been a political decision and Mr. Fasel made a fool of himself. Bigtime.

There are different ways to get something you want:
    Mafia link to Salzburg's failed Olympic bid?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bordshockeypampen View Post
    There are different ways to get something you want:
    Mafia link to Salzburg's failed Olympic bid?
    Guess a lot of people in Salzburg are grateful towards the Russian mafia and Putin for relieving them of the Olympics. As far as I remember the bid was hugely unpopular in the city of Salzburg and only passed the referendum due to the votes from the province in favor of it (who wouldn't be affected as much as the people in Salzburg City of course). And if you see what the financial burden is of modern (even winter) Olympics is I'm happy that the games didn't end up in Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Veghist wrote this earlier
    Apologies to Veghist, I'd completely missed that post. It's also corrected a misunderstanding on my part. I wasn't aware that the IIHF Council had a vote, although a quick look at the Statute does indeed confirm that.

In which case, there may be a serious issue ahead. At this moment in time, for example, the UK Foreign Office advises against all travel to Donetsk (LINK). That means that, if the UK had been promoted instead of Poland, at present they would not be allowed to send a team as they would not have any insurance to cover the trip. I can't believe that the UK is in the minority.

Graham.
    ---

IHF Member
    Apologies to Veghist, I'd completely missed that post. It's also corrected a misunderstanding on my part. I wasn't aware that the IIHF Council had a vote, although a quick look at the Statute does indeed confirm that.

In which case, there may be a serious issue ahead. At this moment in time, for example, the UK Foreign Office advises against all travel to Donetsk (LINK). That means that, if the UK had been promoted instead of Poland, at present they would not be allowed to send a team as they would not have any insurance to cover the trip. I can't believe that the UK is in the minority.

Graham.
    Same for Hungary. The Foreign Office advises against going to Eastern Ukraine, and worns travellers that they do it on their own risk.

IHF Member
    Ukraine was stripped of the right to host next year's European men's basketball championship on Friday because of the continuing instability in the country.

Three of the planned host cities for the 24-team tournament were located in volatile eastern Ukraine, where government troops are fighting pro-Russian separatists.

Following Russia's annexation of Crimea in March, tournament director Markiyan Lubkivsky said that hosting the event was no longer possible, but Ukrainian and European basketball authorities had tried to keep the project alive.

FIBA Europe, the continental governing body, said Friday that its board had now decided the risks were too great.

"The decision was taken after a careful consideration of the continuous political situation and security issues in Ukraine, which deemed as less than favorable for the staging of such an important and demanding event," the organization said in a statement.

However, FIBA Europe said it will "start negotiations immediately" with Ukraine on hosting the 2017 championship.

A decision on next year's host will be made by September 30, with "single or multi-country bids" to be submitted by the end of July.

Even before Ukraine lost the hosting rights, France had positioned itself as a leading candidate to stage next year's championship, submitting a formal bid to FIBA Europe last month.

The decision to move the tournament out of Ukraine was announced three days after Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk hosted FIBA Europe president Turgay Demirel to discuss hosting plans.

Among the planned Ukrainian host cities for the September 2015 tournament were Donetsk, Dnipropetrovsk and Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine, where militant groups are pushing for closer links with Russia.

Next year's championship will include two dozen teams from across Europe. France is the reigning champion after beating Lithuania 80-66 in last year's final in Slovenia.

FIBA Europe also said the 2015 tournament will use an extended knockout system rather than a second group stage, a change that had been due to come into force in 2017.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...nship-24121436

IHF Member

Donbass Donetsk youth team won't play MHL next season due to Ukraine situation

Again, time to rethink the Donetsk decision by the IIHF

google translated from russian:

In connection with the events in Ukraine, "Molodaja Gvardija" will miss the season in the MHL

Due to the unstability in terms of security situation in Ukraine Donetsk MHK "Molodaja Gvardija" will miss season 2014/15 in the Youth Hockey League (MHL). This agreement was reached on the eve of June 17, at a meeting between MHL Managing Director Dmitry Efimov and HC "Donbass" president Boris Kolesnikov.

"We agreed on the fact that in this situation holding home matches of the team "Molodaja Gvardija" in Ukraine is impossible. In connection with this team stopped performing in the Championship MHL for one year, but will retain full membership in the Youth Hockey League - Efimov commented on the outcome of the meeting. - Both sides hope that during this period the situation normalizes and "Molodaja Gvardija" will again be able to perform in the league and take home the guest team. "

The meeting also agreed that the Ukrainian team will take part in one of the cup MHL activities in early 2015

At the time of his forced leave of MHL "Molodaja Gvardija" will be declared in the Ukrainian championship.
    http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=339408

Yet the IIHF is still certain they'll be able to host a World Championship competition. *sigh*

IHF Member

Donbass Donetsk will not play in KHL in 2014/15

google translate from championat.com:

Donetsk "Donbass" miss sezon-2014/15 in the KHL
    June 18, 2014, Wednesday. 14:04

"Donbass" Donetsk will not participate in the upcoming season of the Kontinental Hockey League, ITAR-TASS reported, citing a source at the club. It is reported that the Donetsk club will play in the championship of Ukraine.

This decision was taken after the meeting the head of the KHL Alexander Medvedev and "Donbass" president Boris Kolesnikov. "Donbass" will not play in the League because of the current political situation in Ukraine. Official statement from the league on this issue is expected in the near future.

Also today it was announced that the team Hockey League "Molodaja Gvardija" will miss the upcoming season MHL.
    http://www.championat.com/hockey/new...on-201415.html

IHF Member
    12 Ukrainian paratroopers killed near Krasny Lyman

Dnipropetrovsk - Twelve soldiers of the 25th Dnipropetrovsk Airborne Brigade of Ukraine's Armed Forces were killed and another 25 were injured in fighting near Krasny Lyman, Donetsk region, late on June 19, a spokesman for the Dnipropetrovsk region's national defense headquarters told Interfax-Ukraine on Friday, June 20.

https://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukr...an-352676.html

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/210238.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/wo...osal.html?_r=0

IHF Member
    Lviv pull out of race to host 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics
    Monday, 30 June 2014

By Duncan Mackay at the Alpensia Convention Centre in Pyeongchang

Lviv 2022 logoLviv, whose bid had been in doubt ever since the political crisis in Ukraine erupted, today officially withdrew its campaign to host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

It followed discussions between Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk, and Sergey Bubka, head of the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of Ukraine.

The decision comes as a result of the present political and economic circumstances in Ukraine, which were discussed between the three parties, the IOC announced during the Sochi 2014 debrief currently taking place here.

"The preliminary evaluation by the IOC's working group found that the Lviv bid offered huge potential for future development," said Bach.

"In my discussions with the Ukrainian Prime Minster and NOC President, we concluded that it would be extremely difficult to pursue the 2022 bid under the current circumstances, but that a future bid would make sense for Ukraine and Ukrainian sport."

Yatsenyuk has also agreed that "a bid for 2026 would have excellent potential for the economic recovery of the country, and could have huge benefits for Ukrainian society".

Bubka had repeatedly tried to claim that Lviv's bid was strong enough to survive the crisis but has now bowed to the inevitable.

"We would like to thank the IOC very much for its help and understanding, as well as the great assistance that it has given to Ukrainian athletes from all parts of the country, both morally and financially," he said.

The announcement comes a week before the IOC's ruling Executive Board, which includes Bubka, meets to draw up a shortlist of Candidate Cities.

There are now only three cities left in the - Almaty, Beijing and Oslo - following the earlier withdrawal Kraków in Poland after a public referendum there found local citizens did not support the bid.

Oslo's campaign, meanwhile, remains in the balance because of political opposition there which means it still does not have the necessary Government guarantees.

"It is sad to drop out because the beautiful city of Lviv has great potential to host a wonderful Olympic Games," Sergej Gontcharov, the chief executive of Lviv 2022, told insidethegames here.

"But we have always said that we will only continue if we can be certain to deliver on all our promises.

"Due to the current circumstances in Ukraine, we, however, felt that a bid for 2026 would make more sense.

"We remain convinced of the positive impact that hosting Olympic Games would have for the city of Lviv and the whole country.

"This is also why we decided to take part in the Sochi debrief in Pyeongchang and agreed with the IOC to still discuss their evaluation of our bid.

"We will continue to pursue our dream."

Gontcharov claimed that Lviv would continue to factor the Olympics into its future city planning.

"The planning of the 2022 bid has benefited the city by inspiring new initiatives and improving existing plans," he said.

"Most of the necessary infrastructure projects for the Games are part of the city's long-term development plan irrespective of the Games and will continue to be implemented.

"Thanks to the close cooperation and partnership with the IOC, we have learned a great deal during our first ever bid and we will come back stronger.

"Lastly, I'd like to wish the best of luck to our now former fellow candidate cities and extend our appreciation to the IOC President and the whole bid relations team for their strong support in recent months."

Contact the writer of this story at duncan.mackay@insidethegames.biz

IHF Member

Krakow Arena opened

Krakow arena has been opened on 20th June. This was the arena with which the Polish Federation applied to host the Div I A IHWC. With the overwhelming vote of the IIHF Council members (against the majority opinion of the participating teams) IIHF sent the six teams to the peaceful Donetsk.

Here you can find a gallery about Krakow Arena. http://www.jegkorongblog.hu/2014/07/...krakow-arenat/

I simply can not understand what was wrong with the Polish bid for the IIHF dictators.

IHF Member
    Ukraine withdrew from hosting the 2015 Div I A IHWC

https://www.facebook.com/fhu.com.ua/...51529611737727

Even the Ukrainian federation agrees they shouldn't host. Now the question is how long was the IIHF trying to talk them back into hosting until posting the news?

Thread Information