Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FIFA World Cup thread

Bravo France!!!

Please Deschamps, never start Benzema and Giroud together, the very second Giroud went off, Benzema began the show up and began to create all kinds of chances. On the back end, was not at all pleased with Evra, once the starting line-up was announced you knew the Nigerians would target him and they did and it worked. Still need to rise the level of play moving forward, were not really impressive for the first 70 minutes.

Watching Pogba really pulls on your emotions, he does amazing things and plays like the upcoming superstar that he is, and then he does really dumb shit, reckless at times and fear of getting carded. Sure he will remove some of that as he gets older but its too bad he didnt score that early chance.

As for Nigeria, an outstanding tournament. I thought they played very well, little unlucky with that off-side goal they scored. Of course, you can not forget about Enyeama, guy at times seemed just unbeatable and you knew that from his Ligue 1 play, little unfortunate that it was him who helped Pogba open the scoring.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    OHHH GRIEZMANN!!!!

Edit: Haha nevermind, Griezmann did nothing to score that.
    Yes, own goal, Yobo...can there be a worse feeling than to have an OG beside one's name, especially if it seals one's fate?
    And that's not the half of it.
    The 2-0 goal was set up by a bizarre error by #8 Odemwingie.
    France's Valbuena sent an errant pass across the pitch that surely was going into touch.
    But Odemwingie, for reasons known only to him, raced to intercept the ball just as in going out and inexplicably conceded a corner.
    The French then only made a half hearted attempt to score sending a routine ball into the box that was inadvertantly knocked in by Joseph Yobo...a sad and odd end to Nigeria's tournament.
    Incidently, the linesman who ruled Nigeria's apparent first half goal offside (correctly,as it turned out) was Canadian.

My hat is off to you Algeria, played your ass off. With that, all my African nations are gone and will have to wait another four years to see if one of them can finally win. Europe still has 2,5 countries who can bring home the title for the first time in South America.

If people were on France for their performance, would love to see the things they say about the Germans. Hopefully that German back line shows up again on Friday.

My hat is off to you Algeria, played your ass off. With that, all my African nations are gone and will have to wait another four years to see if one of them can finally win. Europe still has 2,5 countries who can bring home the title for the first time in South America.

If people were on France for their performance, would love to see the things they say about the Germans. Hopefully that German back line shows up again on Friday.
    As much as I want Germany to beat France, the latter look like they're the team to beat so far. They've been absolutely fantastic throughout the tournament.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

the boys did us proud tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    the boys did us proud tonight

Yes, Algeria showed to be very strong..

Congrats to Argentina, logic imposed itself but enormous fight from the Swiss. I thought my heart explodes when Djemaili hit the post seconds after the 1:0. Everything connected tonight, spirit,game concept,fighting, except scoring. Great Swiss team deserves a warm come back home.

All 1/8 finals are close and very hard fought.Chile,Mexico,Greece Nigeria,Switzerland all tough nuts. Costa Rica nice surprise. Colombia continues to impress me.

Excellent work Belgium!

Still their youth shows, having trouble breaking down defensive set ups and slow the ball down too much at times. Their speed up front is great and they really need to use it to their advantage because the size of Origi and Lukaku with their speed, needs to be used. When you could get either one of them going, the US defence was left chasing and it caused problems.
    That was the much better showing from Lukaku, he looked interested, he used his size, he attacked and in the end he caused two goals, Wilmots got what he wanted out of him. Origi as well, coming off the bench or starting is showing great things, had his chances, probably should of finished that one through the box but played very well. Now Wilmots has to figure out if he starts Lukaku, if this was the kick in the ass he needed to get him going again.

Howard does show though why he is one of the best in the world and if not for him....and some nice defensive plays, it would of gotten pretty ugly.

I have to ask Conesy, what is the media/fan opinion towards Klinsmann now? I know they got really upset and some where calling for him to be fired after leaving Donovan off and if you guys failed to go through the Group.

IHF Member
    The stats from this match were a real head scratcher.
    Belgium dominated in every conceivable way.
    Shots at goal 38-15 Belgium.
    Shots on goal 27-9 Belgium.
    Corners 19-4 Belgium.
    Saves made: Howard (USA) 18, Courtois (Belgium) 5

And yet....the US almost unbelievably had 52% of possession and fouls were heavily against Belgium 27-11.

The game, entertaining as it was, had no business going to extra time.
    The Belgians should have won it comfortably in the 90, but Howard was sensational.
    He really showed he is in fact a world class keeper.

I have to ask Conesy, what is the media/fan opinion towards Klinsmann now? I know they got really upset and some where calling for him to be fired after leaving Donovan off and if you guys failed to go through the Group.
    We're generally feeling positive towards him. We didn't expect to get this far, so Klinsmann really has made a difference. If anything, we're excited to see what more he can do with the team in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    The game, entertaining as it was, had no business going to extra time.
    The Belgians should have won it comfortably in the 90, but Howard was sensational.
    He really showed he is in fact a world class keeper.
    He broke the record for most saves in a World Cup game, yeah. It's a shame we couldn't have rewarded him with a better outcome.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    We're generally feeling positive towards him. We didn't expect to get this far, so Klinsmann really has made a difference. If anything, we're excited to see what more he can do with the team in the next few years.
    There were a few idiots in the US media (who normally pay little attention to soccer) who got on Klinsmann for his comments concerning the US chances of winning the World Cup (Klinsmann said there was virtually no chance the US would win) claiming he was being 'negative'.
    Far from being negative, he was simply being brutally honest.
    And he was right.
    The US just isn't ready to win it all at this point.
    The Americans have come a long way in men's soccer but they are still a long ways to go to match the accomplishments of the American women, who have won World Cups and Olympic gold.
    Klinsmann is in fact very upbeat and optimistic about American soccer, though it is more to do with the future than the present.

There were a few idiots in the US media (who normally pay little attention to soccer) who got on Klinsmann for his comments concerning the US chances of winning the World Cup (Klinsmann said there was virtually no chance the US would win) claiming he was being 'negative'.
    Far from being negative, he was simply being brutally honest.
    And he was right.
    The US just isn't ready to win it all at this point.
    The Americans have come a long way in men's soccer but they are still a long ways to go to match the accomplishments of the American women, who have won World Cups and Olympic gold.
    Klinsmann is in fact very upbeat and optimistic about American soccer, though it is more to do with the future than the present.
    I think most fans of USA Soccer realize that, but for us, we're happy to see the progress. We exorcized our demons in Ghana, came oh so close of beating Portugal, and only lost by one to powerhouse Germany, in addition to fighting tooth and nail with Belgium. We'll take this.

Thank you and you guys should be. I cant say I was cheering for you guys (besides against Portugal) but was very impressed with the way they played. If only you could develop a couple attacking midfielders, would be even more dangerous.

:(

Sad, just no words.

In the end the right team went through, but in all honesty it was a pretty poor match, shame the heat has such an apparent influence on the quality of the play in the games where the temperature is the highest.

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    In the end the right team went through, but in all honesty it was a pretty poor match, shame the heat has such an apparent influence on the quality of the play in the games where the temperature is the highest.
    Still, France never looked like they were going to threaten Germany

Agreed

Still, France never looked like they were going to threaten Germany
    Well when you have Neuer, nothing ever looks threatening. ;)
    ----------------

On a side note unrelated to you guys posts, you look like a World class bitch when your girlfriend is shit talking for you. If you have a problem and you have something to say, be a man and open you damn mouth. I knew she would say something the second France lost, no matter how good they looked and they did look very good, hope he isnt picked in 2016 either. After the first tweet I would of told her to shut up and apologized to Deschamps.

On a side note unrelated to you guys posts, you look like a World class bitch when your girlfriend is shit talking for you. If you have a problem and you have something to say, be a man and open you damn mouth. I knew she would say something the second France lost, no matter how good they looked and they did look very good, hope he isnt picked in 2016 either. After the first tweet I would of told her to shut up and apologized to Deschamps.
    If anything, Deschamps was smart not to bring Nasri along. His girlfriend most likely would have been a bigger distraction, which, given the 2010 French outing, may have spiraled into something nastier this time around.

Im all for officials allowing players to play, but at a certain point you need to start handing out yellows to atleast get your point across that enough is enough, took 70 minutes to finally get a yellow. Somehow Brazil just keeps on going, really hope for the Germans to just destroy them, not the biggest fan of them.
    Besides that being an amazing strike from Luiz for the goal, Ospina really hurt his team by screwing up that free kick.

However, much respect for David Luiz and Dani Alves, so nice to see them try to cheer up Rodríguez and get him the recognition he deserves.

If anything, Deschamps was smart not to bring Nasri along. His girlfriend most likely would have been a bigger distraction, which, given the 2010 French outing, may have spiraled into something nastier this time around.
    Couldnt agree with you any more, it was the right move to leave him off and unless he matures, I hope he stays off the national team. No matter how much talent you have, nobody wants to have a cancer hang around.

Im all for officials allowing players to play, but at a certain point you need to start handing out yellows to atleast get your point across that enough is enough, took 70 minutes to finally get a yellow. Somehow Brazil just keeps on going, really hope for the Germans to just destroy them, not the biggest fan of them.
    Besides that being an amazing strike from Luiz for the goal, Ospina really hurt his team by screwing up that free kick.

However, much respect for David Luiz and Dani Alves, so nice to see them try to cheer up Rodríguez and get him the recognition he deserves.

Couldnt agree with you any more, it was the right move to leave him off and unless he matures, I hope he stays off the national team. No matter how much talent you have, nobody wants to have a cancer hang around.
    Brasil are overrated crap! Players like Neymar really, really annoy the hell out of me! Anyway, I agree I hope the Germans trash them and win it all now (seen as France are done :()
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Brasil are overrated crap! Players like Neymar really, really annoy the hell out of me! Anyway, I agree I hope the Germans trash them and win it all now (seen as France are done :()
    Well I guess you'll be happy to know that Neymar will miss the remainder of the tournament as the result of a fractured vertebrae sustained in the game with Columbia, a severe blow to Brazil's hopes of winning it all on home soil.

IHF Member
    I'm all for officials allowing players to play, but at a certain point you need to start handing out yellows to at least get your point across that enough is enough, took 70 minutes to finally get a yellow.
    I agree.
    There are times to play the advantage and there are times when a card must be shown to keep the game from getting out of control.
    Case in point, the foul that put Neymar out of the tournament.
    The Columbian player should have been booked on the spot but the referee instead chose to play the advantage.
    Technically I suppose he was right but that knock Neymar took was a bad one, he really got drilled in the back.
    He was put out of the tournament and the offending player didn't even get a yellow.
    I know there are some who get pleasure at seeing Neymar's misfortune as he is one of the game's worst divers but really I don't think he deserved that.

IHF Member
    The Germans have such a remarkable ability to advance deep into almost every WC tournament they've been in.
    Three time champion, four times runner-up, three 3rd place finishes and 13 times at least a semi finalist in the 18 tournaments Germany (or West Germany) has participated in.
    Even Brazil, 5 times champion, can't match that level of consistency.

What a depressing last two days, France goes out and now my bandwagon country goes as well. I have nobody left, guess I will have to root for the lesser of two evils going forward and just hope for good matches.

Overall a nice tournament for Belgium, still, four years too early for them. Really hoping they qualify for the Euros, will make every effort to catch them live there. Hopefully as well, Benteke will be able to go, just add more fire power up front.

Well I guess you'll be happy to know that Neymar will miss the remainder of the tournament as the result of a fractured vertebrae sustained in the game with Columbia, a severe blow to Brazil's hopes of winning it all on home soil.
    I was very happy to hear this news yes :D

I agree.
    There are times to play the advantage and there are times when a card must be shown to keep the game from getting out of control.
    Case in point, the foul that put Neymar out of the tournament.
    The Columbian player should have been booked on the spot but the referee instead chose to play the advantage.
    Technically I suppose he was right but that knock Neymar took was a bad one, he really got drilled in the back.
    He was put out of the tournament and the offending player didn't even get a yellow.
    I know there are some who get pleasure at seeing Neymar's misfortune as he is one of the game's worst divers but really I don't think he deserved that.
    Officiating in this game was ridiculous, referee from the beginning allowed hard play and didn't show yellow card for some brutal fouls. He lost control of the game and that's why there were more than 50 fouls from which dozen of them was surely for yellow card. There were numerous fouls similar to that of Zuniga on Neymar and that's why the non call on that play isn't wrong. That was ref's criteria.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

I was very happy to hear this news yes :D
    A broken vertebra. Great mentality Gareth87. Hope for you, you do not mean it.

I, on the contrary, think its a pity Brazil looses its best player, a young guy who is not overrated but is actually one of the best in the world. One can be annoyed at his media presence but not at his football. Germans certainly do not need this to defeat the home team.

Hope we have a re-edition of Holland-Germany final. All Euro final in Brazil.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post

I, on the contrary, think its a pity Brazil looses its best player, a young guy who is not overrated but is actually one of the best in the world. One can be annoyed at his media presence but not at his football. Germans certainly do not need this to defeat the home team.

I know Neymar's antics are annoying but really he is no worse than many others on that count.
    Surely though, you can't wish this to happen to him...no one deserves that.

It could very well be an all Euro final.
    The Dutch will have to be patient with Argentina, who'll employ the same tactic which frustrated Belgium.
    Argentina has Messi but the Netherlands have more weapons overall.
    Brazil has progressed to the semi as expected but they don't exude the confidence and swagger usually expected.
    They'll be even less confident now that they have to move on without Neymar.
    The Germans are as battle tested as any side in the world and won't let the home crowd intimidate them.

I know Neymar's antics are annoying but really he is no worse than many others on that count.
    Surely though, you can't wish this to happen to him...no one deserves that.
    I read that he came about an inch away from being paralyzed. Nobody should have to be put in a situation like that.

I'm staying away from this thread really but with a person like Neymar... All the problems about Brasil hosting this WC, the problems in Brasil it's self and he stands on the field wearing 2 diamond earrings that are probably worth more than the whole years salary of the town he comes from.. is my main issue with people like him (not just him!)

He's been injured playing a physical (kind of) sport, oh well, it happens. Some players drop dead, not much we can do about it. I don't wish him dead or anything extreme like that!

I'm staying away from this thread really but with a person like Neymar... All the problems about Brasil hosting this WC, the problems in Brasil it's self and he stands on the field wearing 2 diamond earrings that are probably worth more than the whole years salary of the town he comes from.. is my main issue with people like him (not just him!)

He's been injured playing a physical (kind of) sport, oh well, it happens. Some players drop dead, not much we can do about it. I don't wish him dead or anything extreme like that!

If the huge salaries the very best get is an issue for you you can stay away from most
    professional sports including ice hockey.

What about other fields of our unequal society like London's or NY brokers's INDECENT commission. The SICK
    golden parachute of top managers and so on?

If the FIFA or any other fed would pick countries without problems there would not be much
    alternatives left not even in ice hockey. Greeting from Belarus.

that some are happy about a rich top player getting injured is the real problem.

If the huge salaries the very best get is an issue for you you can stay away from most
    professional sports including ice hockey.

What about other fields of our unequal society like London's or NY brokers's INDECENT commission. The SICK
    golden parachute of top managers and so on?

If the FIFA or any other fed would pick countries without problems there would not be much
    alternatives left not even in ice hockey. Greeting from Belarus.

that some are happy about a rich top player getting injured is the real problem.
    Sports stars or any athlete getting paid good money for their skill doesn't bother me one bit, but why in a country with so many problems, flaunt your wealth so visibly ? You'd think he'd know better (and as I said not just him, there are countless others that do this).

Bankers and companies doing whatever they want for profit is another topic for another thread though, if you want to start it then sure, but I think we'll agree on that one :P

Anyway in simple terms - I don't want Brasil to win. Them losing one of their best players to injury gives them a lesser chance to win. Better for me!

I cannot see him flaunt his wealth in Brazil nor here in Spain. If he did, it does not bother the Brazilians much though as he is most popular player. I am sure his little defects are compensated by social action and help in his home town. Look I am no special Neymar or Brazil fan I just do not like it when somebody is happy about someone else's injury.

]

I cannot see him flaunt his wealth in Brazil nor here in Spain. If he did, it does not bother the Brazilians much though as he is most popular player. I am sure his little defects are compensated by social action and help in his home town. Look I am no special Neymar or Brazil fan I just do not like it when somebody is happy about someone else's injury.

]
    Now I keep seeing that he is going to 'find a way to play' and have some injections to get through the pain?! If he does that, much respect to him but surely that is highly dangerous for him

Hahahaha Brazil, ahahahahaha

Keep on diving, make bigger jokes out of yourself.

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAH 5-0!!!

IHF Member
    Hahahaha Brazil, ahahahahaha

Keep on diving, make bigger jokes out of yourself.

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAH 5-0!!!
    This tournament was supposed to be redemption for 1950.
    Instead, it's going to go down as the single most humiliating day in Brazil's football history.
    This is beyond worst case scenario.

Ohh Brazil, wasting your chances so you can dive with zero contact. Rodriguez apparently doesnt have balls to card them or just having a laugh every time they go down.

IHF Member
    Ohh Brazil, wasting your chances so you can dive with zero contact. Rodriguez apparently doesnt have balls to card them or just having a laugh every time they go down.
    Pitiful, pitiful display by a once proud football nation.
    7-1 final, tying a 6-0 loss to Uruguay way back in 1920 for Brazil's heaviest defeat ever.
    It should have been 7-0 final but the Germans got lazy and careless in the final moments.
    They allowed Oscar to score a meaningless goal that served only to spoil Neuer's clean sheet which pissed him off to no end.
    The atmosphere for that bronze medal game Saturday in Brasilia should be something akin to a wake.

Pitiful, pitiful display by a once proud football nation.
    The atmosphere for that bronze medal game Saturday in Brasilia should be something akin to a wake.
    It wont be, Argentina will join them there, that will put all the emotion back into the game.

Thank you germany!!!

IHF Member
    It wont be, Argentina will join them there, that will put all the emotion back into the game.
    I wouldn't be so sure Argentina will be there.
    Unlike Brazil, they'll have their superstar in Messi and unlike Brazil it'll be a competitive match against the Dutch.
    The Netherlands undoubtedly are as talented and deep as any side here but they were almost bested by Costa Rica.
    The Argentines OTOH played a patient game against a very good Belgian team and won a clear victory.
    I don't know who'll win Wednesday but it can't possibly be anything like what we saw today.

Regardless of whomever Brazil faces Saturday, it is almost immaterial.
    The tournament for them was destroyed Tuesday and the stench from that loss will still be in the air when they next play.

IHF Member
    Argentina 0 Netherlands 0 (Argentina 4-3 on penalties)

A cautious, conservative game with neither side able to break through.
    Messi and Robben were their respective teams best players and both made their PKs.
    A relatively clean game with just 25 total penalties in 120 minutes.
    The penalty shoot out once again proved the Dutch nemesis.
    Argentina and Germany meet for the second time in the final, the first since 1986.

IHF Member
    A minor correction, Germany defeated Argentina 1:0 (from penalty shot in the closing minutes of the regular time) in WC finals in Italy in 1990.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    A minor correction, Germany defeated Argentina 1:0 (from penalty shot in the closing minutes of the regular time) in WC finals in Italy in 1990.
    Actually that's a major mistake on my part....my bad.
    How could I have forgotten that?
    It was Germany's last title and Argentina's last final appearance until now.
    And of course, it was 4-2 on penalties...the Dutch are as luckless on PKs as the English.

IHF Member
    Brazil 0 Netherlands 3

The home country's humiliation is complete.
    The only way to pour more salt in the gaping wound is if Argentina wins Sunday.

Congratulations to Germany!!! One of the best tournaments I can remember, some very nice surprises and some heart break. Finally a European country is able to break through on the other side of the Atlantic, perhaps a new trend for years to come. Next we need somebody outside of UEFA or CONMEBOL, would still be so cool to watch somebody from the CAF win, hopefully in my life time.

As well, can not forget WHawks, congrats to you my friend for winning our tournament!

See everybody in France in 2016 for anybody who is going, or in 2018.

Congrats to Germans for a deserved 4th title. Final was entertaining game played on razor's edge in spite of 0:0 score. Götze's goal is a marvel.

I enjoyed every moment of this WC. The atmosphere in Ibiza's bar with French, Germans, Argentinian,Dutch
    crowds (to name the biggest) was absolute top and fair to the end. Spanish people could
    not join in this time.

Level of teams is very narrow but UEFA team will probably dominate more and more.
    Asian team could probably not qualify in UEFA groups stages taking in account that teams like
    Ukraine, Denmark,Poland,Sweden,Turkey,Czech,Serbia did not make it. Not speaking of
    Scotland,Austria,Romania. Norway,,Slovakia.

We are still waiting for a breakthrough of African teams.

Messi was not the best player. Colombia's James(six goals) was imho.

Brasil 2014 was a success but Brazilian football was a disappointment. Consequence: Scolari already went.

The ten best goals according to Watson.ch
    http://www.watson.ch/Front/articles/...en-gefallen%3F

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information