Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup thread

IHF Member
    Germany 4 Portugal 0

Their Iberian neighbours Spain had a horrible opening match against the Dutch and now the Portuguese have turned in an equally wretched performance against Germany.

Disappointed in Nigeria, outside of their early flurry, they showed little to nothing up front and couldnt break down Iran. I was hoping they would be able to atleast challenge Bosnia and Herzegovina but doesnt look like that will happen. Iran going forward looks like they could cause some trouble, they are very sound on the backend even if they have next to nothing going forward, could prove dangerous on the counter.

The US exorcised their demons and beats Ghana!
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

We live in a interconnected world as we well know football does not escape it.
    Very well done visual graphic of ancestral(parents, grand-parents) and international(born abroad and dual citizenship) connections betweens teams.
    Swiss is the most connected, Spain the least. Ecuador,Honduras,South Korea have not connections.
    Amazing quantities of French born players in Algerian team.

You can point on any participating country to visualize the direct connections and the details of players.

http://codehesive.com/wc-ancestry/

Finally we make it to Group H, besides the French, this is what I have been very excited to see, really want to see a strong Belgian performance and then, I would be more than happy to see either Russia or Algeria go through.

Slight interest to see which version of Mexico shows up.

Yes, Swiss team is the most affected and it will "tear" the team up when Kosovo gets full UEFA membership and when Mehmedi, Xhaka, Džemaili, Behrami and Shaqiri went to play for them since it's country of their origin. I believe that all of them already decided to leave Swiss team when they'll be able to represent Kosovo.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

Quote Originally Posted by Pršljen View Post
    Yes, Swiss team is the most affected and it will "tear" the team up when Kosovo gets full UEFA membership and when Mehmedi, Xhaka, Džemaili, Behrami and Shaqiri went to play for them since it's country of their origin. I believe that all of them already decided to leave Swiss team when they'll be able to represent Kosovo.

Its very possible although not sure. Anyway our football pipeline is deep enough and new generations have excellent results. I personally have nothing against Kosovo reaping fruits of Swiss football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Its very possible although not sure. Anyway our football pipeline is deep enough and new generations have excellent results. I personally have nothing against Kosovo reaping fruits of Swiss football program.
    Yes but it's very rough for Switzerland to create player through national program and then lose him for NT because he decides to play for country of his origin. Croatia took Petrić and Rakitić (just transfered to Barcelona) from Switzerland. Drmić also expressed his will to play for Croatia but our federation didn't want him so he had to choose Switzerland instead. People in this part of Europe are very talented for football so it's not strange that many Swiss NT players are from Croatian, Bosnian, Albanian etc. origin. If their federations will be wise enough they'll easily persuade all Swiss players of that country's origin to play for their NT.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

Like I said the pipeline is deep enough. You cannot hinder people to choose to play for their countries of origin.
    Kosovo is a special case and with all respect even with the mentioned players their chance to be at a WC are poor. The mentioned players know it.

Players tend to choose the countries according to their best possibility of playing.
    Hajrovic choose Bosnia Herz. because his possibilities with Switzerland were poor. Bunjaku is already playing with Kosovo for the same reason.
    Of course would be nice to have Rakitic but he choose Croatia. Good on him.

You are an idiot Vertonghen

Three points are three points but that was a rather lackluster start for Belgium and of course Vertonghen stupid penalty. The subs were just fantastic, nice little surprise to see Origi come in to replace Lukaku. Fellaini should most certainly start against Russia, Mertens as well with a good run and finish. I hope getting this match out of the way relaxes the Belgians.

M'Bolhi played very well I thought and Algeria defence looks very hard to break down. The one thing I hated about them was I thought they sat back way too much, I understand you dont want Belgium to counter like the Mertens goal, but they need to find a better balance.

Like I said the pipeline is deep enough. You cannot hinder people to choose to play for their countries of origin.
    Kosovo is a special case and with all respect even with the mentioned players their chance to be at a WC are poor. The mentioned players know it.

Players tend to choose the countries according to their best possibility of playing.
    Hajrovic choose Bosnia Herz. because his possibilities with Switzerland were poor. Bunjaku is already playing with Kosovo for the same reason.
    Of course would be nice to have Rakitic but he choose Croatia. Good on him.
    Doesn't matter how much it is deep when you lose five more or less regulars. Brazil would felt it not to say Switzerland. And it's certainly not true that players tend to choose the countries according to their best possibility of playing. When Petrić and Rakitić chose Croatia they had no guaranteed place in the lineup cause there was big crowd in middfield and attack. They chose it because of pride same as Swiss Kosovars chose Kosovo instead of Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    The one thing I hated about them was I thought they sat back way too much, I understand you dont want Belgium to counter like the Mertens goal, but they need to find a better balance.
    That's the only way of playing when you are inferior to the opponent in terms of skill and creativity like Algeria is to Belgium. The only thing that matters is the result and the impression is just BS that bothers fans, in reality it really doesn't matter how you played, only thing that matters is result. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pršljen View Post
    Doesn't matter how much it is deep when you lose five more or less regulars. Brazil would felt it not to say Switzerland. And it's certainly not true that players tend to choose the countries according to their best possibility of playing. When Petrić and Rakitić chose Croatia they had no guaranteed place in the lineup cause there was big crowd in middfield and attack. They chose it because of pride same as Swiss Kosovars chose Kosovo instead of Switzerland.
    Look Prsljen I can see where you want to bring the debate. I just do not give a heck about your nationalistic consideration and I will not follow you in the argument. Think what ever you want.

Look Prsljen I can see where you want to bring the debate. I just do not give a heck about your nationalistic consideration and I will not follow you in the argument. Think what ever you want.
    OMG, are you kidding me!? How the heck you came with this nonsense?

You yourself said that Shaqiri and others know they have less chance to go n WC with Kosovo but they stilld ecided to join their NT. Why then if not for national pride? I told you why they chose Croatia and Kosovo instead of Switzerland and it's definitely true but you can think whatever you want.

The US had the reverse case occur when Giuseppe Rossi elected to play for Italy. Granted, he was born to Italian parents, but he could have been a starter for the US, instead of a fringe player for Italy.

Its situations just like that on Marcelo that I wish more officials would start carding diving. I still give credit for not falling for his bullshit, but give him a yellow for it.

And seriously, all hail Ochoa!

IHF Member
    Its situations just like that on Marcelo that I wish more officials would start carding diving. I still give credit for not falling for his bullshit, but give him a yellow for it.

And seriously, all hail Ochoa!
    I agree habitual divers are never truly punished and sometimes these bastards get rewarded (hear that, Freddie?)

Ochoa was insane.
    The first half save he made was compared by the commentators to the famous save Gordon Banks made on Pele in 1970.

This result makes big pressure on Croatian team that MUST beat Cameroon tomorrow if they want to have a serious chance for first two places. If they get only one point then they must beat Mexico by two goal margin which is, looking at them today, pretty hard to expect. This results also shows how weak Brazil really is and how unfair it is that Croatia lost because of ridiculous Japanese referee. Still hard to get over it although five days passed since then.

You could see that coming all along, great job Akinfeev...

Edit: Wooo Kerzhakov!!!!

What a strike by Cahill and a super cross, awesome response from Australia.

IHF Member
    What a strike by Cahill and a super cross, awesome response from Australia.
    This is the premiere football tournament in the world...actually, the premiere sporting event outside of the Olympics.
    But the officiating?
    God, it is local amateur class at best...definitely not on par with the football played.
    In the 60th minute, Australia's #3 Jason Davidson clearly had the ball go off his foot/ankle into touch whilst challenging #11 Arjen Robben but incredibly, the linesman ruled Australian ball, much to the chagrin of an incredulous Robben.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    This is the premiere football tournament in the world...actually, the premiere sporting event outside of the Olympics.
    But the officiating?
    God, it is local amateur class at best...definitely not on par with the football played.
    In the 60th minute, Australia's #3 Jason Davidson clearly had the ball go off his foot/ankle into touch whilst challenging #11 Arjen Robben but incredibly, the linesman ruled Australian ball, much to the chagrin of an incredulous Robben.
    Another questionable call involving Davidson and Robben in the 75th minute.
    Robben was in front of Davidson on a long ball sent in but Davidson nudged Robben and he fell.
    The two were tangled up momentarily and when both got to their feet, Australia was again awarded the ball, further exasperating Robben.

IHF Member
    The Australians gave the Dutch all they could handle, unlike the Spaniards, who surrendered rather meekly to the Netherlands.

So long Spain!

IHF Member
    So long Spain!
    Oh well...better to be a has been than a never was, right?
    Still, it was stunning to see Spain fall off the cliff like that...they were the #1 team in the world coming in.
    Interesting to see how Spain will play in its final meaningless game against Australia.
    The Aussies I would think will be in a pretty good frame of mind compared to Spain going into that one.
    A rank outsider at #62 in FIFA rankings, Australia can really make their tournament if they can get a result against Spain.
    The Spanish, OTOH, simply want to leave Brazil on something of a positive note.
    A loss to Australia would send them home 0-3 and with tails tucked between their legs.
    Apparently it is already the worst performance by a Cup holder in history.

Haha I guess that is a way to look at it Heatleysucks, but yeah, I suppose it is. I agree with you, the Aussies in their two matches deserve to walk away from this tournament with something, they have surely played like they deserve more than they have gotten, its just sad that it will have to be without Cahill.

Cameroon had a man sent off with a straight red in the first half, and I'm sure Prsljen and his fellow Croats are pleased that Croatia made them pay in a 4-0 win

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Cameroon had a man sent off with a straight red in the first half, and I'm sure Prsljen and his fellow Croats are pleased that Croatia made them pay in a 4-0 win
    Oh yes, it's incredible how the whole nation lives with this team - people are celebrating this victory on the streets just few days after everyone was in agony after undeserved loss against Brazil. It must be said that Cameroon was awful today, without any discipline and quality. Worst team on WC so far and it was great opponent for Croatia to gain confidence for crucial match against Mexico. We must win if we want to get place in final 16.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    The game between Mexico and Croatia will be a fight for survival with Mexico holding an advantage with the extra point.
    Brazil should put on a show for the home crowd at hapless Cameroon's expense.

IHF Member
    There will ALWAYS be an England!.....except for the knockout stage.

There will ALWAYS be an England!.....except for the knockout stage.
    Whoa....its not over, till its over! ;)

Now there goes England.

Congrats to Costa Rica, never had them coming close to advancing from this Group.

IHF Member
    It IS over...Costa Rica 1 Italy 0

In the 86th minute...#5 Borges delivers a pass towards the sideline to #14 Brenes.
    The ball is clearly out of touch by the time Brenes plays it but play carries on.
    Not to worry...later on Brenes attempts to pass but the ball is blocked by #7 Abate...with his hand.
    It eventually gets knocked into touch...Italian ball.
    No harm. no foul.
    Good job, Mr. Linesman.

Three points are three points but that was a rather lackluster start for Belgium and of course Vertonghen stupid penalty. The subs were just fantastic, nice little surprise to see Origi come in to replace Lukaku. Fellaini should most certainly start against Russia, Mertens as well with a good run and finish. I hope getting this match out of the way relaxes the Belgians.

M'Bolhi played very well I thought and Algeria defence looks very hard to break down. The one thing I hated about them was I thought they sat back way too much, I understand you dont want Belgium to counter like the Mertens goal, but they need to find a better balance.
    It wasnt a typical algeria performance, we're generally very attacking, the coach clearly decided to park the bus against belgium. Against korea on sunday expect a more attacking feghouli and brahimi with 2 strikers up top.

Wooo Giroud!!! What a header from him and 1-0 to the good.

OHHHHHHH MATUIDI!!!!!!! Not wasteful with that chance

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    It wasnt a typical algeria performance, we're generally very attacking, the coach clearly decided to park the bus against belgium. Against korea on sunday expect a more attacking feghouli and brahimi with 2 strikers up top.
    That is great to hear, I thought you guys played a very good match, just too much sitting back. Hope to see them advance.

Add another and its 3-0 thanks to Valbuena!!!

Finally Benz gets on the board, could of had two now if he didnt screw up from the spot. Add another and sitting very pretty, almost through to the knockout stage.

Bravo France

Another wonderful match from the French and as I said, its another step closer to the knockout stage. Could go through tonight but that means cheering for Honduras and Im not doing that. Benz has been playing fantastic and he very well could have more goals it not for missing a couple of chances and the official just deciding to blow the final whistle before he shoots. This Swiss team......wow, I was expecting more from them but I will gladly accept them taking a beating, though I feel sad for my friend Ibizajp.

I will say though, cant keep letting off the gas, it was understandable against Honduras, simply a matter of walking away without injuries, but should of kept going at the Swiss. Not too worried about it, they havent conceded when it was most important, just need to be careful.

congrats to France they were much better. Everything since Von Bergen's hospital sending after 7 minutes worked for them. A real candidate for final 4 spots imo.
    Swiss were nowhere tonight but they are not out yet. A win vs Honduras keeps them in. Benaglio was very disappointing. I want to see Sommer next game.

I think the crucial moments of the game was mastered by France. The 3:0 after Shaquiri missed the 2:1 was the real turning point. Then Senderos was very Senderos and voilâ. C'était terminé. Fantastic World cup show with many goals and emotion.

IHF Member
    Bravo France

Another wonderful match from the French and as I said, its another step closer to the knockout stage. Could go through tonight but that means cheering for Honduras and Im not doing that. Benz has been playing fantastic and he very well could have more goals it not for missing a couple of chances and the official just deciding to blow the final whistle before he shoots. This Swiss team......wow, I was expecting more from them but I will gladly accept them taking a beating, though I feel sad for my friend Ibizajp.

I will say though, cant keep letting off the gas, it was understandable against Honduras, simply a matter of walking away without injuries, but should of kept going at the Swiss. Not too worried about it, they havent conceded when it was most important, just need to be careful.
    Well, it's hard to bear down up 5-0...perfectly understandable there was a little bit of a let up.
    It's easy to forget how horrible France was in South Africa, losing to the hosts and going out with one goal in three games.
    Just goes to show how things can change four years on...as Spain and maybe Uruguay can attest.

It's easy to forget how horrible France was in South Africa, losing to the hosts and going out with one goal in three games.
    Just goes to show how things can change four years on...as Spain and maybe Uruguay can attest.
    The South African team had big internal problems and it finished like it finished. Big clean up, new coach, new players etc....
    Listening to French BEING TV commentaries by Benzema. It looks that they really are a TEAM this year. Players accepting the bench, team spirit, connection to coach etc...players getting involved with National spirit: Like singing when National anthem is played etc.. Signs that are indicators of the internal atmosphere. My favorite right now with Germans. I want Europeans to win it. would be crazy in the land of football.

France and Netherlands looking good so far. Great performances by Costa Rica aswell.

Great world cup, loving it.

I feel bad for Iran, they played a fantastic underdog match, so sound defensively, Haghighi made some great saves and they got some very good chances on the counter.

Wow that was an entertaining match and those saves by Enyeama at the end! Bosnia and Herzegovina have a right to feel ripped off a little, Džeko was on-side and should of never been called off. Then its just a matter of opinion about Emenike, I personally dont believe a foul should of been called, but I will understand if some do.

Speaking of Emenike, he had an amazing match, caused all kinds of problems.

Please start Origi in the next match, he has done more and have looked more impressive in his limited time than Lukaku.

We all like to debate on here about the situation regarding nationalised players in Ice Hockey. We should all take a look at the Swiss soccer team. That is shocking!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    We all like to debate on here about the situation regarding nationalised players in Ice Hockey. We should all take a look at the Swiss soccer team. That is shocking!

What is shocking Gareth.?Tell me about it . What is the difference with other countries, Like France, Belgium, Algeria.Australia, USA. Do you know anything about emigration into Switzerland, Structure of population etc...
    Compare with nationalized players in icehockey? Ridiculous.

All our players are or Swiss born or raised in Switzerland and fruits of our football program. (academy, clubs etc,,.). Not one is a nationalized on purpose. I am curious to read your arguments.

Now that was a great showing from Algeria, if they played more like that against Belgium probably would of walked away with points, need to do the same against the Russians. Also the first African nation to score four in a match.

As for Korea, need to fix that defence and quickly otherwise, they might be able to help the Belgians find some great confidence when attacking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information