Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup thread

According to BEINGTV. The first win in a World Cup since 32 years(1986 vs Chili) for the Algerian. congrats to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    According to BEINGTV. The first win in a World Cup since 32 years(1986 vs Chili) for the Algerian. congrats to them.
    They might be a bit wrong though. I calculate 32 years and 1982. They also beat West Germany 2:1 but were eliminated in group stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    We all like to debate on here about the situation regarding nationalised players in Ice Hockey. We should all take a look at the Swiss soccer team. That is shocking!
    if you wanted to state a shocking example of nationalization you have to go look at a not much connected team(Spain) but were money makes miracles. you could have brought this one:

DIEGO COSTA, NATIONALIZED in September 2013 born in BRAZIL, early career in street football Brasil and then in Portugal(Braga). Started playing in Spain with 20 (Albacete on loan from Atletico).
    Called by Scolari, Brazilian coach,in March 2013 for a friendly in Geneva vs Italy. Played for Fred in second half..

I quote Wikipedia for an episode making news in Spain:

In September 2013,(after he was already on course with Atletico Madrid) the Royal Spanish Football Federation made an official request to FIFA for permission to call up Costa for the Spanish national team.[42] He had been granted Spanish nationality earlier in the summer.[43]

On 29th October 2013, Costa declared that he wished to play international football for Spain, sending a letter to the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF).[44] Following the news, Scolari commented: "A Brazilian player who refuses to wear the shirt of the Brazilian national team and compete in a World Cup in your country is automatically withdrawn. He is turning his back on a dream of millions, to represent our national team, the five-time champions in a World Cup in Brazil."[45]
    Never went through Spanish junior system.

Other example. Portuguese nationalized PEPE(Real Madrid). Born in Brazil came to Portugal with 18 in 2001 and was nationalized in 2007. Never went through Portuguese junior system.

Find one player on the Swiss squad who has only remotely similar story and I pay you a beer :)

On the contrary some of our players have chosen other federations to play internationally although they were born in Switzerland and went through junior NT until U21. See Rakitic and Petric to cite only two.
    Maybe you are shocked by the names not sounding like Müller, Graf or Dubois or whatever. Does KHAN sound English ???

Nice equalizing of the US team.

US 2:1 and ten minutes to play.

Ghana should be able to exploit the Portuguese, coming out of that match with limited rest and the speed that Ghana has. However...it will be interesting to see the style the Germans and Americans play, my guess is they "agree" to not do anything for 90 minutes.

Even though we got the one point, that was a kick to the nuts when Portugal scored. Absolute heartbreaker for the US.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Even though we got the one point, that was a kick to the nuts when Portugal scored. Absolute heartbreaker for the US.
    Well, it's frustrating to lose 2 points when Portugal scored at the death, for sure.
    A win would have meant all that was needed to win the group was a tie against Germany.
    Still, the US is well positioned to advance and can still win the group although they'll have to beat Germany to do that.
    A US win over Portugal would have also eliminated both Ghana and Portugal but both still have a slim chance to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Well, it's frustrating to lose 2 points when Portugal scored at the death, for sure.
    A win would have meant all that was needed to win the group was a tie against Germany.
    Still, the US is well positioned to advance and can still win the group although they'll have to beat Germany to do that.
    A US win over Portugal would have also eliminated both Ghana and Portugal but both still have a slim chance to advance.
    I like to think that the US can beat or tie Germany (hoping Klinsmann can pull strings to get both sides to park the bus). Portugal looks very vulnerable, and Ghana's speed may be the decisive factor. At any rate, I'm proud of the fight the US has put up so far.

Ghana would of still been able to advance, they would of needed to beat Portugal (likely) and then have the Americans defeat the Germans all the while erasing the goal difference (not likely.)

IHF Member
    I like to think that the US can beat or tie Germany
    That all depends which Germany shows up.
    If it is the team that dissected Portugal 4-0, probably not.
    If it's the uncharacteristically sloppy team that scrambled to tie Ghana, possibly.

That all depends which Germany shows up.
    If it is the team that dissected Portugal 4-0, probably not.
    If it's the uncharacteristically sloppy team that scrambled to tie Ghana, possibly.
    Given this absolutely unpredictable World Cup, it may be something in the middle. Either way, this is going to be one very interesting finish for the group.

Watching Chile drop at the slightest touch inside the box is hilarious, I know they are trying to do it because they need the 3pts to avoid playing what is likely to be Brazil. However, again, Gassama is doing a great job not falling for it and again, if you start pulling out yellow cards on them, they would stop doing it unless they were really impeded.

A fun fact, its the first time since 1996 that the Dutch dont have a "van ...." in the starting eleven. The more you know!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Watching Chile drop at the slightest touch inside the box is hilarious, I know they are trying to do it because they need the 3pts to avoid playing what is likely to be Brazil. However, again, Gassama is doing a great job not falling for it and again, if you start pulling out yellow cards on them, they would stop doing it unless they were really impeded.
    The Croatians are probably wishing Mr. Gassama was assigned to their game with Brazil.
    He most likely wouldn't have fallen for that pathetic dive by Fred.

Spain defeats Australia 3-0 to leave the tournament with some consolation.
    The defending champion finally looked more like their usual selves today, looking a little more relaxed and settled knowing their run was over.
    Australia, though, looked surprisingly flat and uninspired, easily their worst game out of their three group matches.

Still hyped over algerias win last night, hope we play like that against russia

Chile had to win vs Holland if they wanted to avoid the Winner of groupe A. (presumably
    Brazil).
    Holland played tactically clever and waited with little ball possession but dangerous counters.
    Against Spain Chile was in that situation and it came out perfect. Today when they had to make
    the game they showed some limits. The result was a pretty boring game.
    Holland finally won a WC game against South American opposition on their continent.

Mexico- Croatia is going to be hot.

Mexico- Croatia is going to be hot.
    And El Tri (Mexico) are the 3-1 winners

And El Tri (Mexico) are the 3-1 winners
    Its amazing, if not for the Americans, Mexico wouldnt even be here.

Its amazing, if not for the Americans, Mexico wouldnt even be here.
    Funny how that worked out, right? Still, it's been a very solid showing for CONCACAF

Well, Luis Suarez bit someone in Uruguay's 1-0 victory over Italy. Looks like for the second World Cup in a row, he'll be missing in the knockout stages.

Well, Luis Suarez bit someone in Uruguay's 1-0 victory over Italy. Looks like for the second World Cup in a row, he'll be missing in the knockout stages.
    As he should and then more some back in league play. The guy needs professional help, you would think somebody who is 27 has learned not to bite people.

Question to Suarez: Who tastes better? Ivanovic or Chiellini?

Seriously the guy should play with a muzzle.

Without wanting to justfy what Surez did I must say that Chiellini is far from being a victim here. He is very well known for his conflict behaviour, he just got suspended 3 games in Serie A for elbowing Miralem Pjanić from Roma. He did something similar to Suarez moments before he bit him so I really have no understanding for his behaviour, just like I don't have it for Suarez.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pršljen View Post
    Without wanting to justfy what Surez did I must say that Chiellini is far from being a victim here. He is very well known for his conflict behaviour, he just got suspended 3 games in Serie A for elbowing Miralem Pjanić from Roma. He did something similar to Suarez moments before he bit him so I really have no understanding for his behaviour, just like I don't have it for Suarez.
    Does anyone else think the red card Claudio Marchisio got was pretty harsh?
    I thought it warranted a caution, sure, but a sending off?
    No way.
    I know he brought his boot down on the Uruguay player's leg but it didn't seem that severe or even intentional.
    Suarez, OTOH, should have been sent off.
    If both teams were down to 10, it might have been a different outcome.

That was a fair call IMO, it was brutal foul and totally deserved sent off. He could off easily break his leg, it happened before. That's considered as a dangerous play and should always be awarded as a red card, no doubt about it.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

Italy played again his 0:0 minimalist football and was punished. What came out well for Holland did not work out for them because Uruguay is not Chile.

I hope Suarez is sanctioned retro actively. This would have been his last game in Brazil. A rumor I wish to be true.
    I read that it is actually his third attack. He also bit ottman Bakkal(PSV) when he was playing
    with Ajax in November 2010

Faryd Mondragon(Colombia). The GK(43) sets World Cup record, as older player ever when he entered for a few minutes against Japan.

I was impressed by Colombia I thought they played a very complete game. Greece in 1/8 finals.

Italy played again his 0:0 minimalist football and was punished
    Yeah, Italy's lack of attack came back to haunt them big time

Xherdan Shaqiri's hat trick coupled with France's nil-nil draw with Ecuador means the Swiss and France advance. However Switzerland plays Argentina and France plays Nigeria in the Round of 16.

Suárez has been suspended for 9 matches and banned from all football related activity for 4 months, as well, will be fined 100,000 Swiss francs. The nine match ban will start this weekend when Uruguay take on Colombia in the Round of 16 and will be added in this tournament should Uruguay keep advancing or will be saved for the next time Uruguay plays in a World Cup.

The four month ban will carry over into club play, meaning Liverpool will be missing him for the first three months of the season, 12 matches in total, three of which are Champions League fixtures. Suárez is still able to be transferred if Liverpool wish so.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=...m-2386354.html

Depending on how high up the representative was, Uruguay is considering not playing in the Round of 16 because of this.

You sure about the transfer thing? Here it's said he isn't allow to enter negotiations with another team within those 4 months either, citing it's a football related activity.

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    You sure about the transfer thing? Here it's said he isn't allow to enter negotiations with another team within those 4 months either, citing it's a football related activity.
    Im trusting Oliver Kay has the correct information when he tweeted that he can transfer.

https://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/s...67711536275456

Ghana has been their own worst enemy.

Really disappointed in Ghana, expected them to make it out of the Group and they end up in last. Felt bad for Boye to score on his own team but Dauda going from making great saves and keeping them in it to being the biggest idiot. I may of never trained as a goalkeeper in football, but even I know you catch the damn ball or push it over the crossbar, who the **** pushes it back into the six yard box?

The decision making upfront, all me, me, me, me attitude, screwing up counters by taking shots from 30 yards out when all you have to do is push it out wide. They were a mess going into this match, with money and the suspensions but they should of preformed better.

Its all up to you Algeria, my last remaining African hope. (yes I know Nigeria but they are playing France and Im not going to cheer against them)

Im trusting Oliver Kay has the correct information when he tweeted that he can transfer.

https://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/s...67711536275456
    Shame I wanted it to be true, so it would be extra punishment he has to be abused by british media for another half season at least :P

No Origi or Lukaku starting tonight but putting Mirallas up front.....Januzaj starting so theres something. Guess I will fully focus on the Algeria-Russia match.

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Shame I wanted it to be true, so it would be extra punishment he has to be abused by british media for another half season at least :P
    Hahaha as good a reason as any. :D

Thanks to Christiano Ronaldo, the US advances along with Germany!

Bravo Algeria!!

So its 32 years later and they now get the chance to exact revenge on the Germans for what they did to them. I really hope they do, would be an amazing story.

For Russia.....Capello needs to go, do not bring him back for your home tournament, I hated his tactics and decision making all tournament long.

And Korea, cant even beat a 10 man Belgium who showed nothing at all with not a care in the world.

For Russia.....Capello needs to go, do not bring him back for your home tournament, I hated his tactics and decision making all tournament long.

And Korea, cant even beat a 10 man Belgium who showed nothing at all with not a care in the world.
    In fairness, Igor Akinfeev didn't really do the best job in goal. As for Korea, they were one of, if not the weakest, teams in the tournament.

IHF Member
    As for Korea, they were one of, if not the weakest, teams in the tournament.
    I think Cameroon and Honduras were far worse.
    Both of those teams were winless, pointless and were 1-2 as far as worst goal differential was concerned.
    But I say Honduras were the absolute worst because not only do they play lousy football, they're a bunch of dirty, rotten scoundrels.

The celebrations went on all night long, wow.

Like in ice hockey, the football Nati will loose its coach after World Cup. Ottmar Hitfzeld(65)
    announced already before WC that he will not renew and want to retire from professional
    coaching.
    Vladimir Petkovic,50, last club Lazio Rome, will succeed him. The Bosnian,Croat and Swiss
    passport holder spent 27 years in Switzerland as player, manager, coach.

The qualifying for 1/8 final is great achievement for Switzerland,its the 6th time in history.
    It was the aim and has been reached. A nice present from the players to their long time coach.

The cold shower the France game poured over the team and the fans was forgotten the other night
    when Honduras was clearly beaten thanks to a great Drmic/Shakiri performance. Except our
    centrals(more specially Djourou, who joined Arsenal junior when 16), the whole team was solid.

The honor to play Argentina, who will have all the pressure and where we are clear underdog,
    is what some players wanted before starting the cup.

Somehow feel that the game is going to be very very close. So I hope.

IHF Member
    How unlucky for Chile

IHF Member
    Brazil 1 Chile 1 (3-2 Brazil on penalty)

A win on kicks for Brazil but hardly a confident one.
    They were shaky at times during regulation play (the tying goal was an absolute gaffe) but in the end survive (barely) to make the quarters.
    It isn't often a team misses two penalties and still wins but that was the case today.
    However, if Brazil were to play a steel nerved side like Germany. their performance today wouldn't nearly be enough.

Brazil 1 Chile 1 (3-2 Brazil on penalty)

A win on kicks for Brazil but hardly a confident one.
    They were shaky at times during regulation play (the tying goal was an absolute gaffe) but in the end survive (barely) to make the quarters.
    It isn't often a team misses two penalties and still wins but that was the case today.
    However, if Brazil were to play a steel nerved side like Germany. their performance today wouldn't nearly be enough.
    Don't forget that Chile hit the post in the last minute of extra time. Brazil has been very unspectacular so far, and mercifully for them, nobody's quite punished them for that.

The Dutch came back to win 2-1 over Mexico

Blatant dive in my opinion by Robben, but I suppose in the end the Mexicans were punished falling back too deep towards the end of the game.

Watching Greece with the advantage is hilarious, it all becomes very clear why they play so defensive. They have absolutely zero creativity and their ability to cross the ball or find the open man is terrible, cant believe how many times they have had people wide open inside the box it somehow it manages to find the only three Costa Ricans in the area.

Watching Greece with the advantage is hilarious, it all becomes very clear why they play so defensive. They have absolutely zero creativity and their ability to cross the ball or find the open man is terrible, cant believe how many times they have had people wide open inside the box it somehow it manages to find the only three Costa Ricans in the area.
    The fact that they couldn't take advantage of Costa Rica being down a man is highly indicative of their play. They shouldn't even have gone to PK's in the first place-they should have won in extra time.

One of Benezma or Giroud needs to come off, having Benezma on the left is not working and its showing in his lack of any kind of play. Bring on Griezmann and either let him feed it to Giroud or remove Giroud and move Benezma over.

Edit: Hahaha Thank you Deschamps

POGBA!!!!!

Finally Nigeria is broken and Enyeama is beaten

OHHH GRIEZMANN!!!!

Edit: Haha nevermind, Griezmann did nothing to score that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information