Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 251 to 286 of 286

Thread: 2015 IIHF WC - Prague/Ostrava

  1. #251
    IHF Member WHawks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ĺrhus, Denmark
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Interesting. In contrast to this info in an 2013 article of the German newspaper WAZ, then DEB secretary general Reindl is quoted "no Kölnarena (the venu for the 2017 IHWC in Germany) without team Germany". According to Reindl DEB has a contractual agreement with FFHG that Germany can excise the non-relegation rule for hosting countries at the expense of France and therefore IHWC 2017 can't happen without Germany (but without France).

    Furthermore, the article says that France can excise its right to not be relegated if Germany doesn't need to (which is guaranteed as they are in the same group). If that's true the logical consequence is that neither of them can be relegated in 2017...apparently they changed this.

    http://www.derwesten.de/sport/eishoc...id8002739.html
    This is what Danish journalists has been told as well asking the IIHF. Germany CANNOT relegate, France however can. But honestly I can't see Hungary finishing ahead of either of them in the standings anyway.

  2. #252
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    BTW...I HATE that IIHF rule where a player has to leave the ice if he loses his helmet....even if the play is in his defensive zone.
    What in hell was Krug supposed to do?
    Back off and leave the ice when his check has the puck right next to Hellebucyk?
    Stupid dumbass rule.
    When a goalie gets his mask knocked off the play is blown dead...why should the rule be any different for skaters?
    That's a minor hockey rule IMO and doesn't belong in elite level hockey.
    NHL players (and Europeans at one time) used to play their entire careers without a lid.
    The rule should be amended to allow a player to retrieve his helmet if he can and/or continue to play as long as the puck is in his defensive zone and then leave the ice once play leaves the zone.
    The rule as it stands is seriously flawed.
    IIHF Rule 34: Helmets

    iii. Skaters must wear their helmet so that the lower edge of the brim is not more than one finger-width above the eyebrows. Additionally, there should be only enough room between the chin strap and the chin to insert one finger
    If the strap is tight enough, the helmet's not coming off. Enough said.

  3. #253
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Wow 4-0 after 2 periods and frankly have never seen such dominance by a Canadian team over a Russian one. More skill, more speed, better puck management, you name it. Plus the Russians are taking some dumb penalties
    I'm going to say i've seen it twice: the two previous Sid-Ovi matchups in 2005 and 2010.

    I was telling a buddy of mine about that the morning of the game: "just remember that and Ovi team can't beat a Sid team.".... Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

    Canada's depth was tremendous, and the funniest part of it was that it really does prove the "Canada could send two teams to medal at the Olympics" argument, because this team was THAT strong here. And there were only a few players who were in Sochi. Remove Duchesne, Crosby and Smith (or keep him since he was only the 3rd goalie at the OG), add Stamkos, pick up a few extra guys who are still in the NHL playoffs and ...wow!

  4. #254
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    :-)

    No. Enough to finish better than any of the other seven national eams, including Germany and France.

    Anyway, let's go step by step. First we need to be an elevator nation...
    You had yourselves a nice little elevator ride in 2008-2009, no? :)

    One game is all it could take.

  5. #255
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    2,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    You had yourselves a nice little elevator ride in 2008-2009, no? :)

    One game is all it could take.
    One ride is not enough... :-P

  6. #256
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    I'm going to say i've seen it twice: the two previous Sid-Ovi matchups in 2005 and 2010.

    I was telling a buddy of mine about that the morning of the game: "just remember that and Ovi team can't beat a Sid team.".... Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

    Canada's depth was tremendous, and the funniest part of it was that it really does prove the "Canada could send two teams to medal at the Olympics" argument, because this team was THAT strong here. And there were only a few players who were in Sochi. Remove Duchesne, Crosby and Smith (or keep him since he was only the 3rd goalie at the OG), add Stamkos, pick up a few extra guys who are still in the NHL playoffs and ...wow!
    Then again, hockey games are luckily played on the ice and not on paper and putting the best players on paper together doesn't necessarily make you the top team.

    The Canadian team this year had the paper quality, but they also had the team. There's no guarantee that a different bunch of players would have it too.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  7. #257
    IHF Member Ref72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    945
    I saw some reports that the Russian team employed a "stare down" on the Canadian team during the warmups prior to the gold medal game. did anyone else hear of this? Apparently, the Canadian team did not participate and used it as motivation when they got back to the dressing room. Seems that Russian strategy backfired :)

  8. #258
    IHF Member CZMajkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech_Republic
    Posts
    109
    Mmm... "Interesting" informations about relegations.

    Weird. I think that co-host country should play at IHWC in any case. But it`s decision of IIHF...

    But it`s important to say again that two "overall bottom ranked teams" relegate. And position in the group is decisive criterion. There is no problem with two relegated teams from the other group (15th and 14th position in overall ranking). No need for Hungary to end in 5th! place in group, out of the question.

  9. #259
    IHF Member Ref72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    945
    So now the IIHF has announced they are looking into the Russian team behaviour after the gold medal game, specifically for the team leaving the ice prior to the Canadian National anthem being played. This is the 2nd poor sportsmanship display by the Russians as you may recall one of their players threw a stick into the crowd following the gold medal loss to Canada at the U20 championship in Toronto in January. Seems like they need to learn some lessons on how to lose with class

  10. #260
    IHF Member CZMajkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ostrava, Czech_Republic
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    So now the IIHF has announced they are looking into the Russian team behaviour after the gold medal game, specifically for the team leaving the ice prior to the Canadian National anthem being played. This is the 2nd poor sportsmanship display by the Russians as you may recall one of their players threw a stick into the crowd following the gold medal loss to Canada at the U20 championship in Toronto in January. Seems like they need to learn some lessons on how to lose with class
    IN 2010, after unexpected final loss with Czech Republic, almost all rusian players (coach etc.), except Ovechkin, immediately took off their silver medals. There was some "injustice", protest (major call against Yemelin - "kneeing" on Jágr).

    To be objective :-): Canadians have few dirty moments too (remember from matches against Czech Rep at IHWC 1997 <3, 2005 and 2010).

    It`s always hard for big proud country suffer unpleasant defeat. It wasn`t happy moment yesterday, but they give hands to opponent and stayed couple of minutes. Maybe space for possible change of future ceremonies. But yeah, none of previous silver medalists didn`t do this.

  11. #261
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    So now the IIHF has announced they are looking into the Russian team behaviour after the gold medal game, specifically for the team leaving the ice prior to the Canadian National anthem being played. This is the 2nd poor sportsmanship display by the Russians as you may recall one of their players threw a stick into the crowd following the gold medal loss to Canada at the U20 championship in Toronto in January. Seems like they need to learn some lessons on how to lose with class
    Their team captain, Ilya Kovalchuk was the apparent ring leader of the exodus.
    Most players followed but a few, notably Ovechkin, Malkin, Tikhonov and Dimitri Kulikov remained.
    In fact, Ovechkin was seen trying to persuade players to stay.
    The Russian team manager, already shell shocked from the result, was mortified by his team's behaviour.
    Andrey Safronov called the incident a 'shame'.

  12. #262
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,119
    Canadian domination was impressive. Always first on the puck, always stronger on the board, whenever some Canadian player had a puck to pass there was an available player in position to shoot it. Canadian skating and stickhandling was superb, it was unbelievable that one team could so dominate the other in the finals.

  13. #263
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Canadian domination was impressive. Always first on the puck, always stronger on the board, whenever some Canadian player had a puck to pass there was an available player in position to shoot it. Canadian skating and stickhandling was superb, it was unbelievable that one team could so dominate the other in the finals.
    The score was 4-0 after two periods but even that did not fully indicate the degree to which Canada was dominating.
    The SOG after 40 was 29-6 Canada...imagine a team having almost as many goals as the other team has shots.
    As much as Canada was already dominating the tournament (60-14 in goals scored) the Canadians raised their game to an even higher level in the final.
    It was incredible to watch.

  14. #264
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Kovalchuk was a classless baby in the NHL and he is still a classless baby now. *shrugs*

    He doesn't deserve to wear the "C".

    Shame on those Russian players who followed him off of the ice.

    Ovechkin and Malkin are both much better players than he is, and are both 1,000 times classier.

  15. #265
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Incidentally, very proud of the US effort to get the bronze. Unexpected, but really nice. They deserved it and had a great tournament. Too bad they couldn't beat Russia twice.

    As for the Canadians, I've never seen such utter domination of a Russian team by any opponent before. Amazing. Then again, you had a bunch of top shelf NHL'ers who were truly motivated to win playing against a mix of NHL but mostly KHL opponents. No surprise, really.

  16. #266
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Incidentally, very proud of the US effort to get the bronze. Unexpected, but really nice. They deserved it and had a great tournament. Too bad they couldn't beat Russia twice.

    As for the Canadians, I've never seen such utter domination of a Russian team by any opponent before. Amazing. Then again, you had a bunch of top shelf NHL'ers who were truly motivated to win playing against a mix of NHL but mostly KHL opponents. No surprise, really.
    Actually, I kinda have. Sweden vs. Russia in the 2012 WJC final wasn't all that different in the way the Russians were dominated playwise by the Swedes, a major difference was that the Swedes were rather impotent when it came to scoring goals compared to Canada, thus the game didn't end until OT.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  17. #267
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    412
    [QUOTE=CZMajkl;275761]

    To be objective :-): Canadians have few dirty moments too (remember from matches against Czech Rep at IHWC 1997 <3, 2005 and 2010).

    What "dirty moments" are you referring to ? 1997 was in the era when the assumption was physical play would always prevail in Europe and I believe the team was built along those lines. (Didn't see it but I assume there were a lot of PIMs). 2005 & 2010 ? I recall no "dirty moments". If you are referring to pushing and scrums as the game winds down I'd consider that simply frustration. Nothing to be proud of but not at all in the same category as leaving the ice prior to the anthem. That's disrespect.

  18. #268
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Actually, I kinda have. Sweden vs. Russia in the 2012 WJC final wasn't all that different in the way the Russians were dominated playwise by the Swedes, a major difference was that the Swedes were rather impotent when it came to scoring goals compared to Canada, thus the game didn't end until OT.
    Well the fact the Swedes could score but one goal and in OT at that WAS a major difference from Sunday.
    I remember that game and was pulling for Swedes to break their 30 year World Junior drought.
    It was a scary game to watch because even though Sweden was all over them, a fluke goal could have spoiled it.

    At the junior level I can recall a couple of massive beatdowns.
    On their way to their first junior title in 1982, Canada pile-drived the Soviets 7-0 in Winnipeg.
    That was Canada's most lopsided win over a Soviet era team in this event.
    And 1992 saw Canada hammer Russia 9-1 as the Canadians would go on to win gold.

  19. #269
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    412
    Huh...well looks like Babcock will be available to coach at the WCh for a while, he just joined the Leafs.

  20. #270
    IHF Member Ibizajp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ibiza Spain
    Posts
    1,081
    Amazing the amount of very top end skaters CANADA produces. Bring a bunch to the WC and their domination is scandalous
    When they send normal NHLer like the previous years there was no domination on the contrary they struggled to pass quarter(if they did).
    The gap between CANADA and rest of the world is widening. Never the adage that Ice hockey is Canada's game has been more true.

    Russian with KHL are on the wrong pass they are loosing more and more ground to North American Hockey. Not to speak of Euros top nations with their endogenic thinking of local rivalries and the godlike status of their home leagues.

  21. #271
    IHF Member taiwanhockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    9
    For those who are interested, here is a replay of the full game.

    Full Game (TSN, English):

    Channel: https://www.youtube.com/taiwanhockey
    Last edited by taiwanhockey; 17-06-2015 at 06:17.

  22. #272
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    The gap between CANADA and rest of the world is widening. Never the adage that Ice hockey is Canada's game has been more true.

    Russian with KHL are on the wrong pass they are loosing more and more ground to North American Hockey. Not to speak of Euros top nations with their endogenic thinking of local rivalries and the godlike status of their home leagues.
    Well, someone has to be the best. NHL is already the top league in the world and all the best players are going to play there one way or the other. So, why should European countries have to get rid of their leagues?

  23. #273
    IHF Member Ibizajp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ibiza Spain
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Well, someone has to be the best. NHL is already the top league in the world and all the best players are going to play there one way or the other. So, why should European countries have to get rid of their leagues?

    Someone has to be the best of course but not with that widening difference. Its not good for hockey in general.

    you misunderstand me I never said that Euros should get rid of their leagues? Maybe they should look over their narrow borders. I just doubt it's possible seeing the state of hockey in this continent. look at the way they treat the CHL.

    The gap will grow even wider. I hate to see our best player going oversea. The same an Argentinian might hate to see his best footballer going to Europe.

  24. #274
    IHF Member partizanhk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    belgrade
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Amazing the amount of very top end skaters CANADA produces. Bring a bunch to the WC and their domination is scandalous
    When they send normal NHLer like the previous years there was no domination on the contrary they struggled to pass quarter(if they did).
    The gap between CANADA and rest of the world is widening. Never the adage that Ice hockey is Canada's game has been more true.

    Russian with KHL are on the wrong pass they are loosing more and more ground to North American Hockey. Not to speak of Euros top nations with their endogenic thinking of local rivalries and the godlike status of their home leagues.
    This is true.
    There is just one reason, every kid in Canada dream to be a hockey player. There is no other sport in Canada exept ice hockey and that is normal that Canada is top nation in this sport.
    All the rest nations have other sports to play and this is the only reason and nothing else.

  25. #275
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by partizanhk View Post
    This is true.
    There is just one reason, every kid in Canada dream to be a hockey player. There is no other sport in Canada exept ice hockey and that is normal that Canada is top nation in this sport.
    All the rest nations have other sports to play and this is the only reason and nothing else.
    No other sport in Canada except hockey?
    We've got nothing better to do?
    Absolutely false.
    Have you ever heard of Steve Nash?
    He is a two time NBA all star and he's Canadian.
    And Canada has more NCAA basketball players than any other country outside of the States.
    And Canada has produced many MLB stars from Ferguson Jenkins to Matt Stairs.
    Finally, Canada led all nations with 14 Gold Medals at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, and was behind only Germany and the USA in total medals.
    Now please tell me how could Canada win 14 gold medals (only two of which are in hockey) if hockey is the 'only' sport?

    What you said might have been true in 1948.
    But Canada has become a highly diversified sporting nation.

  26. #276
    IHF Member partizanhk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    belgrade
    Posts
    253
    Canada is ice hockey nation, and it would be till the end of the world. It is nothing wrong with that. Canada is winter country and it is normal to have goog winter sports. But ice hockey is the main sport. Few basketball players or baseball is funny even to count beciuse they are just statistical error.

  27. #277
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by partizanhk View Post
    Canada is ice hockey nation, and it would be till the end of the world. It is nothing wrong with that. Canada is winter country and it is normal to have goog winter sports. But ice hockey is the main sport. Few basketball players or baseball is funny even to count beciuse they are just statistical error.
    Yes, hockey is the main sport but it is not the ONLY sport....that was my point.

    And your last sentence...I don't know, something is lost in the translation.

  28. #278
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,119
    Other than hockey, Canada has little chance to win any medal in collective sport. Canada's only participation in World Cup in football was in 1986. and it was nothing to write home about. In basketball, Canada last played on the world championship in 2002. and was 13th among 16 participating nations behind Argentina, USA, Puerto Rico and Brazil to name only American teams. Handball is practically nonexistant and in volleyball Canada was sharing 19th to 24th place in World Championship in 2010. Waterpollo is also little known in Canada.

    In three (football, handball, waterpollo) out of six major collective sports, Croatian team would have swept the field with Canadian opponents. Two match-ups are likely to be near (basketball and volleyball) and only in hockey Croatia would have been licked by Canadians. In field hockey we both suck.

  29. #279
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    St. Catharines, ON
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Other than hockey, Canada has little chance to win any medal in collective sport. Canada's only participation in World Cup in football was in 1986. and it was nothing to write home about. In basketball, Canada last played on the world championship in 2002. and was 13th among 16 participating nations behind Argentina, USA, Puerto Rico and Brazil to name only American teams. Handball is practically nonexistant and in volleyball Canada was sharing 19th to 24th place in World Championship in 2010. Waterpollo is also little known in Canada.

    In three (football, handball, waterpollo) out of six major collective sports, Croatian team would have swept the field with Canadian opponents. Two match-ups are likely to be near (basketball and volleyball) and only in hockey Croatia would have been licked by Canadians. In field hockey we both suck.

    A third-place finish (equivalent to medalling) in a World Baseball Classic wouldn't be all that crazy. Unlikely, perhaps, but not a wild surprise.

  30. #280
    IHF Member partizanhk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    belgrade
    Posts
    253
    Respect for all sports, but handball and waterpollo are not so popular in the world. There are no interest in world for that sports....for me it is on level with field hockey or australian footbal:-)))

  31. #281
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Other than hockey, Canada has little chance to win any medal in collective sport. Canada's only participation in World Cup in football was in 1986. and it was nothing to write home about. In basketball, Canada last played on the world championship in 2002. and was 13th among 16 participating nations behind Argentina, USA, Puerto Rico and Brazil to name only American teams. Handball is practically nonexistant and in volleyball Canada was sharing 19th to 24th place in World Championship in 2010. Waterpollo is also little known in Canada.

    In three (football, handball, waterpollo) out of six major collective sports, Croatian team would have swept the field with Canadian opponents. Two match-ups are likely to be near (basketball and volleyball) and only in hockey Croatia would have been licked by Canadians. In field hockey we both suck.
    Canada is the reigning world champion in lacrosse, both the field and box versions.
    Canada has fared poorly in men's basketball in the past but that may soon change with a new generation of players led by the likes of Andrew Wiggins.
    In women's basketball and football Canada is in the top 10.
    Team handball is virtually unknown in Canada while waterpolo is a CIS university sport.
    As far as men's football goes...well our women are pretty good.

  32. #282
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks
    And Canada has produced many MLB stars from Ferguson Jenkins to Matt Stairs.
    Stairs is a legend in Philly, so to should be Philippe Aumont!

    Canada is the current silver medalists at the American Football World Championships for men & women (OK, not so popular outside of a few nations). Of course, it's always a threat in the other team sports of bobsleigh and curling.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  33. #283
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Kovalchuk was a classless baby in the NHL and he is still a classless baby now. *shrugs*

    He doesn't deserve to wear the "C".

    Shame on those Russian players who followed him off of the ice.

    Ovechkin and Malkin are both much better players than he is, and are both 1,000 times classier.
    While the deportment of many of the Russian players seemed deplorable, I can recall another team from the past whose behaviour was far worse.
    I am speaking of the infamous Canadian team from the 1977 Worlds dubbed by our own press as "Team Ugly".
    Canada was making its return to WHC play for the first time since 1969.
    Hockey Canada, frustrated by the IIHF's refusal to allow at least some pros participate (they were asking for nine) withdrew from the 1970 tournament.
    It was a case of cutting one's nose off to spite the face, as Canada was to host the tournament in Winnipeg.
    It was instead held in Stockholm where, ironically, helmets were made mandatory.

    Fast forward seven years and Canada sends a squad made up entirely of NHL pros.
    The team was led by the now over the hill Phil Esposito and the team mimicked his surly disposition.
    They balked at wearing helmets, doing so very reluctantly.
    Many of the team's players had never worn one before.
    But that was the least of Canada's image problems.
    The team, comprised of players off the five teams that missed the playoffs (13-17th place teams) was obviously lacking in some areas, discipline in particular.
    The team's lack of composure was evident in blowout losses to the Soviets (11-1...still the record, and 8-1).
    Worse yet the team refused to stick around for the anthem when they lost.
    Canada did beat the CSSR 8-2 and Sweden 7-0 but missed out on a medal.
    Based on their overall play that was probably deserved.

    The Canadians were savaged by the European press and it took years to overcome the extremely negative image it presented.

  34. #284
    IHF Member BASSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,079

    Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    No other sport in Canada except hockey?
    We've got nothing better to do?
    Absolutely false.
    Have you ever heard of Steve Nash?
    He is a two time NBA all star and he's Canadian.
    And Canada has more NCAA basketball players than any other country outside of the States.
    And Canada has produced many MLB stars from Ferguson Jenkins to Matt Stairs.
    Finally, Canada led all nations with 14 Gold Medals at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, and was behind only Germany and the USA in total medals.
    Now please tell me how could Canada win 14 gold medals (only two of which are in hockey) if hockey is the 'only' sport?

    What you said might have been true in 1948.
    But Canada has become a highly diversified sporting nation.
    Steve Nash also played hockey during the break in NBA.. and you forgot Raonic in tennis, and few more good players.. msome members are simply not informed that Canada is contry with big capacity in all sports but they only know for Drazen Petrovic, Dino Radja, Toni Kukoc, Vlade Divac, Pedja Stojakovic, and bulk of others from small region in EU, that played in NBA..
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

  35. #285
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSA View Post
    Steve Nash also played hockey during the break in NBA.. and you forgot Raonic in tennis, and few more good players.. msome members are simply not informed that Canada is contry with big capacity in all sports but they only know for Drazen Petrovic, Dino Radja, Toni Kukoc, Vlade Divac, Pedja Stojakovic, and bulk of others from small region in EU, that played in NBA..
    Olympic women's soccer/football medalists.
    Aside from Raonic, let's also mention Genie Bouchard who's made a huge splash on the women's side of tennis, and is not yet 20 years old.
    Brooke Henderson, a now-17-year-old golf pro who's already won a few LPGA tournaments despite not even being a member of the tour: she has to qualify for every tournament. At the rate she's improving she could at some point become the Tiger Woods of women's golf.
    Speaking of golf, Mike Weir did win a Master's once upon a time.
    Clara Hughes, a Canadian, is one of a very few athletes to ever win medals in both summer (cycling) and winter (speed skating) Olympics.
    Just off the top of my head right now.

  36. #286
    IHF Member taiwanhockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    9

    The Russian players that tried to stay to the end.
    Last edited by taiwanhockey; 17-06-2015 at 06:15.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •