Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Asia League 2014/2015

go Tohoku Free Blades
    high quality ice hockey stick supplier. www.hyoungcarbon.com

Nice to see a new team win the title. Go Tanaka should be the MVP I would think. "Old Man" Staal. LOL

Well if by new you mean founded not long ago then yes, but this is their 3rd title in their only 6th Asia League season.

yes, hope Tanaka should be the MVP
    high quality ice hockey stick supplier. www.hyoungcarbon.com

IHF Prospect
    What is the skill level like in this league? Never knew Asia had a pro league.

In North American terms, it is roughly equivalent to what the Central League was - slightly below the ECHL's level. Asia League teams would probably be competitive with ECHL teams (aside from China's team, which is comparatively terrible) but I don't see any of them challenging for the ECHL's Kelly Cup. The best of them would be mid-table in the "E" if I had to guess. They have very good skill and speed but are not as physical as North American pro teams.

Most of the imports in the league have found success in the ECHL or AHL. A few even have NHL experience. The imports generally stand out a bit more though it isn't a night-and-day comparison except for Dragon's lack of domestic depth.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Most of the imports in the league have found success in the ECHL or AHL. A few even have NHL experience. The imports generally stand out a bit more though it isn't a night-and-day comparison except for Dragon's lack of domestic depth.
    ....by which you mean leaning almost entirely on the two-lines of imports to carry their sorry butts while said domestic-trained butts warm the bench for 57 and a half minutes of every game?

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    ....by which you mean leaning almost entirely on the two-lines of imports to carry their sorry butts while said domestic-trained butts warm the bench for 57 and a half minutes of every game?
    Meaning leaning almost entirely on the two-lines of imports to carry their sorry butts while domestic-trained butts warm the bench for 42 minutes of every game and blow the score in the other 18.

....Which is why China has what, 4 or 5 wins over the past 3 seasons combined?

Marc, the reason they have those wins is because Alex Westlund was making 50 or so saves every game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Marc, the reason they have those wins is because Alex Westlund was making 50 or so saves every game this year.
    In fairness, he only faced 39 shots per game. By earning eight wins in the process, I have to make the following statement; comparing goalies to skaters is comparing apples to oranges but I'm pretty confident in saying this makes Alex Westlund the greatest player in China Dragon's history. Hell, he even chipped in offensively with 3 assists; if he were Chinese, that would have tied him for 6th in the league for Chinese scoring.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information