Thread: Looking for Czech contacts

IHF Prospect

Czech Republic Looking for Czech contacts

Hello,

I am an American born player looking to make some contacts to play over in the Czech Republic, but I don't know where to start. I play defense and most recently played at the D2 University level in North America. If anyone has contacts, please send me a PM!

Thanks,

Bates

IHF Member
    I know there have been a few American and Canadian players in the Czech 2.liga (3rd div) over the past few years. Most of the time it doesn't work out, as the players just aren't good enough... or they have problems with visas.

IHF Member
    Hodonin (2 liga - 3rd div) had two Americans on their roster last year. This year they have another one...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2586

IHF Member
    I played there (CZR) last year... It isn't because they aren't good enough, it's because the Czech teams don't pay their players salaries or perks. It's hard to live on $200/month. The majority of coaches and players speak no English and it's not easy to play there. One year was enough for me and trust me, the level of play is not above North American hockey

IHF Member
    Yes, $200 is not enough to live on a month in the Czech Republic, even if the club provides a place to live. I am not sure if other teams pay more. For example, Prostejov played in the 2.liga last season, and I know 5-6 players were professional. The other players were definitely not making that much money.

As you said, if you are only here a year or two... it is very difficult to pick up the language. Also, depending on where you play, it can be tough because some of the places are pretty small and many people don't know English.

IHF Prospect
    Thanks for all this info! I'm not looking to make a ton of money or even money at all. I just want to play overseas so if you know any teams still looking over there! I still haven't found a team for this upcoming season.

IHF Member
    They don't provide housing or your transfer fee. They didn't even pay my salary most of the time, and I played in 2nd liga as well. It is not going to be beneficial to play there for any American. If you're talented go to Sweden. Unfortunately the teams in the CZR have no money. If Lev Praha can fold that's an indication of the conditions of hockey.

IHF Member
    Sorry... Meant to say 1st and 2nd Ligas

IHF Member
    Just an FYI, the American kid playing for Hodonin got cut...according to him it was because he spoke no Czech. Definitely not a wise move to play there unless you have big money to pay your bills

IHF Member
    This article was published on eurohockey today. http://eurohockey.com/news-show/2540-news.html and this is where I played.

IHF Member
    You played in Beroun? I saw them play last year in the promotion playoffs against Prostejov. The goalie for Beroun got injured and they didn't have a back up. Obviously, things did not go well after that...

IHF Member
    Few things went well in Beroun. They had a huge roster of guys from extraliga, they were all paid by those teams and Beroun didn't have to pay their players. One guy was living in the locker room. It's sad, until the economy gets better it will stay this way. Oddly enough a very famous Czech player in the NHL was training where I live a few weeks ago and when he saw my shells on my pants we talked about playing there and the team he owns... And he laughed and said " why do you think I don't play there!"

IHF Member
    Beroun have been kicked out of the 2.liga (3rd div) because of debts. If they reform, they will probably have to start in the regional league (4th div) at some point over the next few years.

IHF Prospect
    Only Extraliga pays good money and it's high level. 1. Liga - good hockey but not so much $ and they are farm teams for Extrl. teams so it's hard to go there as an import player. 3. Liga - no money there don't go there !!!

IHF Prospect
    What are the levels comparable to in Canada? I have watched extra liga so I understand that level. But what about the difference between Div 2 and Div 1? Does a EU passport matter in the Czech republic?

You can't all expect to get top level wages with no real experience though. Be realistic!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

IHF Member
    An EU passport is crucial especially in 1.liga and 2. liga. Not many lower league clubs will go through the hassle of obtaining a visa for their non-EU players. However, there are always exceptions.

IHF Member
    A Czech/American (Libor Gazdik) is playing for Uhersky Brod in the 4th division this year. 9 years ago he spent a season with the Portland Winterhawks.

There is also one Czech/Greek player with Ceska Trebova in the 4th division. He has previously spent his entire career in Greece.
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=70269

IHF Member
    An American has signed with Trebic in the Czech 1.liga (2nd div). His name is Dakota Klecha, and he was born in the US, but it is likely that he definitely has Czech roots with a surname like Klecha.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=97237

Thread Information