Thread: Cuba was the first!

IIHF Cuba was the first!

Hey friends-As we try to save hockey here in Puerto Rico,and I work on our book -Deshielo-Melting Ice- I stumbled on this unknown gem-Havana had a team in this league in !938-39.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Hockey_League
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

IHF Member
    Not that I'm trying to dampen your excitement but apart from the name I don't think there was much link between that team and Cuba. The league was based out of a single rink in Miami, Florida and the promoters were probably just taking advantage of the city's renown for marketing reasons.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    Not that I'm trying to dampen your excitement but apart from the name I don't think there was much link between that team and Cuba. The league was based out of a single rink in Miami, Florida and the promoters were probably just taking advantage of the city's renown for marketing reasons.
    Yeah, though I do seem to remember there being a rink in Havana that hosted an NHL exhibition game way back before the revolution. Perhaps someone else has more information on it.

IHF Member
    There was a rink in the Teatro Blanquita (known today as Teatro Karl Marx) built in the late 1940s. I did a very quick resarch and the only mention I found about NHL teams in Cuba is about some Cuban delegate trying to organize a couple of postseason exhibition games.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/39070
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4079,1790480 (near the end of Carroll's column)

I think the missing link will be to find out who owned the Team and League.As it was pre-Castro there is a good chance a wealthy Cubano was involved.As you can see on the hockey DB all the players were Canadian minor league-rs.Not surprising as the NHL was all Canadian as well.I contacted the family of "Soggy" Green who was a star on the team.I'll keep you all posted as this is a major part of our history as we all assumed Argentina was the oldest program,starting in the 50's.And it was assumed our rink in Aguadilla was also the first in the tropics.
    Last edited by hockeypuertorico; 11-08-2014 at 14:15.
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

Thread Information