Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shl 2014/2015

Vaxjo takes a road win in Game 1 over Skelleftea by a 2-1 score.

Highlights here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LcidUBYMYjI

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    I believe that Skellefteå will win this 4 games against 2, and to win their home games quite comfortably.
    Ok, so my prediction was on home game advantage was not quite spot on... *smile* Reportedly Växjö won a game that not quite lived up to the standard of the semifinal games.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Ok, so my prediction was on home game advantage was not quite spot on... *smile* Reportedly Växjö won a game that not quite lived up to the standard of the semifinal games.
    When was the last time Skellefteå lost an opening playoff series game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubanpuckstopper View Post
    When was the last time Skellefteå lost an opening playoff series game?
    They lost the opening game in the semi-finals against Linköping two years ago, in 2013. Then they turned around and won that series 4-1.

Skellefteås playoff series the last three seasons:

QF 2013: 4-0 against Brynäs
    SF 2013: 4-1 against Linköping
    Final 2013: 4-0 against Luleå

QF 2014: 4-1 against HV71
    SF 2014: 4-1 against Linköping
    Final 2014: 4-0 against Färjestad

QF 2015: 4-0 against Brynäs
    SF 2015: 4-1 against Linköping
    Final 2015: ?? (Currently 1-1)

They also won the regular season with a 12pt margin in 2013, a 9pt margin in 2014 and a 14pt margin this year.

It is no understatement to say that Skellefteå has dominated Swedish club hockey the last couple of years...

Final - Game 2

Växjö Lakers HC - Skellefteå AIK 0 - 3 (0-1, 0-2, 0-0)
    03.29 0-1 (EQ) Patrik Zackrisson (Pesonen, Calof)
    30.57 0-2 (EQ) Kirill Kabanov (Holmström, Norman)
    37.56 0-3 (PP1) Rob Schremp (Heed)
    SOG: 25-18 (7-4, 13-11, 5-3), PIM: Växjö 4x2 - Skellefteå 2x2, Attendance: 5,750

Skellefteå totally dominated this game and ruined the home fans experience of the first ever final game in Växjö. Markus Svensson outshone his counterpart Cristopher Nihlstorp in Växjö's goal and greatly contributed to this victory.

Final - Game 3

Skellefteå AIK - Växjö Lakers HC 2 - 4 (0-1, 1-2, 1-1)
    16.03 0-1 (EQ) Tuomas Kiiskinen (Rosén)
    28.33 0-2 (PP1) Robert Rosén (Kiiskinen, Tambellini)
    37.47 0-3 (EQ) Rhett Rakhshani (Hennessy, Tambellini)
    38.18 1-3 (EQ) John Norman (Lindgren, Holmström)
    47.48 2-3 (SH1) John Norman (Zackrisson)
    52.59 2-4 (EQ) Rhett Rakhshani (Hennessy, Tambellini)
    SOG: 25-22 (8-5, 11-7, 6-10), PIM Skellefteå 6x2 - Växjö 4x2+1x10, Attendance: 6,001

Comments
    Another away win in this series and Växjö continues to surprise. By all accounts a solid away game and a great playoff debut for Växjö goaltender Stefan Steen. Skellefteå looks stunned by the power and intensity in Växjö's forechecking.

Highlights: http://shl.se/video/standalone/11488547/ttvideo/

Final - Game 4

Växjö Lakers HC - Skellefteå AIK 1 - 2 (0-1, 0-0, 1-1)
    03.03 0-1 (EQ) Axel Holmström (Sevc, Burström)
    51.57 1-1 (PP1) Jeff Tambellini (Johnson, Rosén)
    53.43 1-2 (EQ) Pär Lindholm (Lundberg, Aho)
    SOG: 20-16 (6-3, 5-5, 9-8), PIM: Växjö 2x2 - Skellefteå 6x2), Attendance: 5,750

Another away win in this series where teams have yet to win at home. Skellefteå scored an early goal and controlled the game pretty well from there on in.

Series is tied 2-2.

Highlights: http://shl.se/video/standalone/11493256/ttvideo/

Final - Game 5

Skellefteå AIK - Växjö Lakers HC 1 - 4 (0-2, 1-0, 0-2)
    07.21 0-1 (EQ) Jani Lajunen (Kallio, Reddox)
    09.22 0-2 (EQ) Erik Josefsson (Varakas, Lundh)
    38.15 1-2 (PP1) Janne Pesonen (Zackrisson, Holmström)
    58.31 1-3 (EQ) Liam Reddox (Lajunen) ENG
    58.46 1-4 (EQ) Jani Lajunen (Reddox) ENG
    SOG: 22-20 (6-6, 9-10, 7-4), PIM: Skellefteå 0 - Växjö 2x2, Attendance: 6,001

Incredibly yet another away win. The mental game is decisive and Skellefteå with only 5 losses at home previously in the season now has 3 in a row. Växjö now has a good chance to win its first ever playoff. If they can can shake this home team issue they have a good chance tomorrow.

It's amazing that the home team hasn't won a single game in the series yet. Would love to see Vaxjo do it.

IHF Member
    Yeah, would be good to see a new champion. Hope Vaxjo can pull it off.

In other SHL news, I see that Djurgardens have signed Patrick Thoresen from SKA. Very nice acquisition for DIF!

Interesting, b/c I had just read an article over at the IIHF site that claimed Thoresen would likely be returning to Norway and playing for his hometown Storhamar team, which will be competing in the Champions League this season as well as in GET-Ligaen.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Interesting, b/c I had just read an article over at the IIHF site that claimed Thoresen would likely be returning to Norway and playing for his hometown Storhamar team, which will be competing in the Champions League this season as well as in GET-Ligaen.
    I think he's definitely going to Djurgardens. Both the DIF and SKA websites say he is. Unless they let him play for Storhamar in the CHL in August, maybe? But that seems unlikely.

This is a translation from article on the DIF site...

KHL champion Thoresen return to the DIF
    Published: 2015-04-22 15:17

Norwegian striker Patrick Thoresen, 31, returns to Djurgården nine years after he last played in the club. The newly-appointed KHL champion has signed a contract that applies over two seasons.
    - For me and my family it's a dream. We love Stockholm since I played in Djurgarden eight years ago. I feel Djurgarden gave me the chance ten years ago, they wanted to invest in me. Now I feel that I want to give something back to the park and want to help the club become what it once was - a team in the top of SHL, says Patrick Thoresen.

Djurgården's strategic sporting director Joakim Eriksson is pleased recruitment of Thoresen and also appreciates the reason that the Norwegian striker left turning for home.

- We are delighted that he has chosen Djurgarden for the highest paycheck but for other values. He wants to contribute and be part of the development that we Djurgarden are facing forward.

Joakim Eriksson highlights that Thoresen has been a prominent and leading players in the KHL for many years.

- In the last five decade he has been one of the ten best players. Now we are looking forward to getting him to us not only as a quality player but also as informal leader for our young and relatively inexperienced team, says Eriksson.

Thoresen played this past season in the KHL team SKA St. Petersburg. Where he co-led his team to victory in the Gagarin Cup, the KHL's playoffs. Although the 2010/11 season he stood as playoff victory, then with Salavat Yulaev Ufa.

The first time Patrick Thoresen came to Djurgården 2003-2004. He came from the premier league Morrum where he scored as many points as he later chose as shirt number Djurgarden: 41st

- When I got to the park from Morrum played Falk, Micke Johansson and all the legends there. Espen designed also the same year. It is the largest association you can play in Sweden, says Patrick Thoresen.

Thoresen remembers his first match in dif-shirt

Thoresen also remembers well his first match in Djurgarden when he was loaned out and auditioned in a number of matches.

- I remember Wikegård was coach. We played against Farjestad in the first game and I put in a big damn foul on Hyvönen in Farjestad. There liked Wikegård and the contract was secured, haha.

After two full seasons in Djurgården with 36 points as the highest note left Thoresen NHL. There were a total of 106 NHL games with the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Flyers. Then there was a season in Swiss Lugano, where he was third in the Swiss league points.

Since then there have been six seasons in the KHL with Salavat Yulaev Ufa and SKA St. Petersburg. There has been 292 games and 282 points. The playoff has become 82 points of 98 matches.

Now turn Thoresen back and looking forward to coming back to Stockholm, Djurgarden, and Djurgården audience.

- Järnkaminerna are the best supporters

Final - Game 6

Växjö Lakers HC - Skellefteå AIK 3 - 2 (0-1, 0-1, 2-0, 0-0, 1-0)
    11.31 0-1 (EQ) Daniel Widing (Holmström)
    22.43 0-2 (EQ) Kirill Kabanov (Petterström, Burström)
    48.28 1-2 (EQ) Jani Lajunen (Reddox)
    54.11 2-2 (PP1) Jeff Tambellini (Johnson, Kiiskinen)
    90.21 3-2 (EQ) Tuomas Kiiskinen (Rosén, Johnson)
    SOG: 38-18 (11-3, 7-6, 10-6, 5-2, 5-1), PIM: Växjö 1x2 - Skellefteå 4x2, Attendance: 5,750

It looked like another away win in this series dominated by away wins with Skellefteå effectively keeping Växjö in the corners for the first 40 minutes. But Växjö came back in the third period and won deservedly in the second overtime.

CONGRATULATIONS TO VÄXJÖ ON YOUR FIRST EVER CHAMPIONSHIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information