Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2015 World Junior Championship Montréal /Toronto - Discussion Thread

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    TSN confirmed today that last nights gold medal game had the largest Canadian TV audience in the history of the WJC at 7.1 million viewers.
    Wow...that's quite a handsome return on TSN's investment.
    Every year when the World Juniors comes around it really is a big Christmas present for The Shinny Network's ratings.
    Good for them...they helped make this event what it is and so shall reap the rewards.

IHF Member
    Did anyone hear of this incident where one of the Russian players hurled his stick into the stands at spectators at the end of yesterday's game? Incredibly dumb and hazardous move. You can kill someone like that!

http://www.cp24.com/sports/russian-p...nada-1.2175500
    Yeah...he got a 2 minute minor for throwing the stick at 20:00. He probably should get a suspension too.
    At least someone got a good souvenir.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Yeah...he got a 2 minute minor for throwing the stick at 20:00. He probably should get a suspension too.
    At least someone got a good souvenir.
    Yes, I saw the minor penalty in the game summary. Doesn't really matter at that point, does it? Anyway, I saw a quote from an IIHF representative stating they will review the incident so we may still hear something further. To me, the IIHF should not ignore this. If they do, it sets a precedent that could be dangerous. I am no lawyer, but I would also think the IIHF needs to show due diligence or be faced with a lawsuit if a spectator was seriously injured in the future.

IHF Member
    TSN confirmed today that last nights gold medal game had the largest Canadian TV audience in the history of the WJC at 7.1 million viewers.
    Wow! That's a lot more than Finland have population.
    #28 Jani Rita

Congrats to Canada for this win.

What is the assessment for Swiss U20 this year

I have been writing in this forum for a while now about my impression of the stagnating of
    Swiss hockey at junior level. Who stagnates goes backward because other nations progresse.
    More draftees, more young guys going oversea. Is that sand in the eyes?

2014 7th
    2013 6th
    2012 8th (10 participants)
    2011 5th ¨¨
    2010 4th ¨¨
    2009 promo from DIV1

I had a look at all rooster since 2010 and we can say that Switzerland produced yearly 1 NHLer if we want to take up a high end mesure.

Is there possibilities this year. Maybe FIALA,SIEGENTHALER,(MEIER,ROD,MALGIN,FAZZINi?) I am not counting MUELLER as he was already last year. Can this team produce more NHLer? even if tournament was worse than other years.

The STÜTZPUNKT PROGRAM, Canadian always allude to in their comments on TV when they talk about
    the progress we made, has imho come to its limit. Its not enough. We need academies, better
    coaches at junior level for: GK, tactics, skills, speed, special situations, skating(even if
    this is a strong point) game understanding etc...

The SIHF is an semi-unable body with static functionaries without ideas and bad use of
    means(reasonable quantity of licensees, infrastructure and money).
    (A look at their outdated, heavy to manipulate website says enough to me. The most visible part of the iceberg).
    They gargarise themselves with promises and inaction. See NLB problems. Simpsons renewal, Swiss hockey center project
    etc...

This years team had set as objective the 1/4 final. It failed mostly because it was not able
    to kill the game against DENMARK AT 2:0. That it lost in shout out is the way these
    tournaments go. It had the mean to avoid this situation and that is where we have to
    look for errors. Why did we get to this failing?

- lack of quality keepers, good but NOT determinant. .
    - lack of discipline, most penalised team
    - Boxplay,PP only 2 PP goals(in first game) and 10 received in BP
    - Individual failing in defense(KINDSCHI,HARLACHER,FORA, and in some measure MÜLLER, because
    you can expect more from an NHL rookie defender. RATHGEB had a strong tournament until he put
    the team in deep trouble with his five minutes penalty vs Sweden.
    - KAY SCHWERI and TIM WIESER never came up to their performance in QMJHL

I am no fan of FUST but maybe I am biased because of his time with TIGERS.

Positive was how the team reacted to pressure of division maintenance games defeating clearly
    the German in both games.

I was impressed by defender JONAS SIEGENTHALER, 1997, the 1.97m/97KG guy had great control
    and skills. He already has 29 games with ZSC in NLA. Imho a great prospect.

We sure have to take in account the fact that they were the youngest team engaged which is I
    hope positive for next year.

BEST SCORES

1. Luca Fazzini 7 points (2 goals - 5 assists)
    2. Denis Malgin 7 points (1 goal - 6 assists)
    3. Noah Rod 6 points (3 goalS - 3 assists)
    4. Timo Meier 6 points (2 goals - 4 assists)
    5. Kevin Fiala 5 points (4 goals - 1 assist)
    6. Luca Hischier 5 points (1 goal - 4 assists)
    7. Pius Suter 2 points (2 goals - 0 assist)
    8. Jason Fuchs 2 points (1 goal - 1 assist)

MOST SOG:

1. Kevin Fiala 22
    2. Noah Rod 21
    -. Timo Meier 21
    4. Pius Suter 18
    5. Luca Fazzini 17

BEST % IN RELATION WITH SOG

1. Kevin Fiala 18,18% (22 SOG - 4 goals)
    2. Tim Wieser 16,67% (6 SOG - 1 goal)
    3. Noah Rod 14,29% (21 - 3 )
    -. Kris Schmidli 14,29% (7 - 1 )
    5. Jason Fuchs 12,50% (8 - 1 )
    .- Luca Hischier 12,50% (8 - 1 )
    .- Yannick Rathgeb 12,50% (8 - 1 )

BEST +/-

1. Jonas Siegenthaler +9
    2. Luca Fazzini +7
    3. Kevin Fiala +6
    .- Denis Malgin +6
    .- Noah Rod +6
    6. Yannick Rathgeb +5
    .- Pius Suter +5

WORST +/-

1. Marc Aeschlimann -6
    -. Kris Schmidli -6
    3. Michael Fora -1
    .- Mirco Müller -1
    .- Michael Hügli -1
    .- Luca Hischier -1
    .- Kay Schweri -1
    .- Simon Kindschi -1

MOST PENALISED:

1. Yannick Rathgeb 27 minutes
    2. Kevin Fiala 16 minutes
    3. Jonas Siegenthaler 8 minutes
    4. Mirco Müller, Michael Hügli et Phil Baltisberger 6 minutes

GK STATS:

Gauthier Descloux 5 STARTS / 285 min. playing time / 15 goals received on 108 shots (87,80%) / 3,16 AVG G/G

Ludovic Waeber 1 START / 80 min. PT / 7 received on 42 shots (85,71%) / 5,25 G/G

Players who will be next year:

GK (3): Gauthier Descloux (Genève-Servette HC), Gilles Senn (HC Davos), Ludovic Waeber (HC Fribourg-Gottéron)

Défenders (3): Edson Harlacher (Kloten Flyers), Simon Kindschi (HC Davos), Jonas Siegenthaler (ZSC Lions).

Forwards (7): Kevin Fiala (HV71/SWE), Denis Malgin (ZSC Lions), Timo Meier (Halifax Mooseheads/QMJHL),
    Noah Rod (Genève-Servette HC), Kris Schmidli (Kelowna Rockets/WHL), Kay Schweri (Sherbrooke Phoenix/QJMHL),
    Pius Suter (Guelph Storm/OHL).

Thanks for the insight Ibizajp.

Though could you please explain more closely what the STÜTZPUNKT programme means? Thanks!

Personally I am a bit disappointed that the only thing that came out of Slovakia's bronze is a glorification of the u20 team programme (though I suppose it was to be expected).

Sure it did help a lot, but what will be when these generations of players come to the men's level, as someone elsewhere has put it, you can't have the men's national team play together all year long. At this moment Slovakia still produces (barely) enough solid players to form a semi-competitive men's team, but those are very few and these players were developed despite the Slovak system not thanks to it (and most of them aren't even completely developed in Slovakia).
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Actually, he got a 20m game misconduct
    http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417131_74_3_0.pdf

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bekayne View Post
    Actually, he got a 20m game misconduct
    http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417131_74_3_0.pdf
    Which is meaningless, as the game was obviously over.
    An additional one game suspension would suffice, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Thanks for the insight Ibizajp.

Though could you please explain more closely what the STÜTZPUNKT programme means? Thanks!

Personally I am a bit disappointed that the only thing that came out of Slovakia's bronze is a glorification of the u20 team programme (though I suppose it was to be expected).

Sure it did help a lot, but what will be when these generations of players come to the men's level, as someone elsewhere has put it, you can't have the men's national team play together all year long. At this moment Slovakia still produces (barely) enough solid players to form a semi-competitive men's team, but those are very few and these players were developed despite the Slovak system not thanks to it (and most of them aren't even completely developed in Slovakia).

You are welcome. The program starts with U15 and spread itself to U20
    basically consist of monthly regional meeting of talents for training and tournaments + 2 or 3 national meetings it is extended to cooperation between clubs.

here some details from the SIHF web site. It is in German and French if you are interested in more details.(sorry for not translating :( but I think you read German IIINW?)

http://www.sehv.ch/SIH/nationalteams...kttraining.php
    http://www.sehv.ch/media/native/pdf/...die_eltern.pdf
    http://www.sehv.ch/media/native/pdf/...je_v110613.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    You are welcome. The program starts with U15 and spread itself to U20
    basically consist of monthly regional meeting of talents for training and tournaments + 2 or 3 national meetings it is extended to cooperation between clubs.

here some details from the SIHF web site. It is in German and French if you are interested in more details.(sorry for not translating :( but I think you read German IIINW?)

http://www.sehv.ch/SIH/nationalteams...kttraining.php
    http://www.sehv.ch/media/native/pdf/...die_eltern.pdf
    http://www.sehv.ch/media/native/pdf/...je_v110613.pdf

German is not a problem for me. I've only looked at some of the main points and tbh it doesn't seem all that different from the Slovak u15 programme. AFAIK in Slovakia, the regional selections of West, Central and East Slovak u15 players meet a few times during the season for short camps and either the players in each of the camps play game against each other (A vs. B team) or they play against an u18 Extraliga team. In December a national selection of the u15 team used to play in a tourney agains Czech regions, but I'm not sure if they still play.

The information about the u15 teams is pretty much non existent on SZLH's website.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

So I think we do agree that this type of program has hit its limit. The SIHF is not dumb they
    have recognised the problem.

Parenthesis to football: which is not really belonging to this thread but serves my argument
    why I think we can progress further in hockey if we make the right effort.

Success in junior football (Euro Champion U17 2002, World Champion U17 2009, finalist Euro U21
    2012 and Olympic qualification ) show that even if you are not a big nation you can reap
    success) an important aspect was THE CHANGE OF MENTALITY OF THE PARENTS (seeing that the 3
    regional academies actually lead to professional football) made it possible (their kids could
    make a living of their sport). A program which by the way attracted also many imigrated
    parents.
    Every country is different and need a structure and program "à la carte¨. What works in
    Sweden( many Gymnasiums) cannot work in Switzerland. The young players basis is too small.

We can copy Swiss football in more modest ways so. As the relation to hockey is 1:10 in
    licences.

Former Fed president Gaydoul(Kloten)'s baby project was the building of National Hockey
    Center in Winterthur with all kinds of facilities for many aspects of hockey among others
    also coaches, referees schooling, medicine, NHL size ice rink, euro-size ice rinks and the academy
    team's home (15-17 years old of the best talents, like American Ann Arbor). A place where
    world class junior coaches could bring what our own cannot and were the kids could receive a
    school formation too.
    There were talks of bringing it to BIEL-BIENNE new Ice arenas when the Winterthur project
    collapsed. See if anything moves next year.

As we do not have further infos about that interesting project I tag it to the lack of
    capacity of SIHF hidden behind financial problems.

I know that EVZUG started an academy at club level, it would be nice to have some further
    infos about that experience.(ANDY?)

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Which is meaningless, as the game was obviously over.
    An additional one game suspension would suffice, IMO.
    Yes, from the perspective of the game results, it is irrelevant. However, some association rule books use the type of penalty called and the time period it is called at as a requirement for a hearing or automatic suspension. I do not know how the IIHF manages these scenarios but the fact that he was handed a penalty means the officials witnessed the infraction and the IIHF could use their written report as part of the incident investigation.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Former Fed president Gaydoul(Kloten)'s baby project was the building of National Hockey
    Center in Winterthur with all kinds of facilities for many aspects of hockey among others
    also coaches, referees schooling, medicine, NHL size ice rink, euro-size ice rinks and the academy
    team's home (15-17 years old of the best talents, like American Ann Arbor). A place where
    world class junior coaches could bring what our own cannot and were the kids could receive a
    school formation too.
    There were talks of bringing it to BIEL-BIENNE new Ice arenas when the Winterthur project
    collapsed. See if anything moves next year.

As we do not have further infos about that interesting project I tag it to the lack of
    capacity of SIHF hidden behind financial problems.
    I remember hearing talk about this project here and there but hadn't heard anything for a while. If financing is the issue then the money would probably be better spent in retaining and properly developing youth players. The US program has produced results within it's age bracket and helped keep some top talent in the country that might otherwise have left for Canada but there are still major issues with the way younger players are developed and keeping them playing the game at all.

Despite results at the U20 level seeming to regress it still seems to me the Swiss are trending up as far as talent development is concerned.

After nearly falling out of grace, the Finnish Ice Hockey Association is taking next year's home tournament pretty seriously. Hannu Jortikka just resigned, and they hired Jukka Jalonen as their new U20 coach.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information