Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The FHL

IHF Member

The FHL

The FHL is without a doubt, the least professional league on earth. They don't pay the players, there's no gear and the living conditions are ridiculous. Why isn't this better publicized?

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBrutes View Post
    The FHL is without a doubt, the least professional league on earth. They don't pay the players, there's no gear and the living conditions are ridiculous. Why isn't this better publicized?
    Publicize it. But as Jim Carr would say, "keep all calls within the bounds of good taste" being within the Forum Terms & Agreements, Legal, etc. Avoid names and name-calling and give general descriptions.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

I thought this league folded a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I thought this league folded a year or two ago.
    Same. I remember reading about plenty of their teams folding, if not the futile expansion to the midwest.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

They limped through last year with four teams. This season: old Watertown folded and replaced by a new Watertown team, expanded to Belle Vernon, PA and that team folded during the season and replaced with a new team that pretty much took over the lease/website but not the roster/coach, they were going to go forward with five teams but put together a late expansion into North Adams, MA (Berkshire Battalion), a market that was going to be a NAPHL market until that league crashed and burned, with a league-owned team looking for local ownership ... or any ownership really.

Here's Berkshire's rink:

Seats "2,000".

OK, so here are the six current teams in the FHL: Berkshire Battalion (Massachusetts), Danbury Whalers (Connecticut), Danville Dashers (Ohio), Dayton Demonz (Ohio), Steel City Warriors (Pennsylvania), and Watertown Wolves (New York). Dayton apparently won last season's title.

Here are the current standings: http://fhl_league.stats.pointstreak....?leagueid=1018

This is really not a true pro league. It is a semi-pro league.

DustyBrutes, would live to hear about the conditions in the league for the players.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 17-11-2014 at 03:56. Reason: Added states teams are located in

What's the over/under on the amount of teams folding during or at the conclusion of the season?

LOL. I'll find some game highlights and post them. Any half decent Junior A team or NCAA D.3 team would beat FHL teams. Good ones would kill them. I am sure top ACHA teams can play with them and beat them.

Anyway, the Watertown Wolves have a great looking logo and jersey..... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LFaDmPqUqE
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 17-11-2014 at 04:20.

Here, check out what a goon league this is....or at least Dayton is a bunch of goons. Each time they score, they taunt the Wolves' players and bench, and they start fight after fight, including when Watertown beats them in OT. Ridiculous, as is calling a team "Demonz". Trust me guys, the purposeful "z" misspelling is not cool.....it makes the organization look amateurish.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yAzcXkLHdo

Danbury vs. Dayton highlights I found from earlier this season: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZn9vkd-h8

IHF Member
    Well it has perfected the definition of a "beer" league.

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2014/...yers-suspended

To give you an idea of the strength of the league as well, based on that article, Ahmed Mahfouz (the league's leading scorer last season with 96 points in however many games... roughly 2 points per game I guess) was a GOOD, but not outstanding Junior A player for the Nepean Raiders of the CJHL (now the CCHL). He was a solid, hard-hitting, gritty second-line Junior A guy who could put the puck in the goal too. Not a first-line surefire-NCAA-scholarship type. .... far as I know he didn't actually get a scholarship, he signed with Akwesasne in the FHL's first season, right out of Jr.A, and I guess he's been playing ever since.
    Frankly, this is a guy who SHOULD have gotten a chance in a higher league (SPHL/old CHL) than this. He has the skills to probably make a go of it...

I found an article on the Berkshire Battalion website which refers to a player "Moving Up" and getting "Called up" to the SPHL. I guess this means any illusion of this being a Single-A league can be thrown out the window. I've also found an entire Facebook page called "Get Dayton out of the FHL" which is devoted to getting rid of the Demonz, which they feel are an embarrassment to the history of minor-pro hockey in Dayton. I've also noticed that pretty much every statement from any of the teams or any reference to them in the press starts with "Proud member of the FHL" which leads me to believe the league is making them say that, which is pretty sad.

Dayton has a few games on YouTube so at least they're getting some level of media coverage. Good to watch if your looking for a real idea of the level of play because i've found that pretty much all the highlight videos out there are 90% fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjLfJESKn9A

So basically, it's the LNAH but based in America, is what you're saying?

Based on what I've heard ya. But I get the impression that the LNAH is at least a little more honest about itself and its status as a goon league. The FHL tries to paint itself as a serious minor league but then doesn't pay its players. Apparently a recent game between Dayton and Watertown was delayed because the Dayton team bus got pulled over for having expired registration and no insurance. About as unprofessional as it gets...

Quote Originally Posted by pcal226 View Post
    Apparently a recent game between Dayton and Watertown was delayed
    And the fan didn't complain?
    because the Dayton team bus got pulled over for having expired registration and no insurance. About as unprofessional as it gets...
    And presumably to delay the game they had to be running late anyway. No wonder their own town rejects them.

Well, here's an example highlighting how gongshow the FHL is: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25110704

Well, the most stable team in the FHL is apparently no more. Danbury has led the league in attendance in each of its five seasons. The League just announced an expansion team for Port Huron for next season, which is surprising considering all the issues the League had this year. I'm sure they'll try to find a new home for Danbury somewhere, or maybe just give all their players to the new club. I've heard rumors that the junior NAHL is looking to create a Northeast Division, with Brooklyn and Lewiston as possible locations. Maybe now they can add Danbury to the list. I feel bad for the few fans they had, but lets face it: Danbury Ice Arena is not really suited for professional hockey.

[ Story ]

Port Huron isn't surprising when you realize it's owned by the same guy who owns Dayton and Danville. And he doesn't have the best history with paying bills.

Danbury would be great for NAHL. The market could probably support AA hockey again if they had a larger rink, it just isn't likely to happen.

This may, finally, be the end of the Federal Hockey League.

See this article: http://www.tsn.ca/injury-court-judgm...-fold-1.257792

I don't know how things work outside of the USA, but the FHL's owners can't simply fold their LLC and start over with a new entity while keeping the LLC's assets. If they re-form, that's fine, but all of the current LLC's assets would be subject to seizure up to the judgment amount plus applicable interest and costs in order to satisfy the judgment. If they tried to do it, the judgment creditor could seize the assets improperly transferred to the new LLC by the old LLC.

This may, finally, be the end of the Federal Hockey League.

See this article: http://www.tsn.ca/injury-court-judgm...-fold-1.257792
    To me, their is a hint of humor when the league commissioner says
    "Players with half-shields, it's one of the problems. Someone can get a stick under it by mistake."
    because if that was such a problem why didn't the league, which has it's own rulebook, mind you, require full facial protection? What, the commissioner can't make rules for his league?

So Steel City is done (at least temporarily), Danbury has been evicted and has its future in doubt, nobody has heard a peep out of Dayton since the season ended and rumour has it they've been evicted as well, Watertown might not have an arena to play in, and the League itself is potentially bankrupt after losing a lawsuit... an yet, nobody seems to have told the league these things. Two new teams have been "confirmed" for next season. Port Huron, as has already been mentioned here, and now a team in Berlin, NH: The Berlin River Drivers.

[ Article from team website ]

They will be playing in Notre Dame Arena in Berlin...

Allegedly the place was recently renovated, so this picture may not reflect what I'm sure is its current magnificence.

How this league continues to exist is beyond me

This is the second straight year they've tried Berlin. They scrapped the idea shortly before this last season and went with Berkshire.

FHL 2015-16 off-season update:

• Steel City Warriors: Suspending operations for 2015-16 season "while they search for a more suitable arena." Most people believe however that the team is probably done. They had serious problems paying bills last year, and even showed up to a few games last year without enough jerseys for everyone on their team, as well as helmets and pads that didn't match.
    • Berkshire Battalion: Little has been heard from them, but by all accounts they will be back next season.
    • Danville Dashers: Again, little has been heard from them, but they are expected to be back next year.
    • Danbury Whalers: Danbury, the only team to last all 5 years of the leagues existence and the team which led the league in attendance in each of those years, has been evicted from Danbury Ice Arena for failure to pay its bills. The team is being replaced by a new team under new ownership in Brewster, NY which is about 20 minutes to the west. The new team will be called the "Stale Line Whalers," a name which has been roundly criticized by just about everyone.
    • Watertown Wolves: The Watertown Wolves have announced that they will sit out the 2015-16 season while they await renovations to their home arena. Like Steel City however, many fans are expressing serious doubts that the team will return. Watertown didn't seem to have quite the same financial problems as some others, but with the instability in the league as a whole as it is, I can't see why anyone would waste their money trying to resurrect this team in a year or two.
    • Dayton Demonz: Apparently their ownership has jumped ship after failing to pay many of their bills (and moved on to Port Huron) and the team is now owned by the League while they seek new ownership. The League intends to have them play in 2015-16, but once again, whether they actually will or not is anyones guess.
    • Port Huron Prowlers: A new expansion team for 2015-16, the Prowlers will play at McMorran Place. Apparently the team's ownership is effectively a relocation of the aforementioned ownership group from Dayton (who I believe also own Danville).
    • Berlin River Drivers: A new expansion team for 2015-16 in Berlin, NH. A team was planned for Berlin last year, but was moved to North Adams, MA (Berkshire Battalion) at the last minute. Let's see if this team actually makes it to the ice. Like Berkshire, "State Line" and a number of former teams in the League, the River Drivers play in a pretty tiny local rink; Notre Dame Arena.

Summary: Of the 6 teams which played last year, 3 are gone for sure. 3 new teams have been added this year to replace them. With the existing three, there are now 6 teams "confirmed" for next year.

Aaaannnnnnddd, almost as soon as I posted my previous update, things changed. Apparently the Berkshire Battalion will in fact be relocating. Apparently the team will merge with the remnants of the Danbury Whalers franchise in the form of the Stateline Whalers which was already announced as an expansion team. Its all very confusing. It seems the rink in North Adams was making more money off of public open-skates than they were from Battalion games...

Anyways, there now are apparently 5 teams confirmed for next year, not 6.

[ Story ]

Quote Originally Posted by pcal226 View Post
    AIts all very confusing. It seems the rink in North Adams was making more money off of public open-skates than they were from Battalion games...

Anyways, there now are apparently 5 teams confirmed for next year, not 6.

[ Story ]
    Kinda sums up the futility of the league in a nutshell

I must say that was an entertaining read! I too am left wondering how the hell this league operates?! Why do businesses sponsor it? who pays for it? why do players agrees to play here! So many questions
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

It mostly kids that don't want to let go of the dream. They had one season where their top 2.5 teams could be a mid-pack SPHL squad but the teams couldn't continue to throw money at players to lure them away and the level of play fell off again. There are some kids that start there with talent or go there mid-season after being cut by ECHL/SPHL teams but then you see teams like Steel City with players that played in American Tier III Jr. leagues like the MnJHL, Canadian Jr. C leagues, ACHA D2/D3, 30 year olds who haven't played in 6 or 7 years, or guys that have no history of competitive hockey.
    Last edited by Geoff; 28-06-2015 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It mostly kids that don't want to let go of the dream. They had one season where their top 2.5 teams could be a mid-pack SPHL squad but the teams couldn't continue to throw money at players to lure them away and the level of play fell off again. There are some kids that start their with talent or go there mid-season after being cut by ECHL/SPHL teams but then you see teams like Steel City with players that played in American Tier Jr. leagues like the MnJHL, Canadian Jr. C leagues, ACHA D2/D3, 30 year olds who haven't played in 6 or 7 years, or guys that have no history of competitive hockey.
    Thanks.

If thats the case it begs the question... why do people pay to watch this stuff? I mean if its the only team around for say 500 miles then sure why not.

Well that team's pretty much dead if that answers your question.

The Gong Show continues: FHL back in Danbury.

Berkshire out, Berkshire's owner joins two other guys to bring in a new Danbury team. Former Danbury Whalers coach Phil Esposito (not that one, this one) sticks around and will coach the yet to be named new team.

League is hoping to play with six but is still waiting to get the Dayton situation figured out.

http://www.newstimes.com/sports/arti...se-6353272.php

Unreal. So now there going to have the Stateline Whalers AND a new Danbury team less than 20 minutes away? Is the Berkshire guy joining with the new Danbury team, or the Stateline team as had been previously reported?

Gareth - this league is "pro" in name only, and "semi-pro" only in the technical sense, since players get $100 per game or some similar number. The level of play is such that I could, at 43 years old and never having played higher than midgrade ACHA hockey 20+ years ago, and in good mens' leagues since (& even that not regularly in 9 years), step in and play half decently. That should, I trust, answer your question. Off topic, I owe you an update to the NHL, AHL and ECHL threads. After two straight years of utter heartbreak with the NY Rangers, I stepped back and took a break from hockey. Sorry about that.

Gareth - this league is "pro" in name only, and "semi-pro" only in the technical sense, since players get $100 per game or some similar number. The level of play is such that I could, at 43 years old and never having played higher than midgrade ACHA hockey 20+ years ago, and in good mens' leagues since (& even that not regularly in 9 years), step in and play half decently. That should, I trust, answer your question. Off topic, I owe you an update to the NHL, AHL and ECHL threads. After two straight years of utter heartbreak with the NY Rangers, I stepped back and took a break from hockey. Sorry about that.
    That does indeed give me a good picture of what this league is about!

:)

I also found a player in the English National League who had graced the FHL! Tells me even more about the quality on offer.

The circus continues... (inhale) ok here I go: So as far as I know the situation for Berlin and Danville remains unchanged. Watertown and Steel City also remain unchanged (in that they're gone for the year). So the latest is: Berkshire has relocated to Dayton. I haven't been able to confirm their name. I think there's a naming contest going on, but nobody is really sure if its official or if some fan just started a pole (its so hard to tell with this league...). In any event, the Dayton Demonz appear to be officially dead. A new Danbury franchise has been awarded to be called the Danbury Titans. Why the arena people in Danbury would welcome another team from this league is beyond me. Now, it seems, with no explanation (other than that it was an idiotic name), the previously announced Stateline Whalers expansion team in Brewster, NY are going being called the Brewster Bulldogs. Info for Port Huron is pretty much unchanged, but now pretty much everyone is referring to them as a relocation of Dayton, rather than a true expansion team.

Honestly, watching this league reshuffle itself every two weeks is almost more fun than actually watching a hockey game haha.

I should point out that it was the Danbury Titans who actually announced the name change in Brewster, not the Brewster team itself. Nothing has been heard from them (whoever "them" is). Only in the FHL...

wow...all this in two weeks! better then a mexican novela!

Ok, so there has been an expansion draft and the teams are currently signing players and coaches. It seems the circus is over for now. As it stands there will be six teams for the 2015-16 season. Those teams are:

• Berlin River Drivers: Expansion team for 2015-16. Will play at the 1,680 seat Notre Dame Arena in Berlin, NH.
    • Brewster Bulldogs: Expansion team for 2015-16. Originally announced as the Stateline Whalers, the new Brewster team was intended to replace the defunct Danbury Whalers franchise. After Danbury received its own replacement team, the Brewster team changed its name to the Bulldogs in an effort to create its own identity. Will play at the 1,000 seat Brewster Ice Arena in Brewster, NY.
    • Danbury Titans: Expansion team for 2015-16. Intended to replace the defunct Danbury Whalers franchise. Will play at the 3,050 seat Danbury Ice Arena in Danbury, CT.
    • Danville Dashers: Now the oldest team in the league, the Dashers enter their fifth season in 2015-16, having joined the FHL as an expansion team for the 2011-12 season. Will continue to play at the 2,350 seat David S. Palmer Arena in Danville, IL.
    • Dayton Demolition: Relocation of the Berkshire Battalion for 2015-16. Berkshire joined the league and played just one season in 2014-15 before relocating to Dayton to replace the defunct/relocated Dayton Demonz franchise. Will play at the 5,500 seat Hara Arena in Dayton, OH.
    • Port Huron Prowlers: Expansion team for 2015-16. Although announced as an expansion team, Port Huron is actually in effect a relocation of the Dayton Demonz franchise which joined the league for the 2012-13 season. Will play at the 3,400 seat McMorran Place in Port Huron, MI.

So to summarize, of the six teams that took the ice in 2014-15, just one, Danville, will return for 2015-16. We'll see how long this lasts before it changes again.

IHF Prospect
    Any idea on what their free agent camps are like?

Here are some articles about the free agent camps. I don't really know much about them myself.

[ Berlin River Drivers ]
    [ Danbury Titans/Brewster Bulldogs ]

Couldn't find any announcements for Danville, Dayton or Port Huron.

Apparently the Dayton Demolition have already begun to collapse. Facing severe financial problems, the Demolition slashed ticket prices in order to attract more fans. Since that hasn't seemed to work, the team has been forced to cancel or postpone some games. Apparently the team is now moving out of the 5,500 seat Hara Arena and into a small local rink called South Metro Sports in Centerville, OH, which is an outer suburb of Dayton. Based on the pictures I've seen, the rink barely as any seating at all. As has become typical in this league, the way this news has been handled has been very unprofessional. Apparently the news was e-mailed to season ticket holders by another season ticket holder. No one with the organization could be reached. It looks like hockey may finally be finished in Dayton for the time being.

Listed capacity for the new home rink of the Demolition is 200. Apparently there are unconfirmed rumours that the demolition are adding seats, but how they would do that considering they can't even pay rent is anyones guess. Also, it seems the new rink doesn't have a liquor license and is unlikely to get one since it is a kids recreation centre. There apparently has been no indication that season ticket holders will be compensated in any way, other than to say that they will be the first ones allowed in the rink for future games.

Wow. From the Hara Arena official Facebook page:

Clarification: Hara did not evict the Dayton Demolition Hockey team. We were, in fact, in good faith negotiations with the team owner and FHL to help them through the season. As it turns out, we were the only ones operating in good faith. We read of the move on social media even as the Commissioner of the FHL was claiming no knowledge of it. We wish the Dayton players and fans only good things and hope they will remember to respect each other and the game of hockey, even as their league forgets. We fought for Hockey at Hara right up until the League violated the Dayton Demolition contract, our trust, and their own professional integrity.
    I can also confirm from Facebook that a number of Demolition season ticket holders have demanded refunds, and so far have received no response.

The FHL continues to be a gongshow league, and that's just a further nail in the coffin

IHF Member
    I get the feeling this will be an obvious answer, but does this league ever receive any media coverage for its hockey? Do any teams have local newspaper or radio tie-ups, or is the only media attention along the lines of "FHL screws up again"?

If there is any, it would be local coverage only. When the league used to have the NY (Brooklyn) Aviators, they got no coverage. Zero.

Well after one game at South Metro Sports (which was actually relatively well attended), the Dayton Demolition are back at Hara. For how long is anyone's guess. I feel like there was definitely some behind the scenes FHL shadiness going on here.

[ Story ]

Every time I see this thread in under the New Posts tab, my first reaction is always "Now what!"

Will Dayton play their next game at a homeless shelter? Soup kitchen? The parking lot behind a local VFW?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information