Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The FHL

IHF Member
    This has to be one of the most interesting threads going on. Makes the day more interesting when I see the "new" icon flashing

Lmao!

Well the soap opera just keeps on rolling. The former marketing manager of the Dayton Demolition has announced that the team has folded. Furthermore, the FHL website has removed all Dayton home games from the schedule. They have however kept the Demolition's road games, implying that they are going to become a traveling team similar to what happened to the Cape Cod/New York Bluefins a few years back. Meanwhile, the Dayton Demolition themselves, via their Facebook page, are denying all of it. They claim that the team has definitely not folded and that furthermore all previously scheduled home games at Hara Arena will go ahead as planned. They didn't address the fact that their road games have been removed from the league schedule.

So to summarize, we now have three sources claiming three different things about the fate of the team. You would at least expect the team and league to be on the same page, even if that page is total BS, but no. Only in the FHL...

The FHL has terminated the membership of the Dayton Demolitions' ownership group. The team will continue as a league-owned team until new ownership can be found. The league has also stated that all of Dayton's home games will be re-added to the schedule. Apparently they already have a new ownership group lined up. This is of course all according to the league. Who knows if any of it's true. Why anyone would want to buy a ticket on this sinking ship of a league is beyond me, but its happened before.

IHF Prospect
    Does anyone know how Finlands Suomi-Sarja league compares to the FHL, SPHL, and ECHL?

Asked and answered here: http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...-Sarja-ranking

Please use that thread for Suomi-Saraja level comparisons.

IHF Prospect
    I think we can all work out what the F in this league's name really stands for, but a serious question - how have they managed to survive this long? Is it a commissioner with delusions of grandeur, players who know they wouldn't get a shot anywhere else, or what?

Secondly, if (when) the FHL implodes, will the teams fold with it or are there other regional minor leagues that could take them?

Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    I think we can all work out what the F in this league's name really stands for, but a serious question - how have they managed to survive this long? Is it a commissioner with delusions of grandeur, players who know they wouldn't get a shot anywhere else, or what?

Secondly, if (when) the FHL implodes, will the teams fold with it or are there other regional minor leagues that could take them?
    I mean the commissioner definitely has delusions of grandeur, but I think the fact that these players wouldn't get a shot anywhere else is a big factor too. A bigger factor is that the league is taking advantage of the various arena owners. Most of these markets wouldn't be able to attract another team from a bigger league and so the FHL has become the only option. I think the FHL has done a good job at selling itself in places like Watertown, Berlin and Danbury basically by convincing the arena owners that "hey, its us or nothing" which for most of these places is probably true. Places like Dayton and Port Huron have had bigger teams in the past, but they now have seriously outdated arenas in cities where there just isn't the money available to renovate them or build new ones.

If the FHL does implode, there's really not any options left for these franchises, unless the SPHL wanted to take pity on one of them and expand northward. Even then, that would be a significant jump up for these owners, and I don't see any of them being able to make it work financially. As for the markets themselves, I think some of them could maybe be saved. With improvements to Hara, or maybe an agreement with Wright State to use the Nutter Center, you could see an NAHL or, if they're lucky, a USHL team in Dayton. The NAHL could maybe work in Danville. Port Huron had an NAHL team from 2010-2014 and was in the bottom 3rd of the league in attendance each year. The NAHL could go back, but I'd be surprised if they did without trying to explore other markets first. The New York/New England cities would probably be out of luck. I know Danbury has had bigger teams in the past, but I just don't see any other league thats out there right now working there in the near future. Brewster, Berlin and Watertown just don't have the arenas to support anything bigger than a Tier III junior team.

Hahaha the FHL just got mentioned during NBC's broadcast of the Stadium Series game between Chicago and Minnesota, TWICE! That's gotta be the most publicity this league has ever gotten.

IHF Member
    Pretty good refs Also what league You can crosscheck a player in tho their goalie so goalie fell down and after You put the puck in empty net :) that number 2 bearly can skate ...

IHF Member
    Expansion team joining the league from St. Clair Shores. Team name and jersey to be announced 18 May.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/20...ores/84169420/

IHF Member
    New team named St. Clair Shores Fighting Saints.

Logo and jersey can be seen in this article: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...eils-name-logo

Brewster has "suspended operations". I find it unlikely that they would return.

[ Story ]

"Dayton Pro Hockey", which recently dropped the Demolition name, is also going dormant for 2016-17. Apparently Hara was unavailable. Either the team couldn't afford the rent or the health department finally closed that dump down. I would say there's no chance they're coming back, but I also thought they'd fold like three different times last year. I also thought Watertown wouldn't come back, but apparently they've finished renovations to their arena and plan to take the ice this year.

[ Story ]

Well Dayton won't be playing at Hara for good reason. The arena and exhibition complex has announced it will be closing at the end of August. Personally, I think it was only a matter of time. Having seen a game there I think the building was beyond saving based on the location, the market and the amount of money that would have been needed to go into renovations to bring it up to modern standards. Still, its sad to see the place go. Hara has hosted professional hockey since the early 60's and also witnessed the professional debut of Wayne Gretzky in 1978.

[ Story ]

IHF Prospect
    I can't help noticing that the FHL is enjoying (for them) a very stable season. Everybody seems to be fulfilling their fixtures and the table looks fairly competitive? Has the unthinkable happened and the league has finally turned a corner?

If so, which league will replace it as ice hockey's most incompetent?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    I can't help noticing that the FHL is enjoying (for them) a very stable season. Everybody seems to be fulfilling their fixtures and the table looks fairly competitive? Has the unthinkable happened and the league has finally turned a corner?

If so, which league will replace it as ice hockey's most incompetent?
    And it seems they will have their own feeder league from the next season onwards...

http://www.theidhl.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    And it seems they will have their own feeder league from the next season onwards...

http://www.theidhl.com/home
    I mean, how much talent would you get from that? The FHL is pretty low level, so I'd imagine they'd be scraping the barrel to find feeder teams/players.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    I mean, how much talent would you get from that? The FHL is pretty low level, so I'd imagine they'd be scraping the barrel to find feeder teams/players.
    Yes, and you have to PAY to play in that league. $10,000 USD

Just a money making scheme.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information