17/12 Poland Japan 20.00Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok
    18/12 Ukraine Japan 13.00Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok
    18/12 Kazakhstan Hungary 16.30Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok
    18/12 France Poland 20.00Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok
    20/12 Poland Kazakhstan 13.00Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok
    20/12 Japan Hungary 16.30Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok
    20/12 France Ukraine 20.00Dunaújvárosi Jégcsarnok

IHF Prospect
    So apparently Semyon Koshelev and Yuri Sergienko won't play for Kazakhstan because they received their Russian citizenship, another couple of decent players lost to Russia. I don't get it, these guys aren't good enough for the Rus NT and they grew up in KZ, why leave?

Quote Originally Posted by barys View Post
    So apparently Semyon Koshelev and Yuri Sergienko won't play for Kazakhstan because they received their Russian citizenship, another couple of decent players lost to Russia. I don't get it, these guys aren't good enough for the Rus NT and they grew up in KZ, why leave?
    They are on KAZ preliminary roster...

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    They are, but he is referring to this news.

http://yvision.kz/post/444726

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I believe barys is right. They won't be suiting up for Kazakhstan this year. Though I don't think they are lost in a long term, as both are tied to Kazakhstan NT due to (numerous) previous appearances in tournaments for Central Asian nation and they are not good enough to actually make the team Russia senior side.

As long as KHL will view players with Kazakhstan passports as foreigners, young players aspiring to play in the league via non-Astana team will have to decline team Kazakhstan in order to maximize their chances of becoming pros.

Looking at Kazakh roster (and admittedly being completely ignorant of other team strength), I think they again should be good enough for promotion. Couple of kids are playing their trade for Ustinka in VHL like Alexandrov and Shestakov, they have KHL wrecking ball Ryspayev (formerly Mukhangaliyev) on their roster - if anything he will be an intimidating presence on ice if he makes the final cut (which he probably will as imo there is pretty strong capital based bias in national team). Also Zinchenko is back in fold again after being on hiatus last year so he will more than make up for the loss of Sergiyenko. A lot will depend on whether smallish IIHF tournament scoring machine Nikita Mikhailis will be fit to play.

Yes, the absence of Koshelev and Sergiyenko hurts their chances of winning (or rather screwing it up yet again) the tournament, but still this is the last tournament for what in my eyes is golden generation of Kazakh hockey. 96' and younger generations doesn't have nearly as much talent as these kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Looking at Kazakh roster (and admittedly being completely ignorant of other team strength), I think they again should be good enough for promotion.
    I think that hungarians will earn promotion again this year. Their U-18 (now U-20) won two promotions in a row (from Div 2A to Div 1A) and I think it will happend again with U-20 (last year played in Div 1B). They have really remarkable generation. But I see that also players from Kazakhstan are strong. So I think the both teams will play for promotion. But don't be surprised if Hungarians wins;)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I think that hungarians will earn promotion again this year. Their U-18 (now U-20) won two promotions in a row (from Div 2A to Div 1A) and I think it will happend again with U-20 (last year played in Div 1B). They have really remarkable generation. But I see that also players from Kazakhstan are strong. So I think the both teams will play for promotion. But don't be surprised if Hungarians wins;)
    No chance, buddy. If anyone besides Kazakhstan wins this tournament, it most likely will be France. Just check how Kazakhstan fared at last U18 tournament - link This team has already proved that they really belongs one tier higher that they are right now (been stating this for couple of years on this board), but they can't seem to put together 5 consecutive good games in 1B level. Yes, Koshelev who had 8 points and was named the best forward in the tournament won't be here, but they are too deep (outside goalie department) to lose against Magyars.

My prediction - if the eventual winner of the tournament won't need 5 wins to take it all, it will be Kazakhstan who will take the gold. Doesn't mean they can't win all five, but this is Kazakhstan we are talking about. Probably last tournament, when I can be cocky as Kazakhstan junior team fan for a foreseeable future. :/

No chance, buddy.
    Ok, we wil see;) Just don't be surprised if Kazakhstan will again get only silver this year and France only bronze...

IHF Prospect
    It will be interesting to see how Hungary does, I don't see them advancing against the likes of Kazakhstan and France, but you never though. We've been the favorites for the past few years and have choked every time, really hoping this is our year and we can finally get back into 1A, but it certainly won't be easy. I'll actually be in Budapest while it's going on, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to go see any games.

While I'm at it, I have to say Ukrainian roster is garbage. Only players worth singling out seems to be Lyalka and four 98' borns - previously members of Donbass academy. If they stay up, it should be classified as a good tournament outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I think it would be a huge surprise if Hungary won promotion this year. A bronze medal would be considered a success.

That said next year they will be the favourites to win the tournament. The 1996 age group appears to be one of the strongest to come out of Hungary.

IHF Prospect
    Looking good, Kaz beat Latvia 5-4 (2:0, 1:0, 1:4, 0:0, 0:1 ) in a friendly.

IHF Member
    Based on last year, it would seem all but certain that Japan is probably going to be relegated. But who is seen as the most likely candidate for promotion here? I'd want to say France or Kazakhstan, but I haven't seen their rosters yet. Thoughts?

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser_matias View Post
    Based on last year, it would seem all but certain that Japan is probably going to be relegated. But who is seen as the most likely candidate for promotion here? I'd want to say France or Kazakhstan, but I haven't seen their rosters yet. Thoughts?
    Definitely France and Kazakhstan have to be considered the favorites. I don't know much about the Polish rooster, but they played in D1A last year, so they can't be too bad. I think Kaz is fielding has one of the strongest u-20 teams in recent history and I'm really hoping they can win this year. That being said, they've been the favorites for a few straight years and havnt been able to pull it off, France will certainly put up a fight, and I'm really interested in how Hungary will do, they might be a dark horse. I wouldn't completely disregard Japan, Ukraine isn't fielding a great team and could definitely fall down to DII (I think someone else has mentioned this earlier in this thread). Overall it should a very interesting tournament, no clear favorite for either relegation or promotion in my opinion.

IHF Prospect
    The second friendly game against Latvia resulted in a worse (but not too surprising) loss 5:0 (1:0, 3:0, 1:0). A little worrying, but I'm going to blame this on fatigue.

The second friendly game against Latvia resulted in a worse (but not too surprising) loss 5:0 (1:0, 3:0, 1:0). A little worrying, but I'm going to blame this on fatigue.
    Nop, Latvia as of now is vastly superiour. We should look for reasons of their unlikely comeback yesterday, rather than think todays result is an anomaly of some sorts.

Also Ryspayev is a mindless goon. Jumped on an ice as a sixth skater with an intention to fight. In NHL he'd be automatically banned for 10 games. I can see him becoming a distraction for his own team during the tournament.

IHF Prospect
    Nop, Latvia as of now is vastly superiour. We should look for reasons of their unlikely comeback yesterday, rather than think todays result is an anomaly of some sorts.

Also Ryspayev is a mindless goon. Jumped on an ice as a sixth skater with an intention to fight. In NHL he'd be automatically banned for 10 games. I can see him becoming a distraction for his own team during the tournament.
    Latvia is definitely the better team, but imo not 5-0 better maybe more like 3-0 better, but that's beside the point. As for Ryspayev, there was a bit of controversy as to why he got on the team, all he does in the KHL is fight, and coming off the bench like that was ridiculous. Hopefully he wont do any of that crap when it matters, penalties can kill you at these tournaments.

Hopefully he wont do any of that crap when it matters
    Given that we're talking about a junior player, let's hope that PK is up to snuff.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Latvia is definitely the better team, but imo not 5-0 better maybe more like 3-0 better, but that's beside the point. As for Ryspayev, there was a bit of controversy as to why he got on the team, all he does in the KHL is fight, and coming off the bench like that was ridiculous. Hopefully he wont do any of that crap when it matters, penalties can kill you at these tournaments.
    If you would have seen the 5 periods I did in past days, you'd say 5:0 is a very fair reflection of what is going on. We never even saw all Latvia potential, as in two games we iced more than 30 players.

My prediction:
    1. Kazakhstan
    2. Hungary
    3. Poland
    4. France
    5. Japan
    6. Ukraine

IHF Prospect
    Interesting first day 2 shootouts, didn't see Japan getting points out of their game against France. Vlad your predictions are looking good so far.

Looks like Kazakhstan will get it done. They are in a great position as things stand. All the players I expected to perform like Mikhailis, Shestakov are really doing so. Shame that it is their last tournament in this level.

Also a shout-out to Ukraine. Their results are a pleasant surprise.

I expected much better result from the Hungarian national team although I do not know anything about this generation that played in Dunaujvaros. Definitely that group D1b was not easy but anyway, result is bad and next year I expect 1st place in D2a and returning on this level. Good luck to Hungary!!!
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

Thread Information