Thread: Bulgaria withdraws from 2015 U20 Div III

Bulgaria Bulgaria withdraws from 2015 U20 Div III

The Bulgarian Ice Hockey Federation withdrew from the 2015 U20 World Championship Division III tournament The NZIHF-hosted tournament will continue with the five remaining nations, China, New Zealand, Mexico, Turkey, and South Africa. This is partly due to the Bulgarians needing funding for all their national teams playing outside Europe. Most interestingly, the IIHF article states:
    Quote Originally Posted by IIHF
    Because no other eligible applicant was able to assemble a team for the event held in Dunedin, New Zealand, 19-25 January at such a short notice, the tournament will be played with the five remaining teams
    So the IIHF contacted other non-U20 member nations about trying to assemble a team?

The U20 Bulgarians played two friendlies against Macedonia earlier this year, splitting the series by shootouts.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I wonder if the decision to withdraw was based at least partly on the fact NZ was hosting.
    Travel to that country I would presume is prohibitively expensive.
    Had the tournament been held somewhere close to home maybe they'd have gone.
    At any rate, withdrawing at such a late date has left organizers in a lurch.

The Bulgarian federation came out and said that they had no choice but to withdraw due to the high cost of travel to New Zealand, on top of the fact that all of their other national teams (men's, men's U18, and women's) are playing IIHF worlds outside of Europe this year.

Israel is putting together a U20 squad for the first time. The Israeli federation recently held a joint men's-U20 camp with the new men's national team head coach (a North American from the San Jose Sharks organization, from what I hear, although I do not have firm details yet) in Metulla. They will be ready to enter the IIHF U20 D.III soon.

IHF Member
    I heard Israel made it this year, but I'm guessing false rumor?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The Bulgarian federation came out and said that they had no choice but to withdraw due to the high cost of travel to New Zealand, on top of the fact that all of their other national teams (men's, men's U18, and women's) are playing IIHF worlds outside of Europe this year.

Israel is putting together a U20 squad for the first time. The Israeli federation recently held a joint men's-U20 camp with the new men's national team head coach (a North American from the San Jose Sharks organization, from what I hear, although I do not have firm details yet) in Metulla. They will be ready to enter the IIHF U20 D.III soon.
    Not the first time. I reckon they last competed in the U20 WC in 1997 !!!

Geoff

If Israel had a team in past IIHF U20 competition, I know nothing about it. It would predate my involvement with the federation.

IHF Member
    30. Dez 96 ISR - EST Worldchampionship D Sofia, Bulgaria 3 - 12

31. Dez 96 ISR - YUG Worldchampionship D Sofia, Bulgaria 4 - 9

02. Jan 97 ISR - RSA Worldchampionship D Sofia, Bulgaria 6 - 2

03. Jan 97 ISR - BUL Worldchampionship D Sofia, Bulgaria 7 - 3
    Cheers, Franco

Thread Information