Thread: Cuba and Puerto Rico are ready to go.

Cuba and Puerto Rico are ready to go.

From yesterday's San Juan Star-Yes. the same paper HST wrote for in the Rum Diary...
    http://www.sanjuanweeklypr.com/pdf/Jan-7-15/sports.pdf
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

sorry guys I see the link is broken-I'll re-format asap

IHF Member
    Dreams are great and I wish you well. There is really no news in this at all. Neither country has any money or any ice surface. In theory they have a geographical advantage by being close to the US and Canada but investors would take a lot of persuading to put money into ice sports.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuertorico View Post
    From yesterday's San Juan Star-Yes. the same paper HST wrote for in the Rum Diary...
    http://www.sanjuanweeklypr.com/pdf/Jan-7-15/sports.pdf

Actually-PR has full time Ice and a Multiplex with Olympic size Ice. Cuba is gearing up as they also had full time Ice- Here's the entire paper that has the article as to be featured in THN. fwd to sports
    http://www.sanjuanweeklypr.com/pdf/e...s/Jan-7-15.pdf

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuertorico View Post
    Actually-PR has full time Ice and a Multiplex with Olympic size Ice. Cuba is gearing up as they also had full time Ice- Here's the entire paper that has the article as to be featured in THN. fwd to sports
    http://www.sanjuanweeklypr.com/pdf/e...s/Jan-7-15.pdf
    Pardon me, thought it had been shut down. good luck with hockey development. Is there an organised league ?

Geoff

With Cuba thawing relations with the United States, and the potential positive economic impact that could bring in the next few years, it will be interesting to see if projects like ice rinks will start to pop up in more places there. Could be interesting to see where sport development goes.

What hasn't made the Int'l news is that the Cuban baseball team and their fans are here in PR now for the first time in 53 years to participate in the Caribe Cup with Venezuela-DR-Mex and PR.As PR is a US territory,part of the embargo was that they could not earn $ here.--I'll keep you all posted.

In a situation reminiscent of Eastern Bloc hockey in the 70's and early 80's -Two Cuban players have defected while here in PR-
    Before you all get antsy and say: "hey dummy-this is a hockey post". Recall in his first interview on CBC with Peter Gzosky -Wayne Gretzky was asked what he would do if he didn't play hockey- He replied:"I'd like to play for the Oakland A's.". And recall HOF Pitcher Tom Glavine was drafted before Luc Robataille.Back in the day being a two(or more)sport athlete was common.Also of note Mexico -Venezuela-PR and ,yes,Cuba all have a history of hockey and Ice facilities.Stay warm friends.We do.

In an upset almost as big as "Miracle" Cuba shocked the beisbol world and upset favorite Mexico to win the Serie del Caribe..Hopefully this will transfer over into a hockey tourney in the future ,as we all grow ever so slowly and erratically.

Thread Information