Thread: 2015 Winter Universiade - Granada, Spain

2015 Winter Universiade - Granada, Spain

Use this thread to discuss the 2015 Winter Universiade hockey tournament, which is taking place in Granada, Spain.

As usual, Canada is sending a team from one of the CIS conferences (i.e., leagues). This time, a team made up of players from the powerful CIS Canada West conference is representing Canada at the tournament. The CIS is the top level of university hockey in Canada.

As usual, the USA is sending a team made up of players from ACHA Division I teams. ACHA D.I is the third tier of American university hockey, and is far, far below NCAA D.I standards, and significantly below NCAA D.III standards with the exception of the top ACHA D.I teams. Of course, the American squad does get the best of the best from ACHA D.I.

Europeans don't have a tradition of university hockey, or university sports, for the most part (though there are exceptions). Rather, the teams they send to this event usually consist of players playing for various teams in various leagues (but not university teams in university leagues) who also happen to study at a university aside from playing hockey (or, in some cases, are given free tuition to take a single class at a university so that they can qualify to play in this event).

Canadian roster can be found here: http://www.canadawest.org/sports/mic...20141209co41mp

There are three pools as follows:

Pool A - Spain, Slovakia, Czech Republic and China

Pool B - Canada, Russia, Sweden and South Korea

Pool C - Kazakhstan, USA and Japan

To be honest, I have no idea how the schedule works, considering the uneven Pool C.

South Korea and Japan both have strong university hockey and should be very competitive. Either could conceivably win a medal.

Canada will be a favorite to win the tournament. I do not expect the USA to medal.

I have no idea what level of teams the Slovaks and Czechs will send. My guess is that their rosters will not be players who are playing for actual university teams, but rather for clubs in their respective 1 & 2 Ligas. I don't see either winning, but they could compete for medals.

If Russia sends a VHL representative team, they will, along with Canada, be favorites for gold.

Kazakhstan usually sends a Kazakh league representative team and likewise will contend for a medal. I expect that they will win one.

Sweden usually sends a very low level team (i.e., the players usually come from Swedish fourth or fifth tier) and I do not expect much from them assuming that is the case again.

I have no idea what kind of team the host Spaniards are entering. If they are putting their national team in there, and claiming that they all attend university classes, they will be competitive but won't medal. Anything less than that and they will take bad beatings. China is in a similar position - but I don't think they'd be competitive even with their full national team.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 02-02-2015 at 06:40.

Here are highlights from the last Universiade's medal games, from 2013 in Italy - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LXK7REMFg2E

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    As usual, the USA is sending a team made up of players from ACHA Division I teams. ACHA D.I is the third tier of American university hockey, and is far, far below NCAA D.I standards, and significantly below NCAA D.III standards with the exception of the top ACHA D.I teams. Of course, the American squad does get the best of the best from ACHA D.I.
    But the best of the best hasn't been nearly good enough, as the past seven tournament results indicate.
    Team USA's 4th place finish in 2013 was actually the best by far...at least they were playing for a medal on the last day.
    The other six tournaments Team USA was completely out of the running.
    2003, especially was embarrassing....0-5 and an 11th place finish.

It's too bad USA Hockey and/or the NCAA has such little regard for this competition.
    There is no reason why a much better representative cannot be sent.
    Yes the timing of this tournament is not good for D1 and D3 schools who are at the critical phase of their schedules.
    Nevertheless, couldn't a squad of D1 players from teams already eliminated from playoff contention be assembled to represent?
    It certainly would be an improvement.
    No disrespect to the ACHA, but USA Hockey can and should do better.

Well, they send the best from the third tier of American college hockey, which, again, is significantly below NCAA D.3 standards. The best ACHA D.I teams typically play pretty evenly against low-end, possibly even average NCAA D.3 teams. But that's it. I agree that an NCAA rep team should be sent.....even an NCAA D.3 rep team would be a good step up in level.

The timing of the tournament is bad for CIS teams also, but Canada always steps up and sends a rep team from one of the CIS conferences. Canada would be even scarier if they took a true CIS all star team representing the very best of the CIS instead of simply the best from a certain CIS conference each time.

The first three games have been played. Scores are as follows:

RUSSIA 5, SWEDEN 1

KAZAKHSTAN 3, JAPAN 2

CANADA 11, SOUTH KOREA 1

Either Russia sent a lower level team than past teams, Sweden sent a higher level team than past teams, Russia played really poorly, or Sweden played really well. Or some combination. I wonder what it was.

South Korea hung in there against Canada for 20 minutes......it was a 1-1 tie after the first period before Canada exploded. They did badly outshoot the Koreans throughout the game.

The USA played host Spain in an exhibition/tuneup game, with the USA crushing Spain by a 12-1 score. I do not know how many of its national team members that Spain may have in this event, or, if it has any, whether they played in this game.

IHF Member
    Spain has 10 players from last season WC Division IIB event.

http://wuni15.sportresult.com/HIDE/e...4-9c370ab3d063

February 4, 2015 scores:

CZECH REPUBLIC 6, SLOVAKIA 3
    This one was never close except when it was initially 0-0. The Czechs jumped out to a 2-0 first period lead and never looked back, leading the entire way. Shots on goal were 49-17 for the Czechs.

SPAIN 8, CHINA 0
    The hosts, using a large number of Spanish national team regulars, crushed the Chinese. Anders Alcaine, Alejandro Pedraz and Juan Munoz are university students? Really? OK, then. Shots on goal were an overwhelming 79-22 for Spain (26-8, 30-6, 23-8). Despite all of that, it was 0-0 until the final half-minute of the first period, and it was only 3-0 after forty minutes.

February 5, 2015 scores:

RUSSIA 13, SOUTH KOREA 0
    Complete domination for the Russians. Shots on goal were 65-14, and the score was 5-0 before the ten minute mark.

CANADA 7, SWEDEN 0
    An unusual score between these two nations - but Canada sends a high level team to this event, whereas Sweden sends a very low level team. Shots on goal were 59-10 for Canada (23-3, 13-5, 23-2).

JAPAN 3, USA 2
    Perhaps a surprise, perhaps not, considering that the USA sends an ACHA D.I selects team, waaaaay below the level of an NCAA D.I selects team and very significantly below the level of an NCAA D.3 selects team. Also surprising because the Americans dominated play, outshooting the Japanese 52-22. Japan scored a shorthanded goal late in the second period to take a 1-0 lead into the third, and opened a 3-0 third period lead on two power play goals. The USA struck back with two goals, one on a penalty shot, and one during a power play and with the goalie pulled with under two minutes left, but it wasn't enough.

Here's the entire Russia-Sweden game from February 3, 2015: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3MZGCqrJ3g

February 6, 2015 scores:

CZECH REPUBLIC 5, SPAIN 2
    An odd score between these two nations, but then again, this is an odd event. Obviously this Czech team is not close to a top level Czech IIHF squad, whereas Spain is using 10 of its national team players. The Czechs still utterly dominated, outshooting their hosts by a 71-15 count, including 57-9 over the first two periods. Of course, Anders Alcaine, Spain's top goaltender and best national team player (& I question whether he is truly a university student at all) was why this game stayed respectable, as he stopped 66 shots.

SLOVAKIA 13, CHINA 1
    So we learned that a Slovak C or D squad will still utterly decimate a Chinese B squad. Surprised? Of course not. SOG were 64-11 for the Slovaks and the game was never close.

Alcaine rejected offers from LM, Allsvenskan and Mestis clubs so he could continue his studies in Spain, it was even a bit of a so-so comment because he said it wasnt his goal to return to Spain but did so for studies.

There was just an interview with Pedrez this summer on Eurohockey about why he returned to Spain instead of moving through the Finnish ranks, and it was because of University.

Here's a 2012 interview with Alcaine where he alluded to his return to Spain for university and the possibility to do so in Spain with the limited ice time in the league.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    February 6, 2015 scores:

CZECH REPUBLIC 5, SPAIN 2
    An odd score between these two nations, but then again, this is an odd event. Obviously this Czech team is not close to a top level Czech IIHF squad, whereas Spain is using 10 of its national team players. The Czechs still utterly dominated, outshooting their hosts by a 71-15 count, including 57-9 over the first two periods. Of course, Anders Alcaine, Spain's top goaltender and best national team player (& I question whether he is truly a university student at all) was why this game stayed respectable, as he stopped 66 shots.

SLOVAKIA 13, CHINA 1
    So we learned that a Slovak C or D squad will still utterly decimate a Chinese B squad. Surprised? Of course not. SOG were 64-11 for the Slovaks and the game was never close.
    While there are a number of reps from strong hockey nations here that have been disappointingly weak, the same can't be said for Canada and Russia's men's teams.
    After two periods it is Canada 3 Russia 3,with SOG also even at 20-20.
    I don't think I am going out on a limb to say this has been by far the most entertaining match in this tournament.
    A strong bet these two will face each other again in the gold medal match.

Well, I stand corrected about the Spanish team. Thanks for the information.

Wondering whether of the Russian or Kazakh guys are actually students though, considering they are full time pro players.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 08-02-2015 at 02:23.

Exciting and competitive day of hockey at the Universiade today. Let's recap the February 7, 2015 games:

SWEDEN 5, SOUTH KOREA 4 (shootout)
    Sweden led 2-0 after 20 minutes and the SOG were even at 7-7. Korea outshot the Swedes 16-9 in the second period and tied the game 2-2. Sweden outshot the Koreans 13-7 in the third and seized a 3-2 lead in the first minute of the third, but South Korea rallied less than a minute later to tie things 3-3, and went on to seize a 4-3 lead on a shorthanded goal. Sweden scored a power play goal to tie the game at 4-4, before outshooting the Koreans 5-2 in overtime and winning the shootout.

CANADA 5, RUSSIA 3
    The two best teams in the tournament met early in a battle between classic foes. Russia led 2-0 after the first period, outshooting the Canadians 12-8 along the way. Canada rallied in the second period, tying the game 2-2 in the first 1:36. Russia seized a 3–2 lead before Canada tied the game again at 3-3 after forty minutes. Canada outshot Russia 12-8 in the second period. Canada seized a 4-3 lead on a power play goal in the first minute of the third period, and scored at 5:47 of the third period to provide the final margin of 5-3. Meanwhile, the Russians outshot Canada 13-5 in the third period and 33-25 for the game, but fell short. In addition, Canada was whistled for 24 minutes in penalties to Russia's 12, but still found a way to win. A team of CIS players from the Canada West conference beat a team of professionals from the VHL.......nice win for Canada.

USA 3, KAZAKHSTAN 2 (shootout)
    Surprising and very important win for the Americans after dropping their opener to Japan. Kazakhstan outshot the USA 40-31 in a very hard fought game. The Americans led 1-0 after the first and 2-0 very early in the second. Kazakhstan struck back midway through the second period, but the USA led 2-1 after forty minutes. The Kazakhs tied the game with 59 seconds left in regulation to force overtime, where the teams traded chances before the Americans won the shootout. Great win for a bunch of ACHA kids over professional players. Power play chances favored Kazakhstan, as the penalty minutes were 22 against the USA and only 6 against Kazakhstan, including 12-0 in the third period.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 08-02-2015 at 02:26.

I am assuming that China's team is probably a selection of Harbin and Qiqihar players who do not play for the China Dragon. In any event, they are only down 1-0 to the Czech Republic after twenty minutes, despite getting outshot 33-1. The Czech goal came on the power play with 8 seconds left in the first period. I expect that the final score will be ugly.

February 8, 2015:

CZECH REPUBLIC 9, CHINA 0
    The fact that the Chinese were able to keep this game under double digits was a miracle for them. Shots on goal were Czech Republic 101, China 4 (33-1, 36-2, 32-1). The game was only 4-0 after the second period, and it was only 6-0 with just over 4 minutes to play before the Czechs added the final three goals.

February 8, 2015:

SLOVAKIA 5, SPAIN 2
    Anders Alcaine was again giant in net for Spain, as Slovakia outshot them 59-29. The game was tied 1-1 after the first period. Slovakia jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the second period. They led 5-1 in the third before Spain added a goal with 5 seconds left. Both of Spain's goals came on the power play.

On February 10th, we will have a trio of qualification games before the quarterfinals. Japan vs. China (winner plays Kazakhstan in the quarterfinals), Spain vs. South Korea (winner plays Czech Republic in the quarterfinals), and USA vs. Sweden (winner plays Canada in the quarterfinals). The last quarterfinal is already set, as Russia will face Slovakia.

The USA should beat Sweden and end up facing Canada. If they lose, then they should hang their heads in shame. If they win as they should, I'd expect Canada to beat them convincingly, but I am very interested to see just how tough a team of ACHA D.I selects can play a team of CIS Canada West selects.

IHF Member
    The USA should beat Sweden and end up facing Canada. If they lose, then they should hang their heads in shame.
    Well if the US does lose to Sweden it won't be for lack of trying.
    Team USA peppered Swedish goalie Arvid Ljung with 20 first period shots but none got by him.
    It is 0-0 after one period despite a 20-6 US SOG advantage.
    You would think inevitably the Americans will win it but one never knows.

Qualification games, February 10, 2015:

JAPAN 12, CHINA 3
    China actually hung around for two periods, despite being outshot 51-15 after forty minutes. Japan led 3-0 before the game was 8 1/2 minutes old. China then struck for two goals to close within 3-2. Japan added a goal and it was 4-2 after the first period. The score was only 5-3 after the second period. Japan outshot China 32-0 in the third period and outscored them 7-0. Final shots on goal were 83-15 Japan.

SOUTH KOREA 4, SPAIN 3
    A hard fought game. Shots favored the Koreans 36-24. South Korea led 2-0 en route to a 3-1 first period lead. Anders Alcaine was actually pulled after the first period and returned late in the third. Spain closed to within 3-2 in the second period, and that was the score after forty minutes. South Korea scored a goal with under two minutes remaining. The Spanish replied only 13 seconds later, but it was too little, too late. Alcaine gave up 3 goals on 16 shots, whereas backup Ignacio Garcia made 19 saves on 20 shots.

USA 4, SWEDEN 1
    This low level Swedish team hung around despite getting heavily outshot 61-18. It was 0-0 after the first period and Sweden actually led 1-0 before the USA replied about halfway through the game to tie the score at 1-1. Sweden had a chance to seize the lead on a penalty shot, but the American goalie made the save. The game remained tied at 1-1 heading into the third period before the Americans pulled away.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 12-02-2015 at 03:17.

Quarterfinals, February 11, 2015:

RUSSIA 7, SLOVAKIA 0
    This was an odd game.

Russia outshot Slovakia 18-4 in the first period and led 3-0.

Slovakia outshot Russia 14-7 in the second period but there was no scoring.

Russia outshot Slovakia 22-5 in the third period and added 4 more goals.

Final shots on goal favored the Russians 47-23.

CZECH REPUBLIC 12, SOUTH KOREA 0
    The Czechs absolutely crushed the South Koreans, outshooting them 43-3 over the first two periods and 59-13 for the game. The score was 5-0 after the first period and 9-0 after the second. The Czechs held a 16-10 shots advantage in the third and added 3 more goals.

KAZAKHSTAN 4, JAPAN 1
    Kazakhstan led 2-0 after the first period and 2-1 after the second before adding 2 more goals in the third. Shots on goal favored Kazakhstan 28-23 (11-5, 6-11, 11-7).

CANADA 4, USA 0
    This was a surprisingly hard fought game, considering that Canada came in as heavy favorites. Canada's team is made up of selects from the strong Canada West conference of the top Canadian university tier CIS, whereas the American squad is made up of selects from the third American university tier ACHA D.I. Shots did favor the Canadians 42-20, but the game was 0-0 until the Canadians scored twice in the final 2 1/2 minutes of the first period, and the score remained 2-0 into the third period. Canada added an early third period goal and then the final goal inside the final minute.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 12-02-2015 at 03:52.

Anders Alcaine wants to return to being a pro hockey player (as opposed to semipro in Spain), and eventually wants to be a dentist, which is what his studies are geared towards. He even has a characterized tooth with toothbrush on the back of his mask.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbExsDZrIxk

February 12, 2015 placement game scores/recaps:

SWEDEN 5, SPAIN 1
    Spain jumped out to a 1-0 lead inside the first two minutes on a power play goal. After that, this surprising Swedish team took over. Sweden outshot Spain 18-8 in the first period, but the hosts actually outshot the Swedes 23-20 the rest of the way. Final SOG were 38-31 Sweden. Sweden led 2–1 after the first and added the rest of their goals in the second.

SLOVAKIA 5, USA 4 (shootout)
    This was a strange and wild game. The Slovaks jumped to a 2-0 lead a minute and a half into the game, and led 3-0 late in the first when the teams traded goals in about the last three minutes. The first period ended with Slovakia holding a commanding 4-1 lead, despite the Americans outshooting them 17-14. The USA outshot Slovakia 17-10 in the second period and rallied to within 4-3, with the third goal being a shorthanded goal. The Americans dominated the third period, outshooting the Slovaks 20-9. Ultimately, the USA pulled its goalie and tied the game 4-4 with only 5 seconds left in regulation. Slovakia outshot the USA 4-2 in the five minute OT before winning the shootout on a goal by Gapa - the only one of the shootout. SOG favored the Americans 56-38, but Juraj Halo had a strong game in goal for Slovakia and the USA couldn't overcome a poor goaltending performance by Joseph Olen in the first period. Had Matt Cooper (the USA #1 goaltender in this event) played the entire game, the result may have been different. Full credit to the Slovaks though - they found a way to win despite blowing the 4-1 lead.

JAPAN 4, SOUTH KOREA 1
    Japan won the battle of these two arch-rivals. Korea led 1-0 early, but the Japanese tied it soon after, and the first period ended 1-1. The score remained 1–1 through 40 minutes. Japan pulled away early in the third period and outshot South Korea 47-24.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 14-02-2015 at 19:25.

February 13, 2015 placement game:

SPAIN 8, CHINA 2
    Spain once again crushed the overmatched Chinese, though it was only 1-0 after the first period. And the shots on goal were "only" 59-21. Ignacio Garcia played the whole game in goal for Spain.

USA 8, SOUTH KOREA 3
    South Korea outshot the USA 8-7 in the first period and led 1-0 early, though the first period ended as a 1-1 tie. The Americans exploded in the second period, outshooting the Koreans 25-8 and leading 5-1 after 40 minutes. Final SOG favored the USA 46-24.

Semifinals, February 13, 2015:

RUSSIA 3, CANADA 2 (shootout)
    Russia avenged a 5-3 loss to Canada in the preliminary round. This was a hard fought game. SOG favored Canada 39-34, although Russia outshot them 12-7 in the first and led 1-0 after one period. It was 1-1 after two periods and Canada held a 2-1 third period lead before Russia tied it up. After a scoreless 5-minute overtime, Russia scored on both of its shootout attempts, while Canada missed both of its chances.

KAZAKHSTAN 2, CZECH REPUBLIC 1
    Mikhail Smolnikov was the story of this game. The Czechs held a 41-13 shots on goal advantage, but it was the Kazakh team holding a 2-0 third period edge, and the Czechs didn't score against Smolnikov until there were less than 10 minutes left.

SLOVAKIA 8, JAPAN 3
    This was a much closer game than the score indicates. For a start, Japan outshot Slovakia 37-26. SOG through two periods were 20-16 Japan before the Japanese outshot the Slovaks 17-10 in the third period. Slovakia led 2-1 after the first period and 3-2 after the second period. Slovakia only led 4-3 with just over 11 minutes to play. Despite getting outshot as indicated in the third period, the Slovaks scored on literally half of their shots to blow the game open.

February 14, 2015 placement game:

SWEDEN 4, CHINA 0
    Not much to say for this one, other than Zehao Sun played very well in goal for China, with 73 saves on 77 shots. His backup stopped both shots he faced. Sweden outshot China 79-11, including 30-1 in the second period - which was scoreless thanks to Sun's strong play.

Bronze medal game, February 14, 2015:

CANADA 6, CZECH REPUBLIC 2
    The Czechs outshot Canada 16-14 in the first period but trailed 2-0 after twenty minutes. They then outshot Canada 13-7 in the second period and scored to cut Canada's lead to 2-1 heading into the third period. The Czech Republic did tie the game 2-2 on an early third period shorthanded goal. However, the Canadians outshot the Czechs 13-5 in the third period and added four straight goals, including an empty netter, to secure the bronze medal.

Gold medal game, February 14, 2015:

RUSSIA 3, KAZAKHSTAN 1
    A hard fought final game saw Kazakhstan outshoot the mother country 31-29. However, Russia outshot Kazakhstan 13-6 in the first period and seized a 2-0 lead. Kazakhstan outshot Russia 13-6 in the second but saw Russia extend its lead to 3-0. Kazakhstan scored the only third period goal, but settles for silver the second straight time at this event.

Final ranking:

1. RUSSIA
    2. KAZAKHSTAN
    3. CANADA
    4. CZECH REPUBLIC
    5. SLOVAKIA
    6. JAPAN
    7. USA
    8. SOUTH KOREA
    9. SWEDEN
    10.SPAIN
    11.CHINA

If I'm not mistaken, with Kazakhstan hosting the next Universiade, China will be ineligible to return. The FISU regulations state the last place team cannot return. However, that is geared towards the maximum of 12 teams allowable in the tournament.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

I'd like to see Israel play this event. They would have a very young team and would take a pounding like China, but it would be a good chance to expose their young players to competition beyond what they see at home in the various Israeli domestic leagues, or in the IIHF world championship levels that they compete in.

Video highlights, bronze medal game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLhXNAUFEDI

Video highlights, gold medal game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYMw_-0OVo

Here are excerpts from the IIHF's article about Russia's win at the 2015 Universiade ice hockey event, reprinted here for educational, discussion and archival purposes:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRANADA, Spain – On Valentine’s Day the ice hockey tournament of the 27th Winter Universiade in Granada, Spain, came to an end. The Russian men’s team followed the women’s team by winning gold.

In the final 5,500 spectators saw the Russians defeat Kazakhstan in a neighbouring clash. It was Kazakhstan’s second gold-medal game appearance in a row after playing the final in Trentino 2013 and losing against Canada.

Russia, which boasted a roster featuring 10 players with KHL experience, was in the hunt for their sixth Universiade triumph since 1993. The former USSR had previously also captured five titles.

The finals put the next two hosts of the Winter Universiade facing each other. Kazakhstan will host the 28th Winter Universiade in 2017 in Almaty while Russia will host the 29th edition in 2019 in Krasnoyarsk.

Russia dominated the game and defeated their opponents 3-1 winning the men’s ice hockey gold after already pocketing the women’s two days earlier.

Timur Shingareyev opened the scoring early in the game while Yegor Krivchenko netted another goal ten minutes later. Alexander Torchenyuk scored a third goal in the second period. Kazakhstan only managed to surprise goalie Sergei Belov once with a Renat Safin goal.

Thread Information