Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Champions Hockey League 2015

In fairness Marc, Bern lost to both LHC and IHK in a shootout, no reason at all why they couldn't win their last one and still make the playoff round. And if they win, they're in (not 100% but fairly certain).
    Zug likewise isn't eliminated... though granted they'd have to win both their remaining games to get that second spot and that's unlikely at best, it's not impossible either.
    Davos has its group... not 100% locked up, but 85% there. One point clinches it, or Dynamo taking a single point from FBK.
    Fribourg is the only Swiss club actually eliminated thus far.
    Geneva is sitting last in their group, but have a reasonable shot at winning it outright. By all reports they completely outplayed Storhamar in a 0:3 loss, but I fully expect them to avenge the loss in the return leg. They also beat Sparta in OT, but no reason to think they couldn't repeat that feat. 5 points in those 2 games and Geneva are first in the group.
    Zurich have the group locked up barring a massive collapse in the return game against Berlin.
    All in all, that's not so terrible a record thus far, 45% win% is a bit low, but there's reason to think it will go up before the round robin is done.

SonderjyskE in Group C isn't eliminated... if they can pull a single point from HV71 (or, if HV71 allows them to)... which if it happens eliminates Salzburg.
    Group D: I don't see Nitra getting back into this group.
    Group F standings are misleading. Neither Espoo or Litvinov has dramatically blown out Grenoble, and the first game between them was a mere 1:0 final for Litvinov. Nothing saying that Espoo can't win the head-to-head on aggregate and tie in points to take the group.
    DEG likewise in Group G isn't impossible to win the group, with 2 games to go they need both wins in regulation. But it could happen.
    Klagenfurt is just hoping for a single win against Kosice, by 2 goals or more, to get into the playoff round. That's all it would take.
    Grodno isn't eliminated, but Ostrava has two games to clinch the second spot in Group I, including the head-to-head with Grodno. Good show early, but the Belarussians don't have enough talent to make it through IMO.
    Vienna-Krefeld for the second spot in Group J. Caps aren't winning against Karpat, so that game will decide the second spot. I have to give the Penguins the advantage at home.
    Stavanger probably has the slight advantage for second place in Group L, as both they and Trinec need to play KalPa. The Finns should walk away with the group.

Nitra has Michal Valent to thank for only getting shut out 2-0. Shots were a staggering 58-13 and he saved a penalty shot. Totally outclassed as a whole.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Fantastic first period is Ostrava, the atmosphere is amazing, both sides fan clubs are doing a great job. A better performance from Grodno so far, playing the typical road match, doing a good job of clogging up the middle and keeping Vítkovice to the outside when they do finally gain the zone. I just dont think they will be able to hold on for an entire match, not unless they open the scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Nitra has Michal Valent to thank for only getting shut out 2-0. Shots were a staggering 58-13 and he saved a penalty shot. Totally outclassed as a whole.
    Which is a real shame considering Liberec has been a pretty poor to just average club the past few years. Nitra played so poor in both their meetings, got crushed 9:0 on home ice and then gave that performance.

Nope, not able to hold on for Grodno so Vítkovice has taken the second spot in Group I. Wasnt a poor showing, they just didnt have enough but full credit and look forward to their performance in the BOL, see if they can keep up with Soligorsk. Speaking of such, I hope they are able to capture the Continental Cup because I would love to see their roster here.

Wooo, LM is on the board with Grenoble upsetting Espoo!! Unfortunately they lose the tie-breaker and will miss the knock-out phase even if Litvínov wins on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Fantastic first period is Ostrava, the atmosphere is amazing, both sides fan clubs are doing a great job. A better performance from Grodno so far, playing the typical road match, doing a good job of clogging up the middle and keeping Vítkovice to the outside when they do finally gain the zone. I just dont think they will be able to hold on for an entire match, not unless they open the scoring.

Which is a real shame considering Liberec has been a pretty poor to just average club the past few years. Nitra played so poor in both their meetings, got crushed 9:0 on home ice and then gave that performance.
    That was really embarassing from Nitra, well at least they weren't all that bad in the games against a SHL team.

And Košice managed to squeak in into the next round, I suppose they likely played much better in their second game against KAC looking at the SOG as they were pretty unisinpired in the away game despite the win.

Good on the Norwegian teams for performing so well.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    That was really embarassing from Nitra, well at least they weren't all that bad in the games against a SHL team.

And Košice managed to squeak in into the next round, I suppose they likely played much better in their second game against KAC looking at the SOG as they were pretty unisinpired in the away game despite the win.

Good on the Norwegian teams for performing so well.
    Thats what makes their results against Liberec even more puzzling, Skellefteå has been a powerhouse club in the SHL the past few years. Five straight finals and double Champions, yet Nitra does well against them and terrible against the club who has seen the relegation round and out in the First Round

Well Gap wasnt able to win by six goals but much like LM counterparts, they bow out of the CHL with a victory and a very impressive win as well.

Round of 32 draw will happen on Tuesday.

Well Gap wasnt able to win by six goals but much like LM counterparts, they bow out of the CHL with a victory and a very impressive win as well.

Round of 32 draw will happen on Tuesday.
    I decided to purchase the game pass for this one. Was hoping they could do it. Fine effort though!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Round of 32 Draw and complete knock-out phase bracket

IHF Member
    League statistics after group stage by % of points taken

1. SHL (SWE) 81.3%
    2. Ligaen (NOR) 66.7%
    3. LIIGA (FIN) 58.3%
    4. Extraliga (CZE) 52.8%
    5. DEL (GER) 50%
    6. NLA (SWI) 43.1%
    7. Extraliga (BLR) 25%
    7. EBEL (AUT) 25%
    7. Extraliga (SVK) 25%
    7. Ligue (FRA) 25%
    7. Ligaen (DEN) 25%
    12. EIHL (GBR) 12.5%

SHL clearly dominates table with amazing 81.3% of points taken. Two SHL clubs played in Final last season and certainly they continue their dominance also in group stage this season.

Biggest this season surprise - 2nd place goes to Norwegian Ligaen with 2/3 of possible points taken - who could expect such performance before tournament?

Liiga clubs went down from 73% to 58% which allowed them to keep 3rd place.

Last games were not very good for DEL as they droped from 3rd place to 5th which allowed CZE Extraliga take 4th place.

Somehow disappointing 6th position for NLA clubs with only 43.1% of points taken.

Second part of table is split eaqually between 5 leagues all with 25% of possible points taken.

Table bottom goes to EIHL.

NLA is quite disappointing, especially as I thought more than a few of their losses were very winnable games for them.
    SHL is a top-3 worldwide league, and they're showing it right now. I'd say that right now they'd be giving KHL a serious run for its money if the K was participating here.

Quote Originally Posted by JankS View Post
    Biggest this season surprise - 2nd place goes to Norwegian Ligaen with 2/3 of possible points taken - who could expect such performance before tournament?

Second part of table is split eaqually between 5 leagues all with 25% of possible points taken.
    I would never say I expected it from Stavanger and Storhamar as a whole because I would clearly be lying. However, I did expect the performance from Stavanger, they played fantastic last season and only missed the knock-out phase because of the stupid tie-breaker rules. Storhamar on the other hand really surprised me with their performance, didnt think they would get embarrassed, especially coming off how they played last season against Stavanger but kudos to them.

On that note, I think Storhamar got themselves a very nice draw in the Round of 32. Salzburg hasnt been that impressive so far this season and given the way Storhamar plays I could seen them advancing. Stavanger I believe got the harder draw but Berlin....you can fear them because they have been European Champions and DEL heavyweights but have gone down hill the past few years, plus, Gap upset them on the final day of round robin. I would love to see them advance to take on Skellefteå, I would probably have to fly up there to go see those matches live.

Im really impressed with both Grenoble and Gap, they did the Ligue Magnus proud.

I just love the fact that there's no 0% league this year. Some leagues were clearly less competitive, but it's not SO far out of whack when every league manages a win against top-league teams.

IHF Staff
    I think for this statistic to be really meaningful one would have to control for the strength of the opponents a team from one particular league has in its group (however this is done). Especially for leagues with few teams in the competition such as Norway it might be the case that they were simply lucky to be drawn into a group with ceteris paribus "weaker" opponents than their peers.

On that note, I think Storhamar got themselves a very nice draw in the Round of 32. Salzburg hasnt been that impressive so far this season and given the way Storhamar plays I could seen them advancing.
    My exact thoughts when I seen the draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    I just love the fact that there's no 0% league this year. Some leagues were clearly less competitive, but it's not SO far out of whack when every league manages a win against top-league teams.
    I'd still love to see a Qualifiying round. Say UK, DEN, FRA ,NOR - rather then just throwing them all in against much, much better leagues. Sure upsets will happen but it will be rare I think. AND yes I'm being biased because the UK teams will always suck :D

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    I'd still love to see a Qualifiying round. Say UK, DEN, FRA ,NOR - rather then just throwing them all in against much, much better leagues. Sure upsets will happen but it will be rare I think. AND yes I'm being biased because the UK teams will always suck :D
    Now probably AUT, BLR or SVK teams in Qualifying round instead of NOR teams.

My exact thoughts when I seen the draw!

How rare? Danish team won a game. Belarussian too. Norwegians went crazy. French squads won two games between them. Even the British clubs managed to pull a win out of their hats for the second year in a row.
    It's not THAT rare, from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    I think for this statistic to be really meaningful one would have to control for the strength of the opponents a team from one particular league has in its group (however this is done). Especially for leagues with few teams in the competition such as Norway it might be the case that they were simply lucky to be drawn into a group with ceteris paribus "weaker" opponents than their peers.
    Hopefully CHL will develop a ranking system to get get more fair groups in future seasons. The HV71 coach actually mentioned "getting better ranking" when talking about motivation before the final game against Salzburg. Has anyone else heard about a ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    How rare? Danish team won a game. Belarussian too. Norwegians went crazy. French squads won two games between them. Even the British clubs managed to pull a win out of their hats for the second year in a row.
    It's not THAT rare, from the looks of it.
    True! Probably a bad way to word it from me, especially this season :D

Just 500 or so in attendance for the Djugardens game. Why don't the Swedish fans care about the Inter-Europe play?

Djurgården played at home in front of 8000 fans on the 19th and will play at home again tomorrow, I believe that has a lot to do with it. And CHL is still not regarded as an important tournament by Swedish fans.

My personal theory is that it has to do with the fact that certain teams has "bought" their way into the league, something that goes against the grain of Swedish league traditions.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    My personal theory is that it has to do with the fact that certain teams has "bought" their way into the league, something that goes against the grain of Swedish league traditions.
    I'm with them 100% on this topic. Far too many teams get auto spot in the championship. It will get stale, fast, if that's how they are going to keep the format.

IHF Member
    I'm with them 100% on this topic. Far too many teams get auto spot in the championship. It will get stale, fast, if that's how they are going to keep the format.
    I agree, but this is by far not the worst thing - I also remember their ' NO' against Jokerit participation without any reasoning. Event which resulted in KHL clubs not participating.

Stilll there are also many positive things - matches are interesting, level of play is high and there are many spectators in Germany, Switzerland and not also not bad numbers for some games Finland.

IHF Staff
    I also think that while the competition is still kind of bloated with 48 teams (too much imho, 32 would be ok) and lacks KHL representatives it is nevertheless interesting and going the right way. Spectator interest is picking up and certain teams and games draw well already. It will definitely take a few more years but the chance of it becoming the crown of the European club hockey is there.

I agree, but this is by far not the worst thing - I also remember their ' NO' against Jokerit participation without any reasoning. Event which resulted in KHL clubs not participating.

Stilll there are also many positive things - matches are interesting, level of play is high and there are many spectators in Germany, Switzerland and not also not bad numbers for some games Finland.
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    I also think that while the competition is still kind of bloated with 48 teams (too much imho, 32 would be ok) and lacks KHL representatives it is nevertheless interesting and going the right way. Spectator interest is picking up and certain teams and games draw well already. It will definitely take a few more years but the chance of it becoming the crown of the European club hockey is there.
    I agree, it is early days and I'm sure the format will end up as the right one. Obviously KHL taking part would be extra special.. maybe in the future?

IHF Member
    It`s been and awsome run for Storhamar Hockey (Not Storhamar Dragons, not Storhamar Hamar, but Storhamar for fuck sake.) this CHL. Good attendence at home and lots of people (for Norwegian standar) ont he road. About 400 people in Praha, and between 100-200 in Geneve and Salzburg. Probably the same for the game in Turku next month.

I love this tournament, not just because we are fucking good at it, but you get the chance to see some nice cityes and travel alot. For a league that usually dont change lot of teams in the series, its very very good to meet other people and teams. its was a big different to go from Geneve with 100-150 fans singing in the CHL to the league game in lørenskog with only 6 singing fans.

Next up is TPS, our coach Alexander Smirnov, used to play for the TPS before he came to Storhamar in 95, so we got a bit of history between us.
    Norwegian jerseycollector.

www.storhamargameworn.com

I've unlocked the results thread if anyone has the time to help enter recent results. Thanks in advance for any help!

So with Blues Espoo declaring bankruptcy, what will happen if they cease operations? Will HV71 get the bye to the QF? Or default the games?

As HV71 is already eliminated it is my guess that Kärpät Oulu will get a bye to the SF if Espoo folds... But that is just a guess.

HV71 was eliminated by Espoo, which is why I ask the question... would they just get the spot for that series since the winner is unable to continue.
    This is a bit uncharted for the CHL, will be a good test to see how well and quickly they respond to this kind of adversity.

IHF Member
    Is this bankruptcy oficially confirmed?

which bankruptcy?

I read some Swedish language newspapers from Finland (www.hbl.fi) and there it says that Blues has 7 days to respond to the request for bankruptcy that was filed by one of their creditors. Apparently this is not the first time such a petition has been made, the Blues was in the same situation in January.

So perhaps everything will resolve itself during next week...

IHF Member
    Champions Hockey League semifinal, 1st game

Karpat - Lukko 3:2
    Indians - Davos 5:0

IHF Member
    So tomorrow best hockey team will be announced in final:

Karpat - Frolunda Indians

IHF Member
    CHL Final:

Karpat - Frolunda Indians 1:2

Congratulations Frolunda Indians!