Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future National Team Players - David Levin

Hybrid View

IHF Member

Future National Team Players - David Levin

"As a highly regarded right winger with the Don Mills Flyers AAA minor midget team, Levin is eligible to be drafted into the OHL, where he’ll develop his skills with the world’s best junior-aged players. It’s a stepping stone – a tall one, with many chances to stumble and fall – to the National Hockey League."
    - See more at: http://www.cjnews.com/index.php?q=no....o7ZpLYv5.dpuf

Hoping he does well and makes it to the NHL one day. I am told that the IIHF has already cleared him to play for Israel in world championship competition.

According to Eliteprospects he's a dual Israeli/Russian citizen.... born in Tel Aviv, does he have the time-spent in Israeli clubs to qualify as a future national team player?

Yes. He played in Israel throughout his youth; he learned the game there. I am advised that the IIHF has already vetted him.

IHF Member
    Another article about Levin from the Sudbury Star, since the Sudbury Wolves hold the first overall pick in the OHL draft this year.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2015/0...a-game-breaker

Also, here are the highlights from week's OHL Cup Final between Levin's Don Mills Flyers and the Toronto Marlies. Levin set up the tying goal to force OT

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...up-win-flyers/

Sudbury has announced that they will draft Levin first overall in tomorrow's OHL draft. And yes, he learned the game in Israel, as decribed in this Hockey News article. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is...the-ohl-draft/

IHF Member
    Does he go with U-18 (if his season is still going????) or Senior team next year?

If he plays for Israel, it will be for the senior (mens') team.

IHF Member
    One more article about Levin from the CJN, talking about him being drafted by Sudbury, and the last line of this one was rather interesting.

"Though Israeli, he hopes to make Team Canada’s Under-17 team and play for his adopted homeland."

http://cjnews.com/sports/israeli-pic...sudbury-wolves

I am assuming this is referring to the annual World U-17 Challenge, which features 3 Team Canadas (Red, White and Black) and is not an official IIHF event. Still, it's the first major tournament for the best players at that age level, and many go on to the U18's and eventually the World Junior team. It seems that were Levin to play in this event, it would NOT affect his eligibility to play for Israel at the Worlds? If that's the case, it's great news. Can't blame him for wanting to participate.

That would not affect his eligibility, as it isn't an IIHF event. However, playing U-18 for Canada in an IIHF event would realistically end the chances of his ever playing for Israel in IIHF competition.

IHF Member
    There is one U18 event he could play in - the Ivan Hlinka tournament which is also not an IIHF event and takes place late summer. Though you have to think once you commit to playing that, there is a lot of pressure from scouts/management to play at the main U18 Worlds. I suppose we will find out next spring what he decides (depending of course, whether Sudbury makes/is still playing in the OHL playoffs)

IHF Prospect
    That's cool

IHF Member
    His situation is somewhat similar to Daniel Sprong's it seems. Sprong is a Dutch citizen who's lived and played in Canada since he was 10 and has yet to represent Holland in IIHF competition as he's hoping to get Canadian citizenship. Sprong was not invited to play for Canada at the U17s or Ivan Hlinka tournament the past two seasons due to the fact he doesn't have Canadian citizenship so LevIn might end up in a similar situation.

David has played ice hockey, not just inline hockey, in Israel. In fact, here he is in this year's Israel A-League bronze medal game scoring for Kfar Saba against Maalot. Levin scored all of Kfar Saba's goals in a 7-4 loss.

Check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCbUVdynTA

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hcnc-1Nfs
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 07-07-2015 at 21:59. Reason: corrected typo

IHF Member
    He also led Kfar Saba to this season's Israeli Junior championship. 8 points in Kfar Saba U-20's 9-1 destruction of Maalot U-20 in the final game.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 01-10-2015 at 14:46.

I didn't realize it at the time, but he played in last season's televised A-League final for Kfar Saba against Rishon as well. I only know it now because he and I have several friends in common on Facebook, so I saw some pictures of him playing in last year's championship game.

IHF Member
    Levin has been officially summoned to Hockey Canada's U-17 camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Taldu View Post
    Levin has been officially summoned to Hockey Canada's U-17 camp.
    Summoned, on penalty of jail time? Wow, that's pretty heavy-handed!
    Sounds more like he was invited :)
    Will he accept the invitation?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Summoned, on penalty of jail time? Wow, that's pretty heavy-handed!
    Sounds more like he was invited :)
    Will he accept the invitation?
    Levin did accept the invitation and was in Calgary this past week for the camp, which was part of Hockey Canada's summer showcase that brought together the U17, U18 and U20 (World Junior) age groups.

Levin was sick at the start of camp, but bounced back in a big way and made an impact.
    http://www.thesudburystar.com/2015/0...ll-at-u17-camp

IHF Member
    Next up will probably be one of the Canadian teams for the u-17 international challenge in November.

IHF Member
    I'm never able to connect to Sudbury star links. Can anyone post articles or recaps? Thanks

IHF Member
    Here's what the article says about Levin:

Levin, Wolves prospects show well at U17 camp

David Levin wasn't quite 100%, but that was more than enough to make an impact at Hockey Canada's under-17 development camp in Calgary this week.

Levin, whom the Sudbury Wolves made the top pick in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection this past spring, was sidelined by illness at the start of camp, but the talented Israeli-born forward bounced back to record three points in three games during a mini-tournament.

"It was fun to see how everything worked there," said Levin, 15. "It's very hard, but you try to make the team and you do your best.

"The first two days, I was really sick and the doctors didn't let me play, but then I said 'I am ready' and I wasn't 100%, but I tried to do my best and I was playing well."

Suiting up for Team Blue, he was pointless in his first game, but scored two goals, including the game-winner, in his second.

Levin added a helper as Team Blue won the third-place game of the tournament.

There were 110 players invited to the camp, part of the Hockey Canada Summer Showcase. Levin believes he gave himself a good chance of being one of the 66 who will be named to three Canadian entries for the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, held in British Columbia from Oct. 30 to Nov. 7.

"I was sick, but I was trying to do my best and practising hard every practice and playing my best in the games," Levin said. "When it's the best players in Canada, you know it's not going to be easy for you, but you're trying to show you're the best player on the ice."

He wants to play for Team Canada long-term.

"It's a great honour to play for Canada and to wear the red jersey," he said.

Again, that last part is rather interesting. On the one hand, he's simply saying what he's supposed to say at a Hockey Canada camp. But the more times I hear it, the more I'm led to believe he truly has no intention to ever play for Israel.

I was told that he had wanted to play for Israel's U18 this past year in Taiwan, but would have had to join the team late due to his Canadian team finishing up its season during the beginning of the event. The Israeli federation declined to allow him to come late.

Big mistake in my opinion. When you have a player of that caliber who wants to play for your program, but is honest about why he would be late and wants to honor a commitment to his club team where he is improving his skills, you don't tell him no.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Big mistake in my opinion. When you have a player of that caliber who wants to play for your program, but is honest about why he would be late and wants to honor a commitment to his club team where he is improving his skills, you don't tell him no.
    I would have to agree and we see the top nations doing it at the World Championships. Perhaps, because it's a junior event, maybe they didn't want upheaval in the dressing room by bringing in a much higher skilled player who would eat into the others' ice time.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

I was told that he had wanted to play for Israel's U18 this past year in Taiwan, but would have had to join the team late due to his Canadian team finishing up its season during the beginning of the event. The Israeli federation declined to allow him to come late.

Do you think that would push Levin to look more towards Canada as his international team of choice?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Do you think that would push Levin to look more towards Canada as his international team of choice?
    With all due respect, it's the wrong use of terms. You don't have to PUSH anyone to select Canada over Israel for international ice hockey play. That was Israel's chance to BLOCK him from playing for anyone else in the future.
    Once Israel didn't use that opportunity, he's dead and gone for the national team IMHO. And I can't blame him, pretty much nobody would choose differently given that choice.

IHF Member
    Levin scores his first OHL goal in Sudbury's season opener against Niagra.
    Unfortunately, it was only a consolation goal, as Sudbury was routed 8:1...

IHF Member
    Amazing feature done by Sportsnet Magazine (and posted online) on Levin.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...el-to-sudbury/

Tells the full story of his journey from inline hockey to first overall pick in the OHL. Also sheds a little insight near the end as to why he may be giving up playing for the Israeli national team.

“I know that to play this game and [to play for Canada in] the world juniors, I have to give up my Israeli citizenship,” he says. “If I don’t, then I have to serve three years in the army after I turn 18. If I do that, poof, hockey for me is over. And if I [don’t do that], I can’t go back [to Israel]. It’s a serious thing.

Interesting read, but not entirely accurate, as I explain below. He seems like a good kid and it would of course be great to see an Israeli in the NHL. Max Birbraer and Ethan Werek came close (each got drafted, and played in the AHL and also in NHL preseason games). I would hate to see David give up his Israeli citizenship, though, and he shouldn't have to.....Israel's government can give him an elite athletic exemption from army service, and he would certainly qualify for the exemption as a truly elite athlete. Also, he HAS played ice hockey in Israel. He learned to ice skate there, and he certainly wore full equipment on the ice in hockey games prior to coming to Canada. He played youth ice hockey for Kfar Saba since at least spring of 2012, and there are pictures on his Facebook page to prove it. So this "he first learned to stop on ice skates in Canada in the fall of 2012" is, shall we say, an urban myth. He has also gone back and forth from Canada to Israel to play ice hockey since moving to Canada. In fact, he played parts of the last two seasons for Kfar Saba in the mens' Israeli A-League - there's plenty of video on Youtube showing him playing for Kfar Saba. It's a shame we'll likely never see him skate for Israel in IIHF competition. Perhaps he'll play for Israel in future Maccabiah Games. In any event, I am rooting for him to make the NHL.

IHF Member
    I would hate to see David give up his Israeli citizenship, though, and he shouldn't have to.....Israel's government can give him an elite athletic exemption from army service, and he would certainly qualify for the exemption as a truly elite athlete.
    I doubt he is eligible for that status if he doesn't intend to play for Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Taldu View Post
    I doubt he is eligible for that status if he doesn't intend to play for Israel.
    I'm by no means knowledgeable about Israeli athletic exemptions, but wouldn't having that in his back pocket ensure that he plays for Israel?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    I'm by no means knowledgeable about Israeli athletic exemptions, but wouldn't having that in his back pocket ensure that he plays for Israel?
    I believe committing to play for Israel would be the only way he can get that exemption, the rationale being it will benefit Israel better if he pursues his hockey and represents Israel.
    But that's not even relevant, because he doesn't want that. He wants to play for Canada.

IHF Member
    Agreed with most of these points. It really is too bad though he may never play Israel. But I'd love nothing more than for him to continue proving people wrong and make the NHL one day. Interestingly, his birthday - Sept. 16/99 is one day after the cutoff for the 2017 draft. So Levin will have a full extra year to develop in the OHL and will be the oldest player in his draft year in 2018.

Here's his first OHL goal as mentioned above - a sweet wrist shot from the slot on the powerplay.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...dbf4e56113c913

And for those who want to follow his progress, here is his stats page and breakdown by game:
    http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/28038
    http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/r...yGame/id/28038

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hudes89 View Post
    Agreed with most of these points. It really is too bad though he may never play Israel. But I'd love nothing more than for him to continue proving people wrong and make the NHL one day. Interestingly, his birthday - Sept. 16/99 is one day after the cutoff for the 2017 draft. So Levin will have a full extra year to develop in the OHL and will be the oldest player in his draft year in 2018.

Here's his first OHL goal as mentioned above - a sweet wrist shot from the slot on the powerplay.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...dbf4e56113c913

And for those who want to follow his progress, here is his stats page and breakdown by game:
    http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/28038
    http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/r...yGame/id/28038
    2 goals and an assist in 4 games, not a bad start.
    bad start for the team through... 1 win and 3 losses, 4th in its division (out of 5 teams).

IHF Member
    And here is the first step towards him playing for Canada - Levin selected for the World U-17 Hockey Challenge in November (non-IIHF event)

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...allenge/166823

IHF Member
    Real shame if he doesn't play for Israel. I'm all for him playing Junior hockey for Canada and Senior for Israel however. The army excuse is just that, I'm sure he can meet Gifted Athelete status with no problems, so that shouldn't be the issue for playing with Israel or returning to Israel

IHF Member
    He can't do both. Playing in the World U17 does not lock him in to playing for Canada just yet, but once he steps on the ice in an official IIHF event, the decision has been made. We won't know about that until the spring, when the World U18 Championship happens. If Sudbury doesn't make the OHL playoffs or is eliminated early, Levin will have the chance to play for Canada at that event, and if he does, he can't play for Israel anymore - junior or senior.

IHF Member
    He can't do both. Playing in the World U17 does not lock him in to playing for Canada just yet, but once he steps on the ice in an official IIHF event, the decision has been made. We won't know about that until the spring, when the World U18 Championship happens. If Sudbury doesn't make the OHL playoffs or is eliminated early, Levin will have the chance to play for Canada at that event, and if he does, he can't play for Israel anymore - junior or senior.
    Well 3 goals and 1 assist (-9), in his first 7 games is what? Average, below average, bad? Anyways, I thought there was a way to switch back, the new iihf transfer pdf seems very confusing. Do we know he is THAT good to play for Canada. Also, does he have a Canadian passport, I might have missed that?

Not sure if he has a Canadian passport or not, though I suspect that if he doesn't have one, he will soon. I imagine that he does already have one, though, since he tried out for Canada's U-17 challenge roster - even if it isn't an IIHF event, I can't imagine Hockey Canada would let a non-citizen play for them in any kind of real tournament, or even compete for a roster spot.

Insofar as his stats, Sudbury is a basement dwelling team this season, which is what was expected. He's the top threat on a really bad team in that league, and is getting covered by opposing teams' top defensive pairings.

If he did play for Canada in an official IIHF event, it would effectively end his ever playing for Israel in IIHF competition. He would have to, in order to switch back, play exclusively in the Israeli league for 4 straight seasons, which is never going to happen. It's safe to say that this past season was his last time playing for Kfar Saba (or any Israeli club, for that matter).

IHF Member
    Levin will play on Team Canada black at the World U17, alongside Matthew Strome - brother of Ryan and Dylan Strome, who captained the Toronto Marlboros (and scored the OT-winning goal) to the OHL Cup back in March over Levin's Don Mills Flyers. Have to think the two of them will get the opportunity to play together on the top line.

Here's the full roster:
    http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/roster/...951.1420757732

IHF Member
    Interesting article about the NHL's so-called "arbitrary" cut-off date of Sept. 15 for the draft, and the confusion as to why there is no exceptional player status rule similar to junior hockey. The piece focuses on Auston Matthews, who misses the cut-off by two days (and should be in the NHL right now instead of playing in Switzerland), but it also very much applies to Levin, whose birthday as mentioned earlier is Sept. 16, 1999 (and therefore isn't eligible until the 2018 draft, instead of 2017).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...gibility-rule/

I saw this. Strictly a collective bargaining agreement thing - an arbitrary, bargained for date that is now contractually enforced.

IHF Member
    For those interested - Hockey Canada is live streaming tonight's World U17 exhibition games. Here is the link to watch Levin and Team Canada Black against Sweden

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/game/sh...ferrer=2090619

IHF Member
    For those interested - Hockey Canada is live streaming tonight's World U17 exhibition games. Here is the link to watch Levin and Team Canada Black against Sweden

The game against Sweden was not part of the actual tournament, it was considered an exhibition game. Sweden won 5:1, Levin didn't score (2 minute penalty for slashing).

In the tournament itself, Canada Black lost its first game against Canada White, 5:3. Levin had 1 assist.
    In teh second game Canada Black beat Czech rep. 4:3 after a shootout. Not a good game for Levin personally - one serious penalty in teh first period, for checking from behind, earned him a minor + 10min misconduct. He didn't score, and missed two penalty shots in the shootout.
    Tonight Canada Black ends the group stage with a game against USA.

IHF Member
    Levin in Canada Black uniforms, first on the right.
    http://cdn.agilitycms.com/hockey-can...=620&h=350&c=1

IHF Member
    Canada Black lots its final preliminary game 6-1 to USA, and Levin did not factor in on the lone goal. Today, they play Canada Red in the quarterfinals

Not a good tournament for him so far.

IHF Member
    Certainly not, and his disappointing tournament continued. Canada Black lost to Canada Red in the quarters 3-2, followed by 4-2 defeat to Czech Republic in the 7th place game - with Levin once again not recording any points or even registering a shot in either game, and his team finishing in last place of the 8 teams

IHF Member
    Recently, Levin played against Daniel Nikandrov of the Peterborough Petes (formerly the captain of the Sarnia Sting) - a player with similar history of growing up in Israel, who didn't step on the ice until to moving to Canada at age 10. The fact that two of these players were in the same game is pretty remarkable.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2015/11/13...hes-played-for

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...y-crazy-russia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information