Thread: IHWC 2015 Prague/Ostrava day 3 (May 3.)

IHF Staff

IIHF IHWC 2015 Prague/Ostrava day 3 (May 3.)

Games for day #3.

3 May, Sun 12:15 GMT+2 AUT vs SWE
    3 May, Sun 12:15 GMT+2 RUS vs SLO
    3 May, Sun 16:15 GMT+2 CAN vs GER
    3 May, Sun 16:15 GMT+2 BLR vs SVK
    3 May, Sun 20:15 GMT+2 FRA vs SUI
    3 May, Sun 20:15 GMT+2 DEN vs FIN

Few beforehand seemingly interesting games on the schedule. BLR vs. SVK should be a tight one with direct relevance for the 1/4 final berth. SUI vs. FRA will be interesting as both teams started with a disappointment. Swiss will have to improve their game a lot compared to today in order to confirm their favourit status.

I'd say that Slovakia would have a fair chance of winning if they played offensively like yesterday in periods 2 and 3. But Vujtek wants to start the game deffensively, so we're probably just gonna wait until Belarus scores once again to start playing.

France vs. Switzerland is another exicting game that could go either way.

I don't expect any upsests in the other games as all the underdogs played yesterday while the favourites are well deserved. And those were exhausting games for Austria, Slovenia, Germany and Denmark. Denmark was already gased against Slovakia halfway through the game and Slovenia overplayed it's top two lines extremely in the last period.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Staff
    Looking forward to the AUT-SWE game with quite some worries. Although it's most likely a highly irrelevant one for AUT (no points to be expected but that also holds for the other lower ranked teams) I wouldn't like to see the team routed by the Swedes which is however not unlikely at all. I really love that at IHWC the IIHF provides time on ice data for every player which is a great indication how coaches approach a game. Yesterday against Switzerland our top defense pairing of Heinrich and Pallestrang had the most ice time of all games I have checked (Heinrich 27', Pallestrang close to 27'). The rest of the defensemen apart from Martin Schumnig with about 20' split the remaining time almost equally. Also the first two offense lines had almost the same toi with about 19' and 18' respectively, the third line was still at about 14' with the fourth line pairing of Fischer and Petrik at 9' (the two are used on PK) and their line mate Ganahl at 5'.

Now there's of course always the question how lesser teams should approach games against the top teams. Besides the odd upset now and then it is pretty much assured that no points are to be won anyway so conserving energy for the crucial games against the on par opponents is an issue. Now of course no player wants to slack off and get routed worse than it could be as this is adverse for self-confidence and makes bad press but on the other hand it makes no sense to waste oneself beyond the point that completely recuperating for the next game is possible and nevertheless lose the game. Here the coaches are up to allocate the ice time in order not to waste the key players. In that sense I expect ice time to be much more evenly split among the lines for AUT against the mighty Swedes (although the rest day AUT has tomorrow means less necessity to conserve energy for the absolutely crucial game against France on Tuesday).

I just hope Belarus somehow will find way to beat slovakia !!! Go Belarus !!!!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    I'd say that Slovakia would have a fair chance of winning if they played offensively like yesterday in periods 2 and 3. But Vujtek wants to start the game deffensively, so we're probably just gonna wait until Belarus scores once again to start playing.
    Interesting approach

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    I don't expect any upsests in the other games as all the underdogs played yesterday while the favourites are well deserved. And those were exhausting games for Austria, Slovenia, Germany and Denmark. Denmark was already gased against Slovakia halfway through the game and Slovenia overplayed it's top two lines extremely in the last period.
    It’s going to be tough match for Denmark, but hoping for the best.

Either way, Rødovre’s Sebastian Dahm will start in goal (first time since 2009) and veteran Kim Staal has been added to the lineup, replacing Morten Poulsen who’s out with an injury.

IHF Member
    Canada is beating the hell out of Germany 9-0...and that's only after 40 minutes.
    It could have been 10-0 had Sidney Crosby not been called for a crease violation.
    Germany looks tired after their game yesterday as they are getting mauled by a well rested Canadian team.
    The two German goaltenders are having a rough day with a combined .678 save pct...that's a goal every three shots.
    But to be fair to them, the team in front of them have been absolutely no help at all.
    If they aren't getting caught on odd man rushes the German D men are doing a great job of screening their own netminders.
    Maybe Todd McLellan will show some mercy in the third period...mmm, nah.

Canada - Germany 10:0 (4:0, 5:0, 1:0)
    1:0 (8:02) Crosby (O´Reilly)
    2:0 (8:25) Hall (Duchene, Eberle)
    3:0 (16:48) Eakin (O´Reilly)
    4:0 (19:49) Eakin (Toffoli)
    5:0 (22:10) Hall (Duchene, Eberle)
    6:0 (24:29) Ekblad (Giroux, Wiercioch)
    7:0 (27:34) Giroux (Ennis, Savard)
    8:0 (35:16) Ennis (Giroux, Hamhuis)
    9:0 (39:37) Hall (Duchene, Muzzin)
    10:0 (42:03) Duchene (PS)

Could have gone even higher in results, but canada slowed down in third period.

Slovakia suffered a win today, and only a 2 point one. 5 goals scored so far and 4 of them by D-men. Nagy and Reway's creativity are sorely missed. If anyone still plays Kopecky as the 1st line center after these two games, they are either dumb or trying to sabotage Slovakia. Even Dano who looked good yesterday is lost with him and Gaborik.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Deserved 3-0 win for the Finns, we didn't have much offense to bring to this game, and rarely properly tested Rinne. I'm worried our solid looking defense wont be enough against our main rivals for relegation. We will get the first clues against Belarus on Tuesday.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Canada - Germany 10:0 (4:0, 5:0, 1:0)
    1:0 (8:02) Crosby (O´Reilly)
    2:0 (8:25) Hall (Duchene, Eberle)
    3:0 (16:48) Eakin (O´Reilly)
    4:0 (19:49) Eakin (Toffoli)
    5:0 (22:10) Hall (Duchene, Eberle)
    6:0 (24:29) Ekblad (Giroux, Wiercioch)
    7:0 (27:34) Giroux (Ennis, Savard)
    8:0 (35:16) Ennis (Giroux, Hamhuis)
    9:0 (39:37) Hall (Duchene, Muzzin)
    10:0 (42:03) Duchene (PS)

Could have gone even higher in results, but canada slowed down in third period.
    OMG, I'm getting very worried about the AUT-CAN game. would be optimal if Austria could cancel this one and file for the result of last week's friendly to be considered for the tournament instead ;-)
    Germany with the tough game against France the day before certainly tired, that's something none of the bottom teams can afford against this Canadian squad.

Austria vs. Sweden was kind of similar I guess, AUT kept up well producing a few good chances in the first 15' but on the first goal of the Swedes the team collapsed prety much and the Swedes racked up the score almost at will after that. After the 6:0 in the second period Rene Swette went off visibly shaken and Bernhard Starkbaum came in. Starkbaum didn't allow another goal with a very good performance and helped by the fact that the Swedes didn't really push too hard anymore. Interestingly SWE didn't manage to score on PP despite plenty of opportunities which makes Austria lead the penalty killing success rate at the maximum of 100% (also the Swiss had no man advantage goal vs. AUT). In the end Dominique Heinrich erased the blank on the scoreboard for AUT giving the team the nice feeling of having won the last period. But the difference between the rested #1 ranked team in the world and tired #16 ranked Austrians was brutal...the Swedes are just faster, bigger, more skilled and smarter hockey players.

Switzerland vs. France was an interesting game to watch. I think the French were really hit hard by the amount of players they lost already early in the game. Stephane Da Costa with an apparent injury is a blow and then the game misconduct against Treille was a very hard call. I think the elbow that went to the Swiss guy's (Timo Helbling) face was from a completely normal stickhandling movement, Treille couldn't see Helbling as he was skating into him completely from behind with the head down low... There's also some self-responsibility the players have to show and in this scene Helbling was just plain careless and that's something Treille shouldn't have been penalized for given that he couldn't have seen him really. That Roussell couldn't hold his temper is another story, big favor he did his team for getting himself thrown out of the game. Anyway, with their two best forwards and a solid grinder gone the French still did very well and the Swiss are lucky to get away with 3 points considering how the French outworked them in the third period. SUI is far away from the team they were two years ago despite 10 returning silver medalists. Don't see the Swiss go far in this tournament.

Thread Information