Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 IHWC prelim. round days 5-12 Group A (Prague)

IHF Staff

IIHF 2015 IHWC prelim. round days 5-12 Group A (Prague)

Today's games in Prague:

5. May, Tue 16:15 GMT+2 SUI vs GER
    5. May, Tue 20:15 GMT+2 AUT vs FRA
    Last edited by RexKramer; 05-05-2015 at 11:11.

IHF Staff
    Two almost do or die games in Prague between Austria and France and Switzerland and Denmark. After this highly interesting enry statement the breaking news for Austria: defenseman Mario Altman is cleard to play and will be in the line-up against the French. France's Stephane DaCosta is questionable with an ankle injury suffered yesterday in the game aganist Switzerland.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Two almost do or die games in Prague between Austria and France and Switzerland and Denmark. After this highly interesting enry statement the breaking news for Austria: defenseman Mario Altman is cleard to play and will be in the line-up against the French. France's Stephane DaCosta is questionable with an ankle injury suffered yesterday in the game aganist Switzerland.
    With the way Canada and Sweden is playing I would prefer that we stay in Group B.

For Denmark tomorrow's game against Belarus will be the first of three very important matches.

So far the goaltending and the defence have looked solid, but the offence needs to step up.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    With the way Canada and Sweden is playing I would prefer that we stay in Group B.

For Denmark tomorrow's match against Belarus will be the first of three very important matches (Belarus, Norway & Slovenia) and hopefully it will yield at least one point.

So far the goaltending and the defence have looked solid, but the offence needs to step up.
    I swear that I was thinking of Germany!!! :D
    Danmark certainly looks good defensively, Belarus is no wizards' team either (except for the Kostytsins), I guess three points are not completely unrealistic. But the big games are going to be vs. Slovenia and Norway.

I am scared about today's game. Vujtek still won't do anything about the fact that Kopecky isn't a 1st line center...
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Staff
    As it seems France's KHL star Stephane DaCosta is out for the tournament with an injury. Bad thing for France, missing DaCosta certainly doesn't make the so far not really productive French offense better.

Perhaps a good chance for Austria to avoid relegation and break the circle of alternating between IHWC and Div 1 that they've had since 2005...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Perhaps a good chance for Austria to avoid relegation and break the circle of alternating between IHWC and Div 1 that they've had since 2005...
    It surely helps. In the past when Austria was relegated it was always pretty close that we have pulled the shorter straw and team internal troubles and flaws in the team management have contributed. This year team chemistry seems to be really good and there's at least no obvious signs of the federation officials to screw things up as has happened in the past. On the other hand we dearly miss the various higher end players that have quit playing in the nt or "take a break" from doing so. Thomas Pöck and Matthias Trattnig (both fit) alone would be major upgrades to the defense but opted out. So frankly I am not sure at all how this is going to end. With a concentrated effort and enough mental stability to avoid the re-occurring defensive lapses AUT can surely beat France (which will most likely suffice for AUT) but I think it is too close to call who's gonna win this one. I'm just pretty sure that it won't be a good to watch affair.

IHF Staff
    Well and now it is like all the previous years. AUT just can't win the game(s?) against the direct rivals for maintaining the elite level position. Tonight the Austrians largely were the more active team with far more puck possession and stretches of pressure in the French zone. But despite that the offensive efforts were kind of clueless and simply not good enough to beat a very strong Christobal Huet. And when Huet was beaten the goalpost was there (3 times as I recall) for les Bleus. And taking penalties is part of the game of course, AUT took a few very unclever ones tonight but as in the previous games killed them off. All of them? No, in one lone Gaul powerplay a hard shot from the point deflected off Starkbaum's pad and went in high. Not that this was the only time France was dangerous but whenever they were Starkbaum, who played a very good game, made the save. So defense was certainly good enough to win this game but with a pathetic powerplay (slapstick passes, alibi plays and only a few good shots) and and a lack of inspiration and determination to get the puck in, the offense it would have taken was just not there. Brian Lebler for instance is known to score when its needed, didn't work out today...
    Now it's do or die against Latvia and Germany. Both games we can easily lose especially when nothing works in offense.

Da Costa played against Austria......he can't be that badly hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Da Costa played against Austria......he can't be that badly hurt.
    That's like saying guys playing in the NHL playoffs can't be that badly hurt because they're still playing. Then you find out they were playing on one leg, or with a broken hand, or some such.

I was responding to Wolfgang's post #6.......he obviously was not hurt enough to keep him out of the lineup.

IHF Staff
    I was responding to Wolfgang's post #6.......he obviously was not hurt enough to keep him out of the lineup.
    DaCosta was apparently handicapped, he had as good as no ice time in the first period and wasn't used too much also later on. Henderson still brought him mostly in powerplay which makes sense given his reduced mobility (that was apparent in a few scenes when he would have had to skate hard).

Great offense from Canada, impressive to see the speed and determination. Sweden also had goods offense, at least in the first half.

But both teams have a little more to work with in their defensive game.

Latvia 2, Switzerland 1 - OT final. Masalskis stole one for Latvia!

Congrats to Starkovs and all of our Latvian friends.

I am thinking that Glen Hanlon's time as head coach of the Swiss national team may be short. What bad results for them so far.

Getting late to the WC this year for unexpected reasons. Try to keep updated with highlights. So our Swiss team not doing too
    well?: Imho except AUSTRIA OT loss!!! its not that bad. LATVIA is always ready for a big game and MASALSKIS(AMBRI GK) with an
    ÜBERGAME. Must not hide our miserable efficiency though.

Beating FRENCH and GERMAN is not a sure thing for us. Being outsiders it is easy to play but when favourite the pressure is
    strong. With this type of start in the tournament(all weaker team first) SWISS had everything to loose. WC games are often
    determined by PP goals and with a couple of them the all thing would look different.
    What is sure is that we need points from the big nation games to qualify, because LATVIA has now easier games coming. Even
    GERMANY could still mix in.

From the press: Why does HANLON keep bringing JOSI AND STREIT on PP over and over again. Can he not see that they do not function together. (apparently changed it in the LATVIA game though). BRUNNER is the shadow of himself (this was already apparent in LUGANO). What is he doing there? BERRA has become non determinant since he left for oversea. He is loosing the game vs AUSTRIA almost alone.
    Positifs: JOSI,GENONI and curiously HELBLING.

The team lost FELICIEN DU BOIS(Broken finger, he went home) replaced by ROMAIN LÓFFEL(SERVETTE). ROMAIN will only be announced if another defender is injured. KUKAN was injured but apparently is fit again. TRISTAN SCHERWEY has not played yet and so there is still a spot open.

CANADA, USA impressive and this afternoon BIELORUSSIA(first game I saw)

It looks to me that more and more lower teams in group A are "Rapperswilljoning" game away not to loose energy FOR WHEN IT REALLY MATTERS FOR THEM. LATVIA vs SWEDEN AND CANADA, GERMANY vs CANADA,

IHF Staff
    Germany is giving Sweden a run for their money right now. SWE were up 2:0 by the end of the first and had a 5' PP as Daschner got a GM for a blind side hit against Ekholm. Afterwards the Germans tied the game and even had two great chances to get the lead. The Swedes seem surprised and kind of stunned by the fierce resistance the Germans are putting up. Interesting third period coming up.

IHF Prospect
    Refs took.some.time to.award.that goal for Germany did.they not. Lol

IHF Staff
    Germany turns the game around, after being pretty much restricted to fending off the Latvian attacks for 40' a ugly kneeing incident by Sprukts gave them a 5' powerplay which they used to tie it. Also don't know why Plachta's game winner had to be reviewed so long, was clear to see in the replay that the puck was in. Germany with their 6 points is now as good as safe from relegation (that is if neither from AUT, FRA and LAT get any points from their remaining games against the big teams Germany is already saved).

@Rogaldorn: welcome to the forums, nice to have another Scot/Brit. Just out of curiosity, do you have special relationship with dots?

JANIS SPRUKTS (GOTTERON) f***ed it up for the LATVIAN. His 5 minutes + GM were determinant. Getting tight in this group

IHF Prospect
    Yes. Using.phone and my fingers are too fat the space button is next to fullstop and
    Sometimes I look up and.their are so many I can't delete Em all

Iv had same problem in another forum.

Will try to keep all posts short or wait till iv.time to edit them out
    Using a.pc or laptop is.simply not an.option.sadly

Hopefully this.is.last post you will.see.all.these.dots

It will be interesting to follow the relegation fight in this group, staying with Austria vs Latvia. IMHO Latvia needs the win more.

It will be interesting to follow the relegation fight in this group, staying with Austria vs Latvia. IMHO Latvia needs the win more.
    Just small reminder, relegation isnt based on Group but overall, you could have two countries from the same Group relegated.

Oh... I missed that

IHF Prospect
    Latvia will not go down

Canada beats France 4-3 after the French rally from a 3-1 deficit to tie the game in the third. And France beat Canada last year at this tournament in a shootout. The start of a WC rivalry? :)

IHF Member
    Canada beats France 4-3 after the French rally from a 3-1 deficit to tie the game in the third. And France beat Canada last year at this tournament in a shootout. The start of a WC rivalry? :)
    The way the schedule is this year, both Canada and the US played their traditionally strongest opponents in the first few games. The challenge for both will be to maintain focus and intensity when they are heavily favoured for the few games before the knockout round.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Just small reminder, relegation isnt based on Group but overall, you could have two countries from the same Group relegated.
    Very true however the final/overall ranking is based on:
    The final ranking will follow the following procedure:
    1. Higher position in the group,
    2. Higher number of points,
    3. Better goal difference,
    4. Higher number of goals scored for,
    5. Better seeding number
    http://www.iihfworlds2015.com/en/inf...rnament-format

So the country finishing 8th in say group A cannot be ranked higher than the country finishing 7th in group B.

8A and 8B are thus relagated.
    Last edited by Marras; 09-05-2015 at 19:25.

Masalskis!!!!! HUGE breakaway save with 58 seconds left against one of the Raffl brothers in a 1-1 game........and then Daugavins scores 33 seconds into OT. Happy for Starkovs, sad for RexKramer.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    I don't think so. Austrian media are strongly interested in the relegation rules by tradition and as on the IIHF website the statement on this topic is formulated not really unambiguously a clarification by the IIHF has been requested last week. On that the IIHF media officer said that simply the last placed team of each group will be relegated.

AUT-LAT showed the sad (for AUT) normality that the Austrians are simply not able to win the critical games. It's been so since ten years and I don't see a reason why and when this should change. The Latvians obviously had heavy legs today and AUT used the advantage to dominate most of the time. Puck possession and time in the offensive zone were there, also the visible effort to take more shots than against France but the killer instinct, the cleverness to finish the plays off down to the one odd lucky bounce was again lacking. The goal Lebler scored showed how it works and the guy normally is capable to do this consistently. Just doesn't work in the NT when it matters most. Same for the Raffls' chance in the end and many more. Defense was overall fairly stable too but the Latvians had the class to exploit the mistakes Austria made for two goals, that was all they needed - hats off. If I recall the chances AUT wasted today, the conclusion is nit just that Masalskis was very good but also that its simply a lack of class. I have little faith that we can beat Germany on Monday unfortunately. With an offensive efficiency like this and the defensive blackouts the team produces its not going to work.

Oh... I missed that
    Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    Very true however the final/overall ranking is based on:
    8A and 8B are thus relagated.
    Ahh, oops...my apologies then to you Bennison, you had it correct, my mistake. :)

Thank you Marras!

Switzerland came out strong in the third period. This could have gone either way, I think both teams had the shots in the goal post each.

Third OT/SO loss but very important point for SWITZERLAND against SWEDEN tonight. Means that a not so certain win of GERMANS vs AUSTRIA stays without consequences admitting they loose against CZECH who also will have to make points. It could come to a showdown for the third place between SWITZERLAND and CZECH in the last game if: SWISS make points vs CANADA and CZECH loose some vs GERMANS. GERMAN S can make it if SWISS loose both last games an they win both theirs.

Congrats to GENONI, great game. Great tournament to now.

The extra time penalty bringing the SWiSS to 3 against 4 is very debatable. A player cannot push the lost stick of a team mate towards him he must hand it to him. Anyway TRACHSLER should have known it.

There can be two relegated teams from one group, but only in the case that next year host nation is last placed in the other group.

GERMANS out of quarter final after loss against CZECH. AUSTRIA can still take SWITZERLAND'S place if the SWISS do not make any more points and AUSTRIA wins the last two games vs GERMANS and CANADA. Their fate goes from relegation to quarter...

IHF Prospect
    Even die hard Austrian would Not predict that out come.

Please take BERRA out. We will not win this game with him . He is awful. 2 little shots 2 goals.

IHF Prospect
    Was anyone gonna stop that second.goal?
    Maybe I'm bias as I like avalanche.
    But that was unstoppable in.my book.

BERRA has two games two losses does not reach .087 % he is insecure just an other shadow of his old self like BRUNNER. GENONI with 95.52 has a great WC. Why does HANLON keep alternate. Why does this coach need so much time to see what everybody sees.
    I am sure even MANZATO is better than him.

IHF Prospect
    Was going to defend him further as third could.Have seen
    More hassle from Suri, wasn't a powerplay. And fourth on PP
    It's good chances can't blame it on one guy,
    But you were right. Fifth shouldnt be scored
    Of.course result won't change now sadly for
    switzerland

This is a joke of a game from the Swiss. In many years playing the Canucks we always challenged them. All they need to do is
    shoot, wait for the rebound and push it in.
    Anybody seen the penalty against BRUNNER. In neutral zone he manages to get a weak guy mistake. Then the 3rd or 4th too many
    men on ice since beginning of tournament from HANLON.
    Throw this parody of a game to the bin. All this comes from the GK making everybody nervous and HANLON not making a change.

IHF Prospect
    yes I'd expected.a better match. Should have watched the.Russia.match

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    This is a joke of a game from the Swiss. In many years playing the Canucks we always challenged them. All they need to do is
    shoot, wait for the rebound and push it in.
    Anybody seen the penalty against BRUNNER. In neutral zone he manages to get a weak guy mistake. Then the 3rd or 4th too many
    men on ice since beginning of tournament from HANLON.
    Throw this parody of a game to the bin. All this comes from the GK making everybody nervous and HANLON not making a change.
    Swiss almost always give Canada a hard time.....

IHF Staff
    Last realistic chance to get the points necessary for AUT to avoid relegation today in the clash vs. Germany. The Germans have little to play for as they can't reach the quarterfinals anymore and are also safe from relegation (baring a major surprise in France against Sweden). Nevertheless the Germans certainly don't like to lose games let alone against Austria. So it's not going to be a renewal of the "disgrace of Gijon" from 1982 ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPo-pG2RZiY

With these circumstances I see the Germans as clear favourites, they don't have much pressure whereas its a must win (or at least must reach overtime) for Austria and our team has proven not to be too good in handling such situations (1 goal in 120' of hockey against the direct rivals...not too much). I can only hope that offense starts to procduce finally and the defensive blackouts are eliminated. If that should work a win is possible but I#m not really counting on it.
    Last edited by RexKramer; 11-05-2015 at 14:35.

Germany will let Austria to win or at least one point to take. 100%

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by partizanhk View Post
    Germany will let Austria to win or at least one point to take. 100%
    What makes you think so?
    I think the Germans still chew on their last "win" against Austria at the OG qualification 2013...

What makes you think so?
    I think the Germans still chew on their last "win" against Austria at the OG qualification 2013...
    Becouse you have very good relationship between two countries...just that...it is not important who is better in this game

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Swiss almost always give Canada a hard time.....
    The last trouncing against CANADA dates from 2007 in MOSCOW in quarter final. 5:1

Cooling down a bit after the game. Sorry do not specially like to criticize one particular player specially not the goalkeeper and even less the guy who played many years for my team. Unfortunately its sad to see that somebody who should get better when going overseas gets actually worse. To his credit BERRA stopped 39 of the 46 shots or something like this. But in those critics I am not alone reading the analyses of the CANADA game in Switzerland.

To the question of a journalist if he still thinks that BERRA is number one GK, HANLON answered: I do not criticize particular players but GENONI had a great season and won the NLA and he plays like a champion.
    IMHO kicking the ball in corners.

Our terrible PP is the 15th of all teams only our neighbours from AUSTRIA are worse. Another stone in HANLON's garden.

DEAN KUKAN, can definitely not play anymore after his shoulder injury, he will be replaced by ROMAIN LÓFFEL in defense (at the side of MARK STREIT in PP) thus activating the last inscription. TRISTAN SCHERWEY therefore also sent home.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by partizanhk View Post
    Becouse you have very good relationship between two countries...just that...it is not important who is better in this game
    Very good relationship, dunno. In sports (except alpine skiing ;-) Germans consider Austria a third world country against which it is a big shame to lose any contest. Thats for good reasons as Germany, not only due to its size, is way more successful than Austria in almost any sport. So no, especially after they came second to Austria in the qualification for Sochi, the Germans certainly won't slack off - unfortunately ;-)

Very good relationship, dunno. In sports (except alpine skiing ;-) Germans consider Austria a third world country against which it is a big shame to lose any contest. Thats for good reasons as Germany, not only due to its size, is way more successful than Austria in almost any sport. So no, especially after they came second to Austria in the qualification for Sochi, the Germans certainly won't slack off - unfortunately ;-)
    I think that member Partizanhk still living in Serbia where people don't know that second WW is finished, and where Partizans can't recognize German nation and Austria nation.. you must to explain that now these countries are divided, and have separate lands, and borders :) and today they are not on the same side as economy, or sport :)
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information