Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 IHWC prelim. round days 5-12 Group B (Ostrava)

This is sad but true story.
    It was nice all this years but now Slovenia is going down with ice hockey progress. It is simple, there is no money, no concept,no interes for ice hockey in Slovenia.

The oposite country with the bright future is Hungary.

IHF Prospect
    That's sad news.

IHF Prospect
    I mean situation.with Slovenia. I wish Hungary every success

IHF Staff
    After the game yesterday against Denmark Matjaz Kopitar has announced to step down as Slovenia's head coach. There's also rumours that Tomas Razingar will retire from the national team.

Slovenia's results in senior hockey are absolutely awesome considering how small the country and the hockey community are. They have a strong tradition in producing very well trained and talented players. But I agree, the whole situation doesn't seem good at all. If Olimpija with its shaky finances should ever have to shut down the senior pro team the country would be left without any opportunity to play professionally thus losing any possibility for players to make a career without going abroad right away. That would be a major blow to Slovenian hockey's possibilities to train high end players with all long term consequences.

As unfortunate the Slovenians are with getting relegated again in such a tight decision, they will be back in two years. The current div IA teams of Italy, Korea, Poland and Japan are hardly a match for Slovenia and whover will be relegated too.

IHF Member
    Hardly believed Slovenia will ever return to the elite. As Jesenice folded as a hockey centre and institution, the conditions in slovene hockey scene getting worse, and the future doesnt seem bright. Especially with such messy federation and permanetly clashes between two parties within.

With drastic fall of interest in Jesenice hockey school and ignoration for sport's projects in Ljubljana, our national team could ended in the second division in next decade.

At work and couldn't see the game, but sounds like I missed a classic between the USA and Slovakia! USA led 3-0 (2-0 after one period), Slovakia rallied to lead 4-3, USA answered immediately to tie the game, a scoreless third, and then a dramatic late OT goal by NCAA player Jack Eichel, who is the presumed #2 overall pick in the upcoming NHL draft for Buffalo.

This US team is the best IIHF WC team in quite some time. They may not medal, but they've certainly done American hockey proud through 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    This US team is the best IIHF WC team in quite some time. They may not medal, but they've certainly done American hockey proud through 7 games.
    It's even more impressive considering how young the team is. It's basically an NCAA/AHL hybrid team.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

I wouldn't go that far. It's fair to call it a young NHL/NHL rookie/AHL/NCAA hybrid team.

Meanwhile today's win clinched first place in the group and sets the USA up with Switzerland in the quarterfinals. One more win and they will be playing for a medal.

IHF Prospect
    America will medal I have no doubts it was a great game today America kind of backed off like they had won at 3-0
    Slovakia is too good to do that. Soon.as.they fell behind.they snapped back into the zone by that time Slovakia was on a high
    The highest quality part of game was the lower scoring end funnily enough lol

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    It's even more impressive considering how young the team is. It's basically an NCAA/AHL hybrid team.
    True! US is a young team of average around 24 years I think but I just count 4 University players(EICHEL,VESEY,LARKIN,REILLY). The rest is composed by 16 NHLer(SETH JONES being the youngest) and 2 KHLer and only one AHL GK. Two with the backup.
    A solid team looking forward to quarters.

http://www.iihfworlds2015.com/en/teams/#USA

IHF Member
    It was a wild game for the US and Slovakia but certainly very engaging. Initially it looked like the Slovaks were going to mail things in but boy did they ever turn it up a notch in the latter half of the second period. They just flat of dominated the US team for that sequence and it was a very nice display of pride and desire in front of their fans. In the end, it was very nice to see Eichel with the big goal late in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I don't know that I agree with the bold. Perhaps if we were just looking at the games against Finland and Russia but other than that it's been pretty mediocre. That said, it's been a way better tournament for them than I thought they'd have going in. If they can beat the Swiss team, a game that can go either way IMO, then I'd say the tournament has to be considered a real success as they'll be playing for a medal.

USA-Switzerland might not be the lock we seem to think it is. The Swiss may have lost a couple big games, but they've also shown the ability to smother teams and capitalize on their chances when they get them. One game, I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a coin-toss to pick the winner. I have no favourite in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    USA-Switzerland might not be the lock we seem to think it is. The Swiss may have lost a couple big games, but they've also shown the ability to smother teams and capitalize on their chances when they get them. One game, I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a coin-toss to pick the winner. I have no favourite in that game.
    Yeah, I have the nagging feeling the Swiss can ambush the US
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information