Thread: SE Asia Games

IHF Member

SE Asia Games

Been reported via NToIH that Ice Hockey will be played at the 2017 SE Asia Games , to be held in Malaysia. Attempts to include it in the current games in Singapore failed but it's good that it will happen next time. Hopefully Indonesia and Philippines will join Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.

Geoff

IHF Member
    .... and maybe Vietnam.

Philippines might actually stand a chance of winning the event. They beat Macau 10-0 last year in a Hong Kong tournament, and the match was only 2 x 20 minutes. That should give an idea of their level. They've been playing in regional tournaments against club teams for a few years, and this was their first match against another national team.
    The Roon Ba
    Results, Fixtures and Rankings in 64 team sports

IHF Member
    Found this, which also suggests Philippines are making progress

http://smskatingrink.com/ph-ice-hockey-team/

Hopefully they'll get IIHF membership soon.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Found this as well, featuring another Philippines success ;

http://www.hkahc.com/new_tournament/...r_schedule.htm

The names and faces of their team don't seem particularly Asian to me !! Could be some eligibility issues ahead.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Found this as well, featuring another Philippines success ;

http://www.hkahc.com/new_tournament/...r_schedule.htm

The names and faces of their team don't seem particularly Asian to me !! Could be some eligibility issues ahead.

Geoff
    But the OCA doesn't use IIHF eligibility requirements, so it might pass. We're a year and a half away from the SEA Games as is. Howe er, the Philippines would be hard to judge since it has such a large contingent of non-ethnic Philippinos due to Spanish and American colonialism.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

OCA doesn't use IIHF eligibility, but I'm pretty sure they're going to require any athletes to be citizens and not foreign expats.
    Don't expect a Philippines national team to look anything like the one in that tournament.

IHF Member
    Might be a situation like Kyrgyzstan who were much stronger in the AWG than they have been in the CCoA.

Geoff

Geoff: Kyrgyzstan had a team of dual-nat Russians for AWG who would not fulfill IIHF regulations for CCoA, hence the discrepancy.

The Philippine team you saw there doesn't look like it's even that, just a bunch of expats from wherever.

IHF Member
    Yes, makes me wonder what eligibility rules the OCA use ( passport only ? ) and why they don't use IIHF rules. Presumably the Olympics use IIHF eligibility rules, don't they ?

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Geoff: Kyrgyzstan had a team of dual-nat Russians for AWG who would not fulfill IIHF regulations for CCoA, hence the discrepancy.

The Philippine team you saw there doesn't look like it's even that, just a bunch of expats from wherever.

Olympics do, because it's a IIHF-run tournament.
    Other Games, like the AWG or SEAG, have their own organizers and can use different regulations if they want. Which is why you'll see non-IIHF members take part as well.

IHF Member
    More on Philippines development from NToIH.

Seems they've no intention of sticking to IIHF eligibilty criteria.

http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey....ar-10-29-15-10

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 30-10-2015 at 10:22.

They'll never be approved for IIHF competition that way - will have to stick to exhibition and club tournaments.

As for the guy who runs it - saying the best ice hockey teams in Asia come from 'China, Japan and Hong Kong'????

Um, OK. 1 out of 3 ain't bad, I guess.

Perhaps his 'national' team would like to tangle with some Asia League teams out of Korea or Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    More on Philippines development from NToIH.

Seems they've no intention of sticky to IIHF eligibilty criteria.

http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey....ar-10-29-15-10
    The Finland based IIHF? Is that any relation to the (actual) Swiss one, per chance? I enjoy the contradiction of saying they need to develop youth players and immediately after stating they're looking for foreign players to bring in.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Ok... so that article looks to be copied from the Philippine Star, which doesn't excuse the lack of fact-checking on a few of these blatant errors.
    Best teams in Asia are from (respectively): KHL/VHL/AL squads in RUS, KHL/VHL/Kazakh League squads from KAZ, AL teams from JPN and KOR, then you can look at Chinese teams I guess.

Also, the description of the team that won the Hong Kong tournament has about 2 names that hold a passport and could represent the Philippines in a non-IIHF tournament, along with all the foreigners they could give a passport to. They wouldn't qualify for a IIHF tournament, not even close, and this article just confirms that.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Ok... so that article looks to be copied from the Philippine Star, which doesn't excuse the lack of fact-checking on a few of these blatant errors.
    Best teams in Asia are from (respectively): KHL/VHL/AL squads in RUS, KHL/VHL/Kazakh League squads from KAZ, AL teams from JPN and KOR, then you can look at Chinese teams I guess.

Also, the description of the team that won the Hong Kong tournament has about 2 names that hold a passport and could represent the Philippines in a non-IIHF tournament, along with all the foreigners they could give a passport to. They wouldn't qualify for a IIHF tournament, not even close, and this article just confirms that.
    Based on this article there seem to be many things wrong with plans for Philippine hockey. The main issue for me is that if they field an expat/diaspora team in the SE Asia Games it will be totally unfair to the likes of Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia who've worked so hard on local development.

Geoff

Also completely unproductive.

IHF Member
    Here is the full schedule for next month's event.

https://www.kualalumpur2017.com.my/s...Ice_Hockey.pdf

A straight round robin played over five days ,so each team plays four games in 5 days , with two of them playing on four straight days. Tough schedule.

Thailand start as strong favourites with only Philippines looking as though they might challenge them. As ever at this amateur level team strength will depend on eligibility and availability.

Geoff

Thread Information