Thread: 2022 Olympics, Beijing, China

Olympics 2022 Olympics, Beijing, China

Well folks, it's official. Today, the IOC chose Beijing, China as the site for the 2022 Olympics.
    The city will be the first to host both a summer and a winter Olympic Games, and will repurpose and reuse six venues from the 2008 summer Games.
    I've heard plenty of uninformed commentary on sports radio today about how China will no doubt ramp up their program to try and qualify for the tournament and not embarrass themselves, pointing to the drafting of a Chinese player in this year's NHL Entry Draft as evidence that it can be done.

It took all my self-control not to call in and tell them exactly how much work would have to be done for that to happen, and how it would take at least three times as long as the 7 years they have... but *shrug* whatever.

Here's a thread for commentary, updates, news and anything else related to the 2022 Games and its hockey tournament.

Yeah, China will definitely not be getting the same shot South Korea is because while the Koreans are a pretty big step behind the top 12 in the world, China is light years behind the top 12. At least their women's team will get to play in front of the home crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Well folks, it's official. Today, the IOC chose Beijing, China as the site for the 2022 Olympics.
    The city will be the first to host both a summer and a winter Olympic Games, and will repurpose and reuse six venues from the 2008 summer Games.
    I fail to see how the Beijing bid defeated Almaty's when the IOC have been pressuring hosts to reduce the distances between venues. Beijing has a 210 km spread more than Almaty's, not to mention Beijing's "mountain cluster" hardly gets snow - shades of concern from Sochi or Vancouver, anyone? China will have to get their construction guys up there as they need to build more than Kazakhstan would have planned to. No idea how the IOC figure that China has more "sports experience" than Kazakhstan as well. Certainly wouldn't have considered men's ice hockey or luge into that estimate nor...

The Kazakh government must be miffed about this one, having won the bids for the 2011 Asian Winter Games and 2017 Winter Universiade was done for the intention of gaining experience to host the 2022 Olympics.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

At least Kazakhstan's programs, both men and women, are in fairly good shape. Obviously the men's team is an elevator one and the women's is a bit behind, but when compared to the progress China needs, whoo boy it's going to be interesting. The general lack of snow in China has to be an absolute concern, as well.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    At least Kazakhstan's programs, both men and women, are in fairly good shape. Obviously the men's team is an elevator one and the women's is a bit behind, but when compared to the progress China needs, whoo boy it's going to be interesting. The general lack of snow in China has to be an absolute concern, as well.
    From a NA standpoint, this will be the second straight tournament held in Asia, with the huge time zone changes.
    Is this going to hasten the NHL's rumoured departure from the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    From a NA standpoint, this will be the second straight tournament held in Asia, with the huge time zone changes.
    Is this going to hasten the NHL's rumoured departure from the Olympics?
    As long as the Players Association have a say, it will be difficult. If they players struggle to cope with the 9-12 hour change twice in two weeks, some of their opinions might be swayed before 2022.

IHF Member
    China is a big market so think the NHL will want to be involved in this.

Quote Originally Posted by grazza View Post
    China is a big market so think the NHL will want to be involved in this.
    Not sure. You'd think they would make some effort but nope!

IHF Prospect
    I don't see it happening, especially now with the World Cup, I do expect some NHL players to leave their teams and play no matter what.

China gets auto entry as the 12th men's team. Women's tournament could be up to 10 teams.

One hopes the "gubment" makes manslaughter legal or all the other teams will be detained. Or expect a fat check to force the IIHF to wave the 2/4-year eligibility requirements. You pick.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    China gets auto entry as the 12th men's team. Women's tournament could be up to 10 teams.

One hopes the "gubment" makes manslaughter legal or all the other teams will be detained. Or expect a fat check to force the IIHF to wave the 2/4-year eligibility requirements. You pick.
    Or expect "Chinese" players showing up that resemble known players but have totally different papers ;-)

Thread Information