Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erste Bank Eishockey Liga 2015/2016

IHF Staff
    So on Friday Linz beat Salzburg 5:2 on the road with a performance so far unseen in the pick-round by the Blackwings. As Red Bulls starting goalie Luca Gracnar stalls since quite some time the Bulls have reacted and hired a new netminder: Juuso Riksman (FIN) who has played for HC Pustertal in the Italian Serie A before.
    Znojmo got a 6:4 home win against HC Bozen and Dornbirn beat Vienna 3:2 after SO. In the standings Salzburg and Znaim are now tied at 14pts, Linz follows in 3rd place with 12pts. Vienna with 11pts, Dornbirn 7pts and Bozen with 6pts conclude the field. After the 6 rounds played so far the goal difference is +1 for Red Bull and Znojmo, 0 for Linz and Vienna and -1 for Dornbirn and Bozen...pretty competitive.

In the qualification round Klagenfurt beat Villach 3:2 in OT taking at least some revenge for the defeat against the archrivals VSV (23pts/7gp) on Tuesday. The 2pts against the leaders give KAC (now at 15pts/gp) some room in the race for the last play-off spot. Innsbruck got 2pts on the road in Fehervar (3:2 after SO) the Tyroleans thereby remain in contention for the play-offs but can't really afford to lose more points (11pts/6gp). Fehervar (8pts/7gp) now need a miracle to make it. Graz is now at 10pts after the 1:0 shoot-out win against Ljubljana (28 penalty shots needed to find the winner), the 99ers can still make it but it is highly unlikely. Olimpija is firmly on the bottom with 3pts.

IHF Staff
    EBEL goes into round 8 of the pick and qualifying round today.
    In the top 6 round leader Salzburg will face 5th placed Vienna Capitals. As reported Salzburg has hired goalie Juuso Riksman and scratched netminder Matthias Weinhandl and forward Marco Brucker in order to get the necessary player points. Furthermore, Znojmo (new goaltender Lukas from Sparta Prague just hired by the south Moravians) will host Linz in the battle for 2nd place (debut for Linz' new defender Travis Roche). Dornbirn, currently 4th, plays 6th placed HC Bozen. The Italians have re-signed defender Davide Nicoletti (Valpellice Bulldogs) in favour of Roland Hofer (D).

In the qualification round leader Villach travels to Graz (3rd place), for the 99ers its a must win if they want to hang on to the small chance of sneaking past Klagenfurt into the quarterfinals. KAC faces Fehervar in Hungary, AV19 is already out of contention and has released defender Aaron Brocklehurst who transferred to DEL's Hamburg Freezers. Ljubljana hosts Innsbruck for a game with next to nothing at stake (theoretically Innsbruck could still make it though).

IHF Staff
    With yesterday's games the play-off participants are all set as Klagenfurt came back from 4-0 in Fehervar to win the game 5-4 taking all 3 points. As Graz lost to Villach the 99ers are out of contention and for Innsbruck the win against Ljubljana is futile as the Tyroleans can't pass KAC anymore.

In the pick round all three games ended with just one goal difference, Znojmo beat Linz by 4:3 (awful record of the Blackwings against Znojmo over the season) and so the Czechs move into a point wise tied 2nd place behind Salzburg (both 17pts). The Red Bulls lost a close and rough game (about 170 PIM and a brawl after the final buzzer that extended into the hallway to the locker rooms) in Vienna (final score 5-4 Caps). Dornbirn beat Bozen by 4:3 which leaves the Bulldogs and Caps in 3rd and 4th place with 14pts each. Linz is 5th with 13pts and Bozen 6th (10pts). So still plenty of constellations for the top 4 spots possible.

IHF Staff
    In the aftermath of Tuesday's Vienna vs. Salzburg game suspensions have been given to three players: Danny Bois (Capitals) 1 game for excessive roughness, Matt Dzieduszicky (Caps) 1 game for fighting and Brett Sterling (Salzburg) 2 games for a slashing incident against Caps' defender Philippe Lakos that almost chopped off the last segment of Lakos' pinkie which needed to be fixed in a multi-hour operation (unclear if entirely successful). Sterling is still under investigation for an incident involving a linesman in the same game.

One game her, one game there maybe a second one like for Sterling (repeated offender), not sure if that does the job.

IHF Member
    Seems like pretty even race up there on top... While on the bottom we have "the usual suspects".

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kosa View Post
    Seems like pretty even race up there on top... While on the bottom we have "the usual suspects".
    Pretty tight in the top group, right!
    Games 10 of the pick and qualifying rounds were played today. Salzburg slacked off against Bozen (1:4) at home risking their first place as with a win of Vienna in Linz the Capitals would have surpassed them and taken the top spot. But Linz showed a sign of life with getting their only the 3rd regulation time win (4:3) of the pick round (again a comeback win) and so saved the Red Bull's #1 position. Virtually the Caps were at first place until as late as 5' to the end of the game but with the Blackwings' two late goals (both by topscorer Andrew Kozek) and Znojmo's combeack win against Dorbirn at the same time Vienna end up third (17pts). The second place (tied in points with Salzburg at 20) goes to the Eagles of Znojmo which qualifies the Czechs for CHL 2016/17. With their win in Salzburg Bozen grabbed the last home ice advantage spot for the quarterfinals ahead of Linz (both teams 16pts) due to head-to-head advantage. Dornbirn finish 6th (14pts) the Bulldogs lead the game until 12' to the end and with a win would have ended up in a 3-way tie for third place with Znojmo and Vienna (and if I'm not mistaken the Bulldogs would have beaten both in the tie breakers!) So it was really tight...

In the qualifying round Villach beat Innsbruck for an almost flawless record (8 regulaton time wins, 2 OT losses), Klagenfurt ended Graz' season with an 7:2 rout and Fhervar got a last win of the season against Ljubljana.

Tomorrow the picks for the quarterfinals will be made (live broadcast by ServusTV). Just to place a guess, here's my take on how the pairings will look like:

Salzburg-KAC (4 reg. time wins for Salzburg, +14 goals, still KAC is a name that draws)
    Znojmo-Linz (11:7 pts in 6 games for Znojmo, Linz fans are keen on travelling and Znojmo's not too far)
    Caps-VSV (although Villach stormed through the qualifying round, the Caps are in great shape and Dornbirn is at least equally dangerous and draws less)
    Bozen-Dornbirn

IHF Staff
    Picks for the quarterfinals are made, here's what the coaches and managers of the top 3 have figured out:

Red Bull Salzburg - KAC (my only correct guess)
    HC Znojmo - EC Dornbirn
    Vienna Caps - VSV
    HC Bozen - Linz

IHF Member
    No, you've also guessed Caps taking on Villach. I (correctly) believed no one would want Linz, despite their weak form in pick round.

My predictions for the series:

Red Bull Salzburg - KAC 4-1
    HC Znojmo - EC Dornbirn 4-3
    Vienna Caps - VSV 4-2
    HC Bozen - Linz 3-4

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kosa View Post
    No, you've also guessed Caps taking on Villach. I (correctly) believed no one would want Linz, despite their weak form in pick round.

My predictions for the series:

Red Bull Salzburg - KAC 4-1
    HC Znojmo - EC Dornbirn 4-3
    Vienna Caps - VSV 4-2
    HC Bozen - Linz 3-4
    Caps vs Villach was correct too thanks :D

you are right about Linz, apparently teams didn't dare to pick them despite the weak pick-round. As a Blackwings fan I am probably biased negatively but I think they have lost the momentum completely towards the end of the regular season. The first line is still deadly (esp on PP) but they lack scoring punch from the second and third lines and the whole team (foremost the defense pair of Piché and Dorion with their super-offense oriented approach to the game) is pretty shaky defensively. So put together I am absolutely not sure if right now Dornbirn or Villach are not the tougher opponents than Linz.
    But its nice to have the series Bozen-Linz again this year. Last season the Foxes were just about to eliminate Linz, only home ice advantage saved the Blackwings (they narrowly one their 4 home games and clearly lost the away games in Italy...). Looking forward to it but I wouldn't bet a lot on them.

Prediction time:

Salzburg - KAC 4:1
    Znojmo - Dornbirn 4:3
    Vienna - VSV 4:1
    Bolzano - Linz 4:2

I guess Linz's weapons are their top 2 lines which are scary good on offence, whereas Bolzano might have a small advantage when it comes to offensive depth (a 3rd line of Palmieri-Foster-Pollastrone does not hurt). With the return of Nicoletti they also seem to have (finally) found a way to get the PP working. Will be a tied series just as last year, but of course with a different outcome

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilHell37 View Post
    Prediction time:

Salzburg - KAC 4:1
    Znojmo - Dornbirn 4:3
    Vienna - VSV 4:1
    Bolzano - Linz 4:2

I guess Linz's weapons are their top 2 lines which are scary good on offence, whereas Bolzano might have a small advantage when it comes to offensive depth (a 3rd line of Palmieri-Foster-Pollastrone does not hurt). With the return of Nicoletti they also seem to have (finally) found a way to get the PP working. Will be a tied series just as last year, but of course with a different outcome
    Hah, dead wrong on the most important game :D

Here's the results of game #1 of the quarterfinals (bo7)

RBS-KAC 4:1 (1:0)
    ZNO-ECD 1:3 (0:1)
    VIC-VSV 2:3 (0:1)
    HCB-BWL 3:5 (0:1)

Three road wins, doesn't happen all too often. Znojmo continue to not be a play-off team losing home ice advantage to Dornbirn. Vienna were convincing during much of the pick round but failed to keep it up against Villach who easil walked through the qualification round. Vienna defender Troy Milam got suspended afterwards for 3+2 games for an attack against a linesman. With Milam and also Philippe Lakos out the Caps defense is definitely weakend increasing VSV's chances. And the Blackwings of Linz surprised me pleasantly by obviously having found the play-off mode button. In a tough game unfortunately Bozen's Brendan Bell got hurt in kneeing incident of Patrick Spannring (himself playing with a brace due to a knee injury) who got suspended for three games (and will thus sit out the rest of the series ;-).
    Salzburg struggled against KAC initially but once the Bulls had equalized the lead of Klagenfurt in the second period things went smooth for the defending champions.

Next game day tomorrow, here's my guess:

BWL-HCB 5:4 OT
    KAC-RBS 2:4
    VSV-VIC 3:2
    ECD-HCZ 3:4 OT

IHF Member
    It seems like we will see equally interesting and equal series as it was upper half of the pick-round, again, with exception of Salzburg that looks pretty comfortable...

My predictions:

BWL-HCB 3:4 OT
    KAC-RBS 1:4
    VSV-VIC 3:1
    ECD-HCZ 3:2
    Last edited by the_kosa; 28-02-2016 at 12:14. Reason: Added my predictions

IHF Staff
    We're both not too far off :D

BWL-HCB 4:3
    ECD-HCZ 5:0
    VSV-VIC 4:1
    KAC-RBS 2:3

Interesting thing is that the quarterfinals overall are quite clear now with all four series being at 2:0 but in three the lower seeded teams lead. Dornbirn is impressive, handing Znojmo a 5:0 defeat is a fet even though the Czechs simply don't seem to be a play-off team (wonder if they again have a goaltending issue...).
    Vienna seems overwhelmed by Villach two clear losses, kudos to Villach. KC gave Salzburg a run for their money tonight, but if they can't win at home dispite lokking the better team, i guess they aren't. Linz powerplay is still awesome, Bozen's isn't. If it stays like this the Blackwings will move on.

IHF Staff
    Games #3 are up tonight, all series are at 2:0. Any team getting a 3:0 lead is as good as through as only one team in the league's history (and I guess there's not too many more in professional hockey overall) has ever come back from a 3 game deficit to win a best of 7 series (just to mention it was Linz 3 years ago). Here's my predictions:

RBS-KAC 4:1
    ZNO-DEC 3:2
    HCB-BWL 2:1 OT
    VIC-VSV 5:4

Anyone keen on getting a glimpse of the game Salzburg-Klagenfurt, it's streamed right now on
    http://www.servustv.com/at/Live

And btw, check out that goal of Konstantin Komarek's for the RedBulls against KAC on Sunday - we've seen it before but nevertheless well done!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwC8Mlcg0ns
    Last edited by RexKramer; 01-03-2016 at 20:42.

IHF Member
    Yes, great goal, always nice to see! Swette didn't stand a chance there. I have weird working hours, so I mostly manage to only look at the highlights of the games of interest.

Now all series are at 2:1, my predictions for Friday:

BWL-HCB 3:2
    KAC-RBS 2:3 OT
    ECD-HCZ 2:3 OT

IHF Staff
    Results from Tuesday, games #3:

RBS - KAC 3:6 Strong performance by Klagenfurt, just as the game before where Salzburg just narrowly managed to tie and win the game. This time KAC also scored the necessary goals, big question is if they can keep it up, consistency has been no virtue of Klagenfurt so far. Series 2-1

HCB-BWL 5:4 OT Thriller in the "Eiswelle" of Bozen in which the team in the lead changed three times, Joel Broda tied the game for the South Tyroleans 15'' to the end and in OT (no more shoot-outs in the play-offs) Bozen killed off two penalties and scored the game winner after 12' giving the Foxes their first win in the series. Linz' forward Fabio Hofer is on fire leading the play-off goal scoring list with 4 goals (all scored in Bozen, interestingly). Bad luck for Linz is the loss of captain Philipp Lukas who suffered an injury and will probably not come back this season. Series 1-2

ZNO-ECD 3:1 The Czechs also got their first win in the series, hard fought game with an empty net goal to seal the game. Series 1-2

VIC-VSV 2:1 OT The Caps also got their first win as they outshot VSV heavily but still only won it in OT (Game winner after 14'. Vienna lost captain Jonathan Ferland who had recently gotten much better than during the season where he was mostly invisible with a eye injury (don't know how severe). Series 1-2

Game #4 in all series tomorrow, I guess that any of the leading teams winning tomorrow will also win the series.

My predictions:
    KAC-RBS 4:5 OT
    BWL-HCB 4:2
    ECD-HCZ 3:4 OT

Today's Game 4 between Linz and Bolzano (19.15) can be watched live here: http://www.video33.it/Livestream
    Laola1.tv will have VSV-Caps, whereas ServusTV will broadast Znojmo - Dornbirn.

My predictions for today:
    KAC - Red Bull 1:3
    Dornbirn - Znojmo 3:4
    Linz - HCB 3:5 (it's time to finally win in Linz in the playoffs ;-)
    VSV - Vienna 3:1 (Lamoreux is the league's best goalie and he's on fire)

IHF Staff
    Wrap-up from Friday:

KAC-RBS 4:2 Klagenfurt is getting serious, two convincing wins in a row and also the series' second game was pretty good despite the loss. That makes three consecutive strong games, seems as they have finally found consistency. Slzburg will have to react today otherwise the Bulls are in real trouble. Series 2-2

BWL-HCB 2:3 Bozen also gets the seond win in row, Linz struggled with the offensive output and an awful give-away for a shorthander by Bozen's Markus Gander proved to be the game breaker for the Blackwings. The Lukas brothers are both out which is hard to compensate and also Travis Roche had to pull out of the game. It's getting tight for the Upper Austrians and the momentum is clearly on the Foxes' side now. Series 2-2

VSV-VIC 3:2 OT Vienna, who are weakened by several payers missing out, got close to earn themselves a second win and took Villach to overtime but Rick Schofield decided the game with a penalty shot onl 22'' into OT, making this the only series ont tied after four games (3-1). Back to the wall for the Caps now.

ECD-HCZ 2:3 OT Very bitter loss for the Bulldogs, Dornbirn was leading 2-1 until almost 2' to the end in a rather unspectacular and even game when Roman Tomas out of nowhere tied it with a once in a hundred attempts rocket blast from outside the face-off circle that beat Florian Hardy in the near top corner. To make matters worse for the hosts and to the joy of Znojmo just 40'' into OT a pass from Colton Yellow-Horn almost along the goal line git weirdly deflected by a defenseman and bounced over Hardy into the net to get Znojmo the win. Series 2-2

Very exciting play-offs so far three tied series after 4 games and in none of those there's a really clear cut favorite...

My predictions for today:

RBS-KAC 4:3 OT
    HCB-BWL 5:3
    VIC-VSV 3:2
    HCZ-ECD 6:4

IHF Staff
    Recap game day #5

VIC - VSV 2:3 OT The Caps fought hard and it was a close game that could have gone either way but in the end Villach took it with a nice deflection of a shot from Markus Schlacher by Dustin Johner that beat Nathan Lawson in the Caps' goal. Against a fully manned and well prepared squad from Villach the Caps with their depleted roster (didn't mention so far that playmaking whirlwind Rafael Rotter is out as well) were simply not good enough. Nevertheless it was a tight series as three of five games went to OT and only one had more than a goal separating the teams in the final score. Villach wins series 4-1

RBS - KAC 3:4 OT Red Bull Salzburg is in trouble now...Klagenfurt put up a very good game again, coming back from a 3:1 deficit to take the game to OT where returnee Thomas Koch scored the game winner. Wouldn't bet a lot on Salzburg anymore. Series 2-3

HCB - BWL 4:6 Re-break for Linz who take back home ice advantage (that didn't mean all too much in this series so far). Linz was very efficient, the PP worked again (3 PP goals) and scoring was well distributed over the first three lines. Bozen were unhappy with some decisions the officials (not fully without a reason) took and the almost sell-out crowd of 7k got really upset on the performance of the refs throwing items on the ice which brought their team another minor penalty. Bozen was again very harmless on their PPs seems as the loss of Brendan Bell is heavy. Back to the wall now for the Foxes, series 2-3.

HCZ-ECD 5:2 Third win in a row for the Czechs, this time not a lucky one like on Friday but a based on a solid performance. Series 3-2

Fantastic play-offs so far, next games tomorrow.

Damn, I knew that when RexKramer predicts Bolzano to win, it was all just part of his plan to jinx the Foxes ;)

Unfortunately, terrible (the same ones from Game 1) officiating ruined the game again. However, when you let in 6 goals on home ice, you can't really expect to win.
    Great though to see a sold-out Palaonda in a quarter final game! Wow! I do no think it was ever sold out for a game which was not a final. Just wish there were less idiots in the stands thinking that they can change the referee's decisions by throwing things on the ice (which in the end is only going to harm the club and the team).
    Anyway, can't wait for Game 7 on Friday

Regarding the Vienna Capitals: I watched lots of Capitals game this season and what they were most lacking was discipline, which is something I do not understand because they put together a really experienced team. Best example was Milam pushing a linesman in the last 10 seconds in Game 1 (which got him suspended for 3 games).
    I think if Vienna tried to sign the right players instead of players with great curricula they would do much better. After all, it's a team that wins championships and not the numbers of NHL and NLA experience your player have. Plus, some of their core guys like Rotter and Ferland are not the easiest to coach. Sure, the injuries did not help them at the end as well, but even without a couple of players they should still have a good enough roster to win more than one playoff game.

Villach on the other hand has a roster without any big stars, but 4 equal lines and probably the league's best goalkeeper in Lamoureux. And it also showed why pickung up a couple of players from Bolzano's championship winning team can be a good thing. Rick Schofield's incredible hands and vision alongisde Ziga Pance's hard work are always dangerous. Whoever they face in the semis, they will be a tough opponent for sure.

Linz wins Game 6 3-2 in OT and moves on to the quarters. Bolzano was dominating almost the entire game, but could not score the timely goals whereas Linz did (like the game tier with 46 seconds left... I think Hübl begins to have nightmares about Fabio Hofer). In OT Vause had Ouzas beaten, but Piche somehow made an incredible jump to stop the puck with his stick. On the other side Brett McLean got the lucky bounce and that was it.

Too bad, they would have deserved a Game 7. And another sold-out game would not have been bad financially either.

Anyway, a good season by the Foxes. This team was surely fun to watch and brought great attendance back to Palaonda.
    Now I hope that this year we will have a normal off-season like every other team. I think if they do have one, an average attendance of 3000 is definitely possible. Plus, not having to build the roster from scratch would also be pleasant.

In the other games Znojmo knocked out Dornbirn and Salzburg forced Game 7 against Klagenfurt.

IHF Staff
    Well Linz was pretty flat yesterday, really worrying for Bozen that they couldn't convert their dominance into more than 2 goals. But then now they don't need to worry anymore ;-)
    The Blackwings just had 10 strong minutes and that was when they started to pressure late in the third which culminated in Hofer's gtg (great series by him) 45'' to the end. The Foxes had all chances to finish it in OT but Ouzas, a good deal of sheer luck and Piché's diving save prevented it. The game winner by Mc Leancan can happen anytime, the guy is a genius on the ice, not very spectacular but everything he does is done well and with a plan. Somehow I think this was the mirror image of game 3 when Bozen tied it just before the end and Linz wasted 2 PP opportunities in OT.

Anyway, the Blackwings seem to be exhausted already, I hope that some of the key players who don't seem to be fully fit will recover in the time until the semis start.

BWL- HCB 3:2 OT Series 4:2

In Klagenfurt the hosts could not prolong their streak of 3 wins and 4 strong performances, Salzburg tied the series with fairly easy (also with help of KAC goalie Rene Swette who looked kind of shaky) yesterday although the score was still close. Friday we'll have the only game 7 of the quarterfinals.

KAC - RBS 2:3 Series 3:3

The Znojmo - Dornbirn series also came to an end, the Czechs were the more efficient team in a fairly even contest and had the right answer to a late rally of the Bulldogs who cut the deficit from 3:0 to 3:2 quickly in the third period. With the 4:2 the resistance of the Bulldogs was more or less broken and the empty netter later on was irrelevant. This is the first ever play-off series Znojmo won in EBEL. The neck breaker for Dornbirn was certainly game #4 when they were leading until about 2' to the end and had to concede the equalizer from a lucky punch of a shot and the game winner in OT due to a freak goal. Great to watch for Znojmo is Colton Yellow-Horn, superb season by him.

ECD - HCZ 2:5 Series 2:4

For the semifinals there's two scenarios that can arise: if the Red Bulls make it they will face Villach (and Znojmo-Linz), should KAC pull off the surprise it will be Znojmo-Klagenfurt and Linz-Villach.

IHF Member
    Znojmo should probably be very happy if Salzburg manages a win tomorrow. They have better score with Linz than KAC, and Linz looks tired and bugged with injuries. Also, Linz always draws good crowd to Znojmo.

IHF Staff
    The semifinals have started yesterday and -what a surprise- both series are now at 1:0 :D

Znojmo-Linz 3:4
    Pretty similar game than the last one of the Blackwings against Bozen, Znojmo was the dominant team but the Blackwings defense and a superb Mike Ouzas didn't allow more then 3 goals. On the other side Linz was very efficient and used their chances well and the Czechs paid dearly for a few defensive lapses...
    So it's a great start for the Blackwings but I'm pretty sure that Znojmo will come back. The Wings seem not to be able to match Znojmo in gaining and keeping puck possession and if Ouzas should have a even a slightly worse game it will be very hard to win a game when the opponent has that much offensive overweight.

Salzburg-Villach 2:1 OT
    Very close one with Villach seeming to have the upper hand for most of the game but a lack of scoring efficiency on behalf of VSV allowed the Bulls to get a win kind of against the flow of the game. Maybe Salzburg was still a bit tired after the game #7 against KAC on Friday.

With Salzburg having a sure spot in CHL and Znojmo being qualified due to their second place behind the Bulls in the pick-round the final EBEL spot for the next CHL season will go to either Linz or Villach depending on which of those clubs does better in the rest of the play-offs. Interesting scenario is when neither of them makes it to the final but I guess the Blackwings would get the spot in this case as they were ranked better in the regular season.

IHF Staff
    After game #2 of the semifinals both series are tied. Znojmo gets a convincing road win against Linz (3:0 including an ENG) getting home ice advantage back and also Villach shut out their opponent beating Salzburg 2:0 (in Villach). Both, the Czechs and the Carinthians seem to be fitter and have more energy rolling 4 lines more consistently and overpowering their opponents.

Games #3 on Friday.

IHF Staff
    Game #3 (March 18th), Znojmo beats Linz at home 3:2 to make it 2:1 in the series and also Villach wins the second in a row (3:4 in Salzburg) to make it 2:1 in the series. In game #4 (March 20th) Linz turned things around in one of the most dramtic games have seen in a long time beating the Czechs 7:5. In this game the lead changed no less than 4 times and the Blackwings had to kill off plenty of penalties (including a minor during a 5' penalty for topscorer Andrew Kozek). The Blackwings offense again had the scoring touch and goalie Mike Ouzas was brilliant in this game backstopping his team to the win for the 2:2 in the series. Salzburg also struck back in game four beating Villach quite clearly despite the tight score (2:1 in OT).

The fifth games of the series are on right now...

IHF Staff
    In game #5 Znojmo beat Linz 4:2 (including an empty netter), deserved win by the Czechs who controlled much of the game and dominated especially in the second period. In the third Linz got better and levelled the score at 2 but after a late and unnecessary penalty for Marc-Andre Dorion Znojmo used the PP to make it 3:2. With the extra attacker the Blackwings had one great chance to tie it again but failed and Znojmo scored the ENG. This time Lukas was again in net for HCZ but didn't seem all too secure as well - so the goalie position is still a weak spot of the Eagles. Series 3:2 in favour of Znojmo.
    In the other series Salzburg beat Villach with the standard score of 2:1 (third time out of five games). The Bulls controlled the game fairly well and only after the late goal of Villach I had the impression the Eagles were somehow close to turn it around. series 3:2 to Salzburg.

Next game day is already tomorrow as on Good Friday public sports events are normally not held (and even explicitly forbidden by law in Carinthia...).

IHF Staff
    Game over for Linz and Villach in game 6 of the semis. Znojmo got the 4th win yesterday in Linz beating the hosts with 5:2. Despite weaker goaltending the Czechs were overall the better team in this series, the Blackwings were out of steam and couldn't match what Znojmo put up. Same story in Villach where VSV lost to Red Bull Salzburg with, guess what, 2:1.
    So the EBEL finals 2015/16 is Salzburg against Znojmo. The Czechs steadily worked their way up since they joined the league and certainly are competitive also against Salzburg but I do expect the Bulls to win it once again.
    And before I forget, with both Linz and Villach eliminated in the semifinals the last EBEL spot for CHL 2016 goes to the Blackwings. At least something.
    Last edited by RexKramer; 25-03-2016 at 11:18.

Just to show where Olimpija currently sits. During this season they have increased (%) overall attendance, however, the numbers are very low. They have sold four times as many season tickets as last year, but the number is only 182. This way they managed to earn 18.000€. During the whole season they have sold 4.380 tickets, 1.322 more than last year (all numbers were provided by Olimpija's president).

This is unsustainable (the club already has issues with a heavy debt from earlier seasons).

IHF Staff
    The first two games of the EBEL finals are already played, last Friday saw a quite convincing 4:2 home win of Red Bull Salzburg against HC Znojmo. Yesterday the Czechs struck back and won their home game 5:3 due to a furious third period effort after already being down 3:1. Man of the math for the hosts was the league's oldest player, former Slovak international Peter Pucher (41) who scored the equalizer for the 3:3 and assisted the GWG. Znojmo's Hostan arena was sold out, as far as I know the first time in their EBEL history. Salzburg forward Brett Sterling, an instigator and "pest" like there is no other in the league, got himself a 5+GM 4 minutes to the end when his team was down 4:3 for a (pseudo) spearing on a Znojmo player and so deprived his team the chance to tie it again.
    So far a really great to watch final series, to teams with different approaches to the game who deliver fast paced and intense games.
    Last edited by RexKramer; 04-04-2016 at 11:14.

IHF Staff
    Game four of the EBEL final is up tonight, on Tuesday Znojmo won in Salzburg b 7:3 clinching the 2:1 series lead and home ice advantage.
    On Tuesday the Red Bulls started quite well and were the more active team but failed to get really dangerous. Znojmo in turn scored twice and never looked back. From the middle period on the Czechs were the better team increasing the lead to 5:1. Salzburg closed the gap late in the game to 5:3 but instead of a tense and defensive end to the game Znojmo added two more (no empty netters) to finally win it 7:3.
    Salzburg didn't win a game in Znojmo so far the whole season (and also most of the last) so by now the Eagles of Znojmo are on a very good way to the league title.

IHF Staff
    On Friday Red Bull Salzburg struck beack defeating Znojmo on the road with 6:2, tying the series at 2. In the first period Salzburg was all over the Czechs outskating the hosts and jumping to a 2:0 lead. In the middle period Znojmo got better and coud keep the game open but was never close to level the score. Man of the match for Salzburg definitely veteran forward Manue Latusa with 2 important goals (1st and 3rd). The Eagles were, however, apparently weakened by some flue bug and for instance defendseman Andre Lakos who was among the players with the most ice time for Znojmo in the playoffs had to pull out after the first period. After Salzburg scored their 3rd goal Znojmo coach Jiri Reznar also pulled goalie Jan Lukas and continued with Patrik Nechvatal. For Salzburg bad boy forward (and topscorer) Brett Sterling returned in this game after coach Ratushny kept him benched for the entire 3rd game as a reaction to Sterling's spearing game misconduct penalty in game 2. Sterling had apparently learned his lesson and stayed out of trouble but still got himself on the scoreboard again.
    Close to the end of the game things got rough when Martin Podesva rammed Dominique Heinrich into the boards - full line brawl on and Salzburg's Daniel Welser showed off some very decent fighting skills. Before the game had started HC Orli defender Libor Sulak was awared the league's young star of the season trophy - very well deserved as 22yr old Sulak has showed a great performance especially in the pla-offs. Guess we won't see that young man in Znojmo for all too long.
    Game #5 is up in a few minutes.

IHF Staff
    Game #5 of the EBEL finals sees Salzburg getting a pretty convincing home win against HC Znojmo (4:2) which gives the Bulls a 3:2 lead in the series. Similar to game 4 on Friday the Czechs looked kind of energyless and could not really match the pace of the hosts. Salzburg forward Manuel Latusa showed his brilliant shape once again and scored the 1: 0 for the Bulls. Znojmo needs to find some magic potion to get them back to the high intensity game that brought them the wins in the second and third game otherwise there's a very good chance the series is going to end tomorrow in southern Moravia.

IHF Staff
    And its over. Red Bull Salzburg wins game 6 of the finals in Znojmo 4:3 to defend the EBEL championship title (series 4:2). After their dominant win in game 3 Znojmo lost the momentum when Salzburg responded with a powerful effort in game 4 and simply couldn't get back. The games were still close but the Red Bulls always had an answer and looked to have more gas in the tank than the Czechs who were struggling with a fairly short bench on defense after they lost Andre Lakos (still in hospital apparently) and also Lubomir Stach. Goaltending was an issue too, although Jan Lukas who played most of the series was good, Juso Riksman for Salzburg was just the more mature and sound keeper. Also to mention is Salzburg's Brett Sterling who was absolutely instrumental imho for the Bulls. Sterling scored many important goals and with his (borderline) "pest" approach to the game got deep under the skin of the Czech players. No matter where he shows up there's always some kind of provocation or slightly dirty move involved which got him a fair share of abuse and penalties but overall he got on the Znojmo players' nerves more than what he cost his own team...a player everyone would hate to play against (and almost everyone would love to have on the team).
    Overall Salzburg was the best team over the whole season and so it is a well deserved championship.

IHF Member
    Congratulations to Salzburg. I'm still sad that Znojmo didn't pushed the series for at least one more game. They could have psychological advantage if they won yesterday, although I agree, Salzburg looked more mature and better team overall. It still is good success for Znojmo who finally found their way through play-offs. It was an interesting season, I hope gap between the bottom teams and the top will further reduce in next year.

IHF Staff
    A 7th game would have been great, no doubt. Was a very interesting series.

IHF Member
    Thanks for all your EBEL updates, Rex. Always interesting to read. Saw a fair bit of the play offs on Servus. Very enjoyable to watch.

I see that Red Bull Munich could complete a Red Bull double by winning the DEL play offs. My question was how much funding does Red Bull provide both teams and whether they see one as a bigger priority than the other?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by shefpie View Post
    Thanks for all your EBEL updates, Rex. Always interesting to read. Saw a fair bit of the play offs on Servus. Very enjoyable to watch.

I see that Red Bull Munich could complete a Red Bull double by winning the DEL play offs. My question was how much funding does Red Bull provide both teams and whether they see one as a bigger priority than the other?
    Thx, good to hear that somebody actually reads this stuff.
    As for Red Bull Munich and Salzburg, these teams are 100% in control of the Red Bull company. It's not that RB is the main (and name) sponsor of independent entities, instead these are like departments of Red Bull (not tehnically, EBEL rules require the teams to be controlled by clubs and I guess DEL teams need to be organized as plcs). So I guess one can say that the company provides all funding (of course both have sources of revenues as well like ticket sales, merchandising, TV money, advertising revenues from external partners, revenues from player transfers...)
    In the past there was talk that of a clear hierarchy with Munich as main outlet and Salzburg as development team but that has not been implemented. Evidently, both are among the top teams in their leagues, maybe for DEL this requires more financial effort than for EBEL but I can't really see that one has a clear priority over the other. Both are the end of the Red Bull player development model with its huge academy near Salzburg where all the youth and junior teams are based. Some of the players graduating from the academy are placed in Munich others in Salzburg

IHF Member
    Thanks for the information. That makes sense. I've never really seen much EBEL live before. Have been to games in Vienna and Znojmo before but nowhere else. Really enjoyed the play offs so definitely hoping to see more EBEL games in Austria at some point.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    In the past there was talk that of a clear hierarchy with Munich as main outlet and Salzburg as development team but that has not been implemented. Evidently, both are among the top teams in their leagues, maybe for DEL this requires more financial effort than for EBEL but I can't really see that one has a clear priority over the other. Both are the end of the Red Bull player development model with its huge academy near Salzburg where all the youth and junior teams are based. Some of the players graduating from the academy are placed in Munich others in Salzburg
    Would love to know more about it. For example, this guy, where will he play? http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=158857
    And who will decide?
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

http://www.hockeyweb.de/internationa...-groeden-84131

In this link croatian team is mentioned, I assume Medvescak farm team, for "new" EBEL 2.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    Would love to know more about it. For example, this guy, where will he play? http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=158857
    And who will decide?
    Never heard of the young man. But if the height and weight should only be remotely correct I guess he's not going to play anywhere but rec hockey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information