Thread: 2017 Maccabi Games

IHF Member

2017 Maccabi Games

Maccabi Canada and Maccabi USA have both announced they intend to send teams in men's AND women's hockey to the 2017 Games.

Israel had a women's team about 10 years ago, and was on the verge of applying to the IIHF for membership. Are there any talks about restarting the women's team over the next two years to make this tournament possible? (There would still need to be a 4th team). If not, could the Maccabi Games feature women's hockey without Israel participating?

IHF Member
    I can't see how Israeli women's team will be possible...

IHF Member
    I've been told that the Hockey tournament in the 2017 Maccabiah games will be held in a temporary ice rink in the Center, mainly for the purpose of getting some more people on the stands then we used to have in Metulla, even though in 2013 we had some full-house games late in the tournament.

Can't really understand the point of a temporary rink but I guess it's better then nothing...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Half a Ref View Post
    I've been told that the Hockey tournament in the 2017 Maccabiah games will be held in a temporary ice rink in the Center, mainly for the purpose of getting some more people on the stands then we used to have in Metulla, even though in 2013 we had some full-house games late in the tournament.

Can't really understand the point of a temporary rink but I guess it's better then nothing...
    I don't think it's temporary

IHF Member
    That's what I've been told by Viktor Gokhberg...

IHF Member
    Do you have any more information from Gokhberg on the temporary rink?

Borrowing this from the Icerinks in Israel thread, but what Hckeyguy is referring to - in terms of it not being temporary - is a report from last year that a new 1,200-seat regulation size rink is apparently being built in Holon. A Ynet article (link: http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4601893,00.html) stated that groundbreaking would be November 2015, so basically any day now, and open early 2017.

Have you heard anything about this new Holon rink?

The permanent rink to be built in Holon already has a site picked out, and has significant investment money backing the project. However another (U.S.) $2-4 million is needed before it can become a reality.

I have heard nothing about a temporary rink.

IHF Member
    That is terrific news Marc! Are there any new articles written about this that you've come across, or are you hearing this through your sources within the federation?

Also, I assume until the remaining $2.4 million is accounted for, the groundbreaking will be pushed back?

The information I have is straight from the top of the federation. There will not be a groundbreaking until and unless all necessary funds are secured, though.

IHF Member
    That makes sense. Always appreciate you sharing your inside information with us. Copied your update over to the Icerinks thread. Turning this thread back on topic - Marc, have you heard anything regarding the hockey tournament(s) at the 2017 Games, including a possible women's tourney?

I haven't heard anything on the 2017 games. I may try out for the USA Over-40 squad, though.

IHF Member
    A third country besides Canada and USA (although I'm sure Israel will of course take part in the men's competition) has announced its intention to participate in both men's and women's hockey at the 2017 Games, and it's a rather surprising one - Great Britain. Maccabi GB has put hockey on its tentative list of sports, and their application process is already open.

Link: https://app.pelorous.com/media_manag...h%20Sports.pdf
    (taken from this page: http://www.maccabigb.org/maccabiah-games)

Great Britain would be the lowest ranked hockey nation to take part in the hockey competition - their men's team is ranked No. 24 (Division IB) and their women's program is ranked No. 21 (Division IIA). Do they have a good chance of putting teams together? Are there a lot of talented Jewish British hockey players?

IHF Member
    Think you'll find that Israel might be lower ranked than UK !!
    Quote Originally Posted by hudes89 View Post
    A third country besides Canada and USA (although I'm sure Israel will of course take part in the men's competition) has announced its intention to participate in both men's and women's hockey at the 2017 Games, and it's a rather surprising one - Great Britain. Maccabi GB has put hockey on its tentative list of sports, and their application process is already open.

Link: https://app.pelorous.com/media_manag...h%20Sports.pdf
    (taken from this page: http://www.maccabigb.org/maccabiah-games)

Great Britain would be the lowest ranked hockey nation to take part in the hockey competition - their men's team is ranked No. 24 (Division IB) and their women's program is ranked No. 21 (Division IIA). Do they have a good chance of putting teams together? Are there a lot of talented Jewish British hockey players?

I have no idea if there are any Jewish Brits that play hockey, much less enough to fill out a 20-man roster. The IIHF rankings mean nothing for this tournament, as none of the countries outside of Israel will ice anything resembling their usual national teams.

IHF Member
    Yes, Israel is ranked lower, I meant besides them. GB will be the lowest-ranked nation to take part to date, since Israel's opponents (Canada, USA, and France - replaced by Ukraine last time out) have remain mostly unchanged in every hockey tournament thus far, be it in two Maccabi Games (1997, 2013) and two World Jewish Championships (2007, 2009). Sure, countries won't be using their national teams. But I thought I'd just point out the rankings to give an idea where GB is on the global hockey scale for those interested.

Previous rosters for Canada and USA at the Maccabi Games have featured many current or former university players (CIS and NCAA), so a good place for GB to start is the BUIHA - British University Ice Hockey Association. Here is their site: http://www.buiha.org.uk/ GB also iced teams at the 2013 Winter Universiade, curious if any of these players are Jewish.

Men's roster: http://winteruniversiade2013.sportre...33_GBR_2.0.pdf
    Women's roster: http://winteruniversiade2013.sportre...33_GBR_2.0.pdf

IHF Member
    If the Ukrainian team would come back, that would be amazing. This tournament needs more teams at a level closer to Israel's. The US and Canadian teams are too stacked, especially against a 90% all Israeli team. IMO, the tournament should be a best of 7 between USA and Canada, and a smaller tournament for all other teams, if not a seperate Best of 7 between GB and Israel.

IHF Member
    Again though, and not sure why it was in David Levin thread, the Hockey at the Maccabiah is in serious jeopardy if the Canada Center closes and no rink is built in Holon. To update, the Canada Center is looking like it will close mid 2016, and the new rink in Holon has not started construction. These are serious problems that the proper people involved should know, so that there can be a solution because it will be very damaging to Israel hockey if no hockey in the Maccabiah, as well as all interested in this "tournament."

IHF Member
    GB would be a great fit for a team at the level of Israel. Perhaps France could return again as well.

Assuming the Canada Centre does in fact close, if the new rink in Holon is not ready, would it possible to play the tournament at the current Holon rink? I know it's smaller and wouldn't provide the same experience but wouldn't this be better than nothing?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hudes89 View Post
    GB would be a great fit for a team at the level of Israel. Perhaps France could return again as well.

Assuming the Canada Centre does in fact close, if the new rink in Holon is not ready, would it possible to play the tournament at the current Holon rink? I know it's smaller and wouldn't provide the same experience but wouldn't this be better than nothing?
    As I said in another thread, I highly recommend not having 4 on 4 for maccabiah, if no other rinks are opened or saved. 3 on 3 would be interesting though

4-on-4 is at least real hockey. 3-on-3 isn't.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    4-on-4 is at least real hockey. 3-on-3 isn't.
    4 on 4 is not real hockey at ice peaks. The Israel league makes it work because we have no choice ( ) and the skill level and speed of the game can handle the small rink. Again, imagine the American and Canadian teams on that ice, on 4 on 4. Won't be good hockey, could possibly be dangerous
    Last edited by Hckeyguy25; 24-12-2015 at 17:51.

Can anyone on this thread advise me who I can contact about expressing interest to officiate at the 2017 Maccabi Games? As I am Jewish, and have always wanted to visit Israel, I see this as a unique opportunity. Thanks!

Not sure if this only relates to the 2013 event, but I did pull this off of the official Maccabiah Games website:

http://www.maccabiah.com/staff-directors

There's a gentleman with the title of 'Director of Sports'.

There's also an executive committee: http://www.maccabiah.com/maccabiah-executive-committee

Thanks Marc!

IHF Member
    Further to Marc's post, I also found this on the official Games site:

http://www.maccabiah.com/international-sports-committee

THE INTERNATIONAL SPORTS COMMITTEE

The International Sports Committee (ISC) is appointed by the President of MWU. The ISC works closely with the Sports Department of MWU and the Chairman of the Maccabiah Organizing Committee. In essence, the ISC consists of representatives of the International Maccabiah Committee (IMC) and it organizes all aspects of the sports competitions at the Maccabiah including, but not limited to, the menu of sports, divisions of sports, sports regulations, Maccabiah basic regulations, disciplinary regulations, liaising with Israel Sports federations to run each sport during the Games, the selection of sports venues, referees, training facilities, elite athletes, and sports schedules during the Games.

The Director of Sports, Roy Hessing, is listed as a contact on that page as well as on the Maccabi World Union site:

http://www.maccabi.org/our-staff

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Can anyone on this thread advise me who I can contact about expressing interest to officiate at the 2017 Maccabi Games? As I am Jewish, and have always wanted to visit Israel, I see this as a unique opportunity. Thanks!
    If you also want to come during the Israel hockey season, we could really use your help!

IHF Prospect

Try "half-court" hockey in holon

One suggestion that I would like to make for hockey training in Israel in a smaller rink like Holon:
    [Note: this is not a substitute for the Maccabbi tournament games; only for practice.]

Try "half-court" hockey, which we do in the US during the Summer months when we have hockey practice time with only one goalie and not enough forwards to play "5 on 5". All action is played in one end of the ice. Teams change from offense to defense after turn-overs, goals or saves...
    This is great training action for us goaltenders and provides plenty of skating room for the forwards.

IHF Member
    Been told that the Israeli league playoffs might be played in the Jerusalem rink, not sure the timing yet. Related to earlier reports that the games will be played in Jerusalem for Maccabiah.

EDIT: Never Happened
    Last edited by Hckeyguy25; 08-07-2017 at 17:24.

IHF Prospect
    Hey guys, any idea where to find game sheets (live or static) for this tournament? Team twitter accounts haven't been useful

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenEllisNHL View Post
    Hey guys, any idea where to find game sheets (live or static) for this tournament? Team twitter accounts haven't been useful
    Masters Division:

http://www.mystatsonline.com/hockey/...IDLeague=26288

IHF Member
    Juniors Division:

IHF Member
    Open Division:

IHF Member
    Article On Israel vs Germany Open Game:

https://www.israel-hockey.website/is...any-in-game-1/

IHF Member

I've been covering the men's (open division) tournament on the IHF Facebook page. Feel free to check out the coverage.

IHF Member
    Results (as of 7/15):

Juniors:
    Third Place - Israel

Open -
    5th Place - Germany
    4th Place - Israel
    3rd Place - Russia

Masters
    4th Place - Israel
    3rd Place - USA
    2nd Place - Canada