Thread: ACHA goalie get game misconduct for drinking a beer on the ice during the game

ACHA goalie get game misconduct for drinking a beer on the ice during the game

The headline is not a joke. Here's the article:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...ory&soc_trk=tw

Yeah.... the comments on the radio here are along the lines of "it's just club hockey, no big deal".
    Crushing a beer during a timeout actually IS kind of a big deal. As of the last report I heard the guy was still on the club's roster, but you have to think the university will look into this. It just looks bad.

Future FHL or LNAH star in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    but you have to think the university will look into this. It just looks bad.
    While it reflects poorly on the school, they would be glad it's merely a lower visibility connection. The school might be able to influence the club but unless the club has a bylaw about this very conduct, I don't see what they could do to remove a player that paid to play on a non-varsity club team.

I know guys that played ACHA and they would arrive to games drunk off their asses. Doing it with the coach in view, that's a bit brazen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcal226
    Future FHL or LNAH star in the making.
    Not FHL. They banned two guys for stopping the game with by dropping the gloves only to hug and share a beer instead. That's the FHL though, so they probably were banned for not actually fighting.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that it's a UVA team doing this, as the stereotype for their students are that they're partiers. Interestingly enough, I do know a guy on the team, so I'll ask him about this.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that it's a UVA team doing this, as the stereotype for their students are that they're partiers. Interestingly enough, I do know a guy on the team, so I'll ask him about this.
    First of all it was a Keystone LITE, which, in Canada, we would call tap water.
    You'd probably get more of a buzz drinking a can of O'Doul's.
    Secondly, a lot of people seem to have their knickers in a knot over this.
    Especially that 'beat writer' guy Doug Eisman (they actually have beat writers for CLUB hockey?....really?)
    Jeez....such righteous indignation from Douglas.
    Yeah it might have been a bit selfish but...they were up 7-0 for Pete's sake.
    Coach should have had his back up starting the 3rd...but the 2nd stringer got to play.

I hope the university gives the guy a stern warning and allows him to stay on the team.
    Those who say he should be suspended for the season or banned forever should really get a grip.
    After all, we're not talking about a scholarship athlete here....the guy pays to play.
    And, when you think about it, when does club level university hockey in Virginia gets any kind of pub anyway?

Considering that it's coming across as a bit of a sideshow, and while it may be pay-to-play, the club DOES represent the school.
    So, I can see how some people would see it as putting the school as a whole in a bad light. And people in charge won't appreciate that coming from such a minor sports team. Football team, they could forgive and sweep it under. But ACHA hockey? Their place is to be neither seen nor heard.
    It may be pay to play, but it's not rec league. It's rep hockey.

IHF Prospect
    Why don't they just suspend him for a few games and call it fair? No need to be severe. Like HeatleySucks said, it's pay to play university club hockey in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by IronHealey View Post
    Why don't they just suspend him for a few games and call it fair? No need to be severe. Like HeatleySucks said, it's pay to play university club hockey in Virginia.
    Ya, I think he should be suspended, but a lifetime ban would be a little extreme. I played a club sport in college. Club athletes do represent the university, so they have to be smart about how they behave, and this guy doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe a little reality check is what he needs. That said, if every club athlete received a lifetime ban for drinking in public (yes, including during competitions), there wouldn't be many club athletes left...

Thread Information