Thread: Echl 2015-2016

Echl 2015-2016

Use this thread for the 2015-2016 ECHL season. Discussion, news, scores, stats, video, pictures, etc. should all be posted here.

Updated league standings can be found here: http://echl.com/stats/statdisplay.ph...id=-1&confId=0

Clicking on a team name will bring you its roster, and the stats of each player.

Top point scorers can be found here: http://echl.com/stats/statdisplay.ph...division_id=-1

Top goaltenders can be found here: http://echl.com/stats/statdisplay.ph...division_id=-1

Here is a welcome letter / state of the league address given to the fans by the ECHL commissioner at the start of this season (from ECHL.com):
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ECHL Fans,

I am pleased to officially welcome you to the 28th season of ECHL hockey. We are fortunate to be in many great cities with modern arenas with teams prepared to deliver an outstanding hockey product.

The 2014-15 season was transformational for the ECHL. The addition of seven new teams from the former Central Hockey League, along with the Indy Fuel, brought us to 28 teams on a strong national platform. This season we welcome new markets in Glens Falls, N.Y. and Manchester, N.H., and welcome back Norfolk, Va., which returns to the ECHL for the first time since the 1999-2000 season.

During the 2014-15 season, the ECHL welcomed over 4.6 million fans, and surpassed the 4,000 mark in average attendance for the 11th consecutive season and the 23rd time in the last 25 years.

In addition to providing affordable family entertainment to more than 92 million fans since it began, ECHL teams have become an important part of their communities by donating more than $37 million and countless hours to charity over the past decade.

The ECHL has become an integral part of the professional hockey player development process as 573 players have gone on to play in the NHL after the ECHL including 28 in 2014-15. In addition to these players, countless officials, coaches and front office staff have moved on to the AHL and NHL. For the 2015-16 season, 13 of the 30 AHL head coaches and over 25 coaches on NHL staffs have ECHL ties. Approximately one-third of the current on-ice officials in the NHL spent time developing their skills in the ECHL.

We congratulate the Allen Americans, who captured the Kelly Cup title in their first season in the ECHL with a hard-fought seven-game victory over the South Carolina Stingrays in the Kelly Cup Finals. The 2015 Kelly Cup Playoffs were the most competitive in ECHL history with eight of the 15 series being decided in the full seven games.

The ECHL has been represented on the last 15 Stanley Cup champions including in 2015 with Chicago Blackhawks Vice President of Hockey Operations Al MacIsaac, General Manager of Minor League Affiliations Mark Bernard, Director of Pro Scouting Ryan Stewart, players Scott Darling and Andrew Desjardins and pro scout Derek Booth. The ECHL has affiliations with 25 of the 30 teams in the NHL in 2015-16, marking the 19th consecutive year for affiliations with at least 20 teams in the NHL. For the 26th season in a row, the ECHL was represented on the AHL Calder Cup champion Manchester Monarchs.

Thank you on behalf of the ECHL and its teams for your continued support and we hope that you and your family enjoy following your favorite team through what promises to be a fantastic 28th season of ECHL hockey.

Sincerely,

Brian McKenna
    ECHL Commissioner

ECHL team directory can be found here: http://echl.com/directory-s12360

To try and give you a feel for the pace and skill level of the ECHL, I will post a random highlight video each week.

Here is a video from the Allen Americans vs. Utah Grizzlies game, October 24, 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEq0SS1S_Kc

Allen, the defending Kelly Cup champions, won 6-5.

I read somewhere that Manchester Monarchs fans, who were generally pissed about losing the AHL Monarchs, have been pretty impressed thus far with the level of play in the ECHL.

Speaking of Manchester, here are video highlights of their season opener as an ECHL team at home, which was a 2-1 win over the Brampton Beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptRB3ttUEM

Manchester is a mid-level ECHL team so far, whereas Brampton is a bottom dweller.

Despite that, check out the video to see just how good the level of play really is in the ECHL these days. It is terrific pro hockey.

Thanks Marc!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

The Evansville IceMen have announced that they will be relocating to Owensboro, KY for next season. This is a shame for the fans in Evansville, and is a pretty significant step down for the ECHL in terms of size of the market and size/quality of the arena. Apparently this was all due to the arena in Evansville and the team not being able to come to a new agreement on rent by the ECHL deadline. Apparently Evansville was paying close to 4x the league average in rent. As a result, a lot of fans are, understandably, pretty pissed. That said, things could be worse. The Owensboro Sportscenter is just under 45 minutes away from the Ford Center in Evansville. For diehard fans that shouldn't be too bad, especially for those that live in the eastern suburbs.

The Mayor of Evansville has said that he plans on having hockey in the Ford Center next year with or without the IceMen. Obviously he doesn't necessarily have a say in that, but the city is actively looking for replacements. The ECHL isn't an option because its too close to Owensboro, but I've heard rumors suggesting that the AHL, SPHL, USHL and, god help us, the FHL could all be looking to move in. If it were the USHL (which seems unlikely) it might be in the form of the dormant Indiana Ice franchise.

Apparently the IceMen ownership plan to buy, rather than rent the Owensboro Sportcenter, and expand the arena from a capacity of 5,000 to 7,200. I suppose that resolves the arena issue. Its amazing to me that it was actually cheaper for them to move, buy an arena, and then modernize that arena, than it was for them to continue paying rent on their old place. That seems to be the case though. I can also confirm that the SPHL is looking at Evansville as a potential market. just because the arena has opened up it might still be tough. Owensboro and Evansville might even be too close to have two successful minor league hockey franchises. Here's the press conference announcing the move from the city of Owensboro:

[ Press Conference ]

A couple of league updates:

• Worcester, MA, former home of the AHL's Worcester IceCats and most recently the Worcester Sharks, has been approved for an expansion ECHL franchise to begin play in the 2017-18 season. The new Worcester team, which has apparently already begun hiring staff, will likely try to score and affiliation with the Boston Bruins of the NHL and the Providence Bruins of the AHL. If they can get it, it will be good news for the future of hockey in Worcester. As it is, this is already good news for Manchester Monarchs fans, who will be able to resurrect at least one of the regional rivalries from their AHL days.

[ Story ]

• The question of who will replace the IceMen at the Ford Center in Evansville has been answered. The SPHL has approved Evansville for an expansion franchise for the 2016-17 season. This is going to be interesting now, with an SPHL franchise and an ECHL franchise within 45 minutes of each other in Evansville, IN and Owensboro, KY respectively. I'll be interested to see what the attendance figures are like for both teams. I have to imagine that when the IceMen ownership decided to move down the road to Owensboro that on some level they had to be keeping their fingers crossed that Evansville wouldn't be able to get a replacement team this quickly.

[ Story ]

Here we are in the finals, with the Allen Americans taking on the Wheeling Nailers.

Allen won the ECHL championship last season in their very first season in the league. Prior to that, they won the final two championships of the Central League before it folded and the ECHL absorbed its remaining seven teams.

So Allen is going for its fourth straight championship overall and second straight ECHL championship.

Allen took game 1 by a 5-3 score. They led 4-1 before Wheeling rallied to within 4-3. Allen scored a late goal to seal the win.

Here's a nice 12 minute video looking the the playoff quarterfinals with highlights, interviews and statistics.

It also gives the welcome news that there will be dozens of interconference games between Eastern and Western Conference teams next season!

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/9_i1MxBqoBM

Here's a nice 12 minute video recapping the semi-finals, previewing the finals, giving league news, and showing a little bit about hockey wives. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qzJntLcohbk

Wheeling evened the series 1-1 by defeating Allen 7-6 in Game 2. Wheeling led 3-0 after the first period and then exploded, opening up a 7-1 lead after two periods. Game over, right? Wrong! Allen nearly pulled off an epic comeback, scoring 5 times in the third period but just falling short.

Time to finish up this thread. Here were the other scores from the finals:

June 01, 2016 - WHEELING 3, ALLEN 2
    June 03, 2016 - ALLEN 4, WHEELING 2
    June 04, 2016 - ALLEN 3, WHEELING 2
    June 09, 2016 - ALLEN 4, WHEELING 2

So in the end the Allen Americans have become a minor league dynasty. They have now won the ECHL championship in both of their first two seasons in the league after winning the final two Central Hockey League titles.

From Patrick Hayslip of DentonRC.com:

ALLEN – Boasting the top power play the East Coast Hockey League in both the regular season and playoffs, the Allen Americans went to their bread and butter in the first period of Game 6 of the Kelly Cup Finals.

Allen scored two quick power play goals to claim a two-goal lead and after a furious second period drew the Nailers to within a goal, the Americans had just one more period to lock down before they could make history.

After a third power play restored their two-goal advantage, the Americans withstood an all-out attack from Wheeling as it cut the lead down to just a goal with seven minutes to play, but the Nailers couldn’t break through.

Backstopped by 42 saves from their goalie Riley Gill, the Americans held on for a 4-2 victory to claim their second consecutive Kelly Cup championship, winning the best-of-seven series 4-2.

In front of a packed Allen Event Center clad in red, the Americans were presented with the Kelly Cup trophy and players and coaches took turns parading it around above their heads as fans spilled out onto the ice in celebration.

The Americans (16-8 in the playoffs) became just the first team to win back-to-back ECHL championships since the Toledo Storm in 1993 and 1994 and the third team in league history to win consecutive titles, joining Toledo and the 1991 and 1992 Hampton Roads Admirals.
    Allen winger Chad Costello was named the MVP of the Kelly Cup playoffs after leading the ECHL in scoring in a regular-season MVP campaign.

Costello finished with 7 goals and 29 assists for a total of 36 points in the playoffs – nine more than the next player – and becomes the first player in the ECHL’s 28-year history to win both the regular season MVP and playoff MVP awards.

Surrounded by fans after the game, Costello took time to reflect on his accomplishments.
    “Those are team awards,” Costello said. “I know they show up as personal awards, but they’re not. We had an amazing power play which helps a lot and great coaching. [Coach Steve Martinson] puts me in the best position in the league and I was happy with all 20 guys. It was an amazing team effort from Day 1 all the way through and no surprise we came out on top.”
    As soon as the celebration wound down, Costello was ready to party with his teammates in the plastic-wrapped locker room that they celebrated in last season after a Game 7 Kelly Cup victory.
    Costello said he hoped he learned from last year’s festivities so that he can crank up his jubilation correctly.

“I’m going to try to do a little better this year,” Costello said. “I don’t think I did that well, but I have some practice now, so I’ll do a little better. I shook [the champagne bottle] up and the cap didn’t come off that good, but I’ll do better. I’m going to start with an adult beverage and go from there, but then celebrate with my family and these 20 guys that people wrote off.
    “I’m proud of the locker room. We’ve got 20 true friends. It’s just amazing.”
    Coach Martinson knows better than to get in the middle of his team celebrating and has found himself a special spot to watch all the fun unfold.
    “What I do is I just sit in the back,” Martinson said. “I don’t really hang out in there. I go sit in the back. The players are in there. They get too crazy.”

Ramping Up the Power Play

The Americans got rolling early in the game on the man advantage with Tristan King punching in his seventh goal of the playoffs on a one-timer from the left point with 15:16 left in the first period.
    Allen held a 9-1 shots advantage early in the period and after the Nailers were tagged with a too many men penalty, the Americans capitalized on the power play in its final seconds as a rebound found its way out onto winger Greger Hanson’s stick in the slot and he beat Wheeling goalie Brian Foster glove side to put Allen up 2-0 with 10:37 to go in the first frame.
    Wheeling (14-11 in the playoffs) eventually woke up in the first period and tested Gill, who held strong to keep the score 2-0 headed to the second period.

Missing the first two games of the Kelly Cup Finals due to injury, Gill, who also has a playoff MVP on his resume along with Hanson and Costello, became just the fifth player in ECHL history to win three Kelly Cup titles after championships with Reading in 2013 and Allen in 2015.
    Costello’s confidence in Gill never wavered.

“We’re a pretty confident group,” Costello said. “We’re very similar teams to be honest. They like to jump up in the play with their defense and ours likes to jump up in the play, so we felt like it was going to be a goaltending battle and we’ll take [Gillsy] all day long.”
    Entering the second period the momentum they built late in the first, the Nailers finally got on the scoreboard with 10:28 remaining in the period as Brett Stern’s shot from left point found its way through traffic, off of John McCarron and past Gill’s glove side to slice in half at 2-1.
    The Nailers kept knocking on the door, but couldn’t tie the game up and were forced to head to the final period down 2-1.

Wheeling leaned on the Americans in the first half of the period, but Gill had all the answers and midway through the period, Allen had its chance to get the all-important insurance goal.
    After center Spencer Asuchak’s breakaway chance was negated when his stick was slashed out of his hands, the Americans went on their fourth power play of the game.
    It took the Americans just over 30 seconds to make the Nailers pay as center Casey Pierro-Zabotel sent a cross-crease pass to defenseman Eric Roy, who ripped it past Foster for the goal with just under 10 minutes to go in the game.

Down 3-1, the Nailers pulled out all the stops and just under three minutes later, Wheeling capitalized when Gill’s poke check drew him out of the net enough for Cody Wydo to bank it off his left pad and in to inch the Nailers to within 3-2 with just over seven minutes to play.
    Clinging to the lead, the Americans had odd-man rushes that they couldn’t finish off, which kept the Nailers alive.

Wheeling kept peppering Gill with high-grade chances and with 3:35 to play, the puck was eventually worked free to Ty Loney, who was all alone to the left of Gill.
    Falling to his stomach, Gill absolutely stoned Loney with his right pad, lifting it in the air to keep the lead intact.

From the bench, Martinson said he thought the Nailers had tied it.
    “I don’t want to take anything away from the other goalies, but Riley is the guy,” Martinson said. “He’s just got that calm in the big games and we feel like he’s got this. He made an unbelievable save with three minutes to go. I thought that was in.”
    Wheeling eventually pulled Foster in favor of an extra man, but winger Gary Steffes pounced on a loose puck and sent it the length of the ice for the empty net tally with just 32 seconds remaining. Steffes’ 13 goals were second in the playoffs.

Despite the Nailers’ dogged attack in the final half of the game, Martinson said his team’s defense was critical to their victory.

“One of my clichés is the team that scores the most goals wins, but it’s always defense in the playoffs,” Martinson said. “I thought we really took it to them in the first period and we got the lead, but we sat back too much. I didn’t think we forechecked as well as we could have, but then we got that power play in the third and we’ve been looking for that play. We felt that play was open, but we were missing on it.”
    Along with Costello, Hanson was third in playoff scoring with a league-high 15 goals and 23 points and Martinson said it was the play of his special teams and his veterans that helped lift his team to their deep playoff run.

“I think our guys that were our top guys during this season, they stepped up in the finals,” Martinson said. “You look at our plus-minus and the points for our tops guys, they got it done… The good thing about the power play was Costello got on his forehand side and we feel like we generate more plays when he’s on his forehand. He made a couple of good plays and couple of good passes. Roy made a great pass. We’ve got a lot of skill on that power play.”

The Importance of Game 6

The Nailers trailed 3-2 in their previous two series before entering Thursday down 3-2, but against Reading in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, the Nailers took down the Royals 8-3 in Game 6 before finishing off Game 7 4-3 in overtime.

In the Eastern Conference Finals, the Nailers rebounded against South Carolina with a 4-3 overtime win in Game 6 and a 5-2 in in Game 7.

Martinson knew how important taking care of business in Game 6 was.
    “You don’t ever want to lose at home and give the other team life,” Martinson said. “They were banking on the fact that they came back against a couple other teams.”
    Costello also knew the importance of winning Game 6 and said the relief of avoiding a Game 7 like the Americans had to fight through last season was huge.
    “It might have saved a couple years on my life there and the fans too,” Costello said. “It was a coin flip there. It was tough, so we really wanted to get it done in six, so we were blessed to be able to do that.”
    The Americans opened the series with a 5-3 victory in Game 1 before digging a deep hole and almost delivering a miraculous comeback in a 7-6 Game 2 loss at home.
    With the series tied at 1-1 headed to West Virginia, the Nailers took a 2-1 series lead with a 3-2 win in Game 3, but the Americans answered with a 4-2 win in Game 4 to tie the series and a 3-2 overtime win in Game 5 sent the series back to Allen with the Americans up 3-2 with two chances to close out the series.

“They should be proud,” Costello said of the Nailers. “They have a good team and I think the last two series they came back from 3-2 on the road and we didn’t want to give them that chance. When [Gillsy] is in that kind of mode, he’s tough to beat. We got a good lead, played some good defense and Gillsy hung in there for us. It feels great to get the win.”
    Winning the Ray Miron President’s Cup for back-to-back championships in 2013 and 2014 in the Central Hockey League, Thursday’s Kelly Cup title makes it four consecutive titles for Martinson and the Americans and following the game, he had a hard time reflecting on the success over the years.
    “The fans were going nuts,” Martinson said while leaning back in his office chair as he sipped his victory Shiner Bock beer. “It was loud, so it was a pretty good feeling looking around and seeing that crowd. This will all kick in later. We live on a river up north, so it will sink in when we go up there.”

Thread Information