Thread: New University of North Dakota name announced

New University of North Dakota name announced

The University of North Dakota has announced the new nickname of their athletic teams. The school has been without an official mascot since dropping the Fighting Sioux moniker back in 2012. The new name is the "Fighting Hawks". Personally I don't have a problem with the name, but it does have me wondering who decided that all Native American mascots have to be changed to something-hawks. Why hawks? Just off the top of my head you have the Miami RedHawks (Redskins), UMass-Lowell River Hawks (University of Lowell Chiefs) and the Stonehill Skyhawks (Chieftains). Anyway, I'm glad they finally have a new name. I know a lot of people were upset with the change, but it was time to move on. A team of UND's calibre going on without a name was silly.

[ Article ]

I respectfully disagree. I loved the fact that UND gave the NCAA a big "F you" by refusing to have a nickname for the past several years rather than bowing to the "politically correct" crowd. I would have preferred to see them continue on without a nickname.

To me, they will always be the "Fighting Sioux". I hope the home crowds continue to wear the Sioux jerseys, and, better yet, chant the Sioux name.

If I were in charge, and with good reason I'm not, I would have just renamed them the Fighting Sue.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

LOL - that would have been perfect.

They should have gone back to their original name: UND Flickertails.

Haha I don't think many people would have gone for that. Its unfortunate though. It has a connection to the State and it definitely would've been unique!

Thread Information