Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Junior Championships - Helsinki, Finland; 26 Dec 2015 -- 5 Jan, 2016

I'd read it Bennison, but my Swedish is non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I don't think the USA is a favorite to beat Russia. Russia has knocked the Americans out of the past two World Juniors.
    Marc, I think what is more important is how both teams are playing now. Russia barely defeated Denmark while the US crushed a Czech team that has played well. Even against undefeated Sweden, the US was clearly the better team big was beaten by a hot goalie. Previous tourneys mean little, especially in this tournament where the rosters have significant turnover. USA by 3 goals, you can take that to the bank

I'd read it Bennison, but my Swedish is non-existent.
    Basically it is an account of his life and career so far. He was born in Älvkarleby in Sweden and moved with his parents to Tornio Finland when he was four.

He wad identified as an exceptional talent early and moved alone to Oulu (the article says Uleåborg, the Swedish name) when he was just 13 to further his hockey training.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

I would say that on paper Sweden and USA are the slight favourites for today's semifinals. But luckily hockey games are played on the ice ;)

IHF Member
    I don't think the USA is a favorite to beat Russia. Russia has knocked the Americans out of the past two World Juniors.
    I don't think last year holds any relevance to what will happen this year...just ask the Canadians and the Slovaks.
    Russia won its group but the QFs and relegation games showed Group A is a lot stronger overall than Group B.
    The Americans just crushed the Czechs while Russia was 46 seconds away from getting bounced.
    This Russian team is nowhere near as strong as last year and are indeed fortunate to be even playing a semi.

Anybody has a good livestream of the Swe - Fin game? I can't really see the puck

Finland scores 2-1 after being given the pp by the refs... not happy with the refereeing at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Finland scores 2-1 after being given the pp by the refs... not happy with the refereeing at the moment...
    In watching hockey for 47 years, I have yet to see 1 example of a team that is losing that is happy with the officiating. It comes with the territory.

True... Finland has definitely been better from the second half of the second period. Helped by three straight Swedish penalties, where the third was absolutely horrendous.

But in all a deserved lead for Finland so far

Sweden stopped Puljujärvi, but Finland stressed the Swedish passing game.

I still feel that the Swedish fourth penalty that lead to the second Finnish goal was a gift from the refs.

Good luck Finland tomorrow, I'll be rooting for you.

Sweden stopped Puljujärvi, but Finland stressed the Swedish passing game.

I still feel that the Swedish fourth penalty that lead to the second Finnish goal was a gift from the refs.

Good luck Finland tomorrow, I'll be rooting for you.
    I did not get a chance to watch the game, but have to admit I am surprised by the result. One could clearly argue Sweden had been the best team in the tournament up to this stage. And Finland had not exactly been lighting things on fire with their defensive play, so I expected Sweden to score more then 1 goal.

Should not have been a penalty which led to the 2nd goal. Nevertheless, Finland overall was the better team today and deserved the victory.

Not like there were no other amazing players on the ice today, but Rantanen especially impressed me. Seems to find an open man to pass all the time.

Finland played tonight its best game defensively, and that ended up being the difference maker. Goes to show how much having a competent goalie between the pipes helps calm down the skaters. Our management almost blew the entire tournament by betting on the wrong horse - even after everybody else was suspecting Vehviläinen might not be up for it. I'm happy they came to their senses at practically the 11th hour. Before, Finnish defense was running all around the ice, most likely because they wanted to take away every possible shot that could reach the goalie. Now, they were like men reborn, as they could just concentrate on taking away those prime scoring chances and trust Kähkönen to catch everything else. After gaining the lead, they were able to execute that plan perfectly, as Sweden had only three shots on goal in the entire third period despite having the possession.

That being said, I too had to wince at the way Finland gained the lead. That was just some brutal treatment by the refs on Sweden midway through the 2nd. On the other hand, after that the zebras did let both sides just play, and Sweden still had about half the game to come back. That just was not to be this time 'round.

I also have to tip my hat for the Swedes for completely shutting down Laine-Aho-Puljujärvi -line. Too bad for them, it was the time when Mikko Rantanen decided he's had enough standing on the sidelines and figured it's time to start playing. But that's what so-called "designated stars" do sometimes. Just when you think it's just not their event, they step up and end up being the difference. Rasmus Ristolainen did something similar in 2014. Very underwhelming during the group stage, but when came the time to play for big things, he started playing like the big man he was and was all over the ice.
    Last edited by Laho; 04-01-2016 at 19:58.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post
    Finland played tonight its best game defensively, and that ended up being the difference maker.
    Excellent summary Laho, I agree with all you wrote. Finland looked like a new team defensively and Sweden did not manage to defeat that more than once. It is difficult to win a game with only one goal scored. We always knew we couldn't repeat the US game...

As Mats Wennerholm at Aftonbladet jokingly concluded: it's Joe Sakic's fault for releasing Rantanen to the tournament... :-)

IHF Member
    Excellent summary Laho, I agree with all you wrote. Finland looked like a new team defensively and Sweden did not manage to defeat that more than once. It is difficult to win a game with only one goal scored. We always knew we couldn't repeat the US game...

As Mats Wennerholm at Aftonbladet jokingly concluded: it's Joe Sakic's fault for releasing Rantanen to the tournament... :-)
    History repeats itself yet again for Sweden.
    Another unblemished group play record and, sadly, more disappointment in a medal round game.
    It is much like the early 90's when Sweden iced some great junior squads yet could not bring home gold.

IHF Member
    Russia 2 USA 1 after two periods...
    Wasn't it Punch Imlach who once said predictions are for gypsies?
    If I was to wager I would have bet the Americans would handle Russia, especially after the QFs results.
    Instead the Russians are leading and significantly outshooting Team USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Marc, I think what is more important is how both teams are playing now. Russia barely defeated Denmark while the US crushed a Czech team that has played well. Even against undefeated Sweden, the US was clearly the better team big was beaten by a hot goalie. Previous tourneys mean little, especially in this tournament where the rosters have significant turnover. USA by 3 goals, you can take that to the bank
    Russia 2 USA 1, shows you what I know :)

IHF Member
    The Russians are always unpredictable. You never know if they'll show up. Finland is on a roll. Always good to see the home fans go home happy.

IHF Member
    To see Finland and Russia beat both Sweden and USA 2-1 was pretty unexpected to me; especially they way it happened since it was excellent defensive play from the two winners and that wasn't really in the cards after their two quarterfinals!

IHF Member
    GO Finland -- now that these guys can also play defense lets take care of the bear !

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    GO Finland -- now that these guys can also play defense lets take care of the bear !
    Interesting rematch.
    The prelim game saw the Finns take the early lead and they looked good...for awhile.
    Then the Russians took over in the second period and Finland never recovered.
    Maybe the Finns will have learned a lesson from that game.

In the 1st period of the bronze game, USA 2, Sweden 0. Whichever team loses this game will be hugely disappointed considering their play and standing through the preliminary round. That's the price you pay for a single elimination game format.

Two great semifinal games between four great teams. There had to be winners and losers. Unfortunately for the USA and Sweden, they ended up on the wrong side of their games. But two great teams in Finland and Russia advanced to the gold medal game, and they both deserve to be there. Full credit to them both. This has been entertaining, high-level, professional quality hockey and has been a pleasure to watch.

Insofar as the bronze medal game, the USA blew a 2-0 lead in the final 2+ minutes of the first period, but has rebounded nicely to lead 5-2 over Sweden in the second period. As Ref72 mentioned, it's hard to believe that one of these teams will be going home without a medal.

In the past two or three years, it seems that the American mens', U20 and U18 teams are starting to play better in bronze medal games, which they traditionally played very poorly in. That's nice to see. A bronze obviously doesn't mean what a gold does, but it's still a worthy achievement worth fighting for.

USA pouring it on now......6-2 over Sweden after forty minutes. Too bad they couldn't generate like this against Russia yesterday.

In the past two or three years, it seems that the American mens', U20 and U18 teams are starting to play better in bronze medal games, which they traditionally played very poorly in. That's nice to see. A bronze obviously doesn't mean what a gold does, but it's still a worthy achievement worth fighting for.
    Teemu Selanne said two years ago that it's better to win bronze than lose silver.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

USA pouring it on now......6-2 over Sweden after forty minutes. Too bad they couldn't generate like this against Russia yesterday.
    USA convincing 8-3 win. Nice tourney by Auston Matthews, with 7 goals, just 1 shy of the American record of 8 held by Jeremy Roenick (way back in the 1989 tourney in Alaska). This can't hurt his projected 1st overall NHL draft status with scouts.

IHF Member
    USA convincing 8-3 win. Nice tourney by Auston Matthews, with 7 goals, just 1 shy of the American record of 8 held by Jeremy Roenick (way back in the 1989 tourney in Alaska). This can't hurt his projected 1st overall NHL draft status with scouts.
    Gord Miller, the excellent play by play man for TSN, mentioned a telling stat about Sweden.
    Since 2008, Sweden has gone 36-0 in preliminary round play BUT are just 10-11 in the playoff round.

3-8... phew, glad I didn't watch.

Groups for 2017 tournament in Canada almost set:

Group playing in Toronto:
    Finland / Russia loser
    USA
    Canada
    Slovakia
    Latvia

Group playing in Montreal:
    Finland / Russia winner
    Sweden
    Czech Rep
    Switzerland
    Denmark

IHF Member
    Weird to see the Swedes falter like this.
    Look so great in the group stages and then having no offensive teeth against Finland, which didn't impress defensively at all before that game, and collapses defensively totally against USA.

7 minutes left in the 3rd period of the final, 2-2. Pp for Fin.

Very impressive and solid defense by the Team Russia throughout the game.

Pp for Fins, 3-2 now. Kamenev, C of Russians, totally lost it. Hit the official and got 10+20. What a shame, such a great team otherwise.

3-3, so OT.

And victory for Suomi great team

Congratulations to Finland!

IHF Member
    Congratulation to Finland. Great win and great tournament.

IHF Member
    Congratulations for Suomi!

So I am reading a lot of russian commenters complaining about the refs in the game and one sided officiating. I didn't catch the game as it was too early in the morning but was this the case or is it just them complaining because they lost (as a lot of countries tend to do in these kind of situations)?
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    So I am reading a lot of russian commenters complaining about the refs in the game and one sided officiating. I didn't catch the game as it was too early in the morning but was this the case or is it just them complaining because they lost (as a lot of countries tend to do in these kind of situations)?
    Well at least the players didn't skulk off the ice like they did after the GMG at last year's worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    I'll just repeat what I said in a previous post. I have never seen 1 example of a losing team saying they liked the officiating. Its either a neutral response, or much more common, a negative one. Russians played well and showed a lot of resilience to get a tie game with just a few seconds left. Officiating isn't the reason the Finland won. It was earned, not given to them by the referees

I'll just repeat what I said in a previous post. I have never seen 1 example of a losing team saying they liked the officiating. Its either a neutral response, or much more common, a negative one. Russians played well and showed a lot of resilience to get a tie game with just a few seconds left. Officiating isn't the reason the Finland won. It was earned, not given to them by the referees
    I totally agree with your comments. Finland deserved the victory and was not given it by the refs.

Impressive win for the USA in the bronze medal game over Sweden. However, it must be pointed out that Sweden used their backup goaltender for the entire game. Would things have changed had they used their starter? Maybe. Maybe not. But it should at least be noted.

Finland-Russia was a classic. Congrats to Suomi on an extremely impressive overall tournament and win in the championship game under a ton of pressure. I think this gold medal game was one of the most exciting hockey games, at any level, that I have ever watched. It was played at a very, very high level and it's just a shame that one of the teams had to lose. For what it's worth, I thought the refereeing was fine in both semifinals and the final.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information