Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Cup 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    But aside from that anomaly I guess it's bad news for the organizers that the US is done. I feel for them though, they played the 1 bad game to start and then lost to Canada and were done.
    Felt for the US as well. They are getting roasted by retired alumni, present players, the US hockey fan contingent, etc... I think its unfair and short sighted. This tourney had a very small window for error. Doesn't mean that US hockey is down the tubes as many are suggesting. People who really understand the game know that at the grass roots level, USA hockey is thriving and growing...especially in non-traditional hockey markets (see Austin Matthews - Arizona). Its ridiculous the abuse the players and staff have had to put up with. If Russia beats Canada in the SF tomorrow, will I be disappointed? Yes. Will I think there should be that standard "Royal Enquiry to determine whats wrong with Canadian Hockey"? Give me a break. USA should have the same attitude. Your hockey is fine, you just lost this time.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    The NA team is still the talk of the tournament, even though they're officially eliminated.
    Every game they've played, win or lose, has been electric.
    It's a pity 6 minutes of bad luck, bad shifts and bad goaltending against Russia has put them out of the semis.
    Otherwise, they dominated that game.
    I think Canada actually got a break facing Russia instead of the whiz kids.
    Canada is superior to Russia in almost every facet except possibly goaltending.
    And Bobrovsky has to be sensational in order for Russia to win because that defense will almost certainly allow 40-45 SOG.
    ...I too like the young guns and the "balls to the wall" (or run & gun in polite company) style. Much more entertaining than the defensive BS. Also agree Canada has a really good shot against the Medium Red Machine, just known to be bad luck to make a prediction. Good part about the youngsters is that is the future of hockey -- amazing speed and skill.

Haven't heard about ticket sales or TV viewers. With the US and the kids out of this I'm sure the US TV share will drop to nil.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Felt for the US as well. They are getting roasted by retired alumni, present players, the US hockey fan contingent, etc... I think its unfair and short sighted. This tourney had a very small window for error. Doesn't mean that US hockey is down the tubes as many are suggesting. People who really understand the game know that at the grass roots level, USA hockey is thriving and growing...especially in non-traditional hockey markets (see Austin Matthews - Arizona). Its ridiculous the abuse the players and staff have had to put up with. If Russia beats Canada in the SF tomorrow, will I be disappointed? Yes. Will I think there should be that standard "Royal Enquiry to determine whats wrong with Canadian Hockey"? Give me a break. USA should have the same attitude. Your hockey is fine, you just lost this time.
    I really think the the majority of the criticism Team USA has faced is directed at management and the coaching staff, rather than the players themselves.
    And that criticism started before the first pre tournament game.
    A lot of people evidently saw what was coming.
    IMO, Lombardi and Tortorella are the ones who should be wearing the thorny crowns for their part.
    The whole philosophy from the outset was suspect and dated.
    Ok, we don't have the overall skill and depth to match Canada.
    That is pretty much a given.
    So the solution?
    Send a team that has even LESS skill than what is already available?
    Leave talented players at home, including one who helped win a Stanley Cup, for players with 'heart'?
    THIS is the blueprint to beat Canada?
    You can have all the grit and 'sandpaper' and 'character' and all that cliched stuff you want...but if you haven't got the skill, what does it matter?
    Lombardi and his crew were just kidding themselves.
    Not only was this team NOT built to beat Canada, it was constructed so it would be life and death to beat ANYBODY.
    And die they did.

And Tortorella....really, he was the first choice?
    He was a disaster in Vancouver, no other way to put it.
    His style is combative, contentious and always fraught with controversy.
    And what was he doing weighing in on the Colin Kaepernick thing?
    Didn't he have enough real issues to deal with already without creating one out of thin air?

Even if Team USA sent it's very best,it's doubtful they would have beaten Canada.
    But that is precisely the point people, former players especially, are making.
    This team wasn't even close to the best they could send.
    This team was constructed on a dubious philosophy based on outmoded ideas.
    The result was the team's competitiveness was compromised because it was not as skillful as it could have been.

The irony is American hockey's future is very bright, evidenced by the performance of the American players on Team NA.
    But "The Big Team' failed miserably because the management and coaching was living in the past.

Semi final 1: Canada 5, Russia 3. Don't be fooled, this game wasn't close. If it wasn't for Bobrovsky, the Russian goalie, this was about a 10-3 game. I can't recall seeing Russian team ever with as little offensive skill and pressure. They were no where, period. Canada has 4 lines that pressure you and come at you in waves one after the other. Eventually, they wear you out. Stamkos is snake bit though. He has had a million chances and couldn't find the net if it was the Pacific Ocean. Other then that I can't see Sweden or Europe beating this team 2 of 3.

Semi final 1: Canada 5, Russia 3. Don't be fooled, this game wasn't close. If it wasn't for Bobrovsky, the Russian goalie, this was about a 10-3 game. I can't recall seeing Russian team ever with as little offensive skill and pressure. They were no where, period. Canada has 4 lines that pressure you and come at you in waves one after the other. Eventually, they wear you out. Stamkos is snake bit though. He has had a million chances and couldn't find the net if it was the Pacific Ocean. Other then that I can't see Sweden or Europe beating this team 2 of 3.
    Yeah, this most likely was the best chance for Canada to lose, and they stormed back. I'm with you-I doubt anybody else takes a game, much less two, from Canada.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Yeah, this most likely was the best chance for Canada to lose, and they stormed back. I'm with you-I doubt anybody else takes a game, much less two, from Canada.
    If they could do it over again, I would bet the tournament organizers would have put Team NA in the same pool with Canada, rather than Team USA.
    It would have guaranteed at least one game between the 'Young Guns' and Canada which I think we all would have loved to have seen.
    The pity is that team will never be together again so we'll never ever see that matchup take place.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    What have the ticket sales been like ? Has the crowd atmosphere been good at the matches , even those without Canada ? Will the NHL owners regard it as a success ?

Thanks

Geoff
    Apparently not even hockey crazy Canadians buys into this ploy. The semi-final between Sweden and Team Europe is reportedly just half full in the stands despite tickets being sold for 6$ at the arena.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Europe beats Sweden in OT, so they'll play Canada in the finals

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Europe beats Sweden in OT, so they'll play Canada in the finals
    Ralph Krueger has done a brilliant job of getting the best out of this mishmash roster of players cobbled together almost as an afterthought.
    As disappointing as the play of the traditional powers has been (with one notable exception of course) the journey of Team Europe has been intriguing if not inspirational.

Can someone explain the choice of colors and logo for team europe ????

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinka View Post
    Can someone explain the choice of colors and logo for team europe ????
    The uniforms were designed by Adidas.

Here is an article on each nation's design and the reasoning behind it:

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2016/3...forms-unveiled

IHF Member
    I'm not expecting much drama in the next couple of days. Kind of like going to see "Titanic", that is, you know how it's going to end.
    But....who knows, as the saying goes, that's why they play the game. The "quilt" team might surprise.

On a positive note, if the NHL or whoever was behind this thing thought it could replace the Olympics, well it doesn't even come close.

I'm not expecting much drama in the next couple of days. Kind of like going to see "Titanic", that is, you know how it's going to end.
    But....who knows, as the saying goes, that's why they play the game. The "quilt" team might surprise.

On a positive note, if the NHL or whoever was behind this thing thought it could replace the Olympics, well it doesn't even come close.
    I agree this can't replace the Olympics, and I don't think the NHL / NHLPA is pretending it does. Babcock said as much today. The hockey has been good (sometimes spectacular) but it is missing an emotional component for me. Perhaps that will change once the final starts tonight and especially if the games are close or Team Europe wins 1 game or the whole cigar.

IHF Member

This might be the biggest anti climax since the St Louis Blues 0-12 Stanley Cup run in 1968, 69 and 70.
    Most of the games the Blues played back then were respectable scores but you knew damn well they weren't going to win.
    Same here with Team Europe. Halak will keep it close, at least for a while.
    It might wind up 3-1 tonight but SOG will be like 45-15.
    Put it this way...if they're still playing on Oct 1st I will be shocked.

IHF Member
    Team Europe deserves credit for making the most of this tournament. I was mildly surprised to hear about empty seats at the ACC. If I was in TO I'd try and grab one of those discount scalper tics.

I agree this can't replace the Olympics, and I don't think the NHL / NHLPA is pretending it does.
    Today Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reports that NHL deputy director Bill Daly is more negative on the prospects of NHL players in the Olympics than he was two weeks ago based on the lack of progress in negotiations over the last six months. He also sees no signs of future progress.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

In a new Puck Daddy article, Brett Hull was pretty critical about Team USA's management: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brett-h...154211651.html

IHF Member
    Well something was clearly wrong...refreshing he actually will say something about it.

I guess Marchand proves he belongs at this thing. There was a bit of controversy about him but he's played really well and avoided most of the stupid stuff.

IHF Member
    Right....like I was saying, Marchand deserves to be on this team....

IHF Member
    Right....like I was saying, Marchand deserves to be on this team....
    Team Europe were very unlucky that they didn't force a Game 3.
    They led the game for 40 minutes, took the play to Canada for the most part but just couldn't close the deal.
    I thought Canada was in second gear in Game 1 and tonight they were a notch below even that.
    But they managed to eke out the win and end this tournament that nobody seemed to want.

If most of the hockey world was indifferent about this event then perhaps in 4 years things will be different.
    Because I really don't think the NHL will be in Korea for 2018.
    The standoff between the NHL and the IOC is reaching critical mass.

IHF Member
    Some thoughts on the latest edition of the World Cup...

Seems the overall reaction to the event was pretty underwhelming, especially outside of Canada.
    I bet most of America wasn't even aware this was going on, much less care.
    Sometimes the universe doesn't unfold as it should and it certainly was the case for this World Cup.
    It was pretty obvious it was set up for a Canada-USA finale.
    While Canada did its part, Team USA crashed and burned under the chaotic leadership of Tortorella, Burke and Lombardi.
    In their misguided obsession to build a team to beat Canada, Hockey USA forgot they had to beat the other countries too.
    They wound up accomplishing neither.

The story of the tournament without doubt were the respective performances of the two composite teams, North America and Europe.
    Derided at first as gimmicks these two teams, employing styles of play that were the antithesis of each other, provided the most intriguing storylines of the whole event.
    Team North America, or 'The Young Guns' were easily the most entertaining team in the event.
    Their firewagon brand of hockey made it worth watching and were extremely unlucky to miss the playoff.
    Team Europe, OTOH, were methodical and cautious and played within their limits.
    They were the oldest team by far but used their collective experience and the coaching of Ralph Krueger to make an improbable appearnce in the final.
    And even though they were swept 2 straight by Canada, for long stretches of time, especially in game 2, Europe was the better team.
    Last edited by Heatleysucks; 01-10-2016 at 15:51.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information