Thread: Expensive hit

Expensive hit

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reports that this hit by Boston's Brad Marchand, turning Ottawa defender Mark Borowiecki on his head will be an expensive one.

A US$1.3mio and a three game suspension has been awarded by the Department of Player Safety. This means that Marchand will miss the Winter Classic outdoor game.

I cannot understand that the he got away without a penalty during the game as Borowiecki wasn't even eligible to hit...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    I cannot understand that the he got away without a penalty during the game as Borowiecki wasn't even eligible to hit...
    I cannot understand it either.
    I thought that is why there is a two ref system in the first place...to see ALL of what is going on.
    How BOTH refs could miss it is a disgrace.
    Boroweicki could have very easily been seriously injured.
    It was a blindside hit on an unsuspecting player....in other words, another day at the office for Marchand.

Marchand was suspended 3 games, and will give up salary for those 3 games I assume. Can't stand him. He is a repeat offender and has absolutely no respect for his opponents. His illegal hits are potentially career ending going after guys' knees. Can't believe the suspension was only 3 games. They need to throw the book at this guy and I would love to see him out of the league entirely, although I know that is not going to happen. Mark my words, one day he will seriously injure someone and only then will the NHL do something significant. Why the referee's didn't call him for clipping, I have no idea.

Glad the Habs handed it to the Bruins 5-1 in the outdoor game. Bruins were clearly impacted by their missing players. Marchand should know his selfish plays don't only effect his individual play

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Glad the Habs handed it to the Bruins 5-1 in the outdoor game. Bruins were clearly impacted by their missing players. Marchand should know his selfish plays don't only effect his individual play
    Yes, the Bruins clearly missed those players.
    And Montreal benefited enormously by having Brendan Gallagher finally back in the lineup.
    The Habs endured a miserable month of December without him (and Price) but he impacted yesterday's game immediately.
    His play affected his team mates as they got back that confidence and swagger they had been sorely missing the last month.

Thread Information