Germany
    Austria
    Japan

Group F: TBA (Norway)
    Norway
    France
    Kazakhstan
    Italy

So with yesterday’s results the groups for the final Olympic Qualification round in September have been set.

Like in 2013 Belarus, Denmark and Slovenia will be facing each other, the difference compared to 2013 being that Poland has replaced Ukraine.

In Riga, the home team has been joined by German & Austria (those two were also part of the same group back in 2013) and Japan.

Kazakhstan and France have also once again ended up in the same group and together with Italy they will be playing Norway.

Interesting groups to say the least.

3 unpredictable groups. Especially group F where there is no clear outsider. Gonna be fun (and stressful) to follow these tournaments.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Staff
    That's gonna be an interesting early highlight of the coming season. I wonder to what extent North-America based players will be part of these tournaments. Widespread availability of NHL/AHL etc. players would imho be a pretty big factor to influence the teams' chances.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    That's gonna be an interesting early highlight of the coming season. I wonder to what extent North-America based players will be part of these tournaments. Widespread availability of NHL/AHL etc. players would imho be a pretty big factor to influence the teams' chances.
    Should be a possibility:

The Final Olympic Qualification will be played from 1-4 September 2016. Thanks to the dates, teams can potentially use NHL players.
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/archive/

Though since "Team Europe" is scheduled to start preparing for the World Cup in early September it might prove quite difficult to secure the release of the players selected for that particular tournament.

I think if Kopitar decides to play the tournament there's not much the NHL can do about it... it's not regular season or even training camp stuff.
    Without Kopitar I think Group D will come down to Belarus-Denmark.... but we thought that last time too right? Slovenia can pull off another miracle.
    Group E will be very tight: Latvia-Germany-Austria will be interesting.
    Group F looks like the clearest choice: Norway is a notch above France and Kazakhstan, and two above Japan.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    I think if Kopitar decides to play the tournament there's not much the NHL can do about it... it's not regular season or even training camp stuff.
    Without Kopitar I think Group D will come down to Belarus-Denmark.... but we thought that last time too right? Slovenia can pull off another miracle.
    Group E will be very tight: Latvia-Germany-Austria will be interesting.
    Group F looks like the clearest choice: Norway is a notch above France and Kazakhstan, and two above Japan.
    Can say that given how our recent games against Slovenia have turned out, it won’t be an easy match for Denmark, Belarus might have little concern but in such a short tournament it can be a very dangerous team and that’s even without Kopitar in the lineup.

Though would make the argument that Denmark, at least to an extent might be the team with the biggest question marks, cause whereas you sort of knows what Belarus and Slovenia will be bringing, this would be the first time that a Danish team, potentially could use all of its NA based player, which depending on what the coaching staff decides, would amount to 6-9 addtional players.

And while none of our established NHL’ers are “tier I” talent like a Kopitar, it still would be an significant addition to a roster, that already includes a solid core of players from the KHL, SHL & DEL.

Naturally adding this number of players also means new line combos and that usually takes time to work…and whether it overall will be enough to beat both Belarus, playing at home and a Slovenian team lead by Kopitar is obviously an open question

Thread Information